The Blades Of Battle (OU RMT)

Introduction: Growing bored of my old teams, I recently decided to create a new one. I wanted this one to be unique in some way, however, but I couldn't decide what about it I wanted to be unique. After a bit of contemplation, I decided I would make a team centralized around a single Pokemon. Which Pokemon? I decided that, too. After much deliberation, I decided I would build my team based on my favourite Pokemon: Gallade. However, the team hasn't been working out how I thought it would, at that is what I would like you to help me with. So, here for all of you team raters, is mt Gallade-centralized team.

Team At a Glance:

Team Building Process:
Well, to Start, I obviously took the Pokemon I would base this team around, and placed it into the team. So, Gallade went in.

Next, I needed some Pokemon who could work well with Gallade, to cover it's weaknesses. Gallade's main problem is faster Physical Attackers, which a Magnezone can easily get rid of in a few hits. Gyarados can take whatever Magnezone and Gallade can't, finding it a spot on this team.

An In-Depth Look:

The Lead/Baton Passer:

Ninjask@Leftovers
Jolly Nature
176 HP/ 252 Atk/ 80 Spe
Substitute
Swords Dance
Baton Pass
X-Scissor

My lead also serves as a way to get Gallade some boosts. His ability gives him some free Speed Boosts, and swords Dance gives Gallade some much-appreciated Attack Boosts. Generally, First turn I sub up, and depending on whether or not my foe attacks, either substitute again or Swords Dance. Lefties+the HP EVs allow it to use Substitute 5 times, and that allows me to get some much-appreciated boosts to Gallade.

The Utility:

Magnezone@Choice Scarf
Naive
4 Atk/ 252Sp. A/ 252 Spe
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Fire
Flash Cannon
Explosion

Magnezone is an excellent pair with Gallade, dealing with a lot of what counters Gallade the most- faster Physical Attackers. It's ability to trap the likes of Lucario and Jirachi and kill them with HP Fire is excellent, and it can also deal with Gyarados thanks to STAB Thunderbolt. Magnezone also resists both of Gallade's only two weaknesses, Flying and Ghost, while Gallade resists Fighting and can usually take a Fire-Type attack. Scarf Magnezone ensures I outspeed what I'm trying to take out with it.

The Star:

Gallade@Life Orb
Adamant
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Night Slash
Close Combat
Ice Punch
Psycho Cut

And, the core of this team. Gallade is, in my opinion, a vastly underrated Pokemon. With his great Attack stat and good Special Defense, he can take a few hits and hit back hard. This set is designed for all-out offense, and offers great coverage. Close Combat and Psycho Cut are Gallade's main forms of Attack, offering two excellent STAB Attacks for Gallade. Ice Punch and Night Slash are helpful for taking out Pokemon who could otherwise hurt him, or just coverage in general.

The Other Helper:

Gyarados@Leftovers
Adamant Nature
156 HP/ 72 Atk/ 96 Def/ 184 Spe
Dragon Dance
Taunt
Waterfall
Stone Edge

Gyarados is an excellent paring with both Gallade and Magnezone, being able to clean up whatever is left after Gallade's sweep as well as take Ground Attacks directed at Magnezone. I went with the Bulky Dragon Dance set purely because I needed some bulk in the team to take a few hits.

The Special Tank:

Lanturn@Leftovers
Calm
40 HP/ 76 Def/ 140 Sp. A/ 252 Sp. D
Surf
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Heal Bell

I chose Lanturn as my Special Attack taker because I felt it worked well with the team. It has two reliable STAB attacks in the form of Surf and Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam to provide extra coverage. I chose to put Heal Bell on this set so I could have a way to remove annoying Status effects on Gallade and any other Pokemon, allowing them to continue to do their job. It can also take Electric attacks directed at Gyarados.

The Physical Wall:

Hippowdon@Leftovers
Impish
252 HP/ 168 Def/ 88 Sp. D
Earthquake
Slack-Off
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge

I chose Hippowdon as my Physical Wall for two reasons. One, it can set up Stealth Rock, and two, it can take the hits and has a reliable recovery to continue taking hits. Hippowdon's