SM OU Taste the Rainbow (+1900 SR)

Introduction:

After years of experience and thousands of matches of competitive pokemon, I have created a team that not only carried me to high 1900 SR, but is fun to play and difficult to play against. "Taste the Rainbow", as I've named it, is NOT sponsored by Skittles, and while the team compositions range of colors resemble that of a rainbow, this was purely coincidental and did not hold any weight in the design process; Each member of the team was chosen to perform a specific function that makes win conditions easy to establish, while still maintaining the flexibility to adapt and change strategies throughout the match. I'll begin by breaking down each pokemon individually, then will analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the team as a whole.

The Team:

Ninetales-Alola @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry
- Heal Bell

Pretty simple, Ninetales serves primarily to support its teammates by setting up Aurora Veil, curing status, chipping away at opponents and breaking sturdy/sash with her hailstones. Freeze-dry catches the abundance of bulky waters off guard (Swampert, Pelipper, Gyarados, Toxipex etc.), while Moonblast hits other pokemon harder. Most people will assume Ninetales will lead, which makes it easier to gain a turn 1 advantage as people will avoid sending out pokemon like Landorus-T, allowing Tapu-Koko to set up Dual Screens easier.

Greninja-Ash @ Waterium Z
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Water Shuriken

With great speed and damage output, Greninja establishes itself as a special wallbreaker and revenge-killer for the team. Waterium-Z allows you to hit something very hard off the bat, making it easier to proc Battle Bond and increase its overall performance. Ice Beam and Dark Pulse provide decent coverage, while Water Shuriken gives the team priority to pick off weakened foes that check Scizor.

Sceptile @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

Sceptile brings the memes to the table with its unburden ability, but make no mistake; With over 600 speed, dual screens + a defense boost from its Electric Seed, Sceptile becomes a formidable setup sweeper that is tough to stop after a couple of boosts, similar to Hawlucha. The big difference between the two is that Hawlucha's role is linear, meaning opponents will try to keep its counters healthy so that it struggles to find opportunities set up. Sceptile, on the other hand, often slips through the radar as people will assume it's a sp.att based revenge killer in the form of its Mega. Here are some calcs for perspective:

+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Bulu: 348-410 (101.4 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Sceptile Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 328-388 (110.4 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Ice Punch vs. +1 144 HP / 4 Def Sceptile through Reflect: 95-112 (29.9 - 35.3%) -- 22% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. +1 144 HP / 4 Def Sceptile through Reflect: 241-285 (76 - 89.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- Volt Switch

Similar to Ninetales, Tapu Koko aids the team with its dual screen support and access to Taunt. In almost every situation, Koko should be your lead, as the existence of Ninetales should keep the Landorus-T's at bay so Koko can set up without fear of a scarfed EQ. Taunt stops other Stealth Rock setters and is useful in many situations, while Volt Switch is taken over U-turn for the damage output. It should also be noted that Koko can be sacked after setting up screens to safely bring out Sceptile in Electric Terrain (activating its Electric Seed).

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

Scizor is a versatile Pokemon and fits into the team as a revenge killer, bulky pivot, physical wallbreaker, and sweeper. With key resistances and the additional bulk provided by screens allows Scizor to shrug off hard-hitting STAB attacks and hit back harder. Bullet Punch is your weapon of choice and deals heavy damage to those that don't resist it. Quick Attack, while not as powerful as BP is still boosted by Technician and has the potential to OHKO certain threats after a couple of boosts.

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 199-234 (79.2 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 20 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 320-378 (111.8 - 132.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 227-269 (76.4 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 248 HP / 140 Def Zapdos: 183-216 (47.7 - 56.3%) -- 31.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Stored Power
- Reflect Type

Mega Latias is often going to be your primary win condition. Mega Latias is already incredibly bulky, which, combined with dual screens, its access to Calm Mind, Recover, and Stored Power, makes it a powerful sweeper. However, this particular set is completely walled by dark types, so it's important to eliminate them before revealing Latias's set. Reflect Type is extremely fun and has won me many games (particularly against rain and stall teams) when used at the right time. You'll want to save this for certain steel types like Magearna, Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Scizor to circumvent Fleur Cannon, Leech Seed, Toxic and U-turn respectively (Levitate also becomes a great ability when you're a fire/steel type).

Team Strengths:

Dual Screen + Aurora Veil Support.
3 Priority attacks (Bullet Punch, Quick Attack, Water Shuriken)
3 Possible Megas makes for early mind games.
Multiple setup sweepers mean fewer turns spent switching, thus less damage taken from entry hazards.
Ninetales provides residual damage over time and can sure status problems if needed.
Having the team built around screens and powerful sweepers force your opponent to Defog his own hazards away, giving your sweepers free turns to set up.
The team is unorthodox, making your pokemon unpredictable to others and allowing you to gain the upper hand early game.
Multiple sweepers give you the flexibility to adapt your win condition mid-battle.
Can circumvent Unaware users with high BP Stored Power from Latias, as well as Hydro Vortex from Greninja.
Is fun to play! :D

Team Weaknesses:

No hazard setters or removal (relies on the opponent to Defog).
Latias gets walled by Dark types.
Team can be prone to toxic stall if not managed carefully.
Sceptile struggles when Electric Seed isn't activated.

So that's it! This is my first time posting a team on Smogon, but I'm hoping to make more in the future :)
Please let me know what you guys think of my team, or if there's a way I can improve on it I'd enjoy hearing your impressions/opinions.

Team Pokepaste link can be found below:
https://pokepast.es/98bb1ea820a153f0

Thanks!​

Last edited:
Why icy rock on ninetailes and not light clay?
The veil is only effective during hail, so it will only last 5 turns regardless of item. I take Icy Rock over light clay for the fact that they are often removed with Defog before T5 so there's more value in prolonging the weather instead. (for me personally)

The veil is only effective during hail, so it will only last 5 turns regardless of item. I take Icy Rock over light clay for the fact that they are often removed with Defog before T5 so there's more value in prolonging the weather instead. (for me personally)
Aurora veil persists even after hail is over, you just can't set it up again when the hail isn't up. Light clay would probably be the better item, even if it might get defogged away.

You could also use hail instead of heal bell if you worry about a pelipper/tyranitar switch when you want to set up the aurora veil.
I also feel you should add a ground type to your team, I personally don't like having no ground. But it's up to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)