Resource SWSH RU Short Questions and Short Answers

What are the major threats that should be foremost in my mind when teambuilding for this tier? Never really played RU before but it looks kinda fun

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sigi is the immediate one that should come to your mind. Sigilyph sits on a rather privilegued speed tier by the average speed tiers standards and the immense movepool of coverage and cosmic power with flame orb shenanigans make it very unpredictable so always have this one in this back of your head.

The few dark types that are available can be imperative to keeping this at bay (never though Id say this about sigilyph but hey, life gives you funny twists) so mons like Sableye, Skuntank, Shiftry and what not are good picks. Checking it offensively with mons that can kill it first like Boltund, or mons that can boost alongside it like Ninetales that can win the 1v1 help against it as well (not Salazzle, not Z-Moves and dies to psychic coverage, but specs fire blast probably cooks sigilyph). Specially Defensive mons like Gigalith and Snorlax also can help handle it. Some Ghost types like Froslass and Hex Wisp Jellicent are good picks too. Id say Cursola but that probably get merked by Psyshock and I see Sigilyph preferring psyshock in this meta

Vanilluxe is also straight up a big ass threat due to the veil and the tier not having that many ice resists. The veil aspect can be super dumb tho since it provides some already difficult mons to handle even more leisure to setup like barbaracle and *insert random setup sweeper* here. Prepare good ice resists, here Snorlax is again a good pick and I see mons like Steelvally, Escavalier, and Fire-types are good to handle this. Mr. Rime cause screen cleaner is a phenomenal ability, and slap brick break on a mon that can have it for coverage just in case.

From there... the meta is 1 day old but we are all gonna be learning alongside you so stay tuned.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The general rule to stop barbaracle from wrecking havoc is to have the least amount of things it can setup on, fighters like bewear, passimian, and electric types among other things can stop it from setting up. Prankster users like Whimsicott and Sableye can mess it up through encore or priority will-o-wisp. Thanks to no z-moves gourgeist is back to walling it 100%. Offensive pressure is good so you can pick it up with a revenge killer or priority, always think on minimizing your sacks to one that can get a big hit on barbaracle and then see how you can pick it up with priority or a scarfer or what not, in case you dont have a hard stop to it.

What about Turtonator as a spinner?

Turtonator (Turtonator) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Abillity: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Shell Trap
- Body Press
- Will-O-Wisp

Can this be viable?

How do you guys handle Sableye besides strong special attackers, toxic or dark types? This thing just prankster burn everything and then spam prankster recover. Encore makes setting up to break through impossible.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
How do you guys handle Sableye besides strong special attackers, toxic or dark types? This thing just prankster burn everything and then spam prankster recover. Encore makes setting up to break through impossible.
Pangoro is definitely an answer to this thing since it's immune to Prankster effects and has Scrappy. Fairies like Alcremie and Whimsicott also help. You could run a physical fairy but it's risky. Hope this helps! :blobthumbsup:

Denial

formerly Lunala
is a Past WCoP Champion
I always seem to have a Pangoro weakness in my teams. What Pokémon/cores can you use to check/counter it?
there isnt really anything that can counter pangoro. the better way to check it is with offensive pressure or you could run something weak to cc with protect + fairy type on the back, obv this doesnt help vs SD sets but CB seems to be the most popular set anyway rn.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I always seem to have a Pangoro weakness in my teams. What Pokémon/cores can you use to check/counter it?
The only actual counter is probably physically defensive Mudsdale (use body press). Your other options are various checks that can switch into 1 or 2 of its moves and win from there (assuming it’s CB, which is the best set rn). Silvally Fairy and Alcreamie can switch into anything not named Gunk Shot and KO back, and Alcreamie has recovery. Garbodor and Qwilfish can switch into anything except dark STAB and either set hazards, get some chip damage, or t wave it. If your team doesn’t have a dedicated switch in you can tweak some common Pokémon’s move sets to improve the match up. For example, run air slash on Sigi, people have been running some attack + superpower on Gigalith, could probably get away with dazzling gleam Xatu, etc. Offensive teams don’t need to counter it really because it’s slow and has exploitable weaknesses, but tweaking balance teams so that they don’t fold to a well played panda is a little harder (or use mudsdale with wish support).

MAMP

MAMP!
I noticed Stonjourner in the viability list, but I’ve never seen him on ladder and I’m curious about what he does. Stats and movepool seem kinda underwhelming, it’s not clear to me what niche it has over something like Gigalith.

Mavis

Banned deucer.
I noticed Stonjourner in the viability list, but I’ve never seen him on ladder and I’m curious about what he does. Stats and movepool seem kinda underwhelming, it’s not clear to me what niche it has over something like Gigalith.
we ranked stonjourner due to it's modest possible advantages over gigalith, notably due to it's differences in set, additional coverage options, and greater Speed.

Any suggestions for teammates for Flapple?

These are the set I was planning to use (very straightforward)
Flapple (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grav Apple
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- Dragon Dance

Flapple (M) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Grav Apple
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

(Maybe not the right thread, but I didn't see any other thread for teambuilding in the RU topic)

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Any suggestions for teammates for Flapple?

These are the set I was planning to use (very straightforward)
Flapple (M) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Grav Apple
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- Dragon Dance

Flapple (M) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Grav Apple
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

(Maybe not the right thread, but I didn't see any other thread for teambuilding in the RU topic)
Something that can take the Ice moves that just drop it. Something like Vaporeon or Snorlax (Thick Fat). These two can also come in Fire moves as well since they hit Flapple neutrally.

You can also add a Steel type for the Flying moves that hurt it. Something like Steelix (rocker), Escavalier, or Steelvally (pivot).

Hope this helps! :blobthumbsup:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Something that can take the Ice moves that just drop it. Something like Vaporeon or Snorlax (Thick Fat). These two can also come in Fire moves as well since they hit Flapple neutrally.

You can also add a Steel type for the Flying moves that hurt it. Something like Steelix (rocker), Escavalier, or Steelvally (pivot).

Hope this helps! :blobthumbsup:
Adding onto this, I would go with an adamant nature compared to jolly- with base 70 speed Flapple is outsped by all relevant scarfers regardless and the extra power can net some kills with Outrage you really shouldn’t get (like Vally-Steel after rocks)

Also screens/veil are great for this thing, you have pretty solid augmented bulk and a nice defensive typing to get off a dragon dance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)