Monotype Telekinesis - An Hyper Offense Psychic team

Hey Monotype, what's up! It's GoldenTorkoal with my first RMT about a team i've been using lately and having some success. Although Psychic's most successful playstyle seems to be Balanced, Hyper Offensive Psychic is a fun archetype to use and i've been able to get to mid-1500s in ladder without much difficulty, and i think the team could go even higher considering how it has performed all the times i've used it. Let´s have a look to this 'Telekinesis'.

- I started with Mega Alakazam because it's the more offensive mega Psychic had access too (i know Mega Medichan is available now, but it wasn't at the time i made the team). Mega Alakazam has an insane Special Attack, so it was a good point to start.
- Choice Scarf Victini was the next step, since Psychic needs this mon to deal with Bug, a very difficult matchup, which has a lot of threats Victini can take care of, like Mega Pinsir, Choice Scarf Heracross or Scizor.
- Next thing i needed for an HO team was a dedicated suicide lead. Deoxys-Speed covers this role really good, as it has access to Stealth Rock and Spikes, and Taunt to avoid opponent hazards, combined with its great Speed stat.
- Then i decided to add Mew for several reasons. Mew can learn 2 set up moves in Rock Polish and Nasty Plot, and combined with its unique Z crystal (Mewnium Z), makes this mon an amazing wincon for the team.
- Every Psychic team needs something to check Ghost moves, and i think the best for that is Meloetta, which thanks to its normal type it's inmune to Ghost moves. That asset plus its great Special Attack and Specs, makes it an important member for the team.
- For the last slot i needed something for problematic mons, specially scarfed Hydreigon and Mega Sableye, and Scarfed Gardevoir gave a team a way to deal with this threats.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazamite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Calm Mind

Mega Alakazam is pretty self explanatory. Its enormous Special Attack and Speed makes it a big threat for most teams, as it's one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier, being only outsped by some scarfers, and its SpA stat is 175 the highest in the meta. This speed helps Psychic a lot against Ghost and Dark teams, since the only way for those teams to be faster than Mega Zam are scarfers like Hydreigon or Gengar. Using Psychic, Ghost and Fighting moves provides Mega Zam an excellent coverage. Psychic is Psychic only STAB with 90 power which hits really hard most of the meta, except Psychic, Steel and Dark. Psychic is the move you're usually going to click most of the times, unless you're facing the 3 types i've just mentioned. Shadow Ball is the first coverage move chosen since Ghost is one of the weaknesses Psychic has, and is the move to click against ghost mons Jellicent, Gourgeist or Mega Sableye. The third move gives Mega Zam an excellent coverage, as Focus Blast hits effectively the only type that resist both Psychic and Ghost moves: Dark. Everybody knows how unreliable Focus Blast is (70 % accuracy), but it is the only way Psychic has to hit dark types not named Mega Sableye in the Special side. The last move is up to personal preference. I found Calm Mind useful when Mega Zam was in front of a pokemon that hits with special moves, which provided an opportunity to boost both Special Attack and Special Defense before the opponent hits it, take the hit and destroy the opposing team. Other moves that can be used in this last slot are Encore, Substitute or HP Fire (to have another way to deal with Scizor aside from Victini). Magic Guard is the chosen ability before mega evolving to be inmune to indirect damage (status or hazards), and Trace helps a lot against Sand and Swift Swim teams.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
V-create
Blue Flare
Bolt Strike
U-turn

Victini is a must for every Psychic team, Hyper Offensive or Balance, since it's a nice check for Bug teams with its Fire STABs and Choice Scarf. Victini is the only physical mon of the team, so its role is key for the team to perform satisfactorily in most matchups. V-create is the move to click 80 % of the times, since it's a STAB with 180 power, that never misses thanks to Victory Star. The problem of this move is that every time it's used it lower both defenses and speed, which isn't really a big deal because Victini is used as a revenge killer. Appart from making matchup against Bug less difficult, Victini also helps with one of the biggest threats for Psychic teams: Steel teams. Victini can hit effectively the common members of a steel team, except Heatran, so the team avoids to rely on hitting Focus Blast and gives it a way to hit effectively Steel pokemon that are neutral to Fighting (Skarmory, Celesteela). Blue Flare is the second move chosen because it's an alternative to V-create so the team doesn't lose momentum. This move also helps when Victini is the last mon alive against a Bug team, and you need it to sweep 2 or 3 mons, which won't be possible with V-create's secondary effects. Bolt Strike is a coverage move to hit mainly water types like Pelipper, Mantine, Slowbro or Toxapex, and Flying teams. U-turn is chosen to keep momentum when the opponent is switching to its fire resistance. Victini also eases battles against Grass teams, although it's not a common or top type in the meta.

