ORAS Ubers Tentacles too Good <3 (Peaked above 1700, top 17.)

Sup, Im Jhonx, a EG Team member and an experienced player of the tier, about me im playing this game since BW, but im playing this tier when XY got released,well enough about me, lets go with the team.

TENTACLES TOO GOOD

Team Building Process

The main idea of this team was use Tentacruel (the title says it lol) so i picked Tentacruel and think what does it, also it needs support from a wall.

That make me choice Arceus Ground as a partner
Why Arceus Ground? i need a Groudon Switch in, and a Ho Oh switch in, so this was perfect, also its helpul stalling, because toxic spikes + this wall using rcover and judgment are problems for the opponent, this can be a defoger if u think Rapid Spin Tentacruel sucks

Skarmory here because is good agaisnt ekiller, salamence mega, and help me with spikes, its a solid Pokemon on this build too, because it walls most of the metagame and threatening stuff.

Primal Groudon (didnt found primal sprite), is need on every team, the metagame is centralized around it, its the stealth rocks user, checks Xerneas, Ho-Oh, Steel Types, and more.

I needed a Mega and Gengar was the best option, because it have hex, destiny bond, and have a nice speed with a nice offensive stat.

I need a Dark type check, Xerneas is bulky for that job and good offensive.

Team

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

This is the set that I've chosen, because Haze removes the buffs given from anything, its mainly for geomancy. (Nicely done, f WFUU's Xerneas.) Tentacruel's job within the team is to set up toxic spikes, be a switch in to Arceus-Water, Lugia, Blissey, Xerneas, and other pokemon. Toxic is just Toxic, nuff' said. Rapid Spin helps the team out as it removes the annoying entry hazards that chip away at their health.

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam / Defog [Impish Nature without Ice Beam]
- Judgment
- Recover
- Stone Edge / Defog

Arceus-Ground is my check for Salamence, Ho-oh and Primal Groudon, this set even stops double dancer Primal Groudon. Arceus-Ground can be used with or without defog, as you may think Tentacruel isn't a good enough rapid spinner. The spread is to outspeed 90 base speed pokemons., remaining evs on bulk, Ice Beam OHKO Mega Salamence, also Stone Edge OHKO Ho-Oh with a timid nature.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Whirlwind

Skarmory is here to switch into Arceus, and Mega-Salamence, as they both run contact moves which hurt them as Skarmory has Rocky Helmet, which if you don't know, damages the opponents if they use a contact move on the holder.
Skarmory adds even more to set up, with it's layers of spikes, it can whirlwind opponents to forcibly make them take damage.
Toxic and Roost are there because its a great stall combo, it also compliments Gengar-mega as it runs Hex.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide

Primal-Groudon is here to set up stealth rocks, Precipice Blades hits hard, Rock Slide hits anything that Precipice Blades couldn't hit, and thunder wave helps out since Primal-Groudon is so slow, and helps to take out Mewtwo, one of the biggest threats to the team. Thunder wave also helps out Mega-Gengar as it runs Hex and its a good move to support the team.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Protect
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond

This set is outrageous. Substitute is helpful against crippling status effects against Mega-Gengar, such as thunder wave. since Mega-Gengar takes away the aspect of switching, substitute is amazing here as it makes the toxic death-clock go faster, same with protect. Hex is just a "duh" since you're running toxic spikes. Destiny Bond is there to take out threats to the team.

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk

Scarf Xerneas takes out many things, such as Deoxys-Attack, Yveltal, Mewtwo-X, etc, but since this team has a problem with Darkrai, I chose to go with sleep talk Xerneas to take it out quickly, only moonblast as, if you're running 2 other moves, you have a chance Xerneas not attacking with moonblast.

