TEAM HOENN

Hello Smogon, once again, here is a VGC 2012 RMT, from yours truly.

Now, I know around here that theme teams are usually frowned upon, but you can't resist the illustrious charm of a team dedicated to the best Pokemon generation ever: Hoenn! Yes, as many players seem to neglect, Hoenn has some of the greatest Pokemon the world has ever seen. It has the most usable starters, the best legendaries, and the coolest Pokemon designs. This GBU/VGC team is meant to emphasize on this fact, only going for the coolest of the cool Pokemon from the best generation that can counter the many Goodstuff mons out there, which is undoubtedly the most popular playstyle in this metagame, while still trying to regain some originality at the same time.

Sceptile @ Choice Specs
Nature: Timid
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Leaf Storm
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power Rock

Sceptile doesn't get enough love in the VGC format: with massive speed and very usable Special Attack, it's one deadly gecko. Because of Sceptile's naturally-high speed, I decided to go with a Choice Specs set, showing off its true power. Leaf Storm demolishes Gastrodon and Politoed, while Dragon Pulse can deal with Kingdra and Garchomp easily. Focus Blast can destroy Tyranitar and other not-as-common threats such as Scrafty, and Hidden Power Rock will make Zapdos and Thundurus run in fear. Even after the Special Attack drop with Leaf Storm, it still can tear holes in teams with its absolutely unadulterated power.

Blaziken @ Shuca Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Flare Blitz
-Sky Uppercut
-Blaze Kick
-Protect

I still question as to why Blaziken isn't more used: big attack, massive speed, and a large movepool, what more could you ask for? Protecting allows Blaziken to get up one Speed Boost, already outspeeding several threats, and hitting back hard with STAB Flare Blitz and Sky Uppercut. Brave Bird takes care of Hitmontop and other Fighting-types that may even try to lay down a finger on this prime gamecock. I was considering running Blaze Kick over Flare Blitz, but I realized that the extra power is absolutely worth the recoil damage. Blaziken holds a Shuca berry just in case ol' Swampert decides to hit him with an unavoidable Earthquake, or to defend from Heatran's Earth Power or Garchomp's Earthquake, putting a big dent in the opponent's plan.

Swampert @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Wide Guard

Rounding out the Gen 3 starters is the one and only Swampert, the hobo of a Water/Ground type with many usable perks. The reason Swampert has less speed EVs is because even with them, it can't really outspeed much, so I decided that it could serve as a possible Trick Room counter. Its moveset really needs no explanation, it's a standard QuakeSlide combo with some extra STAB Waterfall thrown in. Wide Guard also acts as a fine supporting move, stopping Cresselia's Icy Wind or other Earthquakes, Rock Slides, and Heat Waves. Life Orb helps boost Swampert's Attack power, but I've considered replacing it with Expert Belt because I want Swampert to remain some of its bulk.

Sableye @ Lagging Tail
Nature: Careful
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
-Fake Out
-Sucker Punch
-Will-o-Wisp
-Trick

In the planning stages, I've considered Cresselia as my support Pokemon, but 1). I'd have three Psychic types on my team then, and 2). If it ain't Hoenn, it ain't any good. So with that, I thought of the other go-to support 'mon: Sableye. Sableye punishes any fool that would even think to attack my other mons, burning them with priority Will-o-Wisp to end a physical attacker's fun, providing good lead support with Fake Out, and striking before they can even attack with Sucker Punch. Priority Recover and Leftovers allows Sableye to stay in longer and foresee the opponent's burn damage pile up higher and higher.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-Iron Head
-Zen Headbutt
-Ice Punch
-Rock Slide

It's the heavy metal itself, the silver glistening tank, and the devastating powerhouse: Metagross. Boasting a Choice Band, Metagross is often used to punish both goodstuff and Trick Room teams alike: with powerful STABs Iron Head and Zen Headbutt to dish out the damage when needed, and Ice Punch and Rock Slide to devastate the Pokemon that once think itself to be safe from Metagross. I originally planned on having it with a Choice Scarf, but I would've needed to change the EVs and nature to have it run effectively, and Metagross is about power, so why even bother when I probably couldn't even outrun a Latios if so?

