Other Metagames [SwSh Camomons] Scatman's World

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

Click any Pokemon above for the paste!

There may be a lot of people here who may deem this generation of Pokemon repulsive due to lots of factors (Dexit being the major contributor). The official metagames for this generation has gotten extremely different compared to the older generations wherein they just have to deal with the power creep brought by incrementing features in the succeeding generations (Mega Evolutions in XY/ORAS, Z-Crystals in USUM). I myself can attest to this affair, as I once tried to get my hands dirty in the SwSh UU metagame upon the release of Pokemon Home, and I witness how drastically different the atmosphere of the metagame is just by lurking through the UU community forum.

However, there is one metagame that I loved the most albeit unofficial thanks to its modification of mechanics - as simple as it looks. Unlike its brethren from the Smogon Other Metagames Department (Balanced Hackmons, Mix and Mega, Almost Any Ability, and STABmons), there is a lot to offer with the Camomons metagame despite the drastic changes GameFreak implemented this generation without it being way too overwhelming with some of the DLC releases, and this is why I devoted myself to making this metagame more alive than ever, in the hopes of giving it a permanent fixture in the Other Metagames Department.

At the tail end of Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon generation, Juno and Estarossa hosted the USUM CamUUmons Tournament that got me hooked to the metagame, and I nearly topped the Camomons ladder using one of the CamUUmons teams that I modified for the big leagues. However, last November - upon the release of the Sword/Shield games, I’ve gotten disappointed with the news In The Hills brought up to me: that Camomons will not be given official representation in the Other Metagames Department. That triggered me to make a farewell address to the Underused Community after participating in the first SwSh Camomons Tournament hosted by In The Hills himself, but I wasn’t given the green light by Sage and A Cake Wearing A Hat that time because of how “grandiose my presentation is for something that miscellaneous”. From there, I continued lurking up until March where the pandemic started hitting in our country and quarantine protocols are set, and then eventually returned to Pokemon Showdown because of Other Metagames Premier League pushing through earlier than the expected date to cater before the Isle of Armor DLC and most notably, Camomons being inserted in that team tournament. During my stint in the Other Metagames Premier League, In The Hills has asked me to be part of the Camomons Council, which I wholeheartedly (albeit reluctantly at first) accepted because of my desire to keep the metagame alive. Getting inspired from LittleRunnerXC’s (and my sister’s fiance's) YouTube ventures helped me greatly in bolstering my contributions in the said metagame.

reanimation.png
Come the release of the Isle of Armor DLC in May, I have lots of things in mind to take advantage of some of the new and returning Pokemon, and this is one of the teams that I built and eventually offered to In The Hills as part of the Sample Teams for starters to learn how the Camomons metagame works. This team was actually patterned after the aforementioned “Capacities” from USUM Camomons thanks to the formula (which I deem classic to me) for a Balance team: Speed control, wall-breaker, two-Pokemon defensive core, and two-Pokemon set-up core. However, in comparison to the team that will be presented in this RMT article, I believe the version you're going to see later is a much better version because the selection of Pokemon switches gears up a bit with the intel-gaining and momentum-boosting moves coming from half of the Pokemon, and the defensive core isn’t of the boring kind, but something that can bring some form of offensive pressure as well. Just because of these types of modifications, I believe that this team is now geared more towards bulky offense than a classic balanced take.

Fast forward to this October, the metagame is bound to transition itself to a new era with the Crown Tundra DLC about to be released in a few days. To be honest, I’ve gotten into a team building slump over the past few months after crafting lots of tryhard Camomons teams and trying to get some inspiration from other people, until my fellow UU colleague, DraconicLepus, through her participation in the SwSh CamUUmons Tournament I’m hosting, discovered a Rhyperior set that hasn’t been explored much, and it eventually caught my attention and eventually helped her craft a team that eventually brought me to the top of the Camomons ladder for the first time - under the alias rillaboom boom pow. Not to mention, DraconicLepus used the team as well in majority of her matches and shattered the 1500 ceiling and got her to the Top 10 of the Camomons ladder.

