The A-Team (UU RMT)

"
Give me a minute, I'm good. Give me an hour, I'm great. Give me six months, I'm unbeatable." - Liam Neeson, The A-Team

So since every one knows this team, I may as well post an RMT before I leave for the summer. This team has been my most successful in this metagame (unfortunately, nowhere near my most successful team - ironically I had had a better team every other metagame but the one for SPL :/). In case anyone cares, this team went 2-1 in SPL (but I'm 2-4 as of now....) and top 10 on the ladder etc. As the above quote points out, the longer it takes to stop my set up, the harder it will be for the opponent. Just one layer of Spikes is good enough, though.

"There is no Plan B"

This team was based around one premise: set up Spikes, and sweep Milotic-less teams with Moltres. If a team had Milotic - many do - I needed to play more aggressively with Hidden Power Grass and double-switches to Venusaur. With Spikes damage racking up on Milotic, I could even break through it. Once I destroy most of the opponent's team, Swellow cleans up easily. Swellow has quite a unique role for this team actually, but I'll get to that later. I'm going to skip through the team building process since it's very obvious, so here is the team at a glance:

Murdock the Qwilfish (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Explosion
- Aqua Jet
---

Role Summary: Murdock is a crazy ass fool. I go all out with Spikes almost every match then explode. If I see threatening sweeper that resists explosion or something, I'll Taunt them to stop set up. It's pretty easy to use. I try to predict the switches on Explosion to get an extra layer as well.

Moveset: Spikes is there because it's a key aspect of this team. Taunt stops opposing bulky set-up leads. Explosion allows Qwilfish to often set up a layer then KO the opponent and itself. Aqua Jet is there to hit Moltres beffore it 2HKOes.

EVs, Nature, and Item:
Focus Sash gives two attacks against most targets, which is quite helpful.

Hannibal the Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/68 Def/188 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
---

Role Summary: Donphan is a staple on most of my teams, and with good reason. It not only sets up Stealth Rock reliably, it can Rapid Spin opponents' entry hazards away. It also has the ability to check many threats. It's really the glue that holds the team together.

Moveset: Roar was chosen because without any Attack EVs, my attacks will merely dent the opponent's levitating Ghosts. It also deals with Pokemon such as Feraligatr, Torterra, and Magnet Rise Aggron far more effectively.

EVs, Nature, and Item: It seems as if my Donphan spread gets more defensive every time I post an RMT. I need Donphan to survive Houndoom Fire Blast and Milotic Surf so that I can OHKO them or Spin respectively. The rest is dumped into Defense.

B.A. the Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
---

Role Summary: Moltres is a bad ass. It gives me a bulky hard-hitting fast sweeper, and all I need to do to keep it is Spin away a few stones! Moltres is my go-to Pokemon. If I have Spikes and Stealth Rock set up, I'll likely just go to Moltres since it beats so many Pokemon. Worst case scenario: they switch in Milotic and are forced to recover. Best case scenario: they don't have Milotic and they lose a Pokemon. I also have Swellow to get rid of Slowking and Chansey.

Moveset: Standard Sweeper Moltres set. I'm tempted to use Peck because Air Slash misses at the worst times (not really).

EVs, Nature, and Item:
Maximum Speed and Timid because I need this to outpace all of the +Spe Venusaurs around. Otherwise, max SpA for maximum damage.

Lt. Templeton "Faceman" Peck
Lt. Templeton "Faceman" Peck: Alpha, Mike, Foxtrot! Adios Mother Fucker!

Face the Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
---

Role Summary: Venusaur doesn't do the muscling through the opponent like Moltres, but it does everything that Moltres can't. When making this team, I knew I would need something like Venusaur to switch into Milotic. Being as Venusaur is the one Pokemon that almost completely walls Milotic, I decided to use Venusaur. After Roserade left for OU, Venusaur has been running show. It can switch into various Water-type attacks and inflict major damage to the opponent, since Venusaur has very few viable switch-ins that aren't destroyed by Sleep Powder. Any Pokemon that can switch in likely get destroyed by the rest of my team.

Moveset: Standard special LO set, no catch, no gimmicks, no anything. This set has always been the most effective for me.

EVs, Nature, and Item:
I chose max Speed and Timid because I wanted to get the jump on other base 80s and make people curse themselves for using Modest Moltres. The loss in power is not very significant either.

Pike the Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Ice]
---

Role Summary: Rotom is basically my "Oh shit button". If they send in their Donphan or Hitmontop on something like my Donphan and threaten to spin my precious Spikes away, I immediately go to Rotom. If they send in their DD Feraligatr or Rock Polish Torterra on my Donphan, I immediately go to Rotom. Rotom is the glue that holds this team together. It gives me breathing room; one mistake one fuck me up for the whole match.

