Team Outrage

Introduction

I began the building process of this team by selecting an appropriate late-game sweeper. After experimenting with a few choices, I settled on Salamence for a variety of reasons, including the following:

1. It posesses a variety of resistances.
  2. It has decent bulk and the Intimidate ability.
  3. It has access to a 120 BP Dragon move in the form of Outrage; Dragon is the most effective offensive typing due to its ability to hit every type except one, Steel, for neutral damage.

Team Building Process

With this in mind, I now had to carefully select useful teammates for Salamence.

First of all, the main obstacles standing in the way of a Salamence sweep would be the aforementioned Steel types. Scizor, in particular, can revenge kill Salamence, OHKOing after Stealth Rock and one round of Life Orb Recoil.

Therefore, Magnezone made a good partner for its unique ability to trap and kill Steels. The MagneMence duo also provides excellent synergy, resisting all 17 types.

Now I required a Pokemon to lure out Scizor and other Steel types, since Salamence will preferably remain hidden until late game.

After some careful consideration, I decided on a Choice Specs Latias. I originally tried Gengar, in a team setup similar to that of the famous Dark Passenger by Scofield. However, Gengar's frailty and the prevalence of Choice Scarf Tyranitars forced me to Focus Blast immediately upon sending it out, or else risk being taken out by a Scarfed Pursuit. Focus Blast's 70% accuracy rate and the fact that I only had one chance to succeed proved unreliable. Latias had considerably more bulk and could withstand a Pursuit, taking a maximum of 58.3% damage from the standard ScarfTar variant. This meant that I could bring her out, use Surf, and if a Tyranitar switched in, 2HKO it while surviving the Pursuit.

I rarely build any team without utilizing a Choice Band Scizor; its typing allows it to switch in often and either scout the enemy team with its powerful STAB U-Turns or revenge kill opposing threats with a STAB Technician Bullet Punch.

At this point, I realized that I needed a way to counter certain threats. In particular, a Dragon Dance Gyarados with Ice Fang could present notable difficulties, as I would be unable to stop it without sustaining significant damage.

One of the best Gyarados counters, Vaporeon, was chosen for its bulk and access to Wish, which would provide great support for my team overall.

With 5 of the team members chosen, all that remained was a lead. I wanted something bulky that could survive for later in the game. It also had to be able to set up Stealth Rock and synergize well with the rest of team. Fulfilling these requirements, Swampert completed the group and served as a counter to another threat that gave me problems, Agility Metagross.

Team Outrage

_______________________________________________​

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Protect
---
Summary: Swampert is easily one of the most reliable leads in OU due to its excellent bulk and typing, only possessing one weakness to Grass. I prefer it over frailer leads such as Azelf because it is able to sustain damage and survive to come back later in the game. Few other leads can easily dispatch of Swampert, which makes it highly likely that I will be able to set up Stealth Rock.

Moveset: Stealth Rock is necessary on any team, allowing sweepers (Salamence in my case) to have an easier time KOing enemy switch-ins. Earthquake is necessary for STAB and can even cause some damage to opposing Pokemon, especially ones that are weak to Ground, such as Metagross or Heatran. Ice Beam helps to take care of opposing Dragon types, notably Salamence and Dragonite, and also deals heavy damage to Gliscor. Protect is extremely useful, as it allows me to scout enemy attacks and shield myself from Explosion, a common move on many leads. It also has the added bonus of granting me another turn of Leftovers recovery.

EVs, Nature, and Item: The given EV's ensure Swampert will reach its fullest potential defensively. A Relaxed nature further contributes to its bulk, with a negligible drop in Speed, a stat insignificant on Swampert at any rate. Leftovers provides Swampert with recovery, making it even harder to take it down.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
---
Summary: As the #1 Pokemon in OU, Scizor offers numerous capabilities to any team. Its typing, also possessing only one weakness, gives it numerous opportunities to safely switch in, and either hit back with a powerful U-Turn, revenge kill with a Bullet Punch, or even KO a fleeing Ghost or Psychic type with Pursuit. While Choice Band has the unfortunate side effect of locking a Pokemon into a single move until switching out, Scizor abuses the attack bonus gained extremely well. U-Turn eliminates the locking-in effect, as it switches Scizor out anyway, and its other moves provide excellent usage as well.

