VGC That One Random VGC Team

So, I'm bored right now, so I'm trying out a random VGC team I put together. I tested it out a few times, and I definitely think something needs to be switched out or replaced, but I'm not sure what or with what it should be replaced. This RMT is going to be a bit more lazy than most of my others, but I'm trying to get this as quickly out there as possible so I can get feedback and start breeding as quickly as possible. So, here goes nothing:

Pelipper (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn

Metagross @ Air Balloon
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Protect

Muk-Alola (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Power of Alchemy
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech
- Brick Break

Araquanid @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Lunge

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn

For this team, I wanted to try out some sort of Rain-based stuff, as that was the first competitive playstyle that has intrigued me when I first started doing competitive stuff. Focus Sash ensures that Pelipper survives something, so that it can safely U-turn out if it sees the need to come in later and set up rain again. As such, its EVs are tailored toward offense, and the Timid Nature ensures it can move as soon as possible.

Metagross @ Air Balloon
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

I've always liked Metagross as a Pokémon, and it seems to synergize well with the rain removing one of its weaknesses. As the elemental punches and Iron Head are thus far unavailable for VGC, I decided to go with Metagross's two main STAB moves in Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt, and Earthquake as a spread move to hit opposing Ground- and Fire-types. I am hesitant to use Bullet Punch, as the prevalence of Tapu Lele will negate its use against grounded Pokémon. As Mega Stones are not allowed either, I went with a bulky variant with Air Balloon to remove from it yet another weakness.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Protect

Tapu Koko is meant to not only be a fast and powerful threat that can abuse Thunder in the rain, but also a countermeasure to opposing terrains that could impede on my team's plan. As my IVs are very unpredictable for an in-game encounter, I decided to go with the seemingly standard options of Thunder, Dazzling Gleam, and Grass Knot. A Timid Nature ensures it can outspeed everything it possibly can, as its Electric Surge and Life Orb give a sufficient power boost to Thunder on their own.

Muk-Alola @ Black Sludge
Ability: Power of Alchemy
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

Muk is an odd Pokémon that I really want to try out, especially for its hidden ability. Knock Off and Poison Jab are great STAB moves that offer good utility with their effects, and Shadow Sneak is a last-ditch effort to get some finishing damage off should there not be any Psychic Terrain up. Power of Alchemy doesn't really mind picking anything up, as it could benefit from an extra terrain or rain setup should it get removed, and Clear Body and Water Bubble (below) are useful to prevent some Intimidate or Burn tricks that the opponent may have.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech
- Brick Break

Tapu Bulu is another terrain changer on my team, just in case an opponent has an Electric Terrain that proves to be too threatening. This set is the same as my Bulk Up/Leech Seed set that I use in OU, with the Bulk Up removed for Protect. The EVs are thus unchanged from the OU set, but idk what the proper spread would be for VGC. Leech Seed provides passive recovery and damage simultaneously, Horn Leech provides active recovery and damage, and Brick Break provides some form of coverage against the likes of Celesteela and such.

Araquanid @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Lunge

Finally, we come to Araquanid, the wonderful diving bell spider I've longed to use on a team. As most of my other item options have been exhausted, I decided to go with an Assault Vest on this one, foregoing protect for a Lunge that is able to hinder opposing physical attackers. Its other three attacks are rather standard in terms of power, utility, and coverage, and the Assault Vest allows it to take special hits all day long. I've also been considering using Waterium Z for a powerful Water Bubble-boosted Liquidation, and thus putting Protect back in its moveset.

So, that's my team. Nothing much, but it's still something. Let me know below how badly I screwed up making this, and what I should change before I go out and spend time breeding it.

A few quick things I noticed:

- You have rain and the option of Grassy Terrain. Grassy Terrain weakens EQ's. I don't know the exact spreads you need, but you could easily live some EQs if you managed your terrain options. You may not need Air Balloon if you play the team right. Metagross could extremely benefit from a Choice Band.

- Koko while powerful, seems very negative to this team in general. Neither Pelipper nor Araquanid would love to take an Opposing Thunder in Electric Terrain. I'd recommend Lele in this slot. Psychic Terrain could boost your Metagross' Zen Headbutt output.

- If you do go with Psychic Terrain, I would remove Shadow Sneak from Muk and add Curse (for TR, or HO)

- Another Option for the Koko slot would be a Swift Swim user. Poliwrath and Golduck seem to be good choices in the current Meta.

- Power of Alchemy seems more of a niche pick for Muk, imho. I'd recommend Gluttony w/ Figy Berry. Or Poison Touch with Black Sludge/Sitrus. This allows Staying Power, and Muk's only weakness is Ground which beside Grassy Terrain isn't too powerful with Muk's natural bulk.

- If you don't need priority option, Muk would love to have curse over Shadow Sneak.

Compliments to the Araquanid set. I'd imagine an Assault Vest, Water Bubble, Araquanid switch into an Arcanine's Flamethrower under rain would do under 5%.

That's all I can think of at this moment of time, It's late and I'm tired, lol.

A few quick things I noticed:

- You have rain and the option of Grassy Terrain. Grassy Terrain weakens EQ's. I don't know the exact spreads you need, but you could easily live some EQs if you managed your terrain options. You may not need Air Balloon if you play the team right. Metagross could extremely benefit from a Choice Band. Yeah, I've been changing this team around as I've tested it more, and I have found Choice Band to be the better option.

- Koko while powerful, seems very negative to this team in general. Neither Pelipper nor Araquanid would love to take an Opposing Thunder in Electric Terrain. I'd recommend Lele in this slot. Psychic Terrain could boost your Metagross' Zen Headbutt output. I don't really see too many opposing Pokémon use Electric-type attacks except for Koko, which brings its own Electric Terrain anyway. If I do see an Electric-type threat like Koko or Magnezone, I can put Bulu on my team to remove any Electric Terrain that I or my opponent may set. Pelipper dies even without ET anyway. I will try out Lele, though, and see how it goes.

- If you do go with Psychic Terrain, I would remove Shadow Sneak from Muk and add Curse (for TR, or HO) Shadow Sneak does secure clutch KOs on weakened 'mons, so I wouldn't want to get rid of it just yet. Curse does sound intriguing though.

- Another Option for the Koko slot would be a Swift Swim user. Poliwrath and Golduck seem to be good choices in the current Meta. I've seen them around, and have wanted to try them out for myself. I do prefer having multiple Terrain options, though, so I'll see how it goes.

- Power of Alchemy seems more of a niche pick for Muk, imho. I'd recommend Gluttony w/ Figy Berry. Or Poison Touch with Black Sludge/Sitrus. This allows Staying Power, and Muk's only weakness is Ground which beside Grassy Terrain isn't too powerful with Muk's natural bulk. With the changes I've made thus far, I have been using the FiGlutton set with better results.

- If you don't need priority option, Muk would love to have curse over Shadow Sneak. Curse is an interesting option. Shadow Sneak seems to provide more utility, but I'll still try it out!

Compliments to the Araquanid set. I'd imagine an Assault Vest, Water Bubble, Araquanid switch into an Arcanine's Flamethrower under rain would do under 5%. Assault Vest da best

That's all I can think of at this moment of time, It's late and I'm tired, lol. No problem at all. Thanks for your feedback!
Comments in bold.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)