is an Artist
Tapu Fini

#788 - The Land Spirit Pokemon

Resists -

Weaknesses -

Immunities -

Ability 1 - Misty Surge
- Turns the ground into Misty Terrain when the Pokémon enters a battle
Hidden Ability (unavailable) - Telepathy - Anticipates an ally's attack and dodges it
Stats - 70 HP / 75 Atk / 115 Def / 95 SpA / 130 SpD / 85 Spe (570 Total)
Level-Up Movepool
Lv0 - Haze
Lv0 - Mean Look
Lv0 - Mist
Lv0 - Misty Terrain
Lv0 - Water Gun
Lv0 - Withdraw
Lv0 - Heal Pulse
Lv8 - Water Pulse
Lv14 - Whirlpool
Lv20 - Soak
Lv26 - Refresh
Lv32 - Brine
Lv38 - Defog
Lv43 - Nature’s Madness
Lv48 - Muddy Water
Lv53 - Aqua Ring
Lv58 - Hydro Pump

TMs
TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM12 Taunt
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM55 Scald
TM56 Fling
TM67 Smart Strike
TM68 Giga Impact
TM77 Psych Up
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM96 Nature Power
TM98 Waterfall
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide

Tapu Fini does NOT learn Rest, same with the rest of the Tapus. No it is not a typo or an error, they simply just don't learn the move. I have checked both Serebii and in-game TM compatibility fyi.

New Moves
Nature's Madness -
The user hits the target with the force of nature. It halves the target's HP.
Smart Strike - The user stabs the target with a sharp horn. This attack never misses.

Analysis
Overall, Tapu Fini is the well-rounded, defensive Tapu compared to its siblings. Tapu Fini's typing and 70/115/130 defenses makes it incredibly bulky. Misty Surge allows Tapu Fini to switch into status moves as well as the infamous Scald without worrying about being statused. While Tapu Fini has excellent defenses, it also sports decent offensive presence with 95 SpA and 85 Spe. However, Tapu Fini does lack reliable recovery and Misty Terrain acts as a double-edged sword since it is unable to status any grounded mons. Sadly enough, Tapu Fini loses to its siblings even if they do not have their respective terrains up.

Potential Movesets

Utility
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast / Brine / Scald
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness / Haze
- Defog

This set takes advantage of Tapu Fini's wide variety of various support moves. Misty Terrain protects Tapu Fini from harmful status conditions which expands its longevity in conjunction with Leftovers. Since Tapu Fini has already amazing defenses, adding 252 EVs to HP amps up its bulk. Due to the lack of recovery, 252 Speed EVs allows Tapu Fini to outspeed everything up to base 85 Speed mons. Moonblast is Tapu Fini's main stab while Scald can be use to catch non-grounded mons such as the Lati twins, Skarmory, and the Tapu's. Brine can be use in conjunction with Nature's Madness for more damage than Scald. Taunt and Nature's Madness combined can break down a lot of walls such as Chansey and Skarmory. Haze is another option to remove pre-existing stat boosts from set-up mons like Clefable, Mega Scizor, or Dragonite. Lastly, Defog allows Tapu Fini to get rid of hazards.

Choice Specs
Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog / Grass Knot / Ice Beam

With a Choice Specs and glorious dual stab, it enables Tapu Fini to dish out a decent amount of damage to its foes. Moonblast and Hydro Pump are essential high-powered, dual stab that not many mons can switch into. For coverage options, Hidden Power Fire helps deal with the multitude of Steel Types in the tier such as Aegislash, Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. The last slot is up to the players. Defog can be used if you require hazard removal, Grass Knot hits opposing Water types harder, and Ice Beam can be used to deal with Grass types (besides Mega Venusaur) and Zapdos.

Offensive Calm Mind
Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z / Fairium Z / Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Surf / Scald
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Ice Beam

Tapu Fini can act as a potential wincon due to access to Calm Mind. Z Crystals help amp up Tapu Fini's power if necessary while Life Orb can be used for more sustained damage. Moonblast and Calm Mind are necessary for this set obviously since having dual stab increases its power. Surf can be used instead of Scald since it will be unable to burn with Misty Terrain up however, Scald can be used to catch non-grounded mons and other Tapus off guard. The last moveslot depends on what coverage you need, Hidden Power Fire can be used on opposing Steel-types while Ice Beam can be used for Grass-types and Zapdos.

