TailGlow's phone-in show (SPECIAL BONUS ROUND: Beef or Bust?)

Serpi

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a defending SPL Champion
World Defender
using covering/covered twice in a row to describe this landscape is stilistically sloppy, that's the mistake. the oak tree could easily just "hold many acorns" or "grow heavy of its fruits" or smth like that

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
The car went down the lane, turned right into the field, and stopped. The field had a lot of different features: an oak tree covered in acorns, grass covering the surface like a layer of paint, a single house visible in the distance, two squirrels running, and many more details. You could spend all day staring into the distance and finding new things you had never noticed before, but the three occupants of the car had work to do. They carried a number of unusual items, all of which would be important. They headed to the far corner of the field, hoping no-one was watching them, for this was a secret plan and highly dangerous for anyone else to know about.

First to find the mistake wins a free movie night with popcorn and a voucher for their local pizza takeaway.
based on the unusual language around the way the car moved and its occupants, i think the focus here is the car, and the fact that it was left behind which is not gonna help with them being sneaky about their secret plan

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
based on the unusual language around the way the car moved and its occupants, i think the focus here is the car, and the fact that it was left behind which is not gonna help with them being sneaky about their secret plan
Arranging a "secret" meeting when there's a house right there?
using covering/covered twice in a row to describe this landscape is stilistically sloppy, that's the mistake. the oak tree could easily just "hold many acorns" or "grow heavy of its fruits" or smth like that
No, these are not the mistake.

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
Ladies and gentlemen, boys gals and non binary pals... what you're missing is simple, nay, obvious. If the meeting was secret...
1664487343943.png

*desk slam*
THEN WHY DID OUR WITNESS TAILGLOW TELL US ABOUT IT?
1664487419625.png

If I were to host a big secret meeting in a field, then the last *desk slam* thing I'd do is post about the big secret meeting to the internet. I'd also make absolutely sure *desk slam* that everyone involved would be just as secretive.
So the mistake? It's obvious! *desk slam* IT'S THIS VERY WITNESS! What our culprit didn't bank on was the fact that our witness *flicks paper* Tailglow would spill the beans on the entire operation, letting us all know that there was a meeting. *desk slam* So that's what our team of criminals did wrong *loud point, didn't even know you could point loudly* IT WAS LETTING TAILGLOW KNOW ABOUT THE MEETING!

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Ladies and gentlemen, boys gals and non binary pals... what you're missing is simple, nay, obvious. If the meeting was secret...
View attachment 455959
*desk slam*
THEN WHY DID OUR WITNESS TAILGLOW TELL US ABOUT IT?
View attachment 455961
If I were to host a big secret meeting in a field, then the last *desk slam* thing I'd do is post about the big secret meeting to the internet. I'd also make absolutely sure *desk slam* that everyone involved would be just as secretive.
So the mistake? It's obvious! *desk slam* IT'S THIS VERY WITNESS! What our culprit didn't bank on was the fact that our witness *flicks paper* Tailglow would spill the beans on the entire operation, letting us all know that there was a meeting. *desk slam* So that's what our team of criminals did wrong *loud point, didn't even know you could point loudly* IT WAS LETTING TAILGLOW KNOW ABOUT THE MEETING!
Congratulations, you are correct! You win the prize of a movie night, popcorn and pizza... if you can collect it from our offices. I'm not allowed to say where that is for security related reasons, but I'm sure you can work it out.

The next game is a Smogon-based puzzle.

You're in the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Battle Maison, playing Doubles (4 Pokemon, and you can't change the order they get sent out, the leads are always going out first). Your current team has these Pokemon as the leads:

:ss/greninja:
Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Mat Block
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

:ss/blaziken-mega:
Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Rock Slide
- Protect

The team relies on Mat Block Greninja giving Blaziken a free turn to set up Speed Boost, after which it outruns nearly every Pokemon faced.

Find a Pokemon that covers the biggest weaknesses of these two for the backup. (The last Pokemon is a glue Pokemon that depends on what your third is, and so we can ignore it for this challenge.) You can't change anything on the leads. You also need to provide a set, which does not have to be a perfect set or the exact one used but should be suitable for how you plan to use the Pokemon, and may help you win if no-one gets the Pokemon exactly right.