Ladder ratings for both rillaboom boom pow and DraconicLepus as of 17 October 2020, 9:00 PM GMT +8

What brought me to use a team with the foundations coming from DraconicLepus is that the draft of her team featured a Rhyperior that gave her good experiences with it since her participation in the SwSh CamUUmons Tournament. The bulk high enough to take hits and survive, and the attacking prowess powerful enough to take down most walls especially when complemented by Swords Dance are clearly its greatest attributes. Donning a type combination similar to Empoleon with Lightning Rod, it is capable of fooling opponents thinking Electric attacks can be taken advantage of.

Since she attempted to try building a Rhyperior team to cater to the regular Camomons environment, she wanted to try out (Single Strike) Urshifu thanks to the one move that made opposing Pokemon boosting their Defense stats think twice before they do, and that attribute alone doubled Rhyperior’s capabilities as a wall breaker. And then, I just asked her to build a team around those two Pokemon while I’m doing stuff in real life. Eventually, she ended up showing me a draft of that team which initially included Necrozma, and I found the draft interesting to a point that I asked her to complete the sets and consequently completed that process herself!

With that, she ended up introducing Mew to the team due to its ability to check Pokemon with Fighting attacks (and Ground in Rhyperior’s case) not necessarily augmented by STAB that are capable of taking Rhyperior and Urshifu down. She then brought up Dragapult in the mix as Dragapult’s blistering high Speed allows it to serve as a revenge killer against most Pokemon attempting to boost their Speed; not to mention the Dragapult + Urshifu pairing is capable of gaining momentum and gaining intel about the opposing player’s possible switch-ins through U-turn. Next, she brought up Rillaboom as one of the strong win conditions for the team as, alongside Rhyperior, it is capable of taking down even the bulkiest of Pokemon by virtue of Swords Dance-boosted attacks and its Grassy Glide being boosted with priority thanks to its ability to set up Grassy Terrain. Finally, while she initially chose Necrozma, Volcarona ended up as another win condition for the team as it is one of the point Pokemon against some Steel Pokemon Urshifu may not be able to take on.

My small but significant contributions in her team building process - which brought me to use her team as it is my own as well - are the EV optimizations on Mew, Rhyperior, and Volcarona, and the choice of items between Dragapult and Urshifu. Despite those small nuances, DraconicLepus and I noted that there are some notable flaws in the team to a point that we actually look for other possible options such as Lycanroc-Dusk over Urshifu for a more reliable priority attack (Accelerock), and a Mew with a Flying attack to deal with Fighting-types better (especially when facing Guts users). However, I do believe that the output of the original team can deliver consistent results, especially when playing around some of the threats lurking in the metagame - common and uncommon ones alike.

The next part of this RMT article will be showcasing each Pokemon’s capabilities. If you may notice about the pattern of presenting each Pokemon in the RMT articles I’ve written so far, I somehow treat this as if I composed a sonata - allegro form. It starts first with the “exposition”: the Pokemon that can either bring immediate firepower to the opposition, or, in the Camomons metagame in particular, gain intel on the opposing player’s possible switch-ins and their respective type combinations by virtue of momentum-boosting moves (U-turn, Volt Switch, Flip Turn, Teleport); it mostly comprises Choice attackers or simply offensively-geared Pokemon with little (at least an entry hazard) to no set-up at all. It then proceeds with the “development” part: it mostly comprises the team’s defensive backbone that provides all the support needed for key Pokemon to flourish. It finally ends with “recapitulation”, which is essentially the material developed from both the exposition and development parts: in this case, the Pokemon that will be deemed as the win condition(s) once the battle conditions have already taken shape.

With that, I hope that this very first SwSh Camomons RMT article (let alone the very first Camomons RMT article ever written), I could give inspiration to the novices who wish to get their hands dirty in this metagame and to the veterans who want to search for more ways of building teams. Allow me to introduce myself: I am Euphonos, the Camomons Meteorologist of Pokemon Showdown, bringing you this weather report RMT article showcasing the inner workings of the SwSh Camomons team DraconicLepus and I built, consequently entitled “Scatman’s World”!