Moveset: U-Turn, although used on most other Pokemon solely for scouting, gains STAB and hits off of a Choice Band-boosted 591 Attack when used with Scizor. This means that Scizor is able to scout and significantly weaken opposing teams simultaneously. Bullet Punch is required, gaining both a Technician and a STAB boost, which allows it to reach outstanding damage potential for a priority move; With Bullet Punch, Scizor becomes a threatening revenge killer. Superpower is the set's strongest move, and can OHKO two common Scizor switch-ins, Heatran and Magnezone. Pursuit rounds out the set by providing a method of defeating fleeing opponents weak to Dark-type moves.

EVs, Nature, and Item: The EV's listed are standard, providing Scizor with max Attack and a significant addition to its already good defenses. An Adamant nature ensures the highest Attack possible. Choice Band, as stated before, makes Scizor hit even harder; Scizor is arguably the best Choice Band user in OU.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/68 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
---
Summary: Vaporeon can fit well onto a wide variety of teams, due to its incredible bulk and ability to pass Wishes. Its job on this team is to counter one of OU's most threatening sweepers, Dragon Dance Gyarados, and to provide a means of healing for the team's other members.

Moveset: Wish is obligatory, providing my team with a means of healing most members otherwise would not have. Protect allows Vaporeon to receive its own Wish, keeping itself healthy for later use. Surf is necessary for STAB, and can do a decent amount of damage to opposing Pokemon. Hidden Power Electric easily takes care of Gyarados, who is unable to defeat Vaporeon even after a Dragon Dance.

EVs, Nature, and Item: The EV's and natures are standard, maximizing Vaporeon's weaker Defense stat. Even with a lower defensive stat, Vaporeon makes up for this problem with an outstanding Base 130 HP. Leftovers gives Vaporeon recovery each turn, which works well alongside Wish.

Latias (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
---
Summary: Latias is key to this team's success; it functions as a lure for Steel-types. Preferably, Scizor will be lured out, but Tyranitar is an extremely common switch in that poses a large threat. I attempt to alleviate this concern by always using Surf first. Scizor is 2HKOd, while most Tyranitar meet the same fate, although Choice Scarfed versions can get in a Pursuit. Scizor will rarely Bullet Punch if Latias is healthy, meaning I am free to outspeed and kill it. Even if Latias is taken out by this attack, however, Magnezone can then switch in to finish Scizor off. I selected the Choice Specs set for its raw power, able to easily create holes in the opponent's team to sweep through.

Moveset: Draco Meteor is one of the most powerful moves in the game, especially when hitting off of STAB, Choice Specs, and Latias' Base 110 Special Attack. Dragon Pulse is a second STAB, useful for damaging opponents without receiving a drop in Special Attack. Surf provides addition coverage and a way to hit Steels. Trick allows me to cripple most enemy switch-ins, and choose an attack at will.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Max Special Attack and Speed to hit as hard as possible while still outspeeding most enemies. A Timid nature brings Latias to 350 Speed, making it faster than most Gengar, as almost all of them run Hidden Power. Choice Specs makes Latias one of the most threatening users of Draco Meteor, increasing its Special Attack to 478. Its other moves remain powerful as well.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 40 Atk/216 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
---
Summary: Unique for its ability to trap Steels, Magnezone has earned itself a niche in the OU metagame. Its role is to eliminate the one type that can block Salamence from sweeping. Played correctly, Magnezone should open up a clean sweep for its teammate.

