The Band/Choir/Orchestra Thread

So, I am a flute/piano player. Recently, I placed 27/47 in all Houston band for flute, and only twelve chairs were offered. I bombed phase 1, and aced phased 2, but in the end, 1 screwed me over.

And all that was going through my head when I was auditioning was I want to play Pokémon when I get home.
Texas music competitions (I'm guessing TMEA) is ridiculously competitive. I did it for choir all four years, and it's incredibly difficult. If you're not a senior, there's always more opportunities, and bad auditions are definitely the best thing to learn from (speaking from experience).

Texas music competitions (I'm guessing TMEA) is ridiculously competitive. I did it for choir all four years, and it's incredibly difficult. If you're not a senior, there's always more opportunities, and bad auditions are definitely the best thing to learn from (speaking from experience).

Hell yeah

My band director saw our results at TMEA. Out of everyone in my class, I had made one of the highest places (I’m a level below top). He refuses to give me any first parts ever, as we do separate concerts. He gives it to someone who doesn’t deserve it, and never earned it.

I give up.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
https://vocaroo.com/i/s04i7bIHStZG

That's a fugue I started writing. It starts with the subject in D minor, continues with the answer in G minor and then goes back and forth between D minor and G minor.

Composing the counterpoints for the first answer was the hardest thing to do out of everything and I have no idea how to continue it.

I figured it'd be cool to post this here because wynaut.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
First post of the year for this thread, lol!

Anyway, good day, everyone! Allow me to share to you an excerpt of what I have been doing over the past months: composing an English Liturgical songbook for the whole Mass (for Ordinary Time). It was March 2017 when I got inspired and ended up composing the very first piece for this project, and things progressed from there. However, after I have composed five other pieces apart from that flagship piece, I got stumped and ended up reviewing what I have just done because some of the output I did wasn't exactly satisfactory to me, thus I made another melody on some of the existing compositions (not to mention my laptop died last April 29 before it got eventually fixed).

It was December 2017 when things started clicking again; the third variation of "Alleluia" has finally been made and I got satisfied with the output, and then I managed to digitize the Entrance Hymn whose choral parts were handwritten last May. Fast forward to today, I have been working on "Gloria" for the past week (see picture below), and I aim to finish the piano parts by today. If that would be the case, 8 down, 4 to go.

gloria4.png

akaFila

butterscotch love
Oh, band was my bread and butter through school.

Marching Season: Snare[You match grip loyalists are weak af, js]/Tenors[Headass fucks who call them quads can foh]. The battery was the highlight of our school when I made my run through HS, so that was lovely. Blackout pep rallies were lit af ||| Contest/Concert Season: Why I'm a percussionist, not a "drummer." Flexibility and being well-rounded is what you need in this section.

Freshy - Finished 2nd to the current captain at tryouts before the year started during our summer work. Lol demoted from snare to tenors because I was out of town and couldn't make it to the line retreat which was literally a day and a half long. This was the only year we competed in a battery competition, and we swept at each section. ||| TMEA: Only freshman to advance to state on a solo. First to advance to state on a 4-mallet solo for the school. [Bruh, the blisters though... I went through so many band-aids] Think I placed with a 2nd division at state level, which was a shock at the time because I left the room confident. Judge was extra stingy that year, even if 2nd is technically great still.

Sophy - Again moved off snare, this time to plug a hole at tenors because a player at the time got kicked out. #mvp ||| TMEA: Ran with another 4-mallet solo, but it was just a poor spring for me. Didn't get the sheet music until about two weeks beforehand, and just never really got comfortable with it. Came away with a 2nd division at regions and failed to advance to state.

Junior - Finally home on snare. Picked up the captain position. Literally the day of contest during a morning run-through a yellow-jacket stung me right between a pair of fingers on my right hand[Which ider], so I went through our contest show with a swollen finger. Awkward enough as it is, but we decided to add some stick tosses into our part to slap some stank on it. Sketchiest moment of my music career trying to do that without dropping one via awkward swollen finger. ||| TMEA: Repeat of freshman year. Advanced to state on a 4-mallet again, but left with another 2nd division. This time was clearly on me though as I literally forgot two mf notes in the middle of the piece. Wasn't even nervous just simply forgot. That was fun. I'd link the solo I did, but I honestly can't remember the name at all. All the others were immediate to remember, but this one is just a blank :psyduck:

Senior - Same as junior really. Captain/snare. ||| TMEA: I decided to change it up being the final run and went in with a snare solo. lol I didn't even make it to regional though because I missed the bus. Oops?

