Team Ronin (OU/UU) ~First team, please help!~

Team Ronin (OU/UU) ~First team, please help!~
First off let me say thanks for looking at my team, a lot of research and thought has gone into it but I’m still new to the competitive scene as a whole. Bear with my ignorance, but don’t hesitate to get down and dirty with the advice!

At a Glance…
As you can see, my team is about half and half when it comes to standard and nonstandard Pokémon. Most of my team consists of my favorites, but I’ve built it to be as balanced as possible.​
Team Objective:
Form my favorite Pokémon into a team that can offensively fight the metagame while keeping a balance of power and originality. The main objective, however, is to have fun doing it, even if I’m not the best!

To get a feel for how I made this team, I’ve put my team building process up front:​

From the very start I knew I wanted to wrap a team around my favorite Pokémon, Scizor (even before learning how powerful he’s become). Learning about what Scizor has grown to be further excited me and got my team off to a kick-start. At first I wanted Scizor to be my bulky, powerful lead, but this idea quickly changed with the introduction of Flygon.

After reading up on my second-favorite Pokémon, Flygon, I was even more surprised to learn how well these two work together in a scouting team. After some conflicting feelings about how my Scizor should be built, I decided to milk the famous choiced U-turners for all they’re worth.

Now with the idea of a tag-team dual-lead firmly in place, I began to broaden my perspective to how I would make a team around the two. Ninetales and Gengar are also high on my love-list, and bring helpful immunities to balance the team, as well as creating a 2/2 ratio of physical and special attackers.

(
or
or
)
My roster quickly complicated with the need for two more Poke’s. At first, the question I wanted to answer was, “Sure, I can switch into Ninetales for a fire attack, but then what?” Obviously I needed a water Pokémon that could take care of the fire. I looked to my three favorite water Poke’s and researched what they could do. I liked that Golduck could also use Hypnosis and Psychic, but he’s weak to Earthquake and just weak in general (in addition to being another special sweeper). Looking to Gyarados the opposite is true; he’s extremely powerful and laughs at Earthquake, but I didn’t want him to steal Scizor’s thunder. I liked that Kabutops could serve as a Stealth Spinner, due to my team’s necessity of both setting hazards and getting rid of its own. I felt that Kabutops was the best answer, but I still needed Poke number six.

After stumbling upon Porygon2 I knew I had a winner. After playing around with the three water Poke’s on Shoddy, I knew I had a severe weakness for Gyarados, Salamence, and Heatran. Porygon2 counters these three and more with its Trace ability. It can also counter an opposing Flygon if need be, by switching into a Levitating Earthquake and threatening the Ice Beam. Now, Gengar gets a real switch-in to Fighting attacks and I feel the synergy of the team just got even stronger. I know my team isn’t perfect, but for a bunch of my favorite Pokémon, I think it’s pretty good!

On to the actual summary:​

Scizor and Flygon serve as the typical choice Lead / Scout / Revenge Kill duo

Ninetales plays the (surprise) Flash Fire to back up Scizor and sets up for a special sweep
Gengar rounds out the team with immunities and serves as another sweeper
Porygon2 counters many common leads that otherwise threaten my team
Kabutops serves as the (surprise) Stealth Spinner and last-ditch fighter

Just looking at the team already, it’s apparent that my team is almost completely offensive, and doesn’t have a real wall-breaker, as well as being frail as a whole. Playing it on Shoddy, most of my success has depended on switches. There are some major threats, but I’ll address those later.​
Time to get deeper!
Lead/Scout/Revenge Killer
Scizor @ Choice Band​
Nature: Adamant​
Trait: Technician​
EV’s: 252Atk/248HP/8Spe​
Bullet Punch​
U-Turn​
Superpower​
Pursuit​
My main man, playing the typical Choice Puncher. Brings a lot of power to my team but also relies on Flygon and Porygon2. Takes care of many opposing leads but can otherwise safely switch to Flygon for the most part.​
Synergy:
Fire: Flygon, Ninetales, Kabutops, Porygon2 (Heatran)

Why Bullet Punch?
A better question is why not?​
Why U-Turn?
Another standard move, the quintessential scout maneuver.​
Why Superpower?
Takes care of Blissey, opposing Scizor, and several other Poke’s resistant to the first two moves.​
Why Pursuit?
Takes care of switch-outs and ghosts.

Why Scizor?
It’s my favorite Pokémon, besides being ridiculously powerful! Resists nearly everything but fire, which is more than compensated for from Flygon, Ninetales, Porygon2 (with Heatran) and Kabutops. A great lead with a team behind it.