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Taunt
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Knock Off

After choosing the core i wanted to build around (Mega Alakazam+Victini), i feel like the team needed a dedicated suicide lead to set hazards and avoid opposing hazards. Deoxys-Speed was the chosen mon to cover this role as it can learn Stealth Rock and Spikes, which gives the team hazard stack and helps the other members to get OHKOs and 2OHKOs. Another move that makes Deoxys-Speed an even better suicide lead is Taunt, which combined with its 180 Spe stat, avoids hazards from opposing teams. The last move is Knock Off which has the utility of removing opposing items like choice scarf in Hydreigon or Assault Vest in Muk, and those are never bad news.

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Nasty Plot
Rock Polish
Psychic
Focus Blast

Mew is a very versatile pokemon due to its stats, and although it's mostly used as hazard controller, that's not the best Mew set for an Hyper Offensive team. With the addition of Z moves this gen, having one of them in a team is a great opportunity since it helps you OHKOing mons you wouldn't normally OHKO. That's why i decided to go Z Mew. Genesis Supernova (Psychic+Mewnium Z) with its 185 power gives Mew the most powerful move of the team, and it also sets up Psychic Terrain. That secondary effect of the Z move boosts Pyschic moves by 50 %, which has a devastating effect in most of the opposing teams. With Rock Polish, Mew is able to be faster that most of the mons of the meta and the most used scarfers, and Nasty Plot boosts Mew's SpA to hit even harder. It also has a good bulk that eases the set up process. +2 SpA Mew under Psychic Terrain is almost unstoppable, being Mega Sableye the only one that walls it. Focus Blast is the coverage move chosen to hit the 2 types that resist Psychic STAB: Dark and Steel. Another amazing effect of terrain is that prevents the team being hit by priority moves, which is one of the ways of dealing with Hyper Offensive teams. The boosts and the terrain helps mew to break opposing teams' defensive cores or cleaning in late game.

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
Psyshock
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Trick
After the other 4 pokemon mentioned above, the team needed a check for Ghost moves, and Meloetta is the best answer for that. I chose Choice Specs because that item combined with Meloetta's good SpA helps the team breaking balanced teams. Psyshock is the STAB move chosen to hit more oriented special walls like Chansey, although it has less power than Psychic. Focus Blast is a coverage move to hit Steel and Dark (and even Rock, although it's not a top type or a threat), which are 2 biggest threats for Pyschic teams as i've said above. Shadow Ball is the other coverage move, to hit opposing Ghost mons effectively. Trick was chosen for the last slot to cripple defensive pokemon that can switch in to take hits from Meloetta. Meloetta also has 128 SpD stat which makes it able to take some special hits.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
Moonblast
Psyshock
Focus Blast
Healing Wish

Gardevoir was selected as the last member of the team, since the team lacked an effective way to deal with threats like scarfed Hydreigon and Mega Sableye. Fairy STAB in Moonblast provides a good way to hit dark types effectively, and avoid relying in Focus Blast every time you play against Dark. Gardevoir's decent SpD makes it capable of taking some hits by the special side. Psyshock is the other STAB, which Gardevoir uses to deal with specially defensive oriented pokemon. Focus Blast is also in Gardy's moveset for Steel types (and Rock). Last slot is for Healing Wish, to give another member of the team another opportunity to sweep.

This team has not only give me a good win rate but also a lot of moments of fun. Offense has always been my favourite playstyle, and this team is one of my favourites to use. I've put a lot of work on this team and i'm really happy with the results. Hope you enjoyed this RMT.

- Scolipede is a big problem for this team, since it has access to moves that can hit effectively all the team: Megahorn for Mega Zam, Meloetta, Mew and Deoxys-Speed, Poison Jab for Gardevoir and Earthquake for Victini. This monster also has Speed Boost, so you can't check it with scarfers.
- Golisopod is another problem for the team. Although it's not very common, it's really scary to see in the opposing team, because it has access to 2 priority moves that hit Pyschic effectively: First Impression and Sucker Punch. Its good Def and its Water type doesn't allow Victini to OHKO this thing.
- Muk-Alola is another trouble for Psychic teams, that can only rely on status and wearing it down to beat it. Knock Off STAB plus its good SpD makes it an scary mon to deal with.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Blue Flare
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Knock Off

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Rock Polish
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Moosical for making the banner and the titles of this RMT. They're so cool!
stat1c for all the help with other teams, specially Bug, which has made me a better player. Fear the VenoGod!
Vid for explaining me the ways to build with Psychic, its relevant mons and the playstyles.

Last edited:
How well does it play around a steel team using mega-scizor? I've never really been happy with chipping heatran with bolt strike, and if you use u-turn on scizor switching out too much I always feel like you end up training the opponent to get aggressive...

How well does it play around a steel team using mega-scizor? I've never really been happy with chipping heatran with bolt strike, and if you use u-turn on scizor switching out too much I always feel like you end up training the opponent to get aggressive...
I mean, that's like saying how does Ice play around Mega Scizor. It's a difficult mon to deal with, whatever you do. Psychic only has Victini to deal with it, so don't know what do you mean.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hey GoldenTorkoal, really cool team. I have a minor tweak to make.

