Tapatalk forum plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the rise in popularity of smart phones, more and more people are likely to be accessing this website on mobile devices. Both the iOS and Android platforms have an app called Tapatalk. It's a universal message board viewer. It allows for many different forums to be accessible from one single app, and everything is formatted in the same way. It's really easy to use. I'm sure that there are some people who already use Tapatalk from time to time. I'm pretty sure the simple forum plugin is free, so it shouldn't be much of a hassle to install. I know I'd use it once I get settled into the forums.

http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=vbulletin

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Tapatalk uses much much less data and loads faster; i'd been considering suggesting this myself for a while

Tapatalk uses much much less data and loads faster; i'd been considering suggesting this myself for a while
I've been using Tapatalk for probably 8-9 months now. I much prefer it over any mobile-optimized forum. As Pwnemon says, Tapatalk uses MUCH less data than the actual web-based forum. If somebody happens to prefer the web-based forum, they can still use that. The Tapatalk plugin would simply allow the users who would like to use it in a different way to use it in a different way. In addition to this, there could be some server-side benefits to having the plugin. Since it sends less information over the internet, it would use less resources, server-side, than usual. I don't know if the forum ever has problems with lag or anything of the sort, but it could possibly relieve some of the stress on the server in times like that.

It's worth noting that Tapatalk has been suggested at least three times in the past (two times in the Suggestion Box). I'm not saying that this means it won't be done, just putting that information out there for anyone interested.

It's worth noting that Tapatalk has been suggested at least three times in the past (two times in the Suggestion Box). I'm not saying that this means it won't be done, just putting that information out there for anyone interested.
Even still, the popularity of smart phones is rising very quickly now. I recently got a new phone, and there was a single non-smartphone in the entire Verizon store. I think I've got two friends who have a non-smartphone and more than I can count that have got one. In addition to that, if the suggestion gains popularity in this thread, who knows what will happen.

Even still, the popularity of smart phones is rising very quickly now. I recently got a new phone, and there was a single non-smartphone in the entire Verizon store. I think I've got two friends who have a non-smartphone and more than I can count that have got one. In addition to that, if the suggestion gains popularity in this thread, who knows what will happen.
Actually, I think it indicates that there's some interest. I just can't comment on the merits of the idea itself. I do own a smartphone, but I almost never use it to browse the internet as free wifi is scarce here and owning a data plan is pointless for me. Browsing Smogon's forums on a mobile device is terrible as it is right now, though, but I don't know what Tapatalk is like. Also don't know if it'll get done or not.

Actually, I think it indicates that there's some interest. I just can't comment on the merits of the idea itself. I do own a smartphone, but I almost never use it to browse the internet as free wifi is scarce here and owning a data plan is pointless for me. Browsing Smogon's forums on a mobile device is terrible as it is right now, though, but I don't know what Tapatalk is like. Also don't know if it'll get done or not.
The UI is actually pretty intuitive. Note that I'd have done IMG tags if I were able to manipulate the display size. Since I can't, here are some links :p They're all on imageshack.
Main
First thing you'll see when you open a forum that you're signed in to.
Different sub-forums of the current forum
Subscribed threads
PMs
Other things
Settings
Settings Continued
Settings continued again

One of the nice things is that Tapatalk has a username and password, so if you ever need to uninstall it, or something happens such as you getting a new phone, you can just log in once (to the Tapatalk App) and it will restore all of your account information. This is also nice if you've got the app installed across multiple devices.

jrp

Banned deucer.
Please don't. As someone that uses the forums on mobile constantly, having that irritating popup come up every time you open the site up would just get annoying.

Please don't. As someone that uses the forums on mobile constantly, having that irritating popup come up every time you open the site up would just get annoying.
If you set your browser to fetch the page as a desktop rather than android, you won't have that happen. Mobile Firefox can set per-site preferences as well, I believe. Also, I would think that the administrator would be able to disable the notification.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
From my experience, the current forum layout scales perfectly on mobile devices, so there is no longer a need for the plug-in.

Yes because it is easier on mobile devices and ot only takes 15 minutes to make i mean its not hard to do and it saves data for alot of people

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I know if this site gets set up with Tapatalk then I'll forget how to use one of them 9.9

Really though, is there an actual reason to use that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)