Project Team Study v2: Week 3(McMeghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Co hosted with and OP stolen from Shadow_Sneak
Approved by AM

What is this for?
The basic idea of this thread is to look at a high level player's team under the microscope and see what the community can find and learn from each team. Discussing a team helps not only you learn and think about it, but the fellow OU'rs who are new can learn by reading your post. It is a win-win situtation! Additionally, you are supplied with high-level teams to take ideas from if you like a build, and it gives us a look at what is "good" in the high-stakes Tournament metagame.

How does it work?
Each week (more or less) there will be a high-level team that will be displayed for the community as a whole to discuss. The aim of this discussion will be to analyze the team by identifying roles and explaining their purpose, investigating specific movesets and Pokemon choices, strong points of the team, flaws it may have and even questions concerning unusual or confusing aspects. Essentially, the team will serve as a model to learn from and an example to refer to. Once the discussion is over, the teambuilder will post explaining his decisions and answering any questions or false ideas concerning them.

What do I get out of it?
  • A good look at current tournament teams and trends.
  • Insight on how teams are built and more knowledge of the OU Metagame.
  • Thought processes of experienced players.
  • A good, intelligent thread!

Archive for past teams:
Version 1.0
Ben Gay: Week 1

Tesung: Week 2

TDK: Week 3

Ben Gay: Week 4

Ben Gay: Week 5

CTC: Week 6

Whitequeen: Week 7

BKC: Week 8

KratosMana: Week 9

TheEnder: Week 10

Version 2.0:

Stathakis: Week 1

Steve Angello: Week 2

McMeghan: Week 3

Last edited:
Thanks to Stathakis for this week's team

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Wish

• What do think was the main/inspiring idea/goal that Stathakis had when building this team?
  • Is there a discernible core that he tried to build around?
  • What are the strong points of the team?
  • What are the weak spots?
  • How could his use of certain EV/moveset twists help his team vs specific threats or archetypes?
  • How does he use some underrated threats to give his team an advantage?
  • Do you think this team could shine in the ORAS Metagame?

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Guess I'll take the first crack at this. (First time doing anything of this nature.)

• What do think was the main/inspiring idea/goal that Stathakis had when building this team?
From what I can see, the goal of this team is to remove Bisharp's checks and counters in order to facilitate a late game sweep.

Mega-Medicham + Bisharp is the main core I can see in this team. MegaCham can break down Bisharp's checks and counters (Opposing Dark types, Physically defensive Pokemon, e.g. Quagsire & Hippowdon) while Bisharp takes care of bulky Psychics such as Slowbro and Cresselia, while also being able to take out Mega Sableye.
The strong points of this team include the Mega Medicham + Bisharp core I mentioned earlier, a backup sweeper (CM Latios) to support the Physical sweeper, and a really nice revenge killer / cleaner in Choice Scarf Keldeo.
There are weaknesses to Mega Altaria, Mixed Thundurus, and a slight Weavile weakness. Being unable to break through common defensive cores, most notably Mega Sableye + Fairy poses a slight problem.
  • How could his use of certain EV/moveset twists help his team vs specific threats or archetypes?
CM Latios is amazing to break through both balanced and stall teams rather decently.
The usage of CM Latios in order to break down it's common checks is a real genius idea. Mega Medicham is also a really underrated threat, as most teams are unprepared for it in this meta.
Absolutely. It has all the tools to function, the most notable of which is being able to handle all common threats in the current meta.

Week 2:
Thank you Steve Angello

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Counter
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Charizard (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 88 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Psychic

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Power-Up Punch
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Wave

• What do think was the main/inspiring idea/goal that Steve Angello had when building this team?

Last edited:
  • What do think was the main/inspiring idea/goal that Steve Angello had when building this team?
I think Steve Angello wanted to overwhelm offensive and defensive teams alike by running powerhouses as SD sand rush excadrill and DD zardx. Celebi and azumarill serve as glues and pivots for the team. Celebi can easily put up subs and pass them to teammates while azu lures in ferrothorn with PuP and superpower. Thundurus lures in hippowdon for zardx and drill, fairies, and venusaur for azu rounding out the team with one last strong attacker.
I think he started off with the core of zardx+azu or zardx+sand since the former is a nice core that does a good job at eliminating each other's checks (azu wipes out hippo, lando, etc while zard handles bulky grass types and can set up on most water types) and the latter is a strong core that uses drill+zard's offensive prowess to overwhelm their checks through sheer power.
Each member will always have a role in every single match. Even if azu can break bulky grounds for zardx, it can't break things like suicune. That's where celebi and thundurus come into play. Drill can weaken frail offensive teams while azu comes in for a clean up with Pup+jet doing the same damage a banded azu would do. Celebi can pass subs to zardx for easier dragon dances and thundurus to avoid priority moves as it can also clean up/ lure things in. The team functions very well and each member supports each other.
Not sure but it seems like the team can struggle vs mega scizor balance/offense. More so offense since balance carries things like hipposkarm etc which this team can get rid of easily. As for offense, I'm specifically thinking of a team bad ass used that had azumarill, weavile, and manaphy. Banded azu demolishes this team since it has no switch ins.
The tyranitar set is very interesting as I've only seen counter once on low ladder. Seems like a clutch move to deal big damage, especially when used in tandem with chople berry. The azu set its also very cool running AV to better handle special attackers and PuP to boost its attack to function similar to banded azu. Finally, the thundurus set is very team specific designed to lure and eliminate certain threats to facilitate a zardx/drill sweep.
I'm not sure if this counts but I guess celebi is pretty underrated atm with increasing usages of torn, weavile, etc but celebi is still very good glue that can hit hard with psychic and pass subs to its teammates.
Of course! It looks like a pretty standard sand offense team but once you know the sets you realize that it is far from standard and has lots of tricks.

