The 200 climb (gen 5 stall)

Yes!!! I am now have 1207 rating on the standard OU ladder, only 200 away from being able to vote on the suspects, and I'm in the top 200 in the smogon server! Now I take a break and post this RMT to see how I can make it to 1400. I know I posted another stall RMT 11 days ago, but this team undergoed 3 major changes, all of which made my team better, and anyways, I need to post this RMT to get to the 1400 mark. So, here it is:
Team at a Glance

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
This guy sets up rocks and roars away opponents. The moveset is obvious, but this guy's role is amazing! First of all, its my phsical tank and can roar away +2 Garchomp, or +4 burnt Garchomp, in that case. It is also one of my dory counters, but I prefer to use many other pokes in my team that can counter it. This guy is my MVP #1, and it's very important to keep it at a good enough health to phase out boosts.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Recover
MVP # 2. This gal is my special tank, as it can calm mind with Rankuresu, Birijiron, and other CMers like Manaphy, while also countering Voltlos without thunder wave. It is also one of my counters to dory without X-scissor. This gal is very important to my team because it prevents Birijiron and Rank sweeps, so it is optimal to keep it at high health. It can also scout out tyranitar and scizor switch ins with roar to. This moveset was suggested by Heist.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Fire Punch
Jirachi is a lot bulkier than you think it is. With 100/100/100 defenses, I made it a special tank. It can eat specs draco meteors that threaten my hippo and Latias. What I like about it the most is its versitality. After a draco meteor or a surf does pitful damage to my Jirachi, I either do one of two things. First, which I do a lot early-game is to body slam and have a chance to paralyze the switch-in, which many sweepers don't like to get. Second, something I sometimes do late game, is to wish and heal one of my allies, most preferably Rotom-W, who resists and or is immune to Jirachi's weaknesses. Iron head makes the deadly paraflinch combo while fire punch are to hit scizor and other pokes 4x weak to fire, while also doing something to Magnezone. 32 speed evs are needed to outspeed tyranitar for whatever reason .

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
Rotom-W helps a lot against rain teams. Resisting both water and ice, while being neutral to hp electric gives it a good edge against rain teams. The STABs are obvious, threatening to kill politoed and Manaphy, who gets 2KOed, and Hydro Pump takes perfect advantage of the rain. Pain spilt is there as an alternate recovery method, and I sometimes WoW those scizor and Nattorei to prevent them from hitting hard, as well as doing constant damage to pokes that can't heal, aside from leftovers. This guys only weakness is grass, which Jirachi, Latias, and Nattorei can take. Also thinking of scarf rotom.

Nattorei (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Protect
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
My spiker Nattorei. Being bulky as it is, it can set up against many rain sweepers. The moveset is again, obvious, but this guy can threaten many different pokes, while hitting Manaphy and Politoed without focus blast super effectively, 2 KOing it.It can stall out various pokes with leech seed and power whip is useful against rain teams.

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Rapid Spin
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
This guy is very useful in taking down Ludicolo, Birijiron, and even roobushin, while also setting up spikes and toxic spikes. It can take a hit from blaziken and retaliate, while also tanking special hits. Liquid ooze is more useful then rain dish dince leech seed, giga drain, and drain punch are very common.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Have you considered Skarmory over Hippo? If you don't use EQ much Skarmory can accomplish almost the same thing (different typing but...) with SR, roost, whirlwind, and Brave bird or something. It just seems weird to use sandstorm when you don't have anything to abuse it properly and it shortens the lifespan of three of your pokes, two of which would otherwise be getting recovery instead of canceling out from lefties.

That hippo is there to stop rain and sun teams. I like the residual damage it gives to the opponent because it negates leftovers recovery on the other side.
Things I'm considering:
toxic/hail over toxic spikes(hail if I go with Skarm)
rugged helmet/leftovers on Nattorei
Bliss/Chansey over Jirachi(unlikely to happen)
Oh yeah and suspect testing ends tomorrow! I thought it lasted for a month, but I still appreciate rates.

Hey, this is actually quite a solid stall team, and you have all the elements needed in order for the team to function well. You also have problem Pokemon for stall, such as Rankurusu and Voltolos covered nicely.

I think the team, outside of Jirachi, complements each other nicely, although I cannot think of a Pokemon that could replace Jirachi and perform all its roles while still offering Wish support. Because of this, I would like to suggest a few set changes, more than anything.

