The Aura Within {OU RMT}

The Aura Within
===========================

===========================

Intro
==========================================================
Hey Smogon, It's me CDizzle23 coming to you with my second RMT. My first RMT was a couple of weeks ago and to be completely honest the team just wasn't working so well. I don't know what happened it just wasn't working and it wasn't going anywhere on the ladder.I decided just to ditch it and just start fresh with a different team. This time around I tested different pokemon more thoroughly and I found a lot of useful combinations. Also, I wanted to base this team around something that I hadn't use in a while. Thus, team The Aura Within was born.{team Aura for short}

Team Building Process

I decided to base this team around a very threatening pokemon that was also very easy to use. Alot, of pokemon came to mind: Jirachi, Empoleon, Salamence, etc., but one pokemon really stood out, Lucario. I have always been a big fan, but never based a team around so I knew he would be the center of my team.

As everyone knows this sexy beast right here functions best as a late game sweeper. This means I need a pokemon that is able to act as a wreaking ball and just punch holes into the opposing team. This pokemon also had to cover Lukes weaknesses and have good synergy with him. Looking over all this I noticed good ol' Salamence fit the bill perfectly.

After adding Mence I wanted a pokemon that could dispose of the likes of Choice Scarf Heatran and Gliscor as well as being able to sweep entire teams if left unchecked. This was the one and only InfernRAPE, uh I mean Infernape.

The next thing I noticed was that Mence and Infernape were countered very well by latias and considering that most Latias in todays metagame I needed a pursuit user. I also noticed that Starmie's usage has been rising and it can also counter both Mence and Infernape and this only raised my need for a pursuit user. Now I was faced with a tough decision. The two most effective pursuit users are Scizor and Tyranitar. This was such a hard choice because T-tar is my favorite pokemon and it is very Bulky. On the other hand it shared a lot of weaknesses with my team so I decided on Scizor.

A preference of mine is I like to run three set up sweepers on my team. I also wanted to add some more bulk to the team. This another one of my favorite pokemon because it can set up on some many things, run through teams by itself, and act as a lure for the dreaded latias. I chose Gyarados because he has all of these things while maintaining great synergy with the team.

Now all that was left was the lead. Yet again, I wanted to try something that I hadn't used for a while. So I decided to use metagross for his ability to beat so many common leads.

After a lot of testing Metagross didn't seem to be working that well with the rest of the team. Also, Gyarados didn't seem to be doing much. It rarely contributed when I won and was dead weight when I lost. After some moveset changes here and there and some tweaks to some ev spreads this is what the team looked like.

In Depth

The Extinct Beast

Mamoswine(m)@Focus Sash
Snow Cloak
Jolly(+spe -spA) 4hp/252att/252spe
~Earthquake
~Ice shard
~Stealth Rock

~Endeavor

Why did I choose it: Ol' Mamo here has always been one of my favorite leads because it is just so effective. I almost always get one kill and if I play smartly two.
Contribution(s) to Lucario:
Lays down those precious rocks. And gets the offensive momentum going.
Ev's/Moves: The moves are pretty simple. Earthquake and Ice shard to beat focus sashers, while keeping mine intact. Stealth rock is a given. Endeavor for me is really what makes this set so effective. Max speed and attack is to make it as fast and strong as possible.

The Metal Bug

Scizor(m)@Choice Band
Technician
Adamant(+att -spA) 248hp/80att/180spD
~Bullet Punch
~U-Turn
~Pursuit
~Superpower

Why did I choose it: There are plenty of reasons I chose this, but the thing I probably like most about this set is the ridiculous amount of bulk it has, while still being able to hit like a truck.
Contribution(s) to Lucario: Takes out opponents ghosts and psychics(I am talking to you gengar, rotom, latias, and starmie)
Ev's/Moves: The moveset is quite standard, but you may not understand the evs. These are for maximum bulk while still retaining plenty of power here are some damage calcs:
Timid Latias Draco Meteor
319 Atk vs 240 Def & 344 HP (140 Base Power): 100 - 118 (29.07% - 34.30%)
Timid Latias Surf/T-bolt
319 Atk vs 240 Def & 344 HP (95 Base Power): 91 - 108 (26.45% - 31.40%)
Timid Starmie Surf
299 Atk vs 240 Def & 344 HP (95 Base Power): 127 - 151 (36.92% - 43.90%)
Timid Gengar LO Focus Blast
359 Atk vs 240 Def & 344 HP (120 Base Power): 167 - 197 (48.55% - 57.27%)
Timid Gengar HP Fire(just for lulz)
359 Atk vs 240 Def & 344 HP (70 Base Power): 300 - 356 (87.21% - 103.49%
(all with stealth rock)