College - I started out in a pep band on tenors, but I had to drop out mid semester due to cubital tunnel in my left elbow. Was a temporary issue as it's simply a pinched nerve, but it's not fun at all

Oh, band was my bread and butter through school.

Marching Season: Snare[You match grip loyalists are weak af, js]/Tenors[Headass fucks who call them quads can foh]. The battery was the highlight of our school when I made my run through HS, so that was lovely. Blackout pep rallies were lit af ||| Contest/Concert Season: Why I'm a percussionist, not a "drummer." Flexibility and being well-rounded is what you need in this section.

Freshy - Finished 2nd to the current captain at tryouts before the year started during our summer work. Lol demoted from snare to tenors because I was out of town and couldn't make it to the line retreat which was literally a day and a half long. This was the only year we competed in a battery competition, and we swept at each section. ||| TMEA: Only freshman to advance to state on a solo. First to advance to state on a 4-mallet solo for the school. [Bruh, the blisters though... I went through so many band-aids] Think I placed with a 2nd division at state level, which was a shock at the time because I left the room confident. Judge was extra stingy that year, even if 2nd is technically great still.

Sophy - Again moved off snare, this time to plug a hole at tenors because a player at the time got kicked out. #mvp ||| TMEA: Ran with another 4-mallet solo, but it was just a poor spring for me. Didn't get the sheet music until about two weeks beforehand, and just never really got comfortable with it. Came away with a 2nd division at regions and failed to advance to state.

Junior - Finally home on snare. Picked up the captain position. Literally the day of contest during a morning run-through a yellow-jacket stung me right between a pair of fingers on my right hand[Which ider], so I went through our contest show with a swollen finger. Awkward enough as it is, but we decided to add some stick tosses into our part to slap some stank on it. Sketchiest moment of my music career trying to do that without dropping one via awkward swollen finger. ||| TMEA: Repeat of freshman year. Advanced to state on a 4-mallet again, but left with another 2nd division. This time was clearly on me though as I literally forgot two mf notes in the middle of the piece. Wasn't even nervous just simply forgot. That was fun. I'd link the solo I did, but I honestly can't remember the name at all. All the others were immediate to remember, but this one is just a blank :psyduck:

Senior - Same as junior really. Captain/snare. ||| TMEA: I decided to change it up being the final run and went in with a snare solo. lol I didn't even make it to regional though because I missed the bus. Oops?

College - I started out in a pep band on tenors, but I had to drop out mid semester due to cubital tunnel in my left elbow. Was a temporary issue as it's simply a pinched nerve, but it's not fun at all
TMEA is super competitive, but what region did you play for?

Euphonos

Another bump for the thread, yay!

Good day, everyone! My high school choir gave me the most meaningful birthday gift no other gift could ever possibly give. For eight years, I actually wanted my high school choir to perform my arrangements, but my high school conductor rejected most of my arrangements, but it was very recent that he called me to arrange some of their pieces for their performances, and it was last March 3 when one of my choral arrangements has finally come to life. This piece may need some refining based on this video; I'm happy they have performed it nonetheless. Enjoy!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Another bump for the thread, yay!

Good day, everyone! My high school choir gave me the most meaningful birthday gift no other gift could ever possibly give. For eight years, I actually wanted my high school choir to perform my arrangements, but my high school conductor rejected most of my arrangements, but it was very recent that he called me to arrange some of their pieces for their performances, and it was last March 3 when one of my choral arrangements has finally come to life. This piece may need some refining based on this video; I'm happy they have performed it nonetheless. Enjoy!

Very nice. Could you send me the sheet music? I am always looking for new music to perform with my choirs!

Euphonos

Very nice. Could you send me the sheet music? I am always looking for new music to perform with my choirs!
Sadly, I cannot simply give you this choral arrangement of “Pusong Salesiano” (“Heart of the Salesian” in Filipino) due to its message being exclusively disseminated to a certain religious order.