Firstly, have you thought about Ice Fang on Hippowdon? At the moment, Balloon Terakion has the ability to sweep your entire team comfortably. Do not immediately disgard it, as it is definitely a common and viable Pokemon. With the combination of its dual-stabs, at +2 it is able to 1HKO every single member of your team outside of Hippowdon. Not only does Ice Fang have the ability to hit Terakion, it will also do substantial damage to Pokemon such as Randorusu, Gliscor and Garchomp. While Swords Dance Gliscor is not really a threat to your team, due to Rotom-W more than adequately covering it, the other two Pokemon can still be threats. The former can also 2HKO every member of your team with Sandstorm up. Ice Fang will also do hefty damage to any Specs Latios switch-ins, looking to abuse the fact that Hippowdon's only common attacking move is Earthquake.

On Rotom-W, I would definitely think about using Pain Split. While Jirachi and Rotom-W both have great synergy [Jirachi lures in foes like Heatran, Hippowdon, Gliscor etc], I feel like Rotom-W is an integral member of your team and it is too important to lose. While Pain Split is far from reliable, it will keep Rotom-W alive a lot longer than just having Jirachi's Wish. On the topic of keeping your Pokemon alive longer, why not Protect and Leftovers on Nattorei? Because you are not playing Dream World, there is no Shandera. This means the only common trapper that can actually threaten it is Magnezone. While Magnezone is far from uncommon, its main use is being partnered on Rain teams. If you use Leech Seed + Protect, you will actually have a small chance of beating it, as combined with Leftovers, after every attack you are gaining around 36%. Protect is also useful to scout for Hidden Power [Fire] on Latios and Fire Blast on Tyranitar.

Tentacruel has stellar SpDef and I feel you are not really abusing that fact well by opting for a physically defensive spread. While other Pokemon [such as Skarmory and Hippowdon] will sometimes invest in their weaker defensive stat, Tentacruel does not really have the typing to do so. It is weak to the most common physical attack in Earthquake. The set I like on Tentacruel is:

Tentacruel @ Leftoves
Bold | Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpDef
Toxic Spikes / Rapid Spin / Sludge Bomb / Boil Over

The investment in physical defense is just incase you have to take on a Blaziken if your Latias is weakened, or to sponge the occassional physical attack from Rain teams, such as a Kingdra or Qwilfish Waterfall. I think you should definitely use Rain Dish on Tentacruel as if your Hippowdon does lose the weather battle, Tentacruel will be gaining 18% HP at the end of each turn. This will be a huge asset against Rain teams. Sludge Bomb can also work over Ice Beam as, for some reason, I get a lot of Birijion switch-ins when using Tentacruel and Sludge Bomb can threaten to 2hko these.

Just some food for thought, good luck!

Some questions:
What should I replace for pain split for rotom?
Isn't boiling water and toxic spikes redundant?
Considering the changes you suggested to hippo and nattorei

I would say Will-o-wisp, but because you are packing a spinner I am more inclined to say Hidden Power [Fire], seeing as you can spin away any hazards Nattorei sets up vs. Rotom later.

Boil Over and Toxic Spikes are kind of redundant although Boil Over certainly has its uses. Burning Latios, Scizor, Nattorei etc is really useful and Boil Over can also burn Sazandora. I don't know, its a matter of preference really...

Tentacruel is very good against Politoed if you give it Giga Drain. If you also give it Hail, Rain teams are far more hindered than you are, and it forces Toed back in to get Rain back up, which will let Hippo come back in later hassle free.

You know what helps against rain teams a lot? Ligh Screen. Light Screen on Jirachi over Fire Punch will go a long way, since flinchax is universally useful even with resistances.

And considering Rotom is a rain counter, why not use Thunder? Really good paralysis chance and much more power. May be less reliable out of the rain, but still perfectly viable.

I think you should mix the bulk of your Nattorei since you have two special sponges already in Latias and Jirachi.

Also, CM Virizion is bar none one of the best Rain counters. Hell, I think it'd be far more useful than Hippo since sand doesn't really benefit your team outside of just stopping rain. And Hail Tentacruel is a really good rain counter as is. Lack of sand also helps your walls like Latias live longer.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks like a pretty good stall team, except for one thing.

