251 - Celebi
385 - Jirachi
386 - Deoxys
489 - Phione
490 - Manaphy
491 - Darkrai
492 - Shaymin
493 - Arceus

During battle, a player's team of four Pokémon may not have more than one Pokémon from the list below.

150 - Mewtwo
249 - Lugia
250 - Ho-Oh
382 - Kyogre
383 - Groudon
384 - Rayquaza
483 - Dialga
484 - Palkia
487 - Giratina

- Latios and Latias are allowed to take part but not allowed to hold soul dew
- Each team can only have 1 of the same item

http://www.maxsoftonline.com/pokemon/elite4challenge.html

The Team:

Mewtwo @ Light Clay

Timid nature / 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 SpD

- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

This Mewtwo is used as mainly support but can also sweep. I don't plan on using Self-Destruct as this will damage my Heatran a lot. I also don't think that many people going there are going to play competitively so I guess I'll not use Taunt at all. After setting up dual screens it can help my Heatran (2nd lead) get rid of most flying types/dragons and Kyogre/Groudon. I didn't put Aura Sphere as Heatran can get rid of opposing Heatran or Steel/Rock types with Earth Power and the rest of the steel types with Fire Blast/Heat Wave.

Heatran @ Life Orb

Serious (I don't have any other natures and I cannot get it in time) / 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP

- Heat Wave/Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse (Sorry my Heatran is HP Fighting at only 37 Power)
- Explosion

I can't decide on Heat Wave or Fire Blast because of the power difference. Also, I expect there to be plenty of rain dance teams so that means water types. If Heatran is faced with a Bronzong and a Swampert, I'd prefer it to finish the Bronzong with Fire Blast than seriously damage the Bronzing with Heat Wave and hit the Swampert a little bit. Dragon Pulse is meant as a filler, I decided it over Stealth Rock, Dark Pulse, HP Fighting (37) and Ancient Power. For Explosion, I guess once I'm left with 2 Pokemon to KO I can explode and get rid of a dead weight (since I didn't invest any EVs to special attack for Mewtwo.)

Scizor @ Choice Band

Adamant, Technician / 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP

- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit/Night Slash

I doubt I'd have much time to set up with Scizor and the Double Battle Primer article on Smogon mentioned that entry hazards are rare in doubles, so I decided to use this set over the Swords Dance set. I can't give my Scizor Leftovers or Life Orb so I decided a different item would be better. U-Turn and Bullet Punch are Scizor's STAB moves. Superpower may lower Scizor's attack and defence but I'm most likely to switch out later anyway. This Scizor is meant as a late-game sweeper so it could be KO-ing the last pokemon so it doesn't really matter. Night Slash may be better than Pursuit because of 10 base power difference, though I think it won't make much of a difference. The opponent may be left with 2 pokemon only and cannot even switch out.

Latios @ Leftovers

Serious (Seriously, it's my only one) / 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP

- Calm Mind
- Grass Knot/Recover
- Thunder/Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse

This set can set up Calm Mind under dual screens so it benefits from having Mewtwo here. However, I cannot decide whether to have more type coverage or a reliable healing move. Even though this guy will come out later, it is supposed to help Heatran by switching into ground attacks. Thunder hits most water pokemon that counter Heatran, while Grass Knot defeats Groudon and Swampert, as well as heavy Rock/Ground types. Dragon Pulse to kill slow dragons like Palkia and Rayquaza and is also Latios' STAB so it wrecks all those neutral to dragon too, and since only steels resists them, Heatran can switch back in to eliminate unless I predict a fighting/ground move.

I actually wanted a rain dance team with Kyogre actually, but I thought it would be too risky as a pure sweeper team goes down easily when the weather changes. I also thought of Lugia. Though its defences are high, it cannot do much and would be a dead weight after setting up only Reflect as it doesn't have much slots for Light Screen.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We're pretty familiar with the rules you outlined. The only difference is that you only get one uber while in the VGCs you're allowed to use two.