Moveset: Thunderbolt gets STAB and hits extremely hard off of Magnezone's Base 130 Special Attack; it is the primary move for eliminating opponents, as Steel types generally have poor Special Defense. Substitute allows Magnezone to dodge status and get an opportunity to throw in one more attack. Hidden Power Grass OHKOs Swampert, who would otherwise switch in safely to Magnezone's attacks. Explosion completes the set by destroying Blissey who attempt to switch in and sponge Special Attacks. This is especially important because Salamence is unable to OHKO Blissey with a boosted Outrage, and will likely receive a sweep-halting Thunder Wave in return.

EVs, Nature, and Item: The 40 Attack EVs provide additional power for Explosion. Max Special Attack makes Magnezone cause huge damage to most of its opponents. The rest of the EVs in Speed allow Magnezone to outpace the standard Scizor. A Naive nature brings up Magnezone's Speed while ensuring that it does not experience an Attack drop, a stat that is needed for Explosion. Leftovers keeps Magnezone healthy by providing recovery each turn.

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Roost
---
Summary: And the final member of the team is none other than its centerpiece and late game sweeper, Salamence. As stated in the analysis, Salamence is extremely dangerous because of its versatility, and "is arguably the most effective sweeper in OU." With opposing Steel-types eliminated, Salamence should be able to sweep easily with a combination of Dragon Dance and Outrage. Anything that can survive an attack will be hurt significantly, allowing other members of the team to clean up the remains, if there exist any.

Moveset: Dragon Dance provides Salamence with a simultaneous boost to its Attack and Speed; with this set, Salamence reaches an Attack of 553 and a Speed stat of 492. Outrage is the dragon's most powerful move, a 120 BP STAB attack that even hits several Steel-types hard. Earthquake provides coverage by damaging grounded Steels such as Metagross. Roost keeps Salamence at good health so that it can stay in for a longer sweep.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Max Attack and Speed for the most damaging set possible while still outspeeding many threats. A Jolly nature increases its Speed to 328, and was chosen over Naive because the usage of Magnezone and Latias eliminates the need to run Fire Blast. Life Orb further increases Salamence's damage output, giving it monstrous Attack taken into account the use of Outrage and a possible Dragon Dance.

Conclusion

In conclusion, this team focuses on eliminating obstacles and weakening enemy teams so that Salamence can garner a successful sweep. I'm unsure of how well-built this team is, but I've done my best to make my first RMT an interesting and well-written read. Hopefully there will be many suggestions available, as I'm looking for way to improve this team in any way possible.

Thanks to everyone for your time and patience!

If you're looking to eliminate Steel-Types, I would suggest running Hidden Power Fire on Magnezone. That way, you can take out Steels like Forretress and Scizor that would normally wall Salamence.
-Jen

Thanks for the suggestion. The primary reason I run HP Grass over HP Fire is because Thunderbolt already deals heavy damage to Steel types.

Well hi there =P...Thats a pretty solid team you have there but try this set for magnezone
Magnezone @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 Hp/224 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- T Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

The hp fire is like mandatory for any metal killer getting you a clean kill on basicly every kind of scizor in existence which could be rly annoying for that mence of urs. I persoanlly prefer Twave over explosion.This basicly allows you to get atleast 1 poke paralyzed 90% of the time. The plan is pretty simple...Sub up aginst scizors that are banded so basicly all of them....Some do have Life orb\Leftovers however so watch out for that.If thats the case just kill with hp fire.But with banded sub up and then kill it while u take most probably a 4x resisted bullet punch.Then after u kill it u have 1 free shot with that t wave or bolt of urs =P. I put 4 extra speed evs to outspeed the other magnezones that are trying to outspeed scizors :naughty:.

The only other thing i can suggest is Roar over Protect on ur swampert.Roar lets you scout..A LOT.I mostly get to see like 3-4 of his pokes while me only revealing one.But since you have no ghost type Protect might also be a good choice idk u decide.

And i also reccomend scarf instead of specs as it allows you to revenge the whole metagame and stuff like +1 mences.I rly dont like choiced items on latias but if u must have one scarf is 10x better

If you're going to run HP Fire, put 220 EVs in Speed and 36 EVs in Attack so you still outspeed Adamant Swords Dance Scizor.