Latios @ Dragon Gem
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Dragon Pulse
-Psyshock
-Hidden Power Ground
-Protect

The final link to my team rounds everyone out nicely, as Latios' sheer Speed and Special Attack allow it to serve as an effective late-game sweeper. Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor might seem questionable to some, but as I don't really wanna see Latios become a 1-hit wonder and I've seen Draco Meteor miss way too many time, I decided Dragon Pulse was a safer alternative, and it can still OHKO several common Dragons such as Latios and Garchomp with a Dragon Gem. Psyshock is another fine STAB move, and Hidden Power Ground deals with Heatran and Tyranitar, who would normally wall Latios.

--
Any suggestion to Team Hoenn would be appreciated, but remember it must keep the name with both its usefulness and its mon selection.

I don't like Sableye on this team. It just does'nt have enough regular bulk. Even with no weaknesses, I would go for Registeel. It just does'nt have enough bulk, I know you'd have three fire weakness' but it is nessicary.

Then you should replace Sceptile with Ludicolo. Give it Swift Swim just so you have an edge against common rain.

I think Latios should run Thunderbolt over Hidden Power. Just because other than Leaf Storm you have no other super-effective moves among the common water type. And Sceptile will be 1HKO'd, or 2HKO'd by an Ice move. So thats it, I can't really see this team appearing in an official VGC event, but if you know how to play it right I guess it could work.

Since you've limited yourself to a few theme restrictions, I can't really give you a full rate as many ideal team mates are outside the scope of the Hoenn dex. I can, however, still point out a few key threats and try to optimize your movesets.

You have a bit of a rain problem. You have two members of your team that are resistant to water, but both will easily fall to an Ice Beam or two. To aid your Rain match up, consider running Tailwind over HP Ground on your Latios. With Tailwind, you'll be able to outspeed and effectively neuter a few Pokemon that rely on Swift Swim to be effective. For Sceptile, I would suggest dropping the Choice Specs, adding a Focus Sash, replacing Dragon Pulse with HP Ice and HP Rock for Protect. Without Choice Specs, you sacrifice a lot of power, but Sceptie is extremely vulnerable to priority and, well, any attack in general, so the Focus Sash will at least allow you to take at least one strong hit outside of Sand or Hail.

Trick Room also seems like it could be a problem when you have three blazingly fast Pokemon and no way to invert Trick Room. My only real solution would be to trade Sableye's Leftovers for a Lagging Tail and Sucker Punch or Recover for Trick. Since Lagging Tail always makes the user move last in their priority bracket, Sableye can still Trick away the Lagging Tail before most anything else can move and have any Trick Room abusers still moving last with their precious Trick Room set up!

On Swampert, I think you should try a Rindo Berry over a Life Orb, as if any grass-type attacks so much as touch him, his great bulk instantly goes down the drain. I haven't used Swampert much at all though, so just play with that suggestion and playtest. If you do in fact implement that suggestion, your Life Orb is freed from the item clause and you can give it to Blaziken to give him a bit of a boost in power. A Shuca Berry seems unneeded on Blaziken, as you're 2HKOed by most neutral attack anyway and the glaring weaknesses to Psychic and Water are still there. You don't seem to have anything listed as your last attack, but Protect is a good choice.

Finally, for your Metagross, I would drop the Choice Band. Yes, Metagross hits for fantastic damage with a Choice Band, but Steel and Psychic are terrible types to be locked into. If you're after similar power with the ability to switch moves, try out a Steel Gem. Additionally, try revising your move set on Metagross. A three attacks + Protect set works wonderfully on Metagross, just pick any of the three of Earthquake, Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch, or Zen Headbutt. Since you have Latios at your side, I think Zen Headbutt would be wasted and you could really use a strong hit against Steel-types, primarily enemy Metagross. Meteor Mash / Earthquake / Bullet Punch sounds like a good way to go.

Hoped my advice helped!

I don't like Sableye on this team. It just does'nt have enough regular bulk.
I think you are underestimating sableye, despite having less hp than several mons, it still survive lots of hits. Plus, prankster will o wisp will shut down physical attackers. And plus with all that sp. def evs and boost, it can easily survive things that isn't gem DM (tell me if I'm wrong about that).

As themantyke mentioned, you do seem to be a bit rain weak. So I would suggest using Ludi somewhere in there or replace hp ground with tailwind on latios.

For those questioning my restrictions, it's because I feel it helps you to make a unique team based in your limitations, and to design strengths based around them to make it work. And cause gen 3 mons rock yo.

Besides that, I do think I will replace Sceptile with Ludicolo, and I'll take in those other considerations when I can get to editing this again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)