Team Shock Therapy [OU]

Shock Therapy

Introduction:

The concept started when I was laddering against an opposing team which used paraflinch jirachi. I was intrigued by the idea of a team centered around paralyzing the opponent. With that, I created this team. This team's concept is similar to Obi's We are the Machampions but I tend to play much more conservatively and try to end with a Togekiss sweep. The idea is simple: paralyze as much as you can, and then fire away. With two thunder wave users and one body slam user, paralyzing the opponent isn't too difficult, and many of my pokemon can abuse this paralysis and really frustrate the opponent. Overall, I have had a lot of success with this team, although it does have its flaws so I decided to post it here to get any help possible. I'm open to any suggestions and thanks in advance.

The Team:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Grass Knot
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

One of my favorite leads and a great fit for the team. I needed a spinner so that Gyrados and Togekiss won't have problems later on and Starmie was the first to come to mind. I tested it on the bench but it just worked so much better as the lead. It provides a check to a large part of the metagame, and its typing mean it can resist many attacks used by common leads, such as Infernape's Fire Blast and Close Combat, Azelf's Psychic and Fire Blast, and Metagross' Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch. Grass Knot over Thunderbolt to take out those pesky Swamperts. Rapid Spin is great because it allows Starmie to inflict that 1 HP damage which keeps those sashers alive, making it great against suicide leads. I'm a little concerned with Hydro Pump's accuracy, but it turns a lot of 3HKOs into 2HKOs, which I couldn't pass up on. I tested Life Orb as well as Focus Sash before Expert Belt. Life Orb did give a power boost, but really dented Starmie's survivability, and Focus Sash really wasn't all that useful as Starmie can usually survive a hit from most leads. Overall, a great asset to the team and usually starts the game off in my advantage.

After a lot of testing, I took Xephyr's advice and switched Expert Belt with Life Orb. The power boost was just too good to pass up.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch

The first of the parahaxers. Jirachi is my go-to physical wall and sets rocks for me. Body Slam's 60% paralysis rate really pisses the opponent off and Body Slam + Iron Head + Serene Grace means that the opponent wont be attacking very often. Wish is when Jirachi is low on health. It is likely that the opponent wont be attacking anyway so Wish is the perfect recovery move for Jirachi and he can aslo support the team well. Jirachi takes physical hits like a champ. Even Salamences +1 Outrage isnt a 2HKO. EVs are straightforward. 32 Speed EVs beat Jolly Tyranitar and Timid Magnezone, 252 HP EVs for survivability, and the rest are poured into defense.

Likewise, I took Xephyr's advice and switched Wish with Fire Punch to make Jirachi a great scizor counter.

Gyrados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

Gyrados is the first of my sleep talkers and a very capable one at that. Gyrados is a great physical wall with its above average defenses and Intimidate, and Restalk just adds to its survivability. Gyrados along with Jirachi make up my physical walls, and cover each other nicely. With these EVs, a +1 Life Orb Gyrados's Stone Edge won't OHKO my Gyrados even after Stealth Rock damage. Waterfall for STAB and Roar so I don't get set up on. I tested Dragon Dance and Stone Edge, but I really needed Roar for BPers and set up pokemon as well as adding on stealth rock damage.

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 42 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- DynamicPunch
- Stone Edge
- Payback
- Substitute

Ah, Machamp, the second of my sleep talkers. When everything is paralyzed, he really shines. The Restalk set helps Machamp absorb status as well as takes advantage of the low PP of DynamicPunch. Nothing likes switching into a STAB DynamicPunch from the monstrous attack of Machamp, as well as 100% confusion rate thanks to No Guard. The second attacking move was a toss up. Payback was in place of Ice Punch to get rid of those pesky rotoms but in the end, I had to go with Ice Punch because Gliscor can pose a huge threat to the team. Ice Punch also helps with taking out Dragons as well as Celebi, who can also be annoying.

Since Machamp forces a ton of switches, Sub-champ is a monster. I can't tell you how many times I've swept with this guy. I just switch it into something like Blissey, and when it switches out, I substitute. Then I hammer the switch with any of my three attacks. I dare anyone to try out this set and not be impressed. Just an all-around beast. Dynmaicpunch for STAB and 100% confusion, Stone Edge for mainly Gyrados, and Payback for ghosts who can't be hit by Dynamicpunch. I honestly don't remember where I got the set from, but I remember seeing it on an RMT and decided to try it out, so credit for whoever used it first =P.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 80 SpA / 176 SpD
Calm nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave
- Grass Knot

Blissey, the first of my Thunder Wave users and first of my special walls. The strategy is simple: switch Blissey in on a special attacker, and Thunder Wave their switch in. Flamethrower is for those pesky Scizors that think they can switch in on me, and Grass Knot is for Tyranitar, Starmie, Suicune, etc. and for some coverage. Natural Cure is great to absorb status, and overall, I've been very pleased with Blissey.