The Little Blue Dragon

Salamence(m)@Life Orb
Intimidate
Naive(+spe -spD) 16att/240spA/252spe
~Draco Meteor
~Fire Blast
~Brick Break
~Roost
Why did I choose it: I chose salamence for two main reasons. These reasons are his great synergy with lucario and his ridiculous ability to break walls.
Contribution(s) to Lucario: I like to think of mence as a wrecking ball that just puts wholes in everything then Luke just has to clean up.
Ev's/Moves: Max speed is pretty obvious. 16 Att evs and 240 spA evs let him break walls with ease. The moveset allows him to beat Blissey, snorlax, celebi, gliscor, skarmory, and fortress just to name a few.

The Electric Bird

Zapdos(None)@Life Orb
Pressure
Modest(+spA -att) 140hp/252spA/116spe
~Thunderbolt
~Hidden Power [ice]
~Roost/Heat Wave
~Agility
Why did I choose it: First of all I have to say wow. This set is so beast. I have never used zapdos on a team before and now I bitterly regret it. So I chose him for his typing, bulk, and the ability to counter some of the top threats.
Contribution(s) to Lucario: Pretty much just starts where mence left off ripping holes in the opponents team, so that lucario can pick off the surviving members.
Ev's/Moves: Thunderbolt and HP Ice for a pseudo boltbeam combo. Roost to heal of LO damage and agility to boost my speed. I am considering runing Thunderbolt/HP Grass/Heat Wave/Agility with leftovers, but I enjoy the extra power from life orb and the ability to roost whenever. The evs give me max attack and the ability to outrun everything in OU except Choice Scarf base 130's(never seen) and then the rest dumped into hp.

The Crazy Monkey

Infernape(m)@Life Orb
Blaze
Timid(+spe -att) 56hp/252spA/200spe
~Fire Blast
~Vaccum Wave
~Grass Knot
~Nasty Plot
Why did I choose it: To be honest I never thought about using this set untill my team got completely destroyed by one. So I figured I should at least test it when building this team and it turned out to be a great addition.
Contribution(s) to Lucario: Disposes of CS heatran and Gliscor if he shows up(happened a couple times)
Ev's/Moves: Max special attack for obvious reaons. 200 speed evs so I can outspeed other Infernapes(idk why) and then the rest in hp because I am running an all special moveset. You may be thinking why vaccum wave over close combat? The reason is Choice Scarf heatran is a big problem for Luke and vaccum wave remedies this. Also, it is insurance against opposing Lucario and Sub Petaya Empoleon.

The Steel Jackal

Lucario(m)@Life Orb
Inner Focus
Adamant(+att -spA) 4def/252att/252spe
~Close Combat
~Extreme Speed
~Crunch
~Swords Dance
Why did I choose it: I chose lucario simply because it is a beast. With the right support it is unstoppable.
Contribution(s) to Lucario: Sweeps!!!
Ev's/Moves:
The moveset and evs are pretty standard. Max att and Max spe with an extra 4 in def for a slight amount of bulk. Close Combat is a great stab that destroys anything that doesn't resist it. Extreme speed is so that I don't get revenge killed. Crunch is for those gosts and psychics that escaped the grasp of my scizor and lastly swords dance to double my att as soon as my opponent makes one wrong move.

Change Log:

~testing rotom-h over zapdos-great results, but i am going to test more
~testing new zapdos set-havn't tested yet
~testing new salamence set-horrible results, mixmence proved more useful

One Last Look

haunter

Banned deucer.
Nice team, but you have nothing to deal with Gyarados. After a DD it can outspeed and ohko almost every member of your team with just stone edge and waterfall, especially if SR is down. Scizor locked into BP\pursuit\superpower offers Gyara many opportunities to set up, so you should be prepared to handle it.

