Monotype Terrakion's Troopers

What's the first thing you think of when you think of the Fighting type? I mean besides the least-viable type in Mono right now (though that may soon change). Well, when I think fighting, I think physical attackers. Mons who like to get up close and personal. Which is usually a cue to switch into your physically defensive wall and absorb their hits.

With this in mind, Terrakion has sought out five Pokémon who would be able to hit from both the special and physical side. Though they have been through many struggles (and member changes), they are slowly coming upon a composition that will work. They are known as:

Terrakion's Troopers

Isabelle (Hawlucha) (F) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Flying Press

Let's start with something standard. Isabelle's strategy is nothing new. She sets up Substitutes, bringing herself to the point where she will consume her Figy Berry. From there, she outpaces and decimates the opponent with her Acrobatics and Flying Press. Why Flying Press? Three reasons. One, I heard it got a buff in Gen 7, and I wanted to test it out (it's been working quite well so far). Two, High Jump Kick can be a tad risky, especially since the Figy Berry isn't triggered at the same time the Sitrus Berry is. Three, I like signature moves. Judge me.

Ice Gym Shaolin (Medicham-Mega) (M) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Now that Medichamite has made it to Alola, the Ice Gym Shaolin has risen from his home in Sinnoh to join Terrakion's cause (seriously, why did the Ice Gym Leader have a Medicham?). This fellow has trained long and hard, utilizing only the most powerful of techniques. The fey folk (particularly Mimikyu) dread the Monkey Steals the Peach (Bullet Punch), while Flying types will contend with his Southern Fist (Ice Punch). However, he will have to be careful when using the Shadowless Kick (High Jump Kick), lest the opponent counters with Horse Drinking Water (Protect, switching to a Ghost type, getting lucky, etc.).

Now, I understand that there are some concerns of Mega Medicham making Psychic unbalanced, so as this mon has been working wonders for my team, he might need a replacement. I've been running an Assault Vest Gallade before Medichamite's release, and that was, okay. But I'm open to other suggestions.

Bob Marley (Kommo-o) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Autotomize
- Clanging Scales
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

C'mon. Didn't you think this guy looked like Bob Marley when you first saw him in the trailers? No? Just me? Okay.

Anyway, anyone who has rated my teams before knows that I have some, personal problems with Life Orb attackers. They're meant to be wallbreakers, sure, but thanks to recoil, they don't have much survivability. A dedicated wall can tank their attacks and whittle them down, putting them in easy range for the next mon to revenge kill them.

Luckily, Bob Marley has a way around that. Once he sets up an Autotomize (or two, if he happens to be paralyzed), nothing outside of priority, Scarf users, or Surge Surfing Alolan Raichu will be able to touch him. He can dish out as much damage as he wants with very little fear of being revenge killed. Even Fairies don't frighten him as long as he has his Flash Cannon ready, and all else will fall to his Focus Blast or Clanging Scales.

Looker (Toxicroak) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse

Looker represents another exception I have to Life Orb. Life Orb attackers are on a timer, so they appreciate the option of putting a few more seconds on the clock. Enter Looker with his Dry Skin ability. Is the the most reliable form of recovery? Not really. But it's better than I can say for most Life Orb attackers out there who don't even bother.

As a Special attacker, Looker's strategy is usually to come in on a predicted Water attack and set up a Nasty Plot. From there, he's free to tackle his foes as he sees fit. Vacuum Wave offers him a handy form of priority, while Sludge Wave washes most Fairies away. Dark Pulse is a handy move for any Ghost and Psychic types who might have the bright idea of trying to wall his STAB.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

Of course, Terrakion's Troopers wouldn't be complete without the Sword of Justice itself. Terrakion's Choice Band allows it to his its foes hard, and EdgeQuake coverage is always desirable. Its Sacred Sword may not be as powerful as Close Combat, but on the flip side, it won't have to worry about defense drops and possibly getting OHKOed by a Bullet Punch. X-Scissor is really just a filler move for any Psychic or Grass types. I know some people run Iron Head, but really, is there any Fairy that walls EdgeQuake? They all take neutral damage, at least. And from a Choice Band, it has to hurt.

Monkey (Infernape) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Vacuum Wave
- Overheat
- Taunt

Many foes learn the hard way that you don't mess with the Monkey. She's usually the one who goes out first, ready to set the stage for the rest of the team. Against opposing hazard setters, a well-placed Taunt stops them in their tracks. She can then take the opportunity to set up her own Rocks. Overheat provides for an excellent nuke against most pesky insects, and Vacuum Wave gives her priority over any foes who might somehow be faster.