The first Pokemon that I’m going to reveal happened to be one of the first Pokemon that caught DraconicLepus’s attention upon attempting to build a team for the regular Camomons environment. It is known to have its signature move as its greatest asset, and crafting a Choice Band set would bring out the best in that Pokemon to bring immediate firepower to the opposition. This Pokemon I am referring to is no other than Single Strike Urshifu.

Game Over Jazz (Urshifu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Urshifu has huge competition with Lycanroc-Dusk as one of the hard-hitting physically offensive Dark/Fighting Pokemon in the Camomons metagame. While we acknowledge Lycanroc-Dusk’s ability to hit hard thanks to the new arsenal of physical attacks boosted by Tough Claws (and we actually consider Lycanroc-Dusk over Urshifu at one point), Urshifu’s ability to gain momentum and intel by virtue of U-turn and to break Pokemon even with their defenses boosted through its signature move Wicked Blow is too good to pass up.

Wicked Blow is Urshifu’s greatest attribute, and the team’s prized asset: it allows Urshifu to bypass its Attack drops and bypass opposing Pokemon’s Defense boosts as it always scores a Critical Hit, except for Pokemon donning Battle Armor and Shell Armor abilities. Then, Close Combat completes the type combination we wanted on Urshifu (while it does look normal because of its original type combination) while dealing consistently high general damage output against several opposing Pokemon. Sucker Punch, while sketchy and takes lots of guts and willpower to pull off, serves as one form of increased priority for this team as priority becomes a trend - almost to a point of necessity - in any Camomons team at this very moment given the amount of fast threats lurking in this metagame. Finally, U-turn serves as a way of boosting momentum and gaining intel on opposing player’s possible switch-ins and their respective type combinations. There will be two more Pokemon who have access to U-turn and other momentum-boosting moves, and they’re one of the keys to success whenever you build offensively-geared teams like this.

The EV spread for Urshifu screams standard: outrun as many Pokemon as possible by maximizing the Speed stat coupled with a Jolly Nature, allowing it to tie with Jolly Haxorus and opposing Jolly Urshifu (whether Single or Rapid), and deal as much damage as possible to the opposition by maximizing its Attack. Choice Band is the chosen item to bring out the best in Urshifu’s wall-breaking potential through its same-type-attack-boosted Wicked Blow and Close Combat; however, you can consider Choice Scarf as a way of outrunning opposing Dark/Fighting Lycanroc-Dusk more reliably (at the cost of a rather disappointing damage output with Wicked Blow - based on DraconicLepus’s experience), or Black Glasses if you’re paranoid of getting locked into a wrong move and lose momentum along the way.

Why should we be pleasing in the politician heathens
who would try to change the seasons if they could?

While Urshifu gravitates toward putting immediate firepower to the opposition, this Pokemon is more focused towards taking out naturally fast threats and getting momentum and gaining intel integral to the success of the team. Unsurprisingly, the Pokemon DraconicLepus chose is no other than Dragapult, the Pokemon best fit for the team.

Quiet Desperation (Dragapult) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn

Dragapult happens to be one of the sought-after Pokemon apart from Mew in Camomons thanks to its blistering high Speed stat, a multitude of type combinations, and a plethora of possible roles. This Dragapult, working alongside Urshifu, serves as the “engine” of the team that sets the tone of the match by virtue of gathering intel and keeping the momentum alive through U-turn or taking down key Pokemon that may deem troublesome to the whole team - in this case, taking down naturally fast threats.

Apparently, like Urshifu, we ended up giving Dragapult its original Dragon/Ghost type combination through Draco Meteor and Shadow Ball because this combination can offer a good set of resistances and immunities despite its mediocre bulk, as such, it can probably survive some strong resisted hits and set the tone of the match. While those three aforementioned moves serve their purpose, no matter how standard it looks, we ended up putting Hydro Pump on the last slot because of how paranoid DraconicLepus is against Pokemon donning a part-Fire type - something that I cannot deny as well.