However, I am willing to compose / arrange a song for (one of) your choir(s), if you’d want (although I’d start by June since I have lots of projects in queue up until May). PM me if you wish to push through with this negotiation, and I am happy to oblige. :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1taeDi_W0ChcIDsoLSGN-6_FoyxkQt2mu/view

Wrote this brief, extremely simple choral piece 5 years ago @3AM about a mentally abusive male roommate.

There's a brief intentional silence between 00:37--00:41 to express the process of reflection during grief before a sudden, disturbing revelation.

I never knew
=========

Lyrics:

No-one really knows, about the truth.
Yet, here I am, in the dark, in the shadow of your heart.
------------- [Silence] ---------
Yet I never knew, that you always knew the truth.

[/end]

I'm a sucker for dense, dissonant sonorous chords. This taste was definitely influenced by my infatuation with pieces like Water Night (watch please!) by Eric Whitacre. The last thing I can remember about this piece was that I got in trouble for trying to submit it for my theory class part-writing assignment since I broke too many part-writing rules, even tho it was in the name of art :sweat:

I love pieces that speak to something so beyond the comprehension, expectations, and feelings of surface level consciousness and basic human emotion, Words and sounds that burst through the veil of temporality and eternity -- that burst through the bindings which shackle the mind and perception away from the deepest intimacies of a subconscious or astral-like experience and understanding.

Last edited:

Euphonos

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1taeDi_W0ChcIDsoLSGN-6_FoyxkQt2mu/view

I'm a sucker for dense, dissonant sonorous chords. This taste was definitely influenced by my infatuation with pieces like Water Night (watch please!) by Eric Whitacre. The last thing I can remember about this piece was that I got in trouble for trying to submit it for my theory class part-writing assignment since I broke too many part-writing rules, even tho it was in the name of art :sweat:

I love pieces that speak to something so beyond the comprehension, expectations, and feelings of surface level consciousness and basic human emotion, Words and sounds that burst through the veil of temporality and eternity -- that burst through the bindings which shackle the mind and perception away from the deepest intimacies of a subconscious or astral-like experience and understanding.
I saw this post so I got summoned, lol!

Anyway, I have detected one of the most glaring flaws in your work, and allow me to say that you have to be considerate in terms of the vocal range. It looks way too ambitious that no choir in the right mind would sing your work. I appreciate your effort, though! :)

I saw this post so I got summoned, lol!

Anyway, I have detected one of the most glaring flaws in your work, and allow me to say that you have to be considerate in terms of the vocal range. It looks way too ambitious that no choir in the right mind would sing your work. I appreciate your effort, though! :)

Yeah, that's the exact same thing my voice teacher told me LOL. She said I'd have to use instruments to cover for the vocal pitch extremes I put into this.

RIP ._.

Euphonos

Hello, everyone!

Apologies for bumping this thread again; I hope you guys listen to this! It's my all-male choral arrangement of a Japanese pop song which happened to be a hit there while the choir I was part of embarked on a tour in Japan. Hope you guys enjoy it! :)

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
I used to be in both choir and band back in elementary and middle school. I didn't stay in choir for too long, as I eventually grew bored of it. I played the flute in band for a few years and I was remarkably decent at it. I enjoyed it as well. However, it all went downhill when I eventually got braces in middle school. As was to be expected, braces affected my ability to properly play the flute and I ended up losing all of my motivation to play any longer, so I gave it up. I kinda wish now that I would have tried a bit harder to stick with it. One day perhaps I will pick up a flute again in the future, who knows.

I also played the keyboard for a short period in middle school, it was a fun hobby and I even got to play Pomp and Circumstance at a high school graduation one year.

I got the privilege to play Lincoln Shire Posy early this year, was amazing. I also just recently played (about two weeks ago) Duke Ellingtons the Three Black Kings, Rimsky Korsakov's Cappriccio Espagnol, and parts of both of Bizet's L'arlesienne suites. I play bass trombone, and if you know anything about the solo in the 4th movement of the second L'arlesienne piece, you know that it is very difficult on bass trombone. Suprisingly I played the shit out of it at the performance, far better than any rehearsal, so thats good

I am a member of my school's orchestra, and I am a violist. A lot of people say that I'm not exactly lazy, but I just don't put a lot of effort into what I do for the class due to the fact that it is an easy grade for me. However, due to what's happening in the world right now, I've never found any motivation to play my instrument. Perhaps after all of this is over, I can play with some form of motivation or confidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)