Utility Calm Mind
Tapu Fini @ Normalium Z / Icium Z / Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Moonblast / Surf
- Calm Mind
- Refresh / Mist
- Taunt / Misty Terrain

This last set combines the best of both worlds with Tapu Fini's supportive capabilities and Calm Mind. Moonblast or Surf is essential since it gives Tapu Fini reliable stab, depending on what you need. Calm Mind lets Tapu Fini set up on mons like Greninja, Starmie, and the Lati twins. With Normalium Z, Refresh acts as a "RestoChesto" since it cures status and fully restores HP while Icium Z Mist protects Tapu Fini from stat drops while also fully restoring HP. Lastly, Taunt can allow Tapu Fini to stop opposing wincons from setting up such as Clefable and Suicune while Misty Terrain can catch an opposing Tapu off guard when it switches in.

Closing Thoughts
I believe that Tapu Fini will be an incredible mon in the OU tier. The combination of its offensive and defensive options, well-rounded stats and typing make Tapu Fini unpredictable due to the plethora of sets it could potentially run. Also, Tapu Fini's ability to check influential mons in the tier such as Greninja, Landorus-T and Clefable should not be slept upon. Though Tapu Fini has a few notable flaws such as Misty Terrain being a double-edged sword and the lack of recovery but, I believe the amount of options Tapu Fini brings to the table outweighs its negative aspects.

Last edited:
Solid stats and a decent typing, with strange coverage- a water type that gets TBolt and Energy Ball but not Ice Beam? Nonetheless, IMO it could really do with some form of recovery. It's too bad it can't use a ResttalkCM set (not until its HA is released, at least). It's typing also means that you're not gonna want to switch into Spore from Amoongus or TWave from Thundurus etc.

Also, it's funny that a water Pokemon learns Sunny Day, but not Rain Dance. And that it learns Refresh, while being the only Pokemon with Misty Surge.

I could be wrong about this, but doesn't entry hazards kicking in before Misty Surge make Refresh relevant against Toxic Spikes?

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Solid stats and a decent typing, with strange coverage- a water type that gets TBolt and Energy Ball but not Ice Beam? Nonetheless, IMO it could really do with some form of recovery. It's too bad it can't use a ResttalkCM set (not until its HA is released, at least). It's typing also means that you're not gonna want to switch into Spore from Amoongus or TWave from Thundurus etc.

Also, it's funny that a water Pokemon learns Sunny Day, but not Rain Dance. And that it learns Refresh, while being the only Pokemon with Misty Surge.
awk that was Tapu Lele's TM List lol...

edit: added the real TM list

Last edited:
How about CM + 3 Attacks? With or without Life Orb. It could play like the offensive CM Suicune set. The listed CM set seems a bit too support oriented for my taste. I would rather focus on doing damage than winning terrain wars. After revealing CM you can surprise oncoming Bulu with Ice Beam, or Ferrothorn with HP Fire, or Venusaur and Toxapex with Hp Psychic if you're a madman.

The Strength of this Pokemon are its typing, the setup of Terrain and Taunt/Defog + Status Immunity. I love this thing!

It is also one of the best checks to Greninja(if it stays unbanned)

Unfortunately it is disposed of by the other terrain setter, similar to Sun Setter losing to Sand/Rain

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Its ability really, really sucks for it, especially since its offensive stats are so mediocre. However, if Telepathy is accesible, then it can run this set:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- Taunt

It's actually a pretty good defogger, since it beats all relevant hazard setters besides Ferrothorn and Toxapex by virtue of its typing (he latter being completely shut down by Taunt). This particular set plays similarly to Empoleon, as a hazard remover that also doubles up as a status spreader. But Fini has the extra advantage of being able to run Taunt to prevent rocks from going back up again. You could run Protect on there for exatra recovery, but Toxic and Taunt are both too useful too pass up on

Reactions: ehT

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Its ability really, really sucks for it, especially since its offensive stats are so mediocre. However, if Telepathy is accesible, then it can run this set:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- Taunt

It's actually a pretty good defogger, since it beats all relevant hazard setters besides Ferrothorn and Toxapex by virtue of its typing (he latter being completely shut down by Taunt). This particular set plays similarly to Empoleon, as a hazard remover that also doubles up as a status spreader. But Fini has the extra advantage of being able to run Taunt to prevent rocks from going back up again. You could run Protect on there for exatra recovery, but Toxic and Taunt are both too useful too pass up on
I was thinking of that set but we would have to wait for the release of Tapu Fini with the hidden ability.