Moveset: Standard Scarf set, but I'm using HP Ice to deal with RP Torterra. The only other attack that requires a bit of explanation is Trick, since I use it differently than most. If I switch my Rotom into Hitmontop, I will almost always attempt to trick it. If I can stop it from Spinning for the whole match, I'll have a much easier time winning. Against stall, I will Trick something as soon as possible. Against offense, however, I will probably never Trick. The Scarf is necessary for so many threats.

EVs, Nature, and Item:
Timid, Max Speed, and Choice Scarf are all necessary to beat Pokemon like Torterra after a boost as well as other common Choice Scarf users.

Charisa the Swellow (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Quick Attack
- U-turn
- Facade
- Pursuit
---

Role Summary: Swellow, unlike on most teams, has a very unique role on this team. Not only is it meant to clean up late game, but it also plays a major factor in removing specific threats for Donpnhan and Moltres in particular. It also is probably the best Pokemon for spreading Spikes damage, often I'll just U-turn 1-2 times as the opponent switches in their Rhyperior only to get destroyed by Swellow after its in KO range from Facade.

Moveset: Facade, QA, and U-turn have pretty straightforward uses, however Pursuit is something quite different. Pursuit allows me to do many things that are essential to this teams success. Firstly, it allows me to trap Psychic-types and KO them early in the match. If the opponent is allowed to conserve their Psychic-type, I'll simply lose the match since I have absolutely nothing that can switch into Specs/LO Psychic from Alakazam (however Donphan can easily take one if it comes in). Another use for Pursuit is to trap Ghost-types, namely Mismagius. If Swellow comes in on Mismagius, you can almost be sure they will either try to set up a Substitute or switch. Either way, Mismagius will faint if it attempts to do anything except Thunderbolt. Rotom is also a huge pain in the ass for Swellow, but if it's locked into Shadow Ball and Swellow comes in, bye bye Swellow counter! The last reason I use Pursuit is to hit Chansey and Slowking on the switch. There comes a point vs balance (Slowking) and stall (Chansey) where I just need to sweep with Moltres otherwise my team will slowly dwindle away. Slowking will almost assuredly switch out of Swellow in fear of U-turn or Facade. Similarly, Chansey will almost always switch out of Swellow in fear of losing their crutch special wall. When these Pokemon switch out, though they won't be KOed, they will always be put in range for Moltres to 2HKO them.

EVs, Nature, and Item:
I don't need to explain much here. Max/Max for sweeping potential and Toxic Orb for Guts.

Threat list coming.

Offensive

Absol - comes in on nothing, sets up on nothing, and if all else fails, Donphan / Venusaur beat it.

Aggron - Donphan.

Alakazam - Annoying motherfucker, but I have Pursuit to revenge kill it after it takes out my Qwilfish.

Altaria - Donphan and Rotom.

Ambipom - Donphan and Rotom.

Arcanine - Donphand and Moltres.

Azumarill - Venusaur. Can be a bitch if I mispredict though.

Blaziken - Moltres.

Drapion - Donphan. Toxic Spikes make me lol.

Dugtrio - I guess it revenge kills Venusaur if I'm low on HP???? If it doesn't get Pursuit-KOed first.

Feraligatr - SD Aqua Jet is beaten by Venusaur, everything else is beaten by Rotom.

Hariyama - Venusaur, Rotom, and Moltres switch into CC's pretty decently.

Hitmonlee - Venusaur, Rotom, and Moltres.

Hitmontop - Venusaur, Rotom, and Moltres.

Houndoom - I usually keep whatever I have in to stop it from doing anything major. If it has Sucker Punch / if Qwilfish is gone, I need to revenge it with Swellow. Donphan is my last resort. It won't ever "sweep" me, but it will cause some problems.

Kabutops - Can't set up on anything (it's 2HKOed by Facade with Spikes/SR) and Venusaur / Rotom / even Moltres revenge it.

Leafeon - Venusaur and Moltres.

Ludicolo - Venusaur.

Magmortar - Pure prediction. I can take Fire Blasts with Moltres (not too many though) and Thunderbolts with Rotom etc. I can even take a Fire Blast with Donphan!

Mesprit - This motherfucker is annoying. Too bulky to be Pursuit bait and I can't really switch anything in. I will likely just attempt to blow it up asap.

Milotic - Venusaur.

Mismagius - Swellow.

Moltres - Moltres comes in on Fire Blast, Rotom comes in on Air Slash. Donphan can take a Fire Blast and Roar if it needs to.

Nidoking - Donphan / Moltres.

Omastar - Venusaur.

Poliwrath - Venusaur

Rhyperior - Hard to handle if I get unlucky with "prediction", but Donphan makes a great switch.
Rotom - Donphan makes a good switch if it's locked in on Thunderbolt to spin. Shadow Ball is taken by Swellow and it will be dealt with by Pursuit.
Sceptile - Venusaur.