Togekiss @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Air Slash

Togekiss is usually my mid-late game sweeper as well as special wall. Once everything is paralyzed, Togekiss wreaks havoc. Unboosted Air Slashes are nothing to laugh at, and paired with Thunder Wave and Serene Grace, opponents only have a 30% chance of attacking. Nasty Plot is just the icing on the cake. Once Togekiss's counters are gone, it is extremely hard to take out. Maxing out its Special Defense allows it to take Special Attacks extremely well. Lum Berry over Leftovers so that its' sweep isn't ruined by status.

Threat List:

Red names indicate a serious threat
Orange names indicate a moderate threat

Defensive Threats

Blissey - Machamp completely destroys Blissey, while Jirachi and Gyrados can handle her pretty well.

Bronzong - Machamp is the main counter. Dynamicpunch is usually a 2HKO and confusion usually means it can't fight back. Gyrados is also a pretty reliable counter, and won't be OHKO'd by Explosion after the Intimidate drop.

Celebi - Blissey and Togekiss can handle Celebi with ease, and once its weakened, Starmie can threaten it with Ice Beam.

Cresselia - Blissey can usually handle Cressy pretty well, as well as Togekiss.

Donphan - Pretty much anything can take Donphan.

Dusknoir - Dusknoir can't do much to Blissey and Togekiss can usually set up on it. Doesn't pose much of a threat to the team.

Forretress - Haven't seen one of these in a while, but Starmie or Togekiss should be able to take him.

Gliscor - Gliscor can sometimes be an annoyance due to its immunity to Thunder Wave, but Machamp and Starmie can take it with Ice Punch and Ice Beam, respectively, and Jirachi can still paralyze it with Body Slam and flinchhax it to death.

Gyarados - Gyrados can sometimes be a pest due to not having any electrical attacks on the team, but once its paralyzed, it isn't too hard to take care of. Jirachi usually takes care of it pretty well, and my own Gyrados can usually switch into it and roar it away.

Hippowdon - Starmie destroys Hippowdon leads, and Togekiss can handle Hippowdon pretty well.

Jirachi - Jirachi can be a problem to this team, especially due to its unpredictability. Scarfrachi can usually be taken care of with predicition, but CM Jirachi poses a large threat to the team. Once its behind a sub, I can't paralyze it, and once it gets a few CM's up, it's hard to take out. Machamp can put a huge dent in it if I can predict the switch, as well as Starmie and Gyrados. I just can't let it setup.

Rotom-A - The Rotom appliances can be a bit annoying, but Blissey can handle them easily as long as I don't get tricked. Togekiss also suprisingly works well as a counter, because it can take a few thunderbolts and set up on it. Starmie also 2HKOs most variants.

Skarmory - Most of the team can handle Skarmory so he isn't much of a threat.

Swampert - Starmie destroys Swampert leads, which is where you see them most often, and Blissey can also take out Swampert without taking too much damage in the process.

Tentacruel - Doesn't pose much of a threat to the team at all, pretty much everyone can handle it.

Tyranitar - Not a problem to this team. Starmie 2HKOs with Grass Knot, Machamp OHKOs with Dynamic Punch, Jirachi 2HKOs with Iron Head, and Gyrados can usually take it.

Vaporeon - Starmie usually takes care of it. Blissey and Togekiss can handle it as well.

Zapdos - Starmie threatens it with Ice Beam, Machamp can usually handle it, and Blissey can paralyze it and go from there.

Offensive Threats

Azelf - Most people just use it as a lead, and Starmie can handle it. If I can predict the explosion, Jirachi can take it pretty easily.

Breloom - Breloom can sometimes be a problem due to the fact that it can't be paralyzed, but Machamp, Gyrados, Starmie, and Blissey can take its sleep and Togekiss can take on Breloom pretty well.

Electivire - Once it gets a boost from Thunder Wave, it can be really annoying to take down, but I usually rely on Jirachi to handle it, and he usually gets the job done. If Jirachi is gone though, I don't have anything to stop it from sweeping.

Gengar - Blissey can handle Gengar pretty easily.

Gyarados - Gyrados can sometimes be a pest due to not having any electrical attacks on the team, but once its paralyzed, it isn't too hard to take care of. It usually doesn't get a chance to set up. Jirachi usually takes care of it pretty well, and my own Gyrados can usually switch into it and roar it away.

Heatran - Most of my team can take care of it, not a problem.

Infernape
- Isn't too much of a problem, especially after its paralyzed. Even so, Starmie takes care of it.

Jolteon - Jolteon can also be a pain but Blissey and Jirachi can usually keep it from causing too much damage.