This mon pairs really well with setup sweepers that hate status thanks to Misty Surge. Mimikyu and Volc come to mind. It's a shame that it hurts Dragon viability, because Haxorus and Zygarde would love to be immune for status for a couple turns.

How about CM + 3 Attacks? With or without Life Orb. It could play like the offensive CM Suicune set. The listed CM set seems a bit too support oriented for my taste. I would rather focus on doing damage than winning terrain wars. After revealing CM you can surprise oncoming Bulu with Ice Beam, or Ferrothorn with HP Fire, or Venusaur and Toxapex with Hp Psychic if you're a madman.
CM+Hydro Pump+Moonblast with Z-Refresh (which fully heals you) is pretty cool

imo it's really good, it's bulky as hell, which makes for a good defogger; it's ability also helps it against toxic stallers

Fini has good bulk, though not tier Cresselia / Lugia good. If Fini had a garbage defensive typing, people would say Fini wasn't very bulky. 70/115/130 is respectable, though not good enough to take absurdly strong hits. Fini is a mixed bag for me, Water/Fairy is solid defensively. Lack of reliable recovery really hurts it. Also auto setting Misty Terrain is pretty awful for a Pokemon who lacks offensive presence without boosting.

I'm sure Fini will find a place in the Meta. Though from a Terrain setting perspective, Fini is meh compared to the benefits the other Tapus receive for themselves when setting up terrain. I'm guessing that the lack of boosting it's STAB makes Fini a little lacking.

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
i'm quite liking max hp / max spa modest with cm / moonblast / surf / protect holding leftovers. more powerful than you'd initially think with the misty terrain and plays similar to vincune in that you can gain extra recovery with protect. the potential to use scald is there because often, with protect, it will extend past the 5 turns of its terrain, but the extra initial power on surf has been nice.

Misty Terrain is very effective for blocking status users. It really cripples pokemon that rely on Toxic, Wil-o-Wisp, and Thunder Wave to function. However, it works both ways, so pokemon that rely on status are often a poor teammate choice for Tapu Fini. Set-wise, I think offensive sets have merit, but Tapu Fini's role during early/mid-game is going to be blocking status, so it may be better to build for bulk so that it can switch into things.
On a side note Showdown will not show the Misty Terrain background of it is raining, so people may forget it exists and try to use status moves.

Why is Refresh slashed first on the Utility Calm Mind set? Unless the opponent has a counter-terrain setter of his own, there is no need to cure status conditions that cannot be afflicted on you.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Why is Refresh slashed first on the Utility Calm Mind set? Unless the opponent has a counter-terrain setter of his own, there is no need to cure status conditions that cannot be afflicted on you.
Refresh was chosen to synergize with Normalium Z if the terrain does eventually run, but I can see your point though. I think I personally prefer just Leftovers but, Icium Z Mist seems a lil bit better than Normalium Z Refresh in some cases.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic
- Taunt

I think it should be noted that Toxic and Scald is not a good option on Tapu Fini because of Misty Terrain whose ability blocks non-volatile status conditions (i.e. Burn and Paralysis) for grounded Pokemon. If you want to stallbreak with Tapu Fini, you're much better off with Nature's Madness (more or less a Super Fang) and Moonblast.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
I think it should be noted that Toxic and Scald is not a good option on Tapu Fini because of Misty Terrain whose ability blocks non-volatile status conditions (i.e. Burn and Paralysis) for grounded Pokemon. If you want to stallbreak with Tapu Fini, you're much better off with Nature's Madness (more or less a Super Fang) and Moonblast.
the person is using its unreleased ability Telepathy instead :P but yeah Toxic on Misty Terrain is a nono but, Scald has its uses on catching non-grounded mons or the other Tapus off guard.

