Battle Stadium The Average Show Experience

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
So after the singer finishes their last song for the night, the crowd asks for an ENCORE!

Figured I should share my team now that Series 2 is approaching, had a ton of fun with this one!

:tinkaton: :dragonite: :gholdengo: :volcarona: :baxcalibur: :quaquaval: - the squad(click on the icons for paste)

Teambuilding process
-----------------------------

:tinkaton: :dragonite:
The initial idea was to use Lead Tinkaton + Trapper Dragonite to harass slower mons with Encore. I used Tinkaton on another team before and while it was good, I thought I could do more with it and decided to make a new one.

:tinkaton: :dragonite: :gholdengo:
I added Gholdengo because Tinkaton can also paralyze other mons for it to use Hex on, and it has good synergy with Dragonite, baiting moves such as Fissure from Dondozo that can be Encored.

Phys Cloak Gholdengo is probably one of my favorite sets, it can survive so much and being a free-switch on Salt Cure is always appreciated when Garganacl used to be more common.

:tinkaton: :dragonite: :gholdengo: :volcarona:
The team structure needed something more offensive to take on the Unaware trio or just the Corviknight + Clodsire duo, and Specs Volc fits the bill perfectly. Tera Fire Specs Overheat is a nuke that doesn't care for Fire resists.

:tinkaton: :dragonite: :gholdengo: :volcarona: :baxcalibur:
The fifth mon added was Baxcalibur, whose coverage helped patch up some of the team's weaknesses, especially against Garchomp and Rotom. Initially I used Assault Vest and Tera Ground, but eventually switched to Tera Electric, and then Focus Sash when I realized it's a decent lead on its own.

:tinkaton: :dragonite: :gholdengo: :volcarona: :baxcalibur: :dondozo:
I hit a wall in regards to which mon to use as my sixth, my first drafts had offensive Hippowdon and Mudsdale, but they didn't fit well with the rest of the team. That was when Tachipoyo mentioned CB Dondozo and I thought "lol ok I'm gonna try that".

:tinkaton: :dragonite: :gholdengo: :volcarona: :baxcalibur: :quaquaval:
CB dozo was a fun idea at first but while it fit better than the offensive ground-types I had in mind earlier on, it wasn't quite the match. That's when season 1 ended and I came across this defensive Quaquaval set(which also had Encore). Triple Encore was a bit overkill for my team, so I ended up making it Baton Pass instead.

The Team

:sv/tinkaton:
Tinkaton @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Level: 50
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 164 Def / 20 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Encore

This is your average Tinkaton lead, designed to set up Rocks and cripple the opp as much as possible, this is why it doesn't have Gigaton Hammer as an attacking move. The EV spread allows it to take a EQ + Tera Normal espeed from dnite on the physical side, and on the special side it can take a Timid Specs Fire Blast from Hydreigon, two Modest Specs Shadow Balls from Pult and three uninvested Shadow Balls from Gholdengo.

:sv/dragonite:
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 244 HP / 164 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Spin
- Roost
- Encore

Dragonite is an amazing mon in Series 1 BSS, and its sets are extremely flexible. This gen 1-esque unholy spawn is very hard to face with anything that can't force it out, thanks to Fire Spin's passive damage and Encore denying recovery moves. Tera Fairy is a good defensive typing, especially against other dragons. Multiscale is vital for scouting what moves can be Encored, so ideally trying to deny hazards is very important, but Heavy-Duty Boots over Leftovers can be considered. The speed Investment is for Jolly Kingambit while still having some reasonable bulk.

:sv/gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Gholdengo is another amazing Series 1 mon. Good as Gold is a great tool against everything really. Tera Fighting is used instead of the usual Ghost or Flying to give Focus Blast a bit more power and for the Dark resist which is useful against Kingambit and Hydreigon. Bulky Gholdengo is one of the team's greatest assets, it can stay in the field for multiple turns and still have some kick thanks to its high-BP moves. Covert Cloak further improves Gholdengo's staying presence by eliminating the risk of getting status drops and conditions from attacking moves.

:sv/volcarona:
Volcarona @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- U-turn

Specs Volcarona is a force to reckoned with. The most popular sets are Quiver Dance ones, so the immediate power from Specs sometimes surprises opponents. With Tera Fire Overheat does obscene amounts of damage, allowing it to muscle past the Unaware trio even when Dondozo and Skeledirge resist it in their natural types and besides Clodsire's massive special bulk. U-turn may seem an odd choice, but it does allow switch initiative against slower opponents.