Kingdra -Kingdra can also be an annoyance once it sets up, but Gyrados can usually come in and take care of it, as well as Jirachi.

Latias
- Refresh Latias can destroy this team once it sets up. Starmie can take care of it early and Machamp can threaten it with Ice Punch. Jirachi and Togekiss can also take Dragon Pulses.

Lucario - Once Lucario sets up, its hard to take out as well. Machamp can usually take care of it, as well as Gyrados. I just have to hope I can Thunder Wave it before it causes too much damage.

Machamp - Doesn't pose too much of a threat. Togekiss can take the Dynamicpunch on the switch in if necessary and OHKO with Air Slash, Jirachi can take a DP and hax it to death, and Gyrados can rest off the confusion and take it out as well.

Magnezone - Blissey walls it and can fight back with flamethrower.

Mamoswine - Not much of a problem. Starmie, Machamp, and Gyrados can take Mamoswine pretty well, and even Jirachi on occasion.

Metagross - Most Metagross are leads, and Starmie can take care of it. If not, Machamp and Gyrados do a decent job.

Salamence - Once its paralyzed, its easy picking. I can't let it get a DD up without being paralyzed first or it can be a problem, but Gyrados can usually handle it and roar it away.

Scizor - Gyrados walls it, Machamp does heavy damage, and Starmie 2HKOs it, OHKO with stealth rocks down.

Starmie - Blissey can usually handle it as well and my own Starmie can usually come in on it once its weakened.

Suicune - Most of my team can handle it; not too much of a problem.

Togekiss - Starmie usually takes care of it pretty easily, and once its paralyzed, it isn't much of a problem at all.

Tyranitar - Starmie 2HKOs with Grass Knot, Machamp OHKOs with Dynamic Punch, Jirachi 2HKOs with Iron Head, and Gyrados can usually take it.

Hmmm, I'll save you a bump here, give you something that I think will help you with your current threats...looking over your threat list, I see that machamp and gyrados aren't mentioned too much, and they fulfill similer roles, so I think one could be replaced with scarf flygon. He outspeeds and ohkos all of your threats with a plus speed nature. The main question is who to replace. Gyrados gives you a bit of a scizor weakness, while machamp has the only fighting move on your team. I personally would go with keeping gyra (scizor is way more common then machamp) but it's your choice.

Hmmm, I'll save you a bump here, give you something that I think will help you with your current threats...looking over your threat list, I see that machamp and gyrados aren't mentioned too much, and they fulfill similer roles, so I think one could be replaced with scarf flygon. He outspeeds and ohkos all of your threats with a plus speed nature. The main question is who to replace. Gyrados gives you a bit of a scizor weakness, while machamp has the only fighting move on your team. I personally would go with keeping gyra (scizor is way more common then machamp) but it's your choice.
Gyrados serves as my physical wall for the most part while Machamp basically just opens up holes in the opponents team. They both serve different purposes while both absorbing status, because this team hates status. Scarf Flygon sounds like an alrite idea but there just isn't anything that I would be willing to substitute for it. However, I will try it out, thanks.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Definitely do not replace anything for a scarfed pokemon, thats not the point of your (stall) team.

I would simply recommend getting better stallers, put in skarmory or forretress instead of jirachi, and put like swampert instead of machamp. Lastly rotom or celebi over togekiss. Also, if you replace jirachi with forretress you can replace starmie with swampert, then rotom and celebi instead of machamp and togekiss. That makes it lose lots of originality but makes it more effective in general at covering threats.

Definitely do not replace anything for a scarfed pokemon, thats not the point of your (stall) team.

I would simply recommend getting better stallers, put in skarmory or forretress instead of jirachi, and put like swampert instead of machamp. Lastly rotom or celebi over togekiss. Also, if you replace jirachi with forretress you can replace starmie with swampert, then rotom and celebi instead of machamp and togekiss. That makes it lose lots of originality but makes it more effective in general at covering threats.
You just told me to replace my whole team =/. This team really isn't stall at all, I play defensively until I paralyze most opponents and then go offensively from there.

Just enough time for a quick rate.

If you have two sleep talkers on your team and a Blissey you may want to put Heal Bell on Blissey over Grass Knot to cure your team of status and wake up your Sleep Talkers. If you are doing that you may want to replace Sleep Talk on Machamp with Payback to deal with Rotom.

Just enough time for a quick rate.

If you have two sleep talkers on your team and a Blissey you may want to put Heal Bell on Blissey over Grass Knot to cure your team of status and wake up your Sleep Talkers. If you are doing that you may want to replace Sleep Talk on Machamp with Payback to deal with Rotom.
I'm perfectly fine with Machamp and Gyrados absorbing sleep. They're never both asleep at the same time so it usually isn't a problem at all. Thanks for the advice though.