Like Urshifu’s, the EV spread for Dragapult screams straightforward by maximizing its Special Attack stat to deal as much damage as it could, and maximizing its Speed stat coupled with a Timid nature in order to outrun as many Pokemon as it could - even Agility from a Modest Porygon-Z. Speaking of which, this is where Choice Scarf being the item of choice kicks in: while it seems unconventional because Dragapult is usually perceived by a lot of people to be fast enough to outrun those threats, there are lots of Pokemon who use Speed-boosting moves such as Agility, Dragon Dance, and Quiver Dance to good effect that banking on Urshifu’s Sucker Punch would deem a game over when the opponent plays around with such moves. As such, Dragapult with a Choice Scarf serves its purpose extremely well: you might find Dragapult’s damage output a little disappointing, but don’t worry about it; it’s mostly designed as a revenge killer anyway once the target Pokemon is sufficiently weakened.

The state of the condition insults my intuition
and it only makes me crazy and a heart like wood.

When it comes to building successful bulky offense / balanced teams like this, a defensive backbone is one of those materials, and they usually consist of two Pokemon primarily providing key support options to make the rest of the Pokemon’s efforts worthwhile. The first half of the defensive backbone I’ll be revealing happens to be the Pokemon who can easily fit into literally any team thanks to its good all-around stats and a massive movepool to choose from, and it is no other than the face of the Camomons metagame: Mew.

Only You (Mew) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

In the earlier stages of the Camomons metagame, Mew is touted as one of the prominent threats thanks to its plethora of attacks alongside numerous boosting moves in its arsenal. However, with more offensive juggernauts running around this metagame after the release of Isle of Armor, Mew’s prominence as an offensive threat has somehow diminished (and could diminish more after the upcoming release of Crown Tundra), and more defensive counterparts have gained traction. Electric/Flying Mew definitely is the most widely-used variant in the metagame for both its offensive and defensive merits: its ability to reliably take on some of the most physically-imposing threats such as Rillaboom (non-Dark), Scizor (without Knock Off), and Haxorus (without Rock Slide or Swords Dance-boosted Outrage) and at the same time setting up Nasty Plot and win games with ease.

This Mew, while still donning the classic Zapdos type combination, is geared towards providing utility for the team, and instead of using Nasty Plot to win games - something other Pokemon in this team can do - the greatest selling point for this defensive Mew is Will-O-Wisp, which allows Mew to render most physically-imposing threats useless for the remainder of the match. Alongside the two aforementioned Pokemon Dragapult and Urshifu who have U-turn, Mew gets Volt Switch to further bolster the team’s intel-gathering and momentum-boosting properties and is placed on the first slot to gain that Electric typing. Completing its classic Zapdos type combination are Defog and Roost (that can be used on either second and third slot respectively, which doesn’t matter - as long as the second slot is a Flying move) to clear mostly Spikes in the field and to recover the damage lost, a recipe for a solid defensive Pokemon like Mew.

While the EV spread for Mew is somehow straightforward as it is geared towards taking physical hits very well, I actually put a threshold so as to take advantage of jump points, and then placing the rest of the EVs into Speed so as to outrun some relatively fast support-based Pokemon. This generation, Heavy-Duty Boots has been a godsend for those Pokemon who are weak to Stealth Rock, and this defensive Mew is no exception, as it allows to switch in freely without taking any damage, but the reason why I put 240 EVs into Mew’s HP is because in case Mew’s Heavy-Duty Boots gets Knocked Off, it maintains an odd number to allow Mew to switch into Stealth Rock five times instead of four - provided Mew got itself to full health with Roost after taking damage.

Everyone stutters one way or the other,
so check out my message to you.

While DraconicLepus wanted to try out Urshifu as she was getting her hands dirty in the regular Camomons environment, there is one Pokemon that caught her attention since her participation in the SwSh CamUUmons Tournament I hosted. It happened to be the other half of the team’s defensive backbone and, at the same time, the focal point of the team’s inception, and that Pokemon I am referring to is no other than Rhyperior.

Mambo Jumbo (Rhyperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Rhyperior’s towering physical presence (high HP, Attack, and Defense) allows it to take on nearly every physically offensive Pokemon, and it can surprisingly take on numerous roles, from being an outright wall to a bulky Swords Dance / Choice Band attacker. Those aforementioned attributes show why we view Rhyperior as one of the hidden gems worth exploring in the Camomons metagame, and an underrated threat worth treading.

