The Assistunt

At a glance:

The opponent will think you are a crazy kid.

Concept:
Assist will only pick roar.
To do this, a team would have to be composed of the moves that cannot be picked by assist:

Chatter, Copycat, Counter, Covet, Destiny Bond, Detect, Dragon Tail, Endure, Feint, Focus Punch, Follow Me, Helping Hand, Me First, Metronome, Mimic, Mirror Coat, Mirror Move, Overhead Throw, Protect, Sketch, Sleep Talk, Snatch, Struggle, Switcheroo, Thief, and Trick

Now let us see how a team can be composed of such nonsensical moves to form a rather pleasing gimmick.

Riolu (M) @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Copycat
- Protect
- Roar
- Overhead Throw

Luckily Riolu is a very cute pokemon.
Unlike Lucario, Who threatens a Swords Dance, Riolu's look just begs for the opponent to set hazards on it. And when they do, the game is sealed.
Though Riolu is cute on the outside, in the inside he has a mischievous heart. With the combo of mischievous heart and copycat, Riolu is guaranteed to set the hazard if the opponent does.

The strategy here is to protect the first turn if the opponent is a possible stealth rock setter. Use Copycat if they set the stealth rock.

Else, you should switch out and save Riolu for when they send out a pokemon such as Nattorei.

Riolu can also abuse Overhead Throw. Overhead throw can do minimal damage, but will help you scout the opponents team. Use Copycat to use another Overhead Throw after the first one, because Copycat picks the last move used, which is overhead throw in this case.

Riolu will be the only pokemon carrying roar on this team.
Since roar is the only move pickable by Assist on this team, Assist will always pick roar. It is that simple.

Abomasnow(M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
- Protect
- Focus Punch
- Sleep Talk
- Endure

Basically, I am using Abomasnow just for the weather.
Hail hits all types bar Ice for 6% damage.

In a weather based metagame, hail is the only weather that the opponent probably doesn't use.

Here is the strategy.
Send in Abomasnow for the Weather. If the opponent also has weather, then it is important to keep abomasnow alive.
Since they want to keep the weather as sandstorm, sending Abomasnow in on pokemon such as Hippowdon, Politoed, Tyranitar, not ninetales though, will force switches. Also, sending in Abomasnow on a pokemon which abuses other weather than hail will force them to switch back into the weather inducer.
These switches will give you a chance use Focus Punch. For this reason, you could also invest in attack on this abomasnow.

Ambipom (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Switcheroo
- Covet
- Thief
- Counter

Primary Sweeper. Do not send out Ambipom until late game, because that is when you will know who your main threats are and can deal accordingly with them.

Save ambipom for threats such as Regeneration pokemon and pokemon resistant to hail and/or have leftovers.
If you do the assisting correctly, these pokemon are the ones who will survive till the end.

Covet is the main attraction here. With 60 BP, it receives the boost from Technician, has STAB, and hits very hard with choice band.
Thief is for ghosts (which you can predict since assist will scout their entire team). It also gets a boost from Technician.

Switcheroo is for those pokemon with leftovers who you could not touch with no hazards out. Try to switch the band onto their leftovers pokemon.

Counter is highly unlikely to be used, but is stuck on there for lack of a replacement. It might come useful sometime.

derp (Wobbuffet[/SIZE="3"]) (M) @ Custap Berry
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 228 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond

Derp. This wobbuffet has the opportunity to murder 2 pokemon if all plays out well.

Wobbuffet has the ability to remove 1 mono-attacker from play , especially when they carry a choice item of some sort (which I can choice onto them as well) . Wobbuffet can be used to kill a pokemon which cannot be killed by hail when you have no hazards.

Counter for physical attackers, Mirror Coat for special attackers, but wait! Custap berry???!!!
When wobbuffet is lower than 25% HP, which it usually is after an attack, it can use priority destiny bond to hopefully score another kill.

Toxicroak (M) @ Leftovers/Shuca Berry
Trait: Poison Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
- Counter
- Protect
- Me First
- Thief

Toxic spikes is a counter to this team, shortening the life span of Reparudasu.
Toxicroak will get rid of the toxic spikes.

Indirect damage is highly stressed on this team, and toxicroak has 1 attraction to its name: Poison Skin. With poison skin, you could switch Toxicroak in on leftovers Roobushin and there is a 20-30% chance it will contract poison after a drain punch. Toxicroak resists fighting type and with 252 defense impish, Roobushins drain punch only does 10-20 % damage! Toxicroak can also be sent in on other physical attackers.

Counter is extremely useful, since people will always try to use Earthquake on Toxicroak. Toxicroak can survive EQ from Doryuuzu and return a counter, before dying to the hail. Shuca berry can also be used for this reason.

Me First is useful against Roobushin mainly, to return 1.5 power drain punches.

Protect is there to scout moves and also deals another 6% damage to the opponent. On this team, 6% damages are crucial to victory.