Wow, Hellriser, you haven't got a decent rate yet, imo >_>

Anyhow, I suggest Life Orb on Starmie. Expert Belt can usually be a good choice, but off the top of my head you're only hitting like 3 of the top 10 leads for super effective damage, so Expert Belt won't be helping you too much.

I think you should replace Wish on Jirachi and let Blissey handle the Wishing. In replacement, Jirachi wouldn't mind having an elemental punch instead. With those defensive EVs, you could easily use Fire Punch or Ice Punch and allow Jirachi to be an excellent Scizor/Salamence stopper, as long as the Salamence doesn't have a lot of Fire Blasting power.

I love that Gyarados set.

I think Stone Edge will be more helpful than Ice Punch on Machamp. It grants better coverage I believe, and still hits Salamence and the like really hard, and continues to work as a a way to damage Gyarados.

Blissey wants Wish over Softboiled and Thunderbolt/Ice Beam over Grass Knot.

Togekiss looks good and as gay as ever, lol.

Wow, Hellriser, you haven't got a decent rate yet, imo >_>

Anyhow, I suggest Life Orb on Starmie. Expert Belt can usually be a good choice, but off the top of my head you're only hitting like 3 of the top 10 leads for super effective damage, so Expert Belt won't be helping you too much.

I think you should replace Wish on Jirachi and let Blissey handle the Wishing. In replacement, Jirachi wouldn't mind having an elemental punch instead. With those defensive EVs, you could easily use Fire Punch or Ice Punch and allow Jirachi to be an excellent Scizor/Salamence stopper, as long as the Salamence doesn't have a lot of Fire Blasting power.

I love that Gyarados set.

I think Stone Edge will be more helpful than Ice Punch on Machamp. It grants better coverage I believe, and still hits Salamence and the like really hard, and continues to work as a a way to damage Gyarados.

Blissey wants Wish over Softboiled and Thunderbolt/Ice Beam over Grass Knot.

Togekiss looks good and as gay as ever, lol.
lol thanks for the help. I tested Life Orb on Starmie before Expert Belt but Starmie is just much too frail. I am usually able to take out the opponents lead with Starmie, but occasionally, they decide not to stealth rock at all and take a shot at Starmie. It usually survives, but not with much left. That is when I switch it out and bring it back later to revenge kill. With Life Orb, I really can't do that, though the extra power would be really nice. I'll test it out again and see.

Fire Punch does sound pretty promising, I'll be sure to test that out, though I like wish on Jirachi because he is my main switch in to physical attacks and I like to keep him alive as long as possible. Once the opponent is paralyzed, I use wish when needed, and Jirachi is usually sturdy enough to survive another attack if the opponent isn't paralyzed first. then Iron Head away, and I should get that health back. Jirachi also makes a pretty good wish passer. Fire Punch would make Jirachi a great Scizor counter though, hmm. I would have wish on Blissey, but I don't like it on Blissey without protect, and I want the extra coverage. Grass Knot nets so many suprise kills that I just dont want to part with it.

Machamp is my main counter to gliscor, which my team doesn't like. Stone Edge is very tempting, but Ice Punch has proven to be necessary. However, I haven't seen too many gliscor lately, so I'm going to test Stone Edge again, thanks.

Again, thanks for your help and I'll take it all into consideration =].

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Wish/Cosmic Power

The first of the parahaxers. Jirachi is my go-to physical wall and sets rocks for me. Body Slam's 60% paralysis rate really pisses the opponent off and Body Slam + Iron Head + Serene Grace means that the opponent wont be attacking very often. Wish is when Jirachi is low on health. It is likely that the opponent wont be attacking anyway so Wish is the perfect recovery move for Jirachi and he can aslo support the team well. Jirachi takes physical hits like a champ. Even Salamences +1 Outrage isnt a 2HKO. EVs are straightforward. 32 Speed EVs beat Jolly Tyranitar and Timid Magnezone, 252 HP EVs for survivability, and the rest are poured into defense.​

Maybe I suggest Cosmic Power over Wish? With this, you can raise both of your Defenses, most likely paralyze the opponent with Body Slam, most likely Flinching the opponent with Iron Head, and setting up Stealth Rock.

Boy, I think that this set could REALLY tick someone off.

P.S. Just wondering, how did you get such a terrific Jirachi? Colosseum Bonus Disk?

Maybe I suggest Cosmic Power over Wish? With this, you can raise both of your Defenses, most likely paralyze the opponent with Body Slam, most likely Flinching the opponent with Iron Head, and setting up Stealth Rock.

Boy, I think that this set could REALLY tick someone off.

P.S. Just wondering, how did you get such a terrific Jirachi? Colosseum Bonus Disk?

It's a shoddy team =/, and thanks, but no thanks. Cosmic Power just doesn't fit. Updated the team, made a lot of changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)