Now, I know my EV spread choices are just baiting Trick Room teams to tear me apart, but seeing as they're not all that common, I haven't had much difficulty. My main concern right now is if Medichamite is banned from Monotype, who could possibly take Mega Medicham's place? I know Marshadow has been announced, but that's not the same thing as being released, know what I mean?

Oh, and here are some replays of Terrakion's Troopers in action:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-559078165 Vs. Psychic

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-559474613 A very close match against Dark

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-516749771 An earlier iteration of the team Vs. Ghost (Toxicroak Sweep)

Last edited:
K i'll try and make this brief

1. Fake Out > Ice Punch on Mega-Medicham, so that you're able to chip / ko frailer offensive threats such as Alolan Raichu while stalling turns of Sand, Rain, Electric Terrain, etc.

2. Cobalion > Toxicroak so you a better blanket defensive check to boosting threats, handy psychic / flying / fairy neutrality, and a pivot all in one. This would free infernape's set and teamslot. A sample set for Cobalion could be...

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry / Chople Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Volt Switch / Thunder Wave

3. There are a lot of issues with your Hawlucha set:
  • Sitrus Berry > Figy Berry, there's really no benefit to Figy since when activated (with sub) you'll end up the same health as you do with sitrus, at 75%.
  • High Jump Kick > Flying Press as well, there is also no reason to ever use Flying Press as unfortunately rather than having the best of both Flying and Fighting coverage it ends up with the worst of both worlds. High Jump Kick is many leagues stronger and there's no good reason not to use it.
  • 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe Jolly > your spread, finally, as you don't have the proper HP value to make use of Substitute efficiently to activate unburden. Hawlucha also can't afford to give up it's speed tier in this offensive meta.
With all these changes your set should look something like this:

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

4. Keldeo > Kommo-O: you need Keldeo. There's no way around it on Fighting, it's the best special attacker the type has available. You can drop either Toxicroak (who really doesn't help much with Fairy anyways beyond checking Azumarill) or Kommo-O to fit it on a specs Keldeo set.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

5. Scarf > Choice Band on Terrakion, since you already have Mega-Medicham as the tier's strongest wallbreaker and your team is in desperate need of speed control to avoid being broomed by countless offensive threats such as Tapu Koko, Charizard-Mega X, Salamence, Shift Gear Magearna, etc. A sample set for Scarf Terrakion would look like this.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Iron Head / X-Scissor

Now this leaves you with a stray Infernape teamslot to customize, as it's lead duties are taken over by Cobalion. I'd reccomend either fitting on some more speed control or a bulky offensive check to threats such as Buzzwole. Some options I think might suit your team well include...
  • Choice Band Infernape
  • Choice Scarf Heracross
  • Choice Band Buzzwole
The sets can be found here
Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie / Guts
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Buzzwole @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Leech Life
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch
- Superpower / Ice Punch

---

With all these edits your team could look something like this
Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
- Taunt

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Also I'd recommend including an importable for the teams you post so that it's easier to import and use for the people you're sharing it with.

Last edited:
Well, thing is, if I use three of the Swords of Justice on one team, then it's gonna feel weird without the fourth one. I understand that Virizion isn't exactly the most viable Sword of Justice out there, but it's just how I roll. It's the same reason why I completely overhauled my Fairy team when Tapu Lele was banned.

Also, there is still the issue of Medichamite. If it does end up being banned from Monotype for making Psychic unbalanced, what would be a good replacement?

Well, thing is, if I use three of the Swords of Justice on one team, then it's gonna feel weird without the fourth one. I understand that Virizion isn't exactly the most viable Sword of Justice out there, but it's just how I roll. It's the same reason why I completely overhauled my Fairy team when Tapu Lele was banned.

Also, there is still the issue of Medichamite. If it does end up being banned from Monotype for making Psychic unbalanced, what would be a good replacement?
There is no replacement.

And if you're going to make teams with arbitrary teambuilding restrictions then make them clear in the OP so people don't waste their time making rates that conflict with them.

There is no replacement.

And if you're going to make teams with arbitrary teambuilding restrictions then make them clear in the OP so people don't waste their time making rates that conflict with them.
That's fair. That's, more than fair, actually.

How about this? While three of the Swords of Justice tackle the more competitive threats, Viriziion vows to form its own team to contend with lesser-known opponents (Mono UU). That way, I can make proper use of your recommendations, and it makes sense to me why Virizion isn't there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)