Thief is important when using shuca berry. After your shuca berry activates and you kill the person using EQ with counter, you can now use thief to steal the opponents item.

Reparudasu (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Night Slash / Trickery
- Encore / Swagger
- Protect
- Assist

The Assistunt.
The strategy for Reparudasu is this:
Protect for those who do not have Leftovers, then Assist.
Assist for those who have leftovers, without protecting.

Note there are exceptions.
If you need to know what move the opponent will make, you should protect.
Hopefully you will get a useful encore.

Encore and Trickery may be used together if you encore a stat boosting attack move, such as Swords dancing doryuuzu.
Swagger and Trickery is a deadly combo, but you cannot assume that the opponent will get hurt by confusion, so it is risky.
Night Slash is reliable, but doesnt do much damage.
To try to save Assist/Protect PP, try to kill the pokemon in killing range when you can.

It may be a long fight if you have no hazards, but you may win in the end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Replacements:

Riolu-

Chatot @ Leftovers/ Life Orb (lol)
252 Timid

-Chatter
- Mirror Move
-Mimic/protect/endure/sleeptalk
-Mimic/protect/endure/sleeptalk

This would be another possible replacement for riolu.
It can reach 309 speed.
Chatter is good chance of confusion (which can be good or bad if they want to set hazards but you wont let them :( )

Lopunny @ Choice Band / Scarf / Specs
Klutz
252 speed JOLLY

Copycat
Focus Punch/ Mirror Coat/Overhead Throw/Protect
Switcheroo
Focus Punch/ Mirror Coat/Overhead Throw/Protect

Lopunny may actually be a good alternative to Riolu. With its great speed, it can switch a choice item to its opponent, hopefully when it is setting up hazards. Once the opponent realizes they are stuck on one hazard, you can copy cat it while they switch.

This will also put an end to those stupid rapid spin + stealth rock leads.
It has 105 speed, outspeeding almost all the stealth rock setters.

If you use lopunny, you will have to use Nidoqueen for your Roar source.

Murkrow @ Leftovers / Evolution Stone
Mischievous Heart

Mirror Move
Protect
Whirlwind
Thief

alternative to riolu. though riolu is more effective :P
cool guy 31337 set lol

Blaziken @ FOCUS SASH
Speed boost

-Counter
-Mimic/ Protect
-Mirror Move
- Roar

Focus sash counter is lethal to leads carrying earthquake. with speed boost, you can use protect to outspeed pokemon such as aerodactyl.

Wobbuffet-

Mew @ Choice Scarf:
Trick
Me First
Metronome / Focus Punch / Dragon Tail / Counter
Metronome / Focus Punch / Dragon Tail / Counter

Mew has many options. Tricking another scarf upon another leftovers is extremely useful.
Me First for a reliable attack.

Choroneko @ Leftovers:

Assist
Snatch
Thief
Protect

If you cant have enough assist, use choroneko. However, you will also have to change the set of Reparudasu to the same thing.

Snatch will steal the opponents stat boosts/ recover / wish. More troll than it is useful.

Toxicroak-

Nidoqueen
Ability : Poison Point
Focus Punch
Dragon Tail
Roar
Counter

Alternative to toxicroak. Poison point has more chance of poison I believe. Do not use roar if you already have somebody with it.

Abomasnow-

Tyranitar @ Leftovers

Focus Punch
Dragon Tail
Counter
Protect/ Mimic / Roar / Sleep Talk

Tyranitar is a more supportive weather inducer, but the problem will be taking down steel types throughout the game.
For the other options, you can use roar if you dont have anybody who can.

Very nice gimmick team, it seems a lot of thought has gone into it. The problem with your team is that, when Abomasnow is dead, Sandstorm teams will most probably beat you. The movesets of each Pokemon are pathetic in the current metagame (that's not a criticism, I understand they have to be for the gimmick to work), so a well-constructed team could pick yours apart, very, very slowly. I don't really have any suggestions for this team; I've played Assist / Roar teams, and they certainly are annoying. Another thing is, Shandera can come in on Riolu and destroy it with Overheat, ruining half your strategy.
Good luck with teh gimmickz.

Really lovely team! Pretty sure I played against it before. Was so shocked when toxicroak stole my lone leftovers. =D

Not much to suggest cos you really got this well-thought and there is really limited choices anyway.

What is your option against an extreme speed user? say SD luke. Wob won't be able to handle it with no encore.

Yay insight.

Ok, toxicroak can be played with no item I forgot to mention that.
Same as ambipom with covet (which begs for item and what not)
LabRay I might have played you in one of my alts, because all my items disappeared somehow, and I remember Ambipom and toxicroak stole items. I'll make a note to add thief when using shuca berry.