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera-Fire Volcarona Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skeledirge: 142-168 (67.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera-Fire Volcarona Overheat vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Dondozo: 117-138 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tera-Fire Volcarona Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 164-194 (69.1 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:sv/baxcalibur:
Baxcalibur @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Tera Blast
- Ice Shard

Baxcalibur provides an alternative lead that isn't as passive as Tinkaton. Bolt Beam and Ice Quake are great coverage overall, and its immunity to burns make it hard to soften its blows.

:sv/quaquaval:
Quaquaval @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 76 Def / 116 SpD / 68 Spe
Careful Nature
- Aqua Step
- Substitute
- Roost
- Baton Pass

This Quaquaval spread was taken from japanese player Sigma, who finished 2nd place in Season 1. Their team can be found at https://shigumaaa.hatenablog.com/entry/2023/01/06/194112. It allows Quaquaval to take hits from 1 KOed foe Supreme Overlord Kingambit, or Tera Dark Black Glasses Kingambit on the physical side, along with Earthquake from Dondozo being a roll to break a Substitute, and on the special side it can survive a Timid Specs Draco Meteor from Hydreigon. The Speed allows it to outspeed Garchomp after one Aqua Step.

Quaquaval was the final team member added, initially I took as is from Sigma's team, but I thought that the triple Encore was too much, so I decided to make it Baton Pass instead. Quaquaval on its own is respectable, but passing Subs and Speed boosts to Dragonite, Gholdengo and Volcarona is where it truly shines, enabling its teammates. Since its focus isn't Encoring Dondozo anymore compared to Sigma's version, Sitrus is used over Rocky Helmet for a bit of extra longevity.

Threatlist

:garchomp: - Garchomp is annoying to face, its sets can be difficult to pin down especially from the lead position, Tinkaton normally walls the hazard stacking one but struggles against CB variants, especially Tera Fire ones, while Baxcalibur can take a hit from CB with Sash and Earthquake + Ice Shard, but the hazard stacking one can Tera and Dragon Tail it out. Dragonite can take it on with Multiscale and Tera, but it's still tough.

:toxapex: and :chansey:/:blissey: - While Volcarona makes switching in with stall hard, Toxapex can take Overheat and switch out or Recover, forcing Volc out. Likewise, Chansey and Blissey can also take on Volc and aren't particularly bothered by Gholdengo, even with Tera Fighting Focus Blast.

:kingambit: - It's the main reason why Gholdengo is Tera Fighting. Dragonite, Volcarona and Quaquaval can take it on but I like the extra layer of security when fighting against it.

:floatzel: and :palafin: - Those two hit way too hard, especially in rain.

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
How dare you use fire spin Dragonite!!!

overall the team looks really good. I would maybe try close combat or something on Quaquaval, or even shifting it over to a taunt + bulk up set altogether, as that seems to help with most of the mons in your threat list, step + taunt limits hazard chomp to one layer, obviously taunt + bulk up is great against the walls that are giving you issues, and the water resist + bulk up/roost can help against the rain mons potentially as well.

Dope team. Actually kinda hard to suggest improvements considering how well thought out everything is. I do think the duck is the most replaceable thing on the team and I would actually consider Water Tauros in that slot because it not only works vs gambit but the intimidate on floatzel and the palafin could be game changing. Though it's understandable why duck is there because of access to Roost, which is very valuable.

Great team.

Good of you to post an RMT! BSS ones so rare. That said all I wonder about is sash Bax. Bulky dragon sash is a thing, look at chomp, but that one has a 4x weakness so idk. At the minimum could you explain it?

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Good of you to post an RMT! BSS ones so rare. That said all I wonder about is sash Bax. Bulky dragon sash is a thing, look at chomp, but that one has a 4x weakness so idk. At the minimum could you explain it?
Hello! I'm using Sash since Bax is slower than other dragons, so it can trade better with them, and Ice/Ground/Electric coverage is really hard to resist(the only common mon off the top of my head that resists all 3 is Rotom-H), so Bax can get decent damage off against mostly everything if you pick the right move and if Icicle Spear hits more than 2 times lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)