Team utter infuriation! (Peaked #603 on PBC)

So I decided to use the rather frustrating Sigilyph. Why? It just appealed to me. Then I had a thought: why not come up with a total stall-out team? This is a sandstorm team designed purely to either a) annoy the opponent into ragequit or 2) stall them out using Sigilyph. Either way, it's a fun team, my latest, and my highest ranking, and while #603 on PBC isn't all that good, it's still my best.

So to build a team based around Sigilyph, I'd need - well - Sigilyph.

Then I decided Sigilyph would need something to absorb special Electric, Ice, Ghost and Dark type attacks aimed at it. Who else? Blissey!

Then I needed a physical defender who could take on Rock attacks. Enter, Gliscor.

Woah, big ice weakness! And Blissey isn't exactly going to last forever. So let's throw in something a bit original, like Gastrodon.

OK, coming along nicely, now let's throw in Aron! (?!) I'll explain why later.

Finally a lead. I preferred Hippowdon for Rocks, and Sand Stream, as well as reasonable bulk + Slack Off to beat TTar to this slot (I didn't actually use Slack Off in the end).

I couldn't find an animated Hippowdon.

The Team

Hippowdon
@ Leftovers
Impish: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Roar
-Protect
-Ice Fang
As far as leads go, there aren't many more suitable for this team. When it comes to setting up Rocks, Hippowdon may not be #1, but it can do Sand Stream, and with no double weaknesses, it mostly doesn't go down too quickly. My EV spread is a bit odd, with Impish upping my defense, yet all the EVs crammed into special defense. This is to ensure I'm protected on both sides reasonably well, and often prevents many 2HKOs factoring in Protect and Leftovers. The moves are quite different from the usual ones, bar Stealth Rock, Roar, and, at a push, Ice Fang. Protect helps me to scout out moves whilst healing with Leftovers and racking up sandstorm damage. I'm not too sure why I have Ice Fang, it would probably be better if I have Earthquake. Still, Protect > Slack Off has really benefited my entire team, being able to scout attacks really well, and get out some other pokemon should a Taunt come my way.

Aron (Lv.1) @ Shell Bell
0 IVs
-Endeavor
-Protect
-Toxic
-Sandstorm
Aron was a little trick I picked up off PBC on my way up. It is very efficient at dealing with certain threats. To explain how it works, here's a battle format...

Opponent uses Attack A!
Aron loses X% of its health!
Aron hangs on thanks to Sturdy!

Aron uses Endeavor!
Opponent loses Y% of its health!
Aron restores X% of health thanks to Shell Bell!

The sandstorm rages.
Opponent loses 1% of its health!
Opponent fainted!

So as you can see, it's very much like a reusable F.E.A.R. However, like F.E.A.R., it hates entry hazards, but this team has no place for a spinner unfortunately. Therefore I have to use Blissey's Wish support in order to prevent it from becoming a redundant member. Protect is, again, for scouting the foe's attacks, while Sandstorm may prove helpful sometime. Finally, Toxic is there for a status when I need it.
Aron deals with a large number of threats and while this team would be very different without him, I do feel he doesn't deserve a spot here. Still, he does his job well, and without a ghost type or entry hazards, Aron can quite easily just sweep.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Calm: 212 HP/252 Def/44 SpD
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover
Gastrodon has held the team together in a number of tight situations. What he lacks in power, he makes up for in his impressive tanking abilities, two immunities and just one (rather uncommon) weakness. This one is just a basic tank set I took off Smogon. Still, he tanks a great number of pokemon, holds MixApe at bay (because Gliscor just doesn't like being Fire Blasted) and also checks dragons, to name just a few of the things he does for this team. Storm Drain keeps my opponent constantly on their toes, preventing Rain Dance teams form ripping through my team no problem. Toxic allows him to deal with some other threats, such as bulky waters, while Recover allows him to easily shrug off a great number of even boosted attacks. Without Gassy the Big Green Slug, this team would - and has - fall apart.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
-Protect
-Taunt
-Toxic
-Earthquake
If it can tank physical hits on this team, it's good enough for me. Standard Toxic heal Gliscor, thanks to its physical walling properties. Protect for stalling (what else?), and Earthquake for a decent STAB attack. The reason I use Taunt+Toxic > Fling+Acrobat is simple: 1) I want a reusable poisoning attack 2) If I Fling Toxic Orb, and Blissey Heal Bells, I'm not poisoned anymore 3) I wanted Taunt so I could restrict my opponent's attacks - and this change does it all. On a stall team like this, do I really want an AcroFling Gliscor? No. The EVs are a bit unthoughtful really, but they serve the purpose of walling physical hits nicely.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
-Wish
-Heal Bell
-Seismic Toss
-Protect
I don't care if Blissey's been demoted to UU (and I'm not all that sure if it has). To this day, it still remains the absolute greatest special wall of all time, and quite right too. It can pass Wishes, Heal Bell, Protect to stall/scout/activate Wish more easily, or Seismic Toss should I need it. The EVs are relatively straightforward, everything in defense. Done. Now it can tank the majority of mixed fighters as well. What more is there to say?

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Calm: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
-Psycho Shift
-Cosmic Power
-Roost
-Assist Power
Sigilyph is the reason this team exists. It's the inspiration, the thought behind the entire structure, everything this team works for in the end. Whenever there's an opening, I pounce, and if left unchecked, it becomes virtually unstoppable. Psycho Shift the burn from Flame Orb, Cosmic Power up (stalling sandstorm/burn damage as it does it), Roost off the damage, and Assist Power when you've got enough Cosmic Powers up. The EVs make him specially defensive as physical attacks are reduced drastically by the burn from Psycho shifting the Flame Orb. After six Cosmic Powers (which are quite easy to get up), Assist Power reaches insane power, 2HKOing most pokemon that resist it. This pokemon works well, there's no denying that, but it's how you follow it up that defines a team, yet this thing quite often doesn't need a back-up to it.

As always, any thoughts, comments and criticisms are appreciated!

Can I suggest you try a Leftovers Sigilyph with Whirlwind instead of Flame Shifting? I've found it vastly increases the amount of pokemon you can set up on, as CM users will try to set up alongside you only to be shuffled out at CM number 6. This does leave you open to Dark types, but if SR is up they have a choice between switching their Dark poke back into SR every turn or keeping the fresh target out and having it APd. Sigilyph is definitely my favourite Pokemon to play with right now and I personally think the Whirlwind set is his best.

On the other hand, Conkeldurr can be a pain with Stone Edge or Payback if you lose the ability to burn it. Still, give it a try, as it definitely fits utter frustration - people often forfeit as soon as I pull out the surprise Whirlwind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)