I'll give you some clues as to what you need: You're focusing on winning lots and lots of battles in a row, so inaccurate moves are undesirable (Rock Slide is an exception due to Blaziken's poor coverage options and being multi-target with double misses being much rarer than single ones, but you do want a backup for its targets). You want something that can switch into Electric-type moves as there are some faster Electric-types than Greninja, which tends to require an immunity due to paralysis risk. Trick Room must be considered (mostly Psychic- and Ghost-types found on those teams), and above all the biggest weakness this duo has is:

:ss/gyarados:
Gyarados @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Rest

The problem is a real one faced by a real player in the Battle Maison, and while you could cheat and look it up, I'll know if you have and you'll get disqualified. If someone gets the exact species used correct, they win, otherwise the most appropriate submission in a week's time wins.

Just remember, call us on 9964372864013965753923408 or post in this thread. One guess per post, one post per user.

:magnezone:
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def/252 SpA/4 SpD
Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-Hidden Power Dark
-Electroweb

Sturdy to survive EQ and OHKO back w/Tbolt. HP Dark to get back at Psychics and Ghosts on Trick Room. Can switch in to Electrics (but can't really win, though, so watch out). Electroweb as filler.

:xy/rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Foul Play
- Pain Split
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

Washtom provides a resistance to flying, water and immunity to ground, covering Greninja’s and Blaziken’s weakness. With the only weakness being grass (which blaziken covers), it also has the bulk to survive other attacks and also has an immunity to paralysis.
The above mentioned Gyarados set is completely walled and can be killed by Washtom.
0 SpA Rotom-Wash Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 156-184 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Gyarados Aqua Tail vs. 148 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash: 21-26 (14.5 - 18%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers

+6 0 Atk Rotom-Wash Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 209-246 (103.4 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 0 Atk Gyarados Aqua Tail vs. 148 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash: 84-100 (58.3 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

recovery

The EV spread keeps the hp divisible by 16 for leftovers, then max defense, and the rest is dumped into SpDef.
Thunderbolt is used over discharge because discharge can hurt your own Greninja. Foul Play is used to prevent setups while also threatening psychic or ghost trick room abusers. Pain Split is used for decent recovery and Thunder wave is just a filler move (twave also has 100% accuracy in gen 6). Toxic is also viable but has 90% accuracy.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Thank you for entering, here's my view of the Pokemon submitted:

:emolga: Nice typing, ability and support movepool- the stats are a bit of an issue. Also in most ways exacerbates the weakness to Ground-types, since you can do 0 back.

:magnezone: Good power, switch-in capability and offensive synergy, but 'Sturdy to survive Earthquake and KO back' is not a good plan as you're slower than +1 Gyarados, and there could be another faster Pokemon that targets your slot and KOes you before you actually get to hit Gyarados. Also not great against Fire/Flyings, since they outspeed and you need a backup plan in case Rock Slide misses, and shares a Ground-type weakness with Blaziken.

:rotom-wash: It's a bit passive for Double Battles, and being slower than +1 Gyarados is not ideal, since the leads are so weak to it. Also pretty optimistic as an Electric check, since it takes a lot and has difficulty KOing back:

252 SpA Electrode Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash: 66-78 (42 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash: 66-78 (42 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0- Atk Rotom-Wash Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 34-41 (24.2 - 29.2%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO
0- Atk Rotom-Wash Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Electrode: 26-31 (19.2 - 22.9%) -- possible 5HKO

I won't say directly what the real Pokemon used is, because I think you should go through the process used by the real player to think about the answer. You can see the answer here.

All of you had the right idea, though, and being closest in terms of checking the above threats I believe Bog Monster is the winner. Congratulations, we are sending you a large supply of footballs cut in half for laboratory testing.

The next game will be 'Guess the Number'. I have thought of a number between 1 and 1,000,000,000, and I invite you to guess what it is. Closest guess wins. Usual rules apply. I'll give you a clue: there is a significance on this website as to why I picked the number.

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I don't mean to blackball tailglow's phone in show but the TV execs just called and said this week's game has to be changed from number guessing...
Preferably to something with a little more room for creativity. Don't worry, the Nielsen ratings will go back up

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)