YOU ARE LACKING A SPIN BLOCKER

It'll be a pretty big waste when you get in your entry hazards and prepare to stall your opponent to death when Starmie comes in and just spins it all away and laughs at you. This is why I would strongly suggest that you replace Rotom-W with Burungeru. I really don't care moveset or EV spread you use, but you need a spin blocker.

Yes, definitely use a Burungeru over Rotom-w. That is, if you want to open yourself up to Randorusu and Doryuuzu and a bunch of other threats. Honestly, Rotom is way too important to replace and in my opinion, Burungeru does not have a place in this team. When you think about it, spinners are actually quite rare in this meta. While losing your hazards in one turn sucks, the hole that opens up by replacing Rotom-w is too huge, I think anyway.

Hey nice Stall team!

I've battled it before and it appears like a pretty nice team. You do need a spin blocker though. Burungeru is the premier spinblocker right now, however Pain split Gengar could do well since it will help you against Taunt Burungeru who would cause major problems with this team. After a Nattorei is burned it won't be doing much to it either. Gengar can also switch in on the Swords Dance, and OHKO Terakion with Focus Blast. It may be very frail but its helps against other Stall teams, and I found its worth it. Tentacruel already covers most of the stuff that Burungeru would cover anyway.

Using my bump. Sorry I was sick for a while so I couldn't comment on your stuff. I edited the OP based on what I wanted to change, and I'll comment on everything right away.
Hey, this is actually quite a solid stall team, and you have all the elements needed in order for the team to function well. You also have problem Pokemon for stall, such as Rankurusu and Voltolos covered nicely.
I think the team, outside of Jirachi, complements each other nicely, although I cannot think of a Pokemon that could replace Jirachi and perform all its roles while still offering Wish support. Because of this, I would like to suggest a few set changes, more than anything.
Firstly, have you thought about Ice Fang on Hippowdon? At the moment, Balloon Terakion has the ability to sweep your entire team comfortably. Do not immediately disgard it, as it is definitely a common and viable Pokemon. With the combination of its dual-stabs, at +2 it is able to 1HKO every single member of your team outside of Hippowdon. Not only does Ice Fang have the ability to hit Terakion, it will also do substantial damage to Pokemon such as Randorusu, Gliscor and Garchomp. While Swords Dance Gliscor is not really a threat to your team, due to Rotom-W more than adequately covering it, the other two Pokemon can still be threats. The former can also 2HKO every member of your team with Sandstorm up. Ice Fang will also do hefty damage to any Specs Latios switch-ins, looking to abuse the fact that Hippowdon's only common attacking move is Earthquake.
On Rotom-W, I would definitely think about using Pain Split. While Jirachi and Rotom-W both have great synergy [Jirachi lures in foes like Heatran, Hippowdon, Gliscor etc], I feel like Rotom-W is an integral member of your team and it is too important to lose. While Pain Split is far from reliable, it will keep Rotom-W alive a lot longer than just having Jirachi's Wish. On the topic of keeping your Pokemon alive longer, why not Protect and Leftovers on Nattorei? Because you are not playing Dream World, there is no Shandera. This means the only common trapper that can actually threaten it is Magnezone. While Magnezone is far from uncommon, its main use is being partnered on Rain teams. If you use Leech Seed + Protect, you will actually have a small chance of beating it, as combined with Leftovers, after every attack you are gaining around 36%. Protect is also useful to scout for Hidden Power [Fire] on Latios and Fire Blast on Tyranitar.
Tentacruel has stellar SpDef and I feel you are not really abusing that fact well by opting for a physically defensive spread. While other Pokemon [such as Skarmory and Hippowdon] will sometimes invest in their weaker defensive stat, Tentacruel does not really have the typing to do so. It is weak to the most common physical attack in Earthquake. The set I like on Tentacruel is:
Tentacruel @ Leftoves
Bold | Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpDef
Toxic Spikes / Rapid Spin / Sludge Bomb / Boil Over
The investment in physical defense is just incase you have to take on a Blaziken if your Latias is weakened, or to sponge the occassional physical attack from Rain teams, such as a Kingdra or Qwilfish Waterfall. I think you should definitely use Rain Dish on Tentacruel as if your Hippowdon does lose the weather battle, Tentacruel will be gaining 18% HP at the end of each turn. This will be a huge asset against Rain teams. Sludge Bomb can also work over Ice Beam as, for some reason, I get a lot of Birijion switch-ins when using Tentacruel and Sludge Bomb can threaten to 2hko these.
Just some food for thought, good luck!
Isn't ice fang a 2KO on chomp, terakion, and rand? And a +2 of any of those can 2 KO me back, an its faster. going with Pain Split. Protect on Nattorei, and your tenta set with surf.