Last edited:
Thank you McMeghan

Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator EVs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 68 SpD / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Slack Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Low Kick

Excadrill (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator EVs: 244 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

• What do think was the main/inspiring idea/goal that McM had when building this team?
  • Is there a discernible core that he tried to build around?What are the strong points of the team?

Yo!

I think McMeghan indeed wanted to use a regenarator core that checks lots of the meta. So he went with those 3 regenerators bros and a slow paced/defensive team, with some speed control and excellent pivot with AV Tornadus.

As the teams does not like hazards on its field (regenarator feels good with no hazards on our side of the battlefield), the perfect comrade for this regenerator core was

However the team was weak to some OU powerhouses such as
and
, so he added a pretty cool and creative defensive
. It counters bisharp and weavile which are otherwise big threats for this team (they ohko/2hko every mon on the team bar nape). So Nape absorbs knocks off all day and come in during all the battle thanks to reliable recovery (slack off), he would otherwise be a simple check to these powerful monsters (weavile + bisharp) but with HP investment and slack off becomes a counter. Furthermore mega Sable + Exca help Nape to come with ease thanks to hazards control. Furthermore WoW nape helps Mega Sable in spreading burns on opponent's team, by luring Mega Altaria/Azu/Landos etc...

Some bulky mons still stay annoying for the team, such as SD spe def
and spe def/taunt
so McMeghan went foul play on every mon lol. Spe def talon loves to come in on Mega Sable however its a bad idea to come in on Mega Sable with this team because the latter has knock off + foul play and will always win the 1V1 (cant be taunted and can recover, if talon SD, he gets destroyed by foul play). HP ice tornadus also says "NO" to any attempt of gliscor to set up (i don't feel making calcs but it's a 2hko for sure)

I like the fact that it's a slow paced/defensive team with some good offensive presence and speed control (
+ scarf
). Furthermore scarf exca is very good to stop volt turn cores which the teams does not like, and have a kill on Mega Manectric who would be overconfident and stay in front of it.

However I think some fire mons such as
or DD jolly
are trouble for this team, overall because the only "status spread" is WoW (and spore of course). The latter (zard X) is really annoying as he a has good opportunities to set up in this team and if slowbro is somehow weakened, he can sweeps and drill can't even revenge it (the only mon to take a hit from jolly zard X at +1 is mega Sable but: +1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 136 Def Mega Sableye: 288-340 (94.7 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO).

I also feel mega Sable needs to mega asap, and SR Clef puts pressure on it and forces the switch.

Finally I like the CM
who is a surprising win con and can set up on lot of common mons which rely on a 1hit powerful attack such lati@s.

Yo this is my first time doing it be kind lol :pimp:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • What do think was the main/inspiring idea/goal that McM had when building this team?
To me it looks like McMeghan wanted to build a semi-stall team that relied on slowly wearing down the opponent by winning the hazard war. Combine that with abusing Regenerator mons that didn't have to waste turns recovering like common stallmons (cough Chansey) so he could keep up some form of offensive pressure.
  • Is there a discernible core that he tried to build around?What are the strong points of the team?
Maybe I'm completely wrong but to me it looks like the foundation was Mega Sableye + Choice Scarf Excadrill. This core provides the foundation to win the hazard war; Sableye bounces back hazards and spinblocks while Excadrill spins away hazards. It also checks a lot of the fairy types that threaten Mega Sableye as well as being able to outspeed and revenge a lot of the fire types that threaten it as well.
Charizard. Both Charizards pretty much completely own this team. Charizard X would be checked by Slowbro but since it lacks Thunder Wave, Zard can just set up until it can 2HKO with Dragon Claw. It'll take some Scald damage in the process but yeah. Zard Y pretty much just spams attacks and there isn't a good switch-in. The best is Tornadus-T which has very inaccurate Hurricanes in sun. Infernape is also straight up 2HKO'd by Timid Fire Blast under sunlight. Mega Gardevoir also puts in a lot of work against this team.
I think the choice of Hidden Power [Ice] on Tornadus-T is a pretty key moveslot. Swords Dance Gliscor can be a pain, as well as SD variants of Lando-T and Garchomp. I like the choice to go slightly more specially defensive on Amoonguss as well to help buffer against Keldeo so Slowbro can CM up without getting burned. Helps with a few other special attackers like Glare Serperior as well.
The Wisp set on Infernape gives an amazing answer to Mega Scizor, Bisharp and Weavile all of which would be large threats to the team otherwise. Calm Mind Slowbro also is a pretty nice win condition and can take on some things that would normally check it once it has a CM under its belt. It also allows him to beat other Calm Minders in a setup war. Scarf Excadrill is a threat often forgotten in this metagame but it has a pretty decent cleaning ability since many teams rely on Levitate pokemon as their ground resists.
I think it could work, but Charizard is so good in the current metagame and this team struggles heavily against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)