Scyther - Rotom.

Swellow - Rotom.

Torterra - Moltres / Venusaur / Rotom epending on variant.

Toxicroak - Venusaur and Donphan both beat it. It can't really set up either.

Venusaur - Moltres.

Defensive

Altaria - Can't really wall anything reliably due to SR and/or Sleep Powder.

Blastoise - Venusaur.

Chansey - Pursuit Swellow.

Claydol - Rotom.

Clefable - Is 2HKOed by Moltres Fire Blast.

Cloyster - Rotom / Venusaur / Moltres.

Donphan - Moltres / Venusaur / Rotom. (see what I did there)

Hitmontop - Venusaur / Rotom / Moltres. (and again)

Lanturn - Venusaur.

Milotic - Venusaur.

Miltank - hit hard with Special Attackers until it goes down.

Omastar - Venusaur.

Regirock - Donphan.

Registeel - Donphan and Moltres.

Rotom - Moltres comes in on anything not named Thunderbolt.

Slowbro - Doesn't wall anything. Venusaur can switch in most of the time though.

Slowking - Pursuit Swellow and/or Venusaur.

Spiritomb - Moltres.

Steelix - Donphan.

Tangrowth - Moltres / Venusaur.

Torterra - Moltres / Venusaur.

Uxie - Another one of these annoying ass Psychics. Uxie doesn't hurt much though, so I can generally beat it with Swellow and Moltres.

Venusaur - Moltres

Weezing - Moltres.

Team Styles

Rain - I need to make sure I don't leave Swellow out early game otherwise Kabutops will destroy me. Otherwise, considering they will a) lose a couple turns against Qwilfish, b) lose a sweeper against Qwilfish, and c) lose as soon as Rain stops (via Moltres/Venusaur), they aren't very tough to beat.

Sun - The best part about Sun teams is the delay when I sent Moltres in, and I can tell how frustrated the opponent is.

Sandstorm - Annoying at best. I need to be careful to not give Cradily a chance to set up, but Moltres 3HKOes it if it's a Seed Bomb variant and Donphan will eventually crit the Rock Slide variants. Either way, it won't get in for free.
Hail - Moltres.

Trick Room - Won't set up. Ever. I have Taunt and the ability to Sleep / OHKO all of their Pokemon.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Probably the biggest problem I see with this team is its lack of ability to deal with powerful physically-inclined water attacks. You're lucky rain isn't as prominent as it was a couple of metagames ago, because a kabutops in the rain handily sweeps this whole team, and so does a normal Kabutops actually if it sets up on Swellow and manages to speed tie your Venusaur.
CB Azumarill also gives you some major problems; not much on your team likes CB Waterfall except Venusaur, and literally nothing likes CB Double Edge (your Donphan is sometimes 2hko'd, everything else is ohko'd except if you're ballsy enough to switch Rotom into a CB Azumarill). It also makes your life hell with CB Aqua Jet if venusaur dies for whatever reason.
You also have some minor issues with DD Feraligatr if your opponent is intelligent enough to pair it with a spiritomb or a skunktank or something, since it has little issue setting up on Donphan with its respectable defense stat (your donphan's earthquake does 47% max, meaning it can DD, kill Donphan, survive a Quick Attack from Swellow and kill it, etc).
And finally...Rhyperior. Rock Polish Rhyperior messes you up pretty badly. It can set up on Swellow after it kills something (since you say you use swellow to pursuit things, this should not be uncommon) and everything on your team is ohko'd except Donphan. You basically need to sacrifice Rotom or Donphan to weaken it (Scarf Rotom's HP Ice doesn't even break 50% damage, Donphan's EQ doesn't break 50%) and then revenge it with the other one.
Subperior is less of an issue, but CBperior....damn.

There are a couple of changes I can advocate to fix some of these issues.
One, replace HP Ice with Will o Wisp on Rotom. This way you burn RP Torterra if you really hate it that much, cripple Rhyperior as well, and shield yourself against pursuit-happy switchins a lot easier. This leaves you a bit more vulnerable to Houndoom though...which brings me to my next point.
I have no idea why you're using Donphan as a spinner if you want it to tank special hits from the likes of Houndoom and Milotic. If that's the sort of thing you expect out of your spinner, I would strongly recommend Blastoise. Blastoise GREATLY helps your physical water issues, can check Houndoom way more easily, can status and/or spin on Milotic, and can use Ice Beam to eliminate Torterra switchins, can ohko Rhyperior, and can do way more damage to spinblockers. It can also use rawr if you want it to. Simply put, I'm not seeing what Donphan does on your team that Blastoise cannot do better, so I'd recommend swapping it out.

