Team ZapPass

Zapdos is one of my favorite Pokemon ever, so, naturally, upon seeing it was very usable in OU, I went and made a team around its epic speed passing abilities. Now instead of boring you with mindless overview or bothering to show a progression of my favorite sprites, here’s the team.

Starmie@Choice Specs
Natural Cure
Timid: 216 Spa/252Spe/40 Def
-Psychic
-Surf
-Grass Knot
-Trick

Ah, the Specstarmie Lead. Thanks to Choice Specs, it can OHKO declared “bulky” leads like Swampert, Heatran, Hippowdon, and (the real reason to use this imo) Machamp, all of whom think they can stay in and set up rocks or Payback. Needless to say Surf can also hit pretty much anything for great damage. Trick steals Focus Sashes (against Aerodactyl, Azelf, Roserade). The speed difference from a Trickscarf lead to this isn’t really missed, since I almost never get Taunted, considering Lead Starmie typically only attacks and spins. The defensive EVs let me survive two Rock Slides from Aerodactyl, because that came into play once and I got pissed.

Gliscor@Leftovers
Sand Veil
Bold: 252Hp/40Def/216Spe
-Taunt
-Toxic
-Stealth Rock
-Roost

Where’s Earthquake? It came down with a bad case of moveslot syndrome and was booted from the team. Gliscor typically comes in on an electric or grass attack aimed at Starmie. Then it can set up rocks and start stalling his ass off. This thing beats so many things one on one it’s not even funny. Minimum attack means I take less confusion damage should I switch into a Dynamic Punch. It’s also acts as a very effective stallbreaker, since Blissey, Hippowdon, etc are incredibly Tauntable. My main problem with this set is that it means I can’t have a second Gliscor to play a more offensive role... more on that later.

Zapdos@Yache Berry
Pressure
Timid: 252Hp/124Def/44Spe/88Spa
-Thunderbolt
-Agility
-Roar
-Baton Pass

Zapdos is without a doubt, the best speed passer in the game. If I can switch into a steel type or bulky water, which Gliscor lures out quite nicely, I can set up as their Scizor/Skarmory/Gyarados/Tentacruelol cower in fear of Thunderbolt and/or being utterly walled. Roar helps me phaze out Hippowdon, Swampert, and Suicune before they can Roar me themselves (top of the -6 priority speed tier ftw), as well as scouting for switch-ins without taking SR damage in the long run. It also is a lifesaver should a Snorlax or something get set up. The speed EVs are for Breloom mostly, but let me outspeed Scarf Azelf/Starmie after an Agility, if I ever have to for some reason. The extra Spa is for 2HKOing Scizor, which probably helps more than more defense in the long run. Yache Berry helps keep me alive and eases prediction and the Gliscor -> Zapdos transfer. Now all I need is a team of sweepers that appreciate the speed boost and handle my biggest counters: Jolteon, Tyranitar, Blissey, pretty much everything immune to T-Bolt.

Breloom@Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Adamant: 252Att/236Hp/20 Spe
-Spore
-Swords Dance
-Seed Bomb (Stone Edge?)
-Mach Punch

Okay Breloom doesn’t exactly need the pass, but whatever. It never hurts ;). The goal here is to revenge kill something early with Mach Punch so my orb can activate, then absorb status later and Spore stuff. From there I can sleep stuff and Swords Dance on the switch. He is a fine switch-in to Tyranitar (even the common Scarf variant) and Blissey if my poison is already going, who I can then Spore into a sleep checkmate (set-up if she stays in, Spore more if she switches out). I suspect the 20 in Spe was added in after rage of a Starmie killing me even after I got my boost.

Electivire@Leftovers (Life Orb/Expert Belt/Muscle Band/Magnet?)
Motor Drive
Adamant: 36 Hp/252Att/212Spe/8SpD
-Thunderpunch
-Meditate
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch

Electivire is my clutch switch for Jolteon AND Blissey, since he can abuse Thunder Waves/Bolts aimed at Zapdos and then Earthquake or set-up, respectively. Leftovers is there so that, if I run into Blissey (when I run into Blissey), I can take 3 Seismic Tosses, which is another Meditate for me. Keep in mind I can 2HKO her nearly all the at +1 with Thunderpunch (by nearly, I mean 97%, 100 with a boosting item). The awkward defensive EVs allow me to switch into any non-Speced fire attack from Heatran + Stealth Rock and survive (this is my main hesitance with using Life Orb). Keep in mind Scarftran is always outsped, assuming I only got a +1 boost.