In the Camomons metagame, there are surprisingly lots of options for Rhyperior to choose from depending on the team’s needs - from its original Rock/Ground type combination, to a Steel/Dragon one, even to a Water/Ghost variant which I normally use in the earlier stages (especially with my paranoia against Toxtricity, lol). However, there’s one type combination that DraconicLepus brought up to me that she had good experience with, and it’s no other than Water/Steel, by virtue of Aqua Tail and Iron Head. Not to mention, giving Rhyperior a part-Water type allows it to take advantage of Lightning Rod, which, when combined with Steel, allows it to become one of the most prominent answers against Electric/Ice Porygon-Z and offensive Electric/Flying Mew variants, some of the more threatening specially offensive Pokemon in Camomons. While it may be debatable whether we put either Iron Head or Heavy Slam into the slot that will complete Rhyperior’s desired type combination, I vouch more for Iron Head for the sake of damage consistency and higher PP count over Heavy Slam which is overly reliant on weight to maximize its damage output; heavier Pokemon While stacking with other hazards such as Spikes would be appreciated in this team, there weren’t any space for those utility options; therefore Stealth Rock is the sole entry hazard to set up, and Rhyperior is more than fit for that job. Finally, what sets this Rhyperior apart from its defensive counterparts is the use of Swords Dance, which doubles as another wall breaker to tear down opposing key Pokemon in the field.

This EV spread is actually mirrored from an early Rhyperior tank set (can’t remember whether that’s coming from BW OU) which eventually influenced players to give EV investment to Mega Aggron and Mega Steelix in ORAS onward. Thanks to its part-Steel typing which is actually designed to take Special hits better, I nearly maximized its Special Defense stat despite its rather low base stat, alongside nearly maximizing its HP EVs (248 HP) which fortunately granted it a magic number for Leftovers recovery. Finally, I put in 16 EVs in Attack, coupled with an Adamant nature, to provide the minimum jump point which allows to still deal high damage especially with Swords Dance in its arsenal.

As a matter of fact, I don't let nothing hold you back;
if the Scatman can do it, so can you.

And now we proceed to the “recapitulation” part of the team, wherein the conditions of the battle have taken shape thanks to the intel gathering roles brought by Urshifu, Dragapult, and Mew, and the initial tactical takedowns brought by the former two and Rhyperior. This Pokemon would then stack Urshifu’s and Rhyperior’s capabilities as wall breakers, and at the same time, serve as one of the win conditions thanks to its newly-released hidden ability and newly-released move from Isle of Armor. This Pokemon is no other than Rillaboom.

skibabopbadopbop (Rillaboom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- High Horsepower
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Upon the release of the Galarian Starters’ Hidden Abilities, Rillaboom has turned the tides in the Camomons metagame from a rather mediocre Pokemon to one of the top-tier metagame contenders thanks to Grassy Surge which sets up Grassy Terrain upon entry, and the Isle of Armor’s newest tutor move Grassy Glide which gains priority with Grassy Terrain active. Grassy Terrain allows it to provide “Leftovers recovery” after each turn for five turns, which actually help support the Urshifu + Dragapult intel core and boosts Rhyperior’s recovery (if with Leftovers intact), halving the number of turns it takes to fully recover provided it doesn’t take any damage.

Rillaboom’s Attack stat is already high, but complementing with Swords Dance makes it one of the most fearsome wallbreakers in the metagame, and in particular, this team really appreciates overwhelming stall archetypes with Swords Dance attackers such as Rhyperior and Rillaboom. Grassy Glide is definitely the golden standard in the first slot: with STAB and Grassy Terrain, Grassy Glide is more than enough to deal damage without any much drawbacks. Working alongside Grassy Glide is High Horsepower to complete Rillaboom’s Grass/Ground type combination. While its base power is marginally less than Earthquake, Grassy Terrain reduces Earthquake’s base power, and thus resorting to High Horsepower to maintain its high damage output. Finally, Knock Off is placed in the third slot as it is one of the best moves in this generation: thanks to the lack of appropriate Mega Stones and Z-Crystals, taking out the likes of Leftovers and Heavy-Duty Boots will generally serve useful for this team in the long run.