All I can say is that I recommend looking at some of the teams used by tournament winners in that forum. I don't think the team you posted is really built with Doubles in mind, or the threats most likely to appear. (For example, the Choice Scarf Kyogre you wanted to avoid using is only stopped by Latios, and that's only a speed bump, really. It can switch out and in and start using Blizzard.) The lack of Protect on anything is also an indication that you're not familiar with this battle format.

I've compiled a list of winning teams from these tournament stops; they should give you some better ideas to work with even if they do have 2 ubers.

I recommend this easy-to-use standard:
Kyogre - Water Spout, Surf, Thunder, Blizzard @Choice Scarf
Hitmontop - Fake Out, Mach Punch, Sucker Punch, Detect @Life Orb (Technician)
Abomasnow - Blizzard, Grass Knot\Wood Hammer, Ice Shard, Protect @Sitrus Berry
(4th Pokemon your choice, probably Latios)

No, a well-prepared weather-based sweeper team does not go down easily even when the weather changes; for instance if you face a slower Groudon the first turn when the sun comes up you can switch in Abomasnow and spam Blizzard with both Kyogre and Abomasnow.

May I know the EVs for the Abomasnow? More bulky or invest in Special attack? Then should I replace Latios with Kingdra since it benefits from the rain and has better typing?

Compare this with the above Latios

Kingdra @ Haban Berry (or leftovers?)

Naughty / 252 Atk, 240 SpA, 16 Spe

- Protect
- Draco Meteor
- Waterfall
- Outrage/Surf

May I know the EVs for the Abomasnow? More bulky or invest in Special attack? Then should I replace Latios with Kingdra since it benefits from the rain and has better typing?

Compare this with the above Latios

Kingdra @ Haban Berry (or leftovers?)

Naughty / 252 Atk, 240 SpA, 16 Spe

- Protect
- Draco Meteor
- Waterfall
- Outrage/Surf
I agree with what Omegadonut a Scarfed Kyogre will wreck your team. For Abomasnow try:
Snow Warning, Quiet
IVs: 31,31,31,31,31,0
EVs: 252 HP /252 SpAtk /6 Atk
~ Ice Shard
~ Protect
~ Grass Knot
~ Blizzard
Also I think Latios is a better option than the mentioned Kingdra.

If I replace the Hitmontop with Kingdra, would it be better or worse? Kingdra is only outsped by scarfed Mewtwo, so it can really sweep well in rain. I know the Hitmontop is there to flinch any threats or finish off pokemon that Kyogre wrecks, but I kinda doubt its usefulness.

And for the Latios what is the recommended moveset? I think I want Thunder, Surf, Dragon Pulse and Calm Mind.

If I replace the Hitmontop with Kingdra, would it be better or worse? Kingdra is only outsped by scarfed Mewtwo, so it can really sweep well in rain. I know the Hitmontop is there to flinch any threats or finish off pokemon that Kyogre wrecks, but I kinda doubt its usefulness.

And for the Latios what is the recommended moveset? I think I want Thunder, Surf, Dragon Pulse and Calm Mind.
You should consider doing some VGC research before you outright doubt the power of a consistent winning team.

In the tournament board, I have a thread called "Breaking Down the VGC Metagame MK. II" that gives some info on common lead pairs. "Breaking Down the VGC Metagame" is a thread I started dedicated to listing the biggest and most common threats in the meta, including most often see moves, abilities, and held items.

Woah thanks, read that already.

Latios @ Leftovers

252 SpA, 252 Speed, 4 HP, Serious nature

- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Thunder
- Dragon Pulse

Is this okay?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Latios looks fine, except with maybe Protect over either Thunder or Calm Mind. Also consider a Haban Berry over Leftovers so it doesn't get KO'd by a single Dragon attack. I think the Kingdra you mentioned would also work well in that slot.

Technician-boosted Mach Punch is just plain powerful, and KO's many threats, such as Smeargle and Dialga, easily. What's more, it doesn't even need a speed investment because all its moves get priority, so you can give it 252 HP EVs. It's proven itself very useful in the last two months, finding its way onto finalist teams at 5 out of 6 tournament stops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)