Extreme speed I can handle by switching into wobba and using Counter.
Wobba cannot handle SD, therefore a switch into toxicroak would be favourable.
Threatened by a fighting attack (which I dont actually have), lucario will end up being forced to use extremespeed (since other moves are crunch and close combat, both of hich are resisted) , and I can throw back a counter.

Against sandstorm teams, Abomasnow is truly a plus.
With a defensive investment, it can easily take powerful earthquakes. The main concern is probably rock type attacks.
I stressed keeping abomasnow alive, but sometimes an accident happens.

This team has an advantage to sandstorm teams however, because hippowdon leads set up stealth rocks on Riolu often.
I'd have to say sandstorm teams are an enemy to this team.

And shandera destroying Riolu is pretty much correct lol.

I saw this on PO forums, its pretty cool. But it fails against rankurusu and if the opponent don't use stealth rock =/

Rankurusu is for night slashing / trickery in the end.

If focus blast hits, then send either Wobba or Ambipom.
Since Rankurusu is slow, he isn't really one of my top concerns for this team.

pokemon you can't roar out are a problem. octillery and cradily have suction cups, so they can't be switched, but they're not at all common. Soundproof pokemon can't be roared either, although again, no soundproof user is common, and even then, it's rare for them to use soundproof instead of another ability.
Soundproof pokemon are Mr.Mime, buffaron, abomasnow, bastiodon, exploud, and electrode.
Those are extremely rare to come by, but there is one ability that is common and will give you trouble. Magic Mirror. espeon and xatu bouncing roars back at leopardas could be a major problem.

Also, clefable pretty much destroys this team. magic guard + being generally unpredictable (there's like a million possible movesets for clefable) make it likely one of the biggest threats to your team.

Clefable does not destroy this team.
Can be tricked scarf then Ambipom killed.

Yes octillery and cradily are problems, but they are not used much.
same as all the soundproof pokemon , but they look weak enough to be taken on by ambipom.

Espeon is a true enemy to this team definitely

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
It seems like a forretress with something like sr/spikes/spin/explosion @ mental herb/custap would be a lot more reliable than your current riolu set, as you can just set rocks and explode, however, you do lose the priority overhead throws so I don't know if it'd be worth it. I love the concept, great job.

Edit: Heatran also works, the idea is to lay down rocks and explode. Unless i misunderstand how assist works.

you misunderstand.

Assist can pick explode, so once I go into reparudasu and I pick assist,
it will explode lol

Forretress exploding after laying hazards is pretty okay since Assist can't pick moves from fainted pokemon, right?

The biggest problem is when the opponent doesn't lay hazards, but there's not much you can do about that. I use Ttar over Abomasnow on my team because Mimic is useful as an extra shot at getting hazards that they hopefully won't be expecting, though sand stall to death is harder than snow stall to death. Counter/Sash can often net at least one kill, and Dragon Tail is obviously good. (I have Choroneko and Lepardas for the extra PP, too, so I'm forced into just Thief/Covet for damage). Red Card + Thief can sometimes be useful - Red Card forces one extra switch, then Thief can actually steal something.

Metronome can also sometimes be good, but, well, it's a risk.

Ok. When you say opponent not using hazards,the opponent is either using rain/sun, or is stupid to not abuse stealth rock.

Lets assume the opponent is not stupid, and the opponent is using rain / sun.
So you have choroneko and reparudasu (I really suggest the snatch set above)
which means 64 PP of assist.

You are using ttar, which will probably hit their entire team for 6 % damage.
The problem is the weather inducer. Which is what wobbuffet is for. Just trap them and mirror coat. If not, then too bad 0:) but make sure you always use protect on riolu first to see if they use an attack , or hypnosis (which they both have )

I like your Red Card + Thief idea.
But I dislike that you are stealing an item from an unknown pokemon (such as a choiced one) which could truly ruin the thiefing pokemon. I like that idea :)

Counter + Sash is assuming your sand storm isnt up. Just use anybody who looks like Earthquake would kill them (like toxicroak) and run 252 impish and counter, or a shuca berry.

Bad side on Mimictar is that it may not get to use the move it mimic'd before it dies .

Metronome /Me First/ Trick / Dragon Tail or Counter Mew @ Choice Scarf
Is what I use for metronome, if I have space.

If you think about using strong dragon tail users, try Zuruzukin or Evo Stone Rhydon (sp def boost in sandstorm since you are using TTar). You cant really use dragons because if they have stealth rock up, then stealth rock will be on your side too.
But then again, if they have stealth rock up, its game lol.

Problem with sandstorm is against other sandstorm teams, which is probably fairly common. I'd try hail if I were you, and see if you like it.

Good luck on assisting btw! Thanks for the ideas.

i would recommend switching toxicroak's ability to dry skin.
Poison skin DOES NOT work the same as poison point. it works so that when when YOU damage the opponent with a physical move, theres a chance that they will be poisoned. Since that would only happen with thief, it's not very helpful at all.
and a water absorber would really be nice for your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)