The EV spread for Rillaboom screams straightforward, however, an Adamant nature is placed over its usual Jolly one because an Adamant nature maximizes the damage output Grassy Glide brings under Grassy Terrain, not to mention it gains priority under that field effect. Also, Life Orb is actually one of the best items for Swords Dance Rillaboom because Grassy Terrain will end up recovering some of the damage caused by Life Orb, which means more opportunities to attack whenever possible. However, a Lum Berry would deem beneficial as this team lacks a Pokemon who can absorb Status conditions, especially burns, and it will especially work out against Defensive Electric/Flying Mew with Will-O-Wisp attempting to stop Rillaboom from doing its function as a wall breaker.

While you're still sleeping, the saints are still weeping
'cause things you called dead haven't yet had the chance to be born.

Lastly, we move on to this Pokemon who doubles as a win condition, this time, focusing on the Special side of the attacking spectrum. DraconicLepus would’ve chosen Heat Wave Necrozma in this affair, but she ended up choosing this Pokemon due to its ability to set up Quiver Dances with relative ease this generation. This Pokemon is no other than Volcarona.

Popstar (Volcarona) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 168 HP / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Roost
- Quiver Dance

Interestingly, Volcarona is one of those Pokemon who has gained traction lately as one of the premier late-game attackers in Camomons because of one metagame-defining item this generation: Heavy-Duty Boots. That item allows Volcarona and other Pokemon to switch in for free without having to take a huge chunk of its health due to entry hazards, most especially Stealth Rock.

While Fire/Grass is a more common type combination, and Fire/Flying is becoming more noticeable these days, Fire/Psychic still maintains its reputation as one of the most sought-after threats in the Camomons metagame. To start off, Flamethrower is the Fire move of choice here: while Fiery Dance is definitely a good move to boost its Special Attack more, and Fire Blast looks tempting for a more high-octane offense, Flamethrower’s higher PP count than Fiery Dance and higher accuracy than Fire Blast help deliver consistent results, especially being able to set up multiple Quiver Dances has become easier than last generation thanks to Heavy-Duty Boots. Psychic being the sole attack that can gain Volcarona’s part-Psychic typing is actually enough to deal another wave of consistent damage against some of those Pokemon that can take on Flamethrowers reliably. With Volcarona’s role being a bulky set-up attacker, Roost is there to provide some form of longevity especially this Pokemon could attempt to stop physically offensive Pokemon from functioning their role as wall breakers thanks to Flame Body.

DraconicLepus wanted this Volcarona to take some hits better, so I ended up crafting a certain EV spread for it, and this is out of my obsession-compulsion on the magic number for Leftovers recovery despite not having Leftovers in it. While it is actually a toss-up with the 104 HP / 152 SpA / 252 Spe spread, I ended up doing 168 HP / 88 SpA / 252 Spe as I find it the most optimized to at least take some hits better while setting up multiple Quiver Dances with relative ease.

The team was built during the time Camomons was selected as Other Metagame of the Month for October, and as I gave it numerous matches on the ladder, it actually didn’t disappoint to a point that it actually topped the ladder for a few days. However, testing the team is definitely not a smooth-sailing journey, and DraconicLepus and I actually had some other ideas because we thought that the team doesn’t exactly work the way we planned. Over time, this original variation of the team has consistently delivered, and that alone is more than enough for me, and I’m proud of DraconicLepus for completing the process of building a Camomons team that shows lots of promise. That said, there are some flaws that there were some considerations put into place that could improve its chances against some of the match-ups.

The more I get to know the team better, the more I realize this team only has one Dark-type in the team, not to mention this team got surprisingly successful without putting a Fairy-type in it. That has some repercussions though as Lycanroc-Dusk and opposing Single Strike Urshifu variants donning the Dark/Fighting type combination will find a way to take advantage of this lowkey flaw. Lycanroc-Dusk may set up Swords Dance on a defensive Electric/Flying Mew and will definitely outrun Rillaboom with a priority-boosted Sucker Punch (which is almost tantamount to a game over on my end), and this Urshifu might just have to stay in against opposing Urshifu’s attacks to either sacrifice itself or to go to Mew.

