Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
- Earthquake / Sludge Bomb

Recently, Tangrowth has regained popularity over Assault Vest Tapu Bulu thanks to Regenerator. Because of its amazing mixed bulk, Tangrowth checks many threats, such as Zygarde, Ash-Greninja, and Tapu Koko, simultaneously, allowing it to easily fit on teams as a glue Pokemon. Additionally, it's a bulky Grass-type that Heatran can't take advantage of, thanks to Earthquake hitting it 4x effectively. Unlike Tapu Bulu, which is Tangrowth's main competition, Tangrowth is not weak to Steel, which gives Tangrowth a far better matchup against Celesteela, Ferrothorn, and Iron Tail Zygarde. Tangrowth also has Regenerator to more reliably stay healthy over the course of a match. Tangrowth still struggles to deal with Pokemon like Tornadus-T and Volcarona, so Toxapex is a great teammate that also forms a nice Regenerator core with Tangrowth. Tornadus-T is another great teammate for the same reason, and the offensive presence it brings to make up for Tangrowth's slight passivity.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-379840 - Here's a World Cup round one replay of FLCL vs z0mog, where FLCL's Tangrowth puts in massive work by KOing Heatran and beating Tapu Koko one-on-one in the endgame.

Last edited:
Just two suggestions.

Recently, Tangrowth has gained significant usage again after Assault Vest Tapu Bulu lost usage.
You don't really talk about why it happened you just stated something that happened after Assault Vest Tapu Bulu dropped. I'd suggest talking about why it dropped and that this is why Assault Vest Tangrowth has gained usage.

I feel you should adress Regenerator somewhere in the spotlight as this is a big part of Assault Vest Tangrowth's viability, and something significant it has over Tapu Bulu.

• "Recently, Tangrowth has gained significant usage again after Assault Vest Tapu Bulu lost usage." This is worded a bit oddly. Makes it seem like AV Bulu losing usage is what caused more AV Tang. It's mostly that teams are now replacing one for another, not really one caused a change in the other's viability. I hope you get what I mean.
  • Emphasize Regenerator is the main thing that allows it to carve a big niche over Assault Vest Tapu Bulu.
  • Mention Iron Tail Zygarde on weak-to-Steel bit.
QC 1/1

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This already has a bit of QC work on it but just a few things to add. since you have 3 grass moves maybe explain what differentiates them. Such as Giga Drain being a solid reliable stab, Leaf Storm being used if you need extra power vs things like Greninja and Diancie, and Grass Knot is only used in conjunction with HP Fire. Also might be worth considering a slash of Sludge Bomb next to Earthquake as it helps Tangrowth handle opposing fat grasses like bulu that will try to switch in and sd up on Tangrowth - can use Blunder's Tangrowth from Smog Tour Finals as an example.

Also by no means required, but with WCOP in full swing there are lots of high quality replays of Tangrowth in use roaming around, so could potentially snag one of those for the end if you can fit it. Other than that I agree with Jordy and lyd.

This honestly looks incredibly long, but I implemented the QC checks. Someone please tell me if this is beyond the limit, and I'll see if I can shorten some sentences.

EDIT: Adding world cup replays, please do not GP check this until I have done so. Shouldn't be too long.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
didnt look at this initially cause it had already been checked twice but seeing as its way over limit i decided to give it a look and see if theres anything qc-related that can be cut so yea:
-personally I prefer to keep it simple in fb spotlights and while these slashed are fine in the analyses I’d honestly cut most if not all of them here. the moves slashed are by no means suboptimal, they just dont provide that much useful information considering spotlights arent supposed to go into detail about what every move does which just makes having 8 moves in total more confusing for the fb audience. I’d just unslash everything but hp fire which is pretty self-explanatory.
-now onto minor stuff: specify in the first sentence that tang has actually regained popularity cause it used to be the go-to grass type for a long period of time. cut kartana from the steel types it has a far better mu vs cause it can just sd on the switch or knock if banded.

this should be good now and under the character limit, 3/3 nice job

I managed to find a good replay for Tangrowth putting in work and implemented everything Leo said (for reference, we both agreed that Sludge Bomb is a fine slash over Earthquake) so this is ready for GP. Thanks to everyone that helped with QC.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
add remove comments
Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
- Earthquake / Sludge Bomb

Recently, Tangrowth has gained significant usage because it used to be the go-to bulky Grass-type before Assault Vest Tapu Bulu has been falling off as the go-to bulky Grass-type. (The original sentence didn't make sense literally at all) Because of its amazing mixed bulk, Tangrowth checks many threats, such as Zygarde, Ash-Greninja, and Tapu Koko, simultaneously, allowing it to easily fit on teams as a glue Pokemon. Additionally, it's a bulky Grass-type that Heatran can't take advantage of, thanks to Earthquake hitting it 4x effectively. Unlike Tapu Bulu, which is Tangrowth's main competition, Tangrowth is not weak to Steel, which gives Tangrowth a far better matchup against Iron Tail Zygarde, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn, (AC) and Iron Tail Zygarde. Tangrowth also has Regenerator to more reliably stay healthy over the course of a match. Tangrowth still struggles to deal with Pokemon like Tornadus-T and Volcarona, so Toxapex is a great teammate that also forms a nice Regenerator core with Tangrowth. Tornadus-T is also another great teammate for the same reason, and also the offensive presence it brings to make up for Tangrowth's slight lack of offensive presence passivity.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-379840 - Here's a World Cup round one replay of FLCL vs z0mog, where FLCL's Tangrowth puts in massive work by KOing Heatran and 1v1ing beating Tapu Koko one-on-one in the endgame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)