Tentacruel is very good against Politoed if you give it Giga Drain. If you also give it Hail, Rain teams are far more hindered than you are, and it forces Toed back in to get Rain back up, which will let Hippo come back in later hassle free.
You know what helps against rain teams a lot? Ligh Screen. Light Screen on Jirachi over Fire Punch will go a long way, since flinchax is universally useful even with resistances.
And considering Rotom is a rain counter, why not use Thunder? Really good paralysis chance and much more power. May be less reliable out of the rain, but still perfectly viable.
I think you should mix the bulk of your Nattorei since you have two special sponges already in Latias and Jirachi.
Also, CM Virizion is bar none one of the best Rain counters. Hell, I think it'd be far more useful than Hippo since sand doesn't really benefit your team outside of just stopping rain. And Hail Tentacruel is a really good rain counter as is. Lack of sand also helps your walls like Latias live longer.
Changed to sludge bomb, so it does respectible damage, and it also sets up toxic spikes, while rain dish heals it a lot. I don't see the point of giga drain and hail on cruel. My 4 moves are too important to give up. Testing thunder on rotom. My Nattorei set is working fine. You do know that hippo is my sole physical tank, right? It sets up rocks too.

Looks like a pretty good stall team, except for one thing.
YOU ARE LACKING A SPIN BLOCKER
It'll be a pretty big waste when you get in your entry hazards and prepare to stall your opponent to death when Starmie comes in and just spins it all away and laughs at you. This is why I would strongly suggest that you replace Rotom-W with Burungeru. I really don't care moveset or EV spread you use, but you need a spin blocker.
Okay, but every poke on my team serves a role, and that's too important to overlook.

Hey nice Stall team!
I've battled it before and it appears like a pretty nice team. You do need a spin blocker though. Burungeru is the premier spinblocker right now, however Pain split Gengar could do well since it will help you against Taunt Burungeru who would cause major problems with this team. After a Nattorei is burned it won't be doing much to it either. Gengar can also switch in on the Swords Dance, and OHKO Terakion with Focus Blast. It may be very frail but its helps against other Stall teams, and I found its worth it. Tentacruel already covers most of the stuff that Burungeru would cover anyway.
Name a poke to replace gengar (not hippo, already got that too many times) and tell why its a good idea.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I have a quick EV fix for your Tentacruel. Right now, Tentacruel has 209 Defense and 316 Special Defense, but with an EV spread of 252 HP/200 Def/56 SpD Calm, its stats are increased to 216 Defense and 319 Special Defense.

Overall, the team is pretty solid. However, it seems like Calm Mind Rankurusu that use Psycho Shock can be a problem. Even though Latias is able to Calm Mind alongside it and eventually pHaze, it still beats you if it is a last Pokemon. In general, Rankurusu is a very frustrating Pokemon for stall to handle, so it's pretty hard for me to suggest a 100% solution to handle him. One thing you can do is give Rotom-W a Choice Scarf and Trick, which completely shuts down last Pokemon Calm Minders:

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Modest
EVs: 112 HP/252 SpA/144 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Change/Hidden Power Fire
-Trick

This Rotom-W also gives you the bonus of a fast revenge killer for things like Nasty Plot Voltolos and Swords Dance Landlos, who could otherwise be problematic. The above EVs allow you to outspeed Scarf Tyranitar.

Good luck!

My Nattorei set is working fine. You do know that hippo is my sole physical tank, right? It sets up rocks too.
Which is why I'm suggesting to make Nattorei physical... who can also set up rocks... Pretty sure Virizion would help a lot more than Hippo if you ask me. But hey, is your choice ultimately.

Well, you need a spin blocker..