Modest > Timid & Substitute > Calm Mind
I would change Alakazam to a modest nature because there really is no need to run 438 speed, as the closest relevant thing in monotype, Tapu Koko only reaches 394 speed. This allows Mega Alakazam to help clean or break down opposing teams much better. Also while i understand the appeal of running Terrain and CM to boost Psychic type attacks to crazy levels the truth is Mega Alakazam can't setup very easily and prefers a move such as substitute much more. Substitute for example can be abused when Mega Alakazam forces a switch allowing you to grab momentum or against Fairy when you mega evolve against Klefki and trace Prankster you can use substitute without fear of being paralyzed by thunder wave and pick up alot of momentum there.

The team otherwise looks very nice, great job!!!

Just curious, why Gardevoir and not Tapu Lele?

For this role your Gardevoir and Tapu Lele can perform almost the exact same job except Lele is superior in terms of stats, both offensively, defensively and speed.

Lele can also set up Psychic Terrain immediately so you don't have to solely rely on Genesis Supernova from Mew, you can have both so it is more available

Hey GoldenTorkoal, really cool team. I have a minor tweak to make.

Modest > Timid & Substitute > Calm Mind
I would change Alakazam to a modest nature because there really is no need to run 438 speed, as the closest relevant thing in monotype, Tapu Koko only reaches 394 speed. This allows Mega Alakazam to help clean or break down opposing teams much better. Also while i understand the appeal of running Terrain and CM to boost Psychic type attacks to crazy levels the truth is Mega Alakazam can't setup very easily and prefers a move such as substitute much more. Substitute for example can be abused when Mega Alakazam forces a switch allowing you to grab momentum or against Fairy when you mega evolve against Klefki and trace Prankster you can use substitute without fear of being paralyzed by thunder wave and pick up alot of momentum there.

The team otherwise looks very nice, great job!!!
Hey The Excadrill thanks for the suggestions!! I'll definetely try them to see the improvement. I'm glad you liked the team.

Just curious, why Gardevoir and not Tapu Lele?

For this role your Gardevoir and Tapu Lele can perform almost the exact same job except Lele is superior in terms of stats, both offensively, defensively and speed.

Lele can also set up Psychic Terrain immediately so you don't have to solely rely on Genesis Supernova from Mew, you can have both so it is more available
Tapu Lele is banned from Monotype.

twinkay

tu solo me quieres en tu imaginacion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nice job, great team!

Now that M-Medi is released, you might want to consider running that on your team, as it's very good on Psychic and would be extremely helpful in breaking Muk-A / Pex /Venu for your team. Honestly I would replace Scarf Garde with this and make Zam SashCounter, which effectively takes care of Scolipede. I'm not a big fan of double Scarf anyway but I understand it helps with a lot of troubling Pokemon. Medi also makes Steel much easier to beat.

Also Dual Screens Deo-S might be beneficial to your team, effectively allowing Mew to set up early and then cleaning with Tini , M-Medi and Meloetta. I get that hazards are great and whatnot but nothing on your team is really preventing a Spin / Defog except maybe Victini and even then Defoggers can hard switch into a Ground / Elec resist. You still have the same problem with Defoggers ig but typed that rely on Spin like Fire or Bug are able to be pressured much more. It's kinda a toss up in my opinion but still worth considering.

Sorry no fancy sprites or w/e bc I'm on mobile but hope you enjoy or at least try out these changes!

Nice job, great team!

Now that M-Medi is released, you might want to consider running that on your team, as it's very good on Psychic and would be extremely helpful in breaking Muk-A / Pex /Venu for your team. Honestly I would replace Scarf Garde with this and make Zam SashCounter, which effectively takes care of Scolipede. I'm not a big fan of double Scarf anyway but I understand it helps with a lot of troubling Pokemon. Medi also makes Steel much easier to beat.

Also Dual Screens Deo-S might be beneficial to your team, effectively allowing Mew to set up early and then cleaning with Tini , M-Medi and Meloetta. I get that hazards are great and whatnot but nothing on your team is really preventing a Spin / Defog except maybe Victini and even then Defoggers can hard switch into a Ground / Elec resist. You still have the same problem with Defoggers ig but typed that rely on Spin like Fire or Bug are able to be pressured much more. It's kinda a toss up in my opinion but still worth considering.

Sorry no fancy sprites or w/e bc I'm on mobile but hope you enjoy or at least try out these changes!
I agree KittenGaming . This team was made before Mega Medi, and i also think Psychic Hyper Offense best mega is Mega Medi. I'll try to make a team with it, as you said: Alakazam, Victini, Mew, Mega Medi, Deoxys-S and Meloetta. In my opinion running dual screens or double hazards is up to personal preference; sometimes screens are more useful and other times hazards are the more helpful option. Don't worry about the sprites. Thanks for your suggestions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)