However, I realized recently that one of the best solutions I can come up with to solve this team’s greatest weakness is to change Mew’s one vital move, from Volt Switch to Dazzling Gleam. The loss of Volt Switch does mean gathering intel will not be Mew’s claim to fame, but that move simply converts it to a Fairy/Flying type combination, which allows Mew to take on almost all Lycanroc-Dusk variants (though Fairy Lycanroc could still be a pain to deal with) and most Dark/Fighting Single Strike Urshifu much better (although Dark/Poison ones may be a different story all together), but at the expense of Rhyperior getting all the dirty work taking Dual Wingbeats from Scizor and Hurricanes from Electric/Flying Mew.

Only You (Mew) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Defog
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp / Heal Bell / Volt Switch

Defensive Electric/Flying Mew will only be considered a threat to this team if it contains Will-O-Wisp, a move that can potentially stop Urshifu, Rhyperior, and Rillaboom from fulfilling their roles as wall breakers. As such, I mentioned earlier that a Lum Berry can be considered over Life Orb on Rillaboom in case of facing defensive threats like these. I had this replay against Break his neck! (not sure if hiding under an alt or something) on the ladder wherein I nearly actually had him on the ladder thanks to the pressure brought by Rillaboom even when burned just because I set up Swords Dance multiple times, but it really shows how status, Will-O-Wisp in particular, would be a huge pain to deal with especially the team lacking a Heal Bell user, which the team greatly appreciates, though the slight loss of momentum could be a bit game-changing at times.

While Rhyperior can handle part-Electric variations of Porygon-Z just fine (most especially Electric/Ice), Dark/Ghost ones (in particular) may be a different story as a threat worth treading. Scouting for Porygon-Z’s item will deem tricky in this instance (especially no Pokemon here has Frisk and Knock Off only reveals the item when it’s Knocked Off), so careful play will be necessary (and possibly one of the biggest reasons for putting Fairy/Flying on Mew) in this instance. Regardless, Dragapult will be able to outrun Porygon-Z as long as it’s slightly weakened; Rillaboom takes advantage of Grassy Terrain-boosted Grassy Glide to nab a KO before it does - provided that any of the Pokemon in the team fainted from Porygon-Z’s attacks.

We all know that the Crown Tundra DLC will be released in a few days time. While the huge question of whether this team can adapt to the changes brought by the Crown Tundra DLC, the key reason why I actually wanted to post this team is because it’s the very first time a Camomons team will be featured as an RMT thread as a message that Camomons is definitely one of the best Other Metagames to learn with. Heck, even DraconicLepus, whom I consider as one of the newcomers to the realm of Camomons, actually get to new heights she didn’t expect to reach, and it’s all because of her mind being receptive to every nuance the metagame has to offer, and luckily enough, she brought those things up to me that actually gave some form of inspiration in completing an actual solid Camomons team.

To the UnderUsed community (Juno, Estarossa, A Cake Wearing A Hat, and vivalospride, among others), fellow Camomons Council colleagues (In The Hills, Chazm, Andyboy, a loser) and community members (The Number Man, Karl Dude Guy, Don Vascus, anaconja, among others), the NFE community (SBPC, Tack, Fille, and Shing'n Streets, among others), the 1v1 community (Akumajou, superstrike66, Downcoming3, Murman0064, among others), and all other subgroups intertwining in between (TMM, Kaif, DEG, RaJ.Shoot, and Dj Breloominati♬ , among others), thank you for allowing me to share a part of me in this journey.

Ladies and gentlemen, this now concludes my RMT article entitled “Scatman’s World”. I would like to thank you all for reading a whole chunk of text (please bear with me, lol!), and I hope I do inspire you - whether novice or veteran - to get some form of inspiration whenever you build teams, most especially with the Camomons metagame. As what Scatman John would say, "Don't let nothing hold you back, if the Scatman can do it, so can you." Have a great day, everyone!

P.S.: I blame Stoward for bringing Scatman to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)