Note: a main issue I’ve found is my weakness to Rotom-A; if anyone can suggest a sweeper with 65+ base speed who can switch into Thunder Wave and threaten Blissey, Rotom-A, and Jolteon, it would be greatly appreciated. Preferably something that isn’t OHKOd by Scizor *cough*Hitmonlee*cough*. Sadly Gliscor can’t work his magic here, unless you have a better idea for that role too.

Empoleon@Petaya Berry
Torrent
Modest: 252Spa/232Spe/12Hp/12Def
-Surf
-Substitute
-Ice Beam (Grass Knot?
-Hidden Power Electric (More Grass Knot?)

It is no understatement that “Agility SubPetaya Empoleon Without Agility But With Its Benefits” is pretty freaking terrific. Plus he has great synergy with Zapdos and Electivire. This beast switches into Heatrans and Tyranitars and half the other stuff that Zappy lures and Subs up. If the EVs look off, it’s to get me Petaya boosted after three Subs, even with the 31 Hp IV for HP Electric. I am, clearly, having trouble with move selection. Before I Sub down to Torrent/Petaya boosts, Swampert has the distinction of walling BOTH of my main sweepers. Yuck. Assuming I don’t want to switch to Breloom and hope I can magically get another boost to Empoleon, Grass Knot is an option here. That wouldn’t really leave my team Gyarados weak, but I don’t want to rely on hitting it with Grass Knot. Also, that might over protect me from Swampy, hence the Stone Edge suggestion on Breloom. For the most part though, Swampert are surprise OHKOd by Starmie, so for now he remains Hidden Powering. I could just use both, but then I’m helpless versus Dragonite. Rambling done, I think its worth noting that I have managed to sweep teams (okay, team) WITHOUT an Agility boost, so I wouldn’t mark him down as completely dependent.

Threats (in particular order):

Rotom-A. This thing is bitch. Starmie can hit hard with Surf or Psychic and kinda cripple the defensive ones with Trick, but the ones already choiced themselves only laugh at that, and KO with either STAB. Gliscor can stall it with Toxic/Taunt/Roost, but hates eating Shadow Balls (SpD drop hax ftl). Zappy is helpless, Electivire gets burned, and Empoleon and Breloom can’t do much without set up.

Blissey. Trick cripples it sure, but it can wall Starmie, Zapdos, Empoleon, and Natural Cure out of Gliscor. Electivire dies in three Tosses unless I use an otherwise useless item (which I am...). Breloom sets up on it, but can’t get in on a T-Wave right away. Its cousin Snorlax is much more quickly brought down by my Surfs, plus there’s no threat of it Ice Beaming Gliscor.

Flygon. With a Scarf, it outspeeds +2 Empoleon, and +1 Electivire, which means it can end my sweeps effortlessly. Thank god I have three ground resists.

Comments, critique, and answers appreciated.

A Swords Dance boost or two really helps against Gliscor, Gengar, and Rotom-A. I also like the bit of safety net that having a Mach Puncher gives, since it helps against any Lucario or Empoleon that try to sweep me.

Maybe I'm missing something since I mostly lurk, but how would a +Atk/+Speed boost help in conjunction with your safety net that is a priority move (which wouldn't benefit from the +Speed), in comparison to Substitute, if not Focus Punch as well as Substitute?

By safety net I mean Mach Punch lets me kill Lucario even if he gets a Swords Dance up. I might have to sacrifice something in the process, but at least it can't sweep me.

Breloom isn't intended to be a frequent recipient. Keep in mind Focus Punch isn't a neutral priority attack either, so a speed pass doesn't really help the Focus Puncher any more than it does the Mach Puncher.

Also, on a Pokemon as slow as Breloom, a Mach Punch with +2 speed could be useful against enemy priority-ers like Mamoswine and Ambipom, but that will pretty much never come into play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)