That's all I have to say, good luck with your team ^^

Probably the biggest problem I see with this team is its lack of ability to deal with powerful physically-inclined water attacks. You're lucky rain isn't as prominent as it was a couple of metagames ago, because a kabutops in the rain handily sweeps this whole team, and so does a normal Kabutops actually if it sets up on Swellow and manages to speed tie your Venusaur.
Kabutops - Can't set up on anything (it's 2HKOed by Facade) and Venusaur / Rotom / even Moltres revenge it.
Facade btw: 47.1% - 55.6%

Not a threat (without Rain, with Rain I need to simply not leave Swellow in ever).
FlareBlitz said:
CB Azumarill also gives you some major problems; not much on your team likes CB Waterfall except Venusaur, and literally nothing likes CB Double Edge (your Donphan is sometimes 2hko'd, everything else is ohko'd except if you're ballsy enough to switch Rotom into a CB Azumarill). It also makes your life hell with CB Aqua Jet if venusaur dies for whatever reason.
Yea Azumarill is hard to face when it switches into my Donphan, but otherwise I have an easy switch in for Aqua Jet. If Donphan is out and SR is set up on their side / spun off my side, I don't mind sacrificing it.

In short: You're right that it sucks to play against, but it only threatens me if I mispredict.
FlareBlitz said:
You also have some minor issues with DD Feraligatr if your opponent is intelligent enough to pair it with a spiritomb or a skunktank or something, since it has little issue setting up on Donphan with its respectable defense stat (your donphan's earthquake does 47% max, meaning it can DD, kill Donphan, survive a Quick Attack from Swellow and kill it, etc)
Heysup said:
Feraligatr - SD Aqua Jet is beaten by Venusaur, everything else is beaten by Rotom.
I'd like to wish Spiritomb good luck beating Rotom with Pursuit after taking SR + Spikes + Thunderbolt. Skuntank as well.

Thunderbolt vs Spiritomb: 38.8% - 45.7% (likely 2HKO with 1 layer of Spikes + SR)
Pursuit vs not-switching Rotom: 57.9% - 69.4%

In short: Not worried. (Also keep in mind: Roar on Donphan).
FlareBlitz said:
And finally...Rhyperior. Rock Polish Rhyperior messes you up pretty badly. It can set up on Swellow after it kills something (since you say you use swellow to pursuit things, this should not be uncommon) and everything on your team is ohko'd except Donphan. You basically need to sacrifice Rotom or Donphan to weaken it (Scarf Rotom's HP Ice doesn't even break 50% damage, Donphan's EQ doesn't break 50%) and then revenge it with the other one.
Subperior is less of an issue, but CBperior....damn.
CB Perior is purely prediction, as are many Pokemon. I mean really, does any offensive team carry anything that can take all of Rhyperior's attacks (Milotic is the only option)? I have something that takes every attack at least once.

Donphan works as a great check. It will switch into Rock Polish, take an Earthquake that (does 50.8% max) 3HKOes, and do 41.2% - 48.5% (2HKO with Life Orb recoil or Spikes/SR) back with my own Earthquake. In order for Rhyperior to critically damage Donphan, it needs to sacrifice itself. Bad idea against a team using Swellow. This is basically why I use Donphan with Pursuit Swellow.

In short: Not worried.

As I'm not especially worried about what you pointed out, I don't see the need to sacrifice a crucial aspect of my team (Rock resist, Electric immunity, and Stealth Rock) to better take a Pokemon that can only deal major damage if I misplay (Azumarill). I think you misunderstand Donphan's role. It is to set up Stealth Rock (Blastoise can't), Spin, and check various threats (trades Azumarill for Rhyperior, Aggron, and Electrics). If that means I need to sacrifice it to beat Houndoom, Rhyperior, or whatever, then that's fine.

Anyway, thanks for the rate.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So yeah, I am so stealing that Donphan set. It's perfect for those smart alecky Houndoom's! (Great job on creating it btw)

What about running Moltres as your lead? You beat down more opposing pokemon that way right? You can always keep your Qwilfish later on to set up more layers of spikes.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey,

Well this is an excellent team, and congrats on your success with it. I'd suggest simply tinkering around with Venusaur's set and EVs a bit. A mixed set sounds like it could do well, getting 2HKOs on Clefable and Chansey while still doing plenty to Milotic, Blastoise and the like. It does become harder to take on Physical hits from the likes of Azumarill, but you do end up having a general easier time against Stall. An EV spread of 160 Atk/96 Sp Atk with the rest dumped into Speed and a Hasty nature should work quite well. It's just something to try out.

Great team.

Use Blaziken in place of Moltres. Also if you're going to use something with an electric weakness to revenge kill in a scizor like fashion, why not use Azumarill? :D

Great team HeySup. However I was just wondering how you handle sharpedo as it maim if not knock out most of you team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)