Desipite yours being an offensive team, I think that a Pokemon like Rotom could replace Zapdos nicely, you might try a defensive set:

Rotom@leftovers
nature: bold
EVs: 252 HP \ 168 Def \ 88 Spe
-thunderbolt
-w-o-w
-rest
-sleep talk

This Pokemon would take care of Gyarados, agil-Gross (another potential threat for offensive teams like yours) and would also provide an useful status absorber.

just 1 little thing about nape=3 special moves and nasty plot,naive nature? i really would sugest for you to run timid instead(mach punch is physical,not vaccum wave if that was the reason for you to use naive)i also agree on the second zapdos set you are thinking about using,roost wont be a LOT useful once you start sweeping has you need to keep the pressure on the oponent,and stop to roost might give him a chance to strike,hp grass would also help against swampert who stop your set and heat wave make the zapdos another scizor counter,so yea,t-bolt,heat wave,hp grass agility zapdos ftw

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I like mamoswine lead, but stone edge is better on him compared to endeavor for type coverage.

I don't think nasty plot ape really fits into your team here. In fact i think your team has to many pokes that need a set up move to sweep.

i.e zapdos , ape , luke. Not to mention he can deal with dd gyarados nicely

What i suggest instead is for you to run mix choice scarf set, for a few reasons.
You lack real speed on this team. if your opponent has any scarf poke your team is outspeed completely. I know that i wouldn't so here's the set.

@ life orb
Rash / Blaze
232 atk / 46 spA / 232 spe
Moves
-Close Combat
-Overheat
-Thunder Punch
-Grass Knot

This set offers a lot more than it seems, and i specifically made it based on a few things your team needs.

Close Combat and Overheat are two fantastic moves to make huge dents in walls that bother lucario.
Gliscor / Skarmory / etc.
Thunder punch is something you are in desperate need of. That being a gyarados counter. With scarf on you will outspeed after dd and thunder punch for a ohko.
Grass Knot for pert which can possibly give luke some trouble.

Edit: After relooking over your team i think that mence could do more for your team with a different set.

@ leftovers
Timid / Intimidate
252 hp / 180 def / 76 spe
Moves
-Roost
-Toxic
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower

This set provides you with much needed bulk, and can help you switch on on physical pokes that are getting ready for a sweep and dealing with them nicely.
This particular Salamence is suited to take hits from Heracross, Lucario, and various other Fighting-types. Salamence also makes a great switch-in to Scizor, especially if it lacks Iron Head (and most will). With Intimidate bolstering Salamence's Defense, it is able to switch into a variety of physical attacks. For example, a Swords Danced Life Orb Lucario's Close Combat can only manage 46-54% after Intimidate. Crunch and Extremespeed will both do even less damage. Amazingly, after an Intimidate, not even Ice Punch will be able to OHKO this Salamence with the given EVs.
He can still rip through teams in a different way, giving status to bulky waters that might bother your team and also helping get rid of annoying pokes that wall lucario.

Other wise i think this team is really solid and could do very well. Good luck with it.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I suggest that you run 248 hp evs for scizor, because you take reduced damage from stealth rock. Also, I don't like speed evs on scizor, because it is preferable to lose the speed battle with other scizor when using superpower. I suggest you put these into attack.
Haunter's suggestion of Rotom is good, because you need a genuine gyarados counter (as for sledge hammer's infernape - tricking an infernape is a waste of a trick, hence he will usually get outsped and KOd unless your opponent slips up - therefore if you adopt this, get a proper gyarados counter and replace the set with fire blast / hp ice over overheat/thunderpunch with some more SpA investment or simply replace thunderpunch with stone edge/u-turn (best move in the game).) Rotom is also good for absorbing electric attacks (you cannot rely on mamoswine, he is practically a suicide lead) AND he attracts pursuit from tyranitar and scizor to an extent offering lucario an excellent oppurtunity to set up on the 4x resist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)