With this the team is done, here is the threat list:

Mewtwo Y Calm Mind its a 6-0.
Thats all i ve found playing at the moment.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Judgment
- Recover
- Stone Edge / Defog

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Whirlwind

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Protect
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
-

Sorry if my English is bad, I tried to do my best trying to explain, and hope u understand it, at the moment i dont have replays because on the ladder i find noobs and vs good players, they dont want replay (for dont be cteamed).

Shoutouts to:
Unoko for help me with my bad grammar and my bad english.
Hope u enjoy this rmt!

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi Johnx~ I'm not a huge fan of Tentacruel, but I think you've started to figure out how people use it in this meta. You mentioned that the team is Mewtwo weak, which it kinda is, but I haven't seen a single Tenta + M Gar build be able to fully circumvent this in ORAS. Another Pokemon is see this team potentially struggling against is Primal-Kyogre. You're pretty much forced to try and trade against it via M Gar which can potentially lead to some annoying play against offensive sets with T Wave or defensive Rest + CM sets. I can also see the squad having some problems against other niche offensive mons as well.

First thing I'm going to suggest as a change, and something I know you'll get from other people is that you should change your Arceus-Ground set to SD. The team is already semi-Ho-Oh weak due to having 2 mons it likes to come in on, yet Arceus-Ground without Stone Edge is something that will be giving Ho-Oh even more free opportunities. Special Defog Arceus-Ground with SE is just awkward and this team can do much better; just run SD Recover Arceus-Ground. For overall structure you have the option of consolidating your Fairy / Steel / Spiker to Klefki, which also substitutes the Rai check after something has been slept and you open up a slot to try and glue over whatever remaining problems you might have. This does have the unfortunate side effect of increasing the number of Ground weaknesses the team has, and the last mon will have to try and accommodate this. Something you could potentially do is run Giratina-O since you need to cover EKiller after trading Skarm for Klefki. A squad like this doesn't really need Defog, but Gira-O can allow you to run this if you really want it for some reason. It also has the potential for making this squad double Hex, but I worry about Darkrai because the only Pokemon that you have that is faster than it can only potentially trade via Destiny Bond. This can be fixed by running Focus Blast over Sub, which also means you might not have to sack M Gar against EKiller.

If you absolutely want to keep the support Arc I think you're forced to run Arceus-Water. Since you don't need Defog you can run Beam + Judgment which leaves you in a far better position against Ho-Oh than running Arceus-Dragon or what you currently have. I feel Arceus-Dragon itself in the event you wanted Defog opens this team far to much against Klefki, Xern, and Mega-Diancie sun. Your Primal Groudon may want Roar for Xern + hazard purposes. You also want Scald over Haze on Tentacruel so you can actually touch (and potentially burn) Steel-types.

gl with the team.

hey man, nice build :] since you've been telling me how good Tentacruel, I'll drop some thoughts-
I agree with the change to SD Groundceus and running Scald on Tentacruel to actually hit Magic Bouncers, in particular Sableye is looking like a big problem. This doesn't completely solve the team's lack of offensive pressure but it's a start. scarf Xern looks a bit out of place, but since you have nothing for rai otherwise I guess you can make it work. You could also opt to run Lava Plume over Rock Slide on Groudon, this does a better job breaking stall but makes you slightly more vulnerable to the lati twins, as well as Ho-oh. One thing I would definitely opt for would be to replace Mega Gengar with facade Mega Mence. This gives you an additional ground immunity, which allows you to potentially (as mentioned above) run Klefki to better deal with Yveltal, which at present gets a kill every time if it's offensive, as well as dark spam in general. This additionally gives you a way to check Ho-oh, without fearing the burn.

However, this approach does make you significantly weaker to ekiller. Running sd ghostceus over groundceus could be considered at the cost of losing the ability to OHKO Ho-oh while preserving a ghost-type, which I'm not sure is worth it but it could work out. One way to balance these two could be to run offensive SD Primal Groudon and rocks arceus, this is more rare but can still outspeed and OHKO Ho-oh once you hit a certain speed benchmark aside from the occasional max speed Jolly.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Facade
- Roost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)