I'd remove rotom-w for a spinblocker and another thing for gliscor. That would solve your spin blocking problem without opening your team against doryuuzu and fighters

but great team and good luck

You really do need a spinblocker but replacing Rotom-W for Burungeru probably isn't a good idea cus Rotom-W is just a check to so many things from boltbeamers to Dory to Mamoswine etc. You should probably replace Rachi and even then you would lose a lot because Burungeru just isn't that great. I miss a spinblocker like Rotom was in gen 4.

The other thing i would change is your Tentacruel ability to Liquid Ooze just because Leech Seed and Drain Punch (Giga Drain too) are just SO common.

This is a very sold stall team, but you are sort of weak to Doryuzu with X-Scissor because with Hippowdon, you literally giving your opponent an advantage, plus a Tyranitar with Fire Punch will spell your doom, so I'd replace Hippowdon for Skarmory in order to not give Sandstorm teams to go-ahead, and I'd also replace Tentacruel for Burungel so you could deal with the threat of Sandstorm teams even better, plus a free KO and maybe a burn with Boiling Water.

I think you shouldn't replace any members on your team for a spin blocker. the reason is rapid spinning became much easier this gen because of aiming mark which can let you spin on a ghost. The best spin blockers, the rotom formes also lost their ghost typing. Rotom W is too important to pass over for burungeru whos physical bulk is bad while rotom has good defenses on both sides.

I think you shouldn't replace any members on your team for a spin blocker. the reason is rapid spinning became much easier this gen because of aiming mark which can let you spin on a ghost. The best spin blockers, the rotom formes also lost their ghost typing. Rotom W is too important to pass over for burungeru whos physical bulk is bad while rotom has good defenses on both sides.
Aiming Mark removes the holder's immunities only.

I have a quick EV fix for your Tentacruel. Right now, Tentacruel has 209 Defense and 316 Special Defense, but with an EV spread of 252 HP/200 Def/56 SpD Calm, its stats are increased to 216 Defense and 319 Special Defense.
Overall, the team is pretty solid. However, it seems like Calm Mind Rankurusu that use Psycho Shock can be a problem. Even though Latias is able to Calm Mind alongside it and eventually pHaze, it still beats you if it is a last Pokemon. In general, Rankurusu is a very frustrating Pokemon for stall to handle, so it's pretty hard for me to suggest a 100% solution to handle him. One thing you can do is give Rotom-W a Choice Scarf and Trick, which completely shuts down last Pokemon Calm Minders:
Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Modest
EVs: 112 HP/252 SpA/144 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Change/Hidden Power Fire
-Trick
This Rotom-W also gives you the bonus of a fast revenge killer for things like Nasty Plot Voltolos and Swords Dance Landlos, who could otherwise be problematic. The above EVs allow you to outspeed Scarf Tyranitar.
Good luck!
Changed Tenta's ev spread. Going to test out scarf rotom. It looks great!

Well, you need a spin blocker..
I'd remove rotom-w for a spinblocker and another thing for gliscor. That would solve your spin blocking problem without opening your team against doryuuzu and fighters
but great team and good luck
And what should I replace for gliscor?

You really do need a spinblocker but replacing Rotom-W for Burungeru probably isn't a good idea cus Rotom-W is just a check to so many things from boltbeamers to Dory to Mamoswine etc. You should probably replace Rachi and even then you would lose a lot because Burungeru just isn't that great. I miss a spinblocker like Rotom was in gen 4.
The other thing i would change is your Tentacruel ability to Liquid Ooze just because Leech Seed and Drain Punch (Giga Drain too) are just SO common.
Changed to liquid ooze.

This is a very sold stall team, but you are sort of weak to Doryuzu with X-Scissor because with Hippowdon, you literally giving your opponent an advantage, plus a Tyranitar with Fire Punch will spell your doom, so I'd replace Hippowdon for Skarmory in order to not give Sandstorm teams to go-ahead, and I'd also replace Tentacruel for Burungel so you could deal with the threat of Sandstorm teams even better, plus a free KO and maybe a burn with Boiling Water.
Look at rotom-W. It has levitate, so it is immune to earthquake. He is also neutral to rock and bug. Look at his defnsive evs, which I could change. And, it can hit Dory hard with hydro pump. Hippo has earthquake for dory, by the way. Also, Hippowdon is not going to be changed to skarm. Hippo is the storngest physical tank. And changing tenta to burun is not going to help; there a lot more nattoreis than forry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)