As I mentioned in the Orange Island thread on Tapu Fini before it was closed, I really think this thing is designed in part as a trapper that can provide safe switches to a grounded sweeper while also protecting them from status - perfect for offence. It learns both Mean Look and Whirlpool, so it seems hard to not imagine that was one of the uses GameFreak had in mind for it. Something like:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers / Eject Button
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Whirlpool / Mean Look
- Taunt
- Defog
- Moonblast / Surf / Nature's Madness / Haze / coverage

Whirlpool is used for the all important trapping, providing chip damage and giving you prime conditions for an advantageous switch into a grounded set up sweeper - though Mean Look can be used for perfect accuracy and if you want to avoid fainting opponents. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up against you, while Defog provides the classic hazard clearing utility we all know and love later in the battle. The last slot is dedicated to a STAB attack, coverage, Nature's Madness (to provide hefty consistent damage) or Haze (to reset the opponents stats - particularly important in the face of defensive boosts so you can sweep). Leftovers is the preferred item to ensure some longevity, however Eject Button can be used as a more gimmicky option, giving you an instant one off switch into a grounded sweeper that can threaten out the opposition and set up. EVs are for bulk and speed, though I'm sure a bulkier spread could be ironed out once the relevant speed tiers have been pieced together.

I really think this set could have legs on a HO or BO team, it trivialises both finding an opportunity to set up and protecting yourself from status - meaning you only really have to worry about PHazers or Hazers. The downside is that is takes a team slot and doesn't have a lot to offer offensively itself, but the sheer utility makes up for it IMO. Again as I mentioned on the Orange Island thread, I think it's only fitting this set be called the AJ set - or to give it its full title the Awesome Jojobobo set ;)

With regards to the Refresh set above, does it provide a full heal? Serebii lists it as 25%, in which case it's probably not worth the Z-item.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in the Orange Island thread on Tapu Fini before it was closed, I really think this thing is designed in part as a trapper that can provide safe switches to a grounded sweeper while also protecting them from status - perfect for offence. It learns both Mean Look and Whirlpool, so it seems hard to not imagine that was one of the uses GameFreak had in mind for it. Something like:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers / Eject Button
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Whirlpool / Mean Look
- Taunt
- Defog
- Moonblast / Surf / Nature's Madness / Haze / coverage

Whirlpool is used for the all important trapping, providing chip damage and giving you prime conditions for an advantageous switch into a grounded set up sweeper - though Mean Look can be used for perfect accuracy and if you want to avoid fainting opponents. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up against you, while Defog provides the classic hazard clearing utility we all know and love later in the battle. The last slot is dedicated to a STAB attack, coverage, Nature's Madness (to provide hefty consistent damage) or Haze (to reset the opponents stats - particularly important in the face of defensive boosts so you can sweep). Leftovers is the preferred item to ensure some longevity, however Eject Button can be used as a more gimmicky option, giving you an instant one off switch into a grounded sweeper that can threaten out the opposition and set up. EVs are for bulk and speed, though I'm sure a bulkier spread could be ironed out once the relevant speed tiers have been pieced together.

I really think this set could have legs on a HO or BO team, it trivialises both finding an opportunity to set up and protecting yourself from status - meaning you only really have to worry about PHazers or Hazers. The downside is that is takes a team slot and doesn't have a lot to offer offensively itself, but the sheer utility makes up for it IMO. Again as I mentioned on the Orange Island thread, I think it's only fitting this set be called the AJ set - or to give it its full title the Awesome Jojobobo set ;)

With regards to the Refresh set above, does it provide a full heal? Serebii lists it as 25%, in which case it's probably not worth the Z-item.
Whirlpool compensates Misty Terrain's status block somewhat, that's great, actually.

Tapu Finni @ Leftovers or Waterium Z
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Aqua Ring/Torment
- Calm Mind
- Scald

Haha this can be incredibility difficult to break though late game. Just set up a Sub and start boosting and you can stall out a shiton of pokemon if Scald burns often. A Z-Aqua ring Boosts its defense even further and with great defensive typing it can be a real threat.

I am surprised I dont see more of this Pokemon it is incredibly viable.

I love Fini, it's actually on my team that I'm using currently, but it is disadvantaged against all of the other tapus. Bulu and Koko both check her pretty well and Lulu doesnt care and keeps sweeping. I still think it's incredibly viable. This is the set I'm running.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Surf

I run surf over scald because Fini doesn't burn anyone, so you might as well take the extra 10 bp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)