EDIT: N00b lyf3 beat me to it

Well hi there =P...Thats a pretty solid team you have there but try this set for magnezone
Magnezone @ Leftovers
EVs: 36 Atk/218 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- T Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
:naughty:.
There is no need for a Naive nature or the attack ev's you have included because the set lacks Explosion. This set is decent, but his set is better because of it's ability to defeat Swampert and while still beating Scizor even though it doesn't have Hidden Power [Fire].

This is a beautiful team. I use a similar team, but a few pokemon are different. I think I may change them to the ones you use though.The only problem is see is opposing DD Salamences and Choice Specs/CM Latias. After a Dragon Dance you will have to rely on Scizor to end their rampage. The power that Specs Latias dishes out is invaluable; however, Salamence must be checked. I recommended that you at least test Choice Scarf on Latias. [It's a 50/50 toss up with the prevalence of Scarf Tar] This will open you up to more revenge kills from Scarf Tar, but Scizor should be able to abuse U-turn as Tyranitar after he kills Latias and inevitably switches out in fear of Bullet Punch. The Latias situation is a bit harder to explain. Scizor should be able to handle it though.

I think this team has the potential to reach the Leaderboard. I can see you having a little trouble with stall teams. Once you put Blissey/[Insert major wall here] out of commission with Trick, you may have a much easier time, though.

There is no need for a Naive nature or the attack ev's you have included because the set lacks Explosion. This set is decent, but his set is better because of it's ability to defeat Swampert and while still beating Scizor even though it doesn't have Hidden Power [Fire].

Oops sorry my bad didnt notice i just copy pasted the set in his rmt and made the change to wave 4got bout the nature,evs >.<...Kinda new to this you see

this thing looks well balanced, and i'm sure it is, but theres one major weakness i found: specially defensive skarmory. you don't have anything to deal with it, since nothing bar magnezone can ohko, and 70% of skarmory run shed shell so that won't help you either. skarmory comes in on everything bar magnezone (and mence to a lesser extent) and starts setting up spikes, which hurt your team badly.
to fix this, i will suggest 2 things: firstly, switch latias set to a lure set, using recover, hidden power fire, grass knot and draco meteor @expert belt. this will help you greatly in luring out steel types, especially scizor, and gives you one way to 2hko skarmory. because this latias lessens the need of magnezone, i'm gonna suggest a life orb starmie over magnezone, it fits the offensive nature of the team very well, while spinning away the spikes that hinder your team and simoultaneously luring out scizor and things like suicune who could give your mence trouble.
gl with the team, i hope my suggestions helped.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll experiment with the new changes and see whether or not they improve the team.

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Roost
If you are attempting a lategame sweep then Roost is useless. At this point in the game being able hit your opponent hard is much important than recovering off damage from threats that shouldn't even be alive. I exchange for Roost, you should consider Fire Blast as only Steel Pokemon can resist this set.

I chose Roost mainly because of the rest of the team is designed to eliminate anything that Fire Blast would normally take care if.

Is it actually unnecessary? Roost is slashed on Salamence's analysis page and this exact set is used quite often; Team Dark Passenger in the Rmt archive utilizes it.

I agree with Excellence. Salamence doesn't need Roost but if you feel so confident in your Magnezone's ability then I suppose you can vie for another move. Salamence's movepool is in no way shallow. Depending on what bothers your team you can actually switch to a plethora of moves. I think a filler offensive move would be more appropriate for your team than Roost. Just because someone else uses Roost on their Salamence doesn't mean you should. Every team requires something different. The filler can be Stone Edge, Brick Break, Crunch, Thunder Fang, etc. Locking yourself in Outrage is never the best option as even if you sweep through a few pokes the resulting confusion can be devastating should hax arise. Any super effective move is a good alternative providing it has enough BP to back it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)