Lead/Scout/Revenge Killer Buddy
Flygon @ Choice Scarf​
Nature: Adamant​
Trait: Levitate​
EV’s: 252Atk/252Spe/4HP​
Earthquake​
U-Turn​
Outrage / Dragon Claw​
Fire Blast​
Scizor’s shadow, covering eachother’s weaknesses and serving as scouts early-on, revengers late-game. These two are the center-piece of my team, and I think they’re pretty self-explanatory.​
Synergy:
Ice: Scizor, Ninetales, Kabutops
Dragon: Scizor

Why Earthquake?
STAB’d team killer makes this move Flygon’s Bullet Punch.​
Why U-Turn?
Scouting, of course.​
Why Outrage/Dragonclaw?
I’ve tried using Outrage for its power, but seem to always get taken advantage of. Would Dragonclaw be a better option?​
Why Fire Blast?
Taking care of Skarmory, Magnezone, and other Scizor threats.

Why Flygon?
My second favorite Pokémon works amazingly well with Scizor, and can provide some power of his own. An adamant-scarfed build still outruns many threats, and Salamence is taken care of by Porgyon2. Scizor and Flygon are the center of my team.

The Flash Fire Sweeper
Ninetales @ Life Orb​
Nature: Timid​
Trait: Flash Fire​
EV’s: 252SpA/252Spe/4SpD​
Flamethrower
Hypnosis
Nasty Plot​
Energy Ball​
Another of my favorites, switching in from Scizor and setting up a sweep from the surprise factor. I’ve heard how much better Arcanine is, but I like the Hypnosis and Energy Ball coverage, as well as keeping something called originality!​
Synergy:
Water: All neutral (Gengar and Porygon2 have Tbolt) (Energy Ball)
Ground: Flygon, Gengar
Rock: Flygon, Kabutops (Energy Ball)

Why Flamethrower?
STAB’d, accurate and boosted from Flash Fire, this is Ninetales’ main move.​
Why Hypnosis?
Allows a (much needed) safer setup, can be used when predicting a switch as well.​
Why Nasty Plot?
Allows her to assert herself into a sweep, can also be used during a switch.​
Why Energy Ball?
Taking care of waters on the way (Swampert…), powered by Nasty Plot.

Why Ninetales?
OK, I’m in love with Ninetales, but she can prove really effective on teams that never expect it. On the other hand, just as often I end up leaving her as final prey due to how difficult it can be to switch her in. I’m reluctant to let her go, but I’m listening.

The Standard Sweeper
Gengar @ Life Orb​
Nature: Timid​
Trait: Levitate​
EV’s: 252SpA/252Spe/4Def​
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Hidden Power (Fire)​
Yes, another typical team-killer at your service. Truthfully, Haunter is one of my favorites, but there’s no reason to choose it over Gengar competitively. His immunities give me more breathing space to how I can sweep, especially now that he has a true switch-in from Porygon2. Levitate is nice too, but I’m having some trouble learning how Gengar fits into my team otherwise due to how frail he is. I feel that I just need to get to know him more and he’ll be invaluable.​
Synergy:
Psychic: Scizor
Ghost: Porygon2, Scizor
Dark: Scizor

Why Shadow Ball?
STAB’d Lead Move, used with Focus Blast for type coverage. I need to learn when to use it though..​
Why Thunderbolt?
Can quickly take care of Gyarados from a death-switch.​
Why Focus Blast?
Used with Shadow ball for coverage, can be used on Tyranitar, Snorlax, Heatran, even Blissey (though Scizor is better for her)​
Why HP Fire?
Stands a chance against Scizor, Metagross, and other steels.

Why Gengar?
Another favorite, can come in on all sorts of attacks and threaten flocks of common Pokemon. I feel Gengar is pretty self-explanatory.

The Defensive Duck
Porygon2 @ Leftovers​
Nature: Bold​
Trait: Trace​
EV’s: 252HP/216Def/40SpA​
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Recover / Substitute
Toxic / Thunderwave​
Ah, Porygon2, the glue that holds my team together. Countering my biggest threats with ease, I’m surprised I didn’t think of it sooner. Gyarados and Salamence are countered with Intimidate, and immediately threatened with Thunderbolt. Heatran is nullified with Flash Fire and Ice Beam. Even Flygon could be dealt with if I predict an Earthquake. However, the newest member of my team is still as rough as any other newbie, no matter how well it fits.​
Synergy:
Fighting: Gengar

Why Thunderbolt?
Gyarados and Salamence used to crush my team. No more.​
Why Ice Beam?
Heatran and Flygon taken care of.​
Why Recover / Substitute?
Originally, Recover is used to regain any lost damage (hence the term defensive) but I don’t seem to be using it because I’m either attacking or switching to Gengar or another member. Maybe I’m playing Porygon2 like a sweeper, but I wonder if Substitute would be a better option for it (especially with Leftovers).​
Why Toxic / Thunderwave?
Supporting my team with statuses. I really like Toxic, but I’m not sure which would be more effective for my team.

Why Porgyon2?
Porygon2 seems to be a perfect asset to my team, countering many of my biggest threats. However, I feel like I’ve been playing it as a sweeper, only using its offensive moves and then switching out. I think I just have more to learn about how to use it (especially with its EV’s), otherwise Porygon2 is an indispensible team member.

The Stealth Spinner
Kabutops @ Leftovers​
Nature: Careful​
Trait: Battle Armor​
EV’s: 252SpD/152HP/104Atk​
Stealth Rock
Waterfall​
Stone Edge
Rapid Spin​
One of the 1st gen Pokémon I wanted but never got around to evolve to, Kabutops is the final member of my team, and for good reason. My team needs as much support as possible, and Stealth Rock provides it. My team doesn’t appreciate its own hazards, so Rapid Spin is also useful. Waterfall and Stone Edge are for putting up a fair fight against Zapdos and Heatran (or about anything else) with STAB’d attacks. However, I’ve always had problems switching him in, due to his frailty.​
Synergy:
Electric: Flygon
Grass: Scizor, Ninetales, Gengar
Fighting: Gengar
Ground: Flygon, Gengar

Why Stealth Rock?
The most useful hazard for my team, Kabutops can set it up quickly and effectively.​
Why Waterfall?
Can kill Heatran, Rhyperior, and others with STAB and 4x Supereffectiveness. The accuracy and flinch is what puts it above Aquatail.​
Why Stone Edge?
Puts up a fight against Flying types and others with STAB.​
Why Rapid Spin?
Gets rid of Stealth Rock, Spikes, and other hazards that hinder my team.

Why Kabutops?
Providing more support and type coverage, I feel that Kabutops is more useful than Forretress. Maybe I’m wrong, because I’ve always had trouble fitting Kabutops into the fray. Should I lead Kabutops to set up Stealth Rock ASAP? I worry that his frailty will almost always guarantee him a OHKO after setting up, and then I don’t have a spinner. Would Forretress be the better choice? Thanks for the help!​
I’m sorry if my team is a bit rougher than it should be for RMT, but I feel that enough work has gone into it (months) that soon it will be a polished, formidable team.​
Now, onto the Threat List…This is where the holes in my team clearly show, and where I think I need the most help:​

Threat List: (stolen from Atticus who stole it from Jabba’s thread which was stolen from KG's thread and then stolen from gary the gengar):

Black = Nonthreat
Green = Minor Threat
Red = Major Threat
(?) = Unsure if effective counter

Defensive Threats:

Blissey – Scizor, Gengar

Bronzong – Flygon (?)

Celebi – Scizor’s Pursuit

Cresselia – Scizor, Gengar

Dusknoir- Scizor’s Pursuit (watch out for Fire Punch), Gengar (?)

Forretress – Flygon, Gengar

Gliscor – Kabutops (?), Porygon2 (?) Both weak..

Gyarados – Porygon2, Gengar

Hippowdon – Flygon (?), Gengar (?)

Jirachi – Versitality and no sure-fire counters

Rotom-A – Gengar (?)

Skarmory – Flygon, Gengar

Snorlax – Gengar, Scizor (Watch out for Fire Punch)

Suicune – Flygon (Watch out for Ice Beam), Ninetales (during a sweep), Kabutops (?)

Swampert – Chip damage, try to Energy Ball with Ninetales (somehow), Gengar doesn’t have the moveset to counter..

Tyranitar – Scizor

Vaporeon – Porygon2, Gengar (?)

Zapdos – Flygon (Watch out for HP Ice), Kabutops (?)

Offensive Threats:

Azelf – Scizor

Breloom – Flygon, Ninetales, Gengar

Empoleon- Scizor (?), Gengar (?)

Gengar – Scizor, Gengar

Gyarados – Porygon2, Gengar

Heatran – Porygon2, Kabutops

Infernape – Flygon (?), Kabutops (Watch out for Grass Knot)

JolteonPorygon2, Flygon (?)

Raikou – Flygon (Watch out for HP Ice)

Latias – Scizor, Porygon2 (?)

Kingdra – I seem to have no effective counter…chip damage...

Lucario – Gengar (?)

Machamp – Gengar (?), Scizor (?)

Magnezone – Flygon (Watch for HP Ice), Gengar (?)

Mamoswine – Scizor, Gengar (?)

Metagross – Flygon, Gengar (?)

Salamence – Porygon2, Scizor (rosky)

Scizor – Scizor, Flygon, Gengar (risky)

Starmie – Scizor

Tyranitar – Scizor

Weavile – Scizor

Zapdos – Flygon (Watch out for HP Ice), Kabutops (?)

From the threat list it’s obvious how imperfect my team is, mostly from my lack of a wall-breaker. Certain Pokemon crush my team, such as Jirachi, Swampert, and Kingdra, while several others such as Rotom-A, Lucario, and Gliscor aren’t really covered either.
It’s also obvious how new I am to competitive battling; I may have read up on my team members and how well they could theoretically work together, but I have little to no understanding of how to really fight against the other Pokémon. When reading about counters to my biggest threats, Blissey and Tyranitar came up a lot. I wouldn’t mind switching out my UU Poke’s for them due to how problematic they’ve proven to be, if it should be deemed necessary (Ninetales doesn’t effectively counter anything, and Kabutops has the most weaknesses in the team, in addition to his frailty).
My team is imperfect, but I do like it this way nonetheless. Maybe what I would do is keep this team for fun and make an upgraded version for competition!
I apologize for my inexperience, and I hope my post has been polished enough to be acceptable for such a prestigious forum. If there’s anything you can think to help me with, I’m still very open to advice, critique, or anything!

To make it simpler to respond, I’ve numbered a few of my key questions:​
1. For Flygon, Outrage or Dragonclaw?
2. For Porygon2, which of those 4 moves should I use?
3. How should I fit Kabutops in? Should he lead (to get SR out ASAP)?
4. Despite multiple failings, is my team good as a whole? I don’t win a lot on Shoddy, but I do have fun, which I suppose my main objective…
5. Is there anything else you can comment on? Anything is appreciated!

Once again, thanks for looking at my team, a lot of research and thought has gone into it but I’m still new to the competitive scene as a whole. Bear with my ignorance, but don’t hesitate to get down and dirty with the advice!​

Months in the Making, asking for rates

Hello, it's been about 24 hours now and I feel that I haven't received much of a response (teh_demon PM'd me about ninetales, thank you!).

I think that a lot of it is because of the way I titled my post, asking for "help" in the typical way someone who hasn't thought their team through would beg for attention because they don't want to make an effort.

I may be new but I hope you can see how much time and thought I put into my team and into my post. If there's anything essential I'm missing and that's why nobody has responded, please tell me so i can fix it! (I realize I didn't do a lead-list for Scizor but I don't think that's required...)

Please respect the effort I've put into this, and do me a favor and give me SOMETHING...

Hey there. You are great at team making and your layout is immaculate!

Now on to your team. First i'm just going to answer some of the questions you stated previously.
-For Flygon i believe that you should stick with outrage, the speed from Choice Scarf and Outrages' power gives you a good chance of killing' something.

-If you believe you can get chances to use it, I think you should use substitute. If a Choicer comes in on a switch, you could use substitute and eat their attack, then switch to a counter.
For the status, I like thunder wave, because it is harder to stall out Pokemon when using substitute (if you want to) and thunder wave cripples the sweepers who threaten your team.

-I think Kabutops should stay where it is. It picks of Pokemon and sets up rocks and sweeps. if you put it in lead, you won't have much chance to setup and spin. he is so frail, he dies fast. in fact, if you think it is to frail, you could switch it altogether to a foretress but it is a little slow for your proposes.

-Overall I like your team, but it is a little rough with problems i am not qualified to fix.

That's all I have, sorry i don't have more.

GOOD LUCK!

Hi and nice team :)
First of all it is a good one for your first RMT and the team building process is also nice
I have some nitpicks though
Don't put scizor as a lead.It is one of the best revenge killer and scouter (if not the best) in OU but not the best lead.I think you need something on a lead slot.I may suggest Heatran over Kabutops and Gyarados over Ninetales as your sweeper,why?Gyarados and Scizor are great partner,Scizor help in gyarados sweep by killing Latias and Rotom-A (except Heat) with Pursuit while Gyarados stop opposing Scizor and absorb fire attacks.Heatran also useful in combatting the Rotom-A as they can't do almost anything (except wash)and still absorb fire attacks and also work well with Gengar.
Maybe Rotom-C with Scarf over Gengar?It kill swampert and hit Tyranitar hard with Leaf Storm,and can make Blissey useless with trick
Outrage on Flygon btw it give the much needed power Flygon lacks
How this team not covered Gliscor?I mean pory have Ice beam that can just KO...
That's all for now and good luck ;)

Hey Durgenbold,

this team certainly isn't bad for a first team, but here are some suggestions.

Ninetales is outclassed by Heatran. I suggest you use him instead. As noted before, leading with Scizor is a bad idea, so you can use tran as a lead. I would suggest something like this:

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Flash Fire
4HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion

This way your also taking away the need of stealth rock on Kabutops. Now as noted before, Gyarados would be a better sweeper then Kabutops (or ninetales) on this team, so I suggest using a DD variant over Kabutops, something like this:

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Intimidate
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

You lose Rapid Spin this way, but it isn't exactly vital for this team to be succesfull, so you should be able to play around it. The fact Gyara will attract a lot of electrical attacks will just give free switchins for Flygon (use outrage btw).

Also, as one last nitpick, I would suggest the Sub-Painsplit gengar over the current one, as it will attract lots of Scarftars, who will trap you, and this will give you a good set to beat it (aswell as a good check to several other pokes). Just change the moveset to Substitute/Pain Split/Focus Blast/Shadow Ball and your set.

I hope this helps (as its my second real rate) and good luck with the team (:

Thank you!

@ Everyone: Thank you for posting, I was begining to worry that I would be locked soon due to some rule I overlooked! I'm seeing a lot of Outrage love so I'll stick with it, I just need to keep myself from using it until late-game I suppose. I appreciate all the suppport!

@Shmendan: Thank you, I worked all day to make this great (visiting relatives, lol)! I'll use outrage, and I think your advice for Porygon2 makes a lot of sense. Kabutops has proven to be great every once in a while, but I think what the next two posters put forth fixes the problem. Thank you for being the first to help me, all I'm asking is for a response and you gave it! (Besides, I'm sure you're more knowledgeable than me about this stuff anyway!)

@ZapdosBlitz (cool avatar btw): Thanks about the team building, I figured that with such an unorthodox team it would be a pretty crucial part to explaining how the heck I felt justified putting this team together. While I haven't had much trouble with Scizor as my lead, being able to set up SR up front is attractive. When building my team I felt that Ninetales was simply an underclassed Heatran and could do whatever he could, but in that aspect Heatran makes a lot of sense. My hesitation of Gyarados came from the pride I felt about Scizor, but I see that he would be a good asset on my team as well (in addition to how attractive Red Gyarados is, notalgia ftw). Even with these two, Swampert is still a major problem and I see that Rotom-C can take care of that as well as messing Blissey up. Sorry about the Gliscor slip, I guess it's obvious how new I really am :P

@Optimusje: Thank you for agreeing with ZapdosBlitz so I'm not all confused, and providing me with sets. Do you think Rotom-C would be a better option over Gengar? I know my current moveset hasn't been as necessary (Tbolt from Porygon2), so I'm wondering which would be a better choice.

In summary, I think that I'll keep my team for fun (and in-game for SS, I've been IV breeding in LeafGreen almost as long as I've been teambuilding) and switch out my two UU for Heatran and Gyarados. Would Rotom-C be better that Gengar? I'll test everything out.

I wonder if these switches open up new weaknesses... testing time!

Ok,this is probably my last suggestion bcuz I gonna work for my own RMT ;)
I want to point out what make Rotom-C stands out against Gengar (in this team!gengar is a great sweeper no doubt about that)
First of all it keeps Swampert at bay (no people in their right mind keep Swampert against Rotom-C) and also hurt TTar (well it's not really an issue as Scizor can revenge kill it with Bullet Punch or Superpower,just be wary with Fire Punch when using Superpower)
It provide more resistance than Gengar,this include Flying,Electric,and Steel (especially useful when you use Gyarados)it also checks Skarmory and also give you
and give you fewer weakness than Gengar (Psychic?)
Stone Edge over Fire Blast for Flygon,because Fire Blast have so weak power (80 base and min nature) and you not have much problem with Scizor and Stone Edge allow you to revenge kill Gyarados.
I want to point out dangerous yet forgotten threat,SubChamp,behind the subs this poke wreak through your team if you keep the team in te following shape,behind the subs,Pory killed by Dynamicpunch (Lol traced No Guard),Kabutops also KOed,while the other cannot do much,and this is also the reason why I recommend Rotom-C as it's also cover physical threat with Will-o-Wisp (If u opt for defensive variant),allow you to cripple TTar,Lucario and Machamp (<3 100% acuracy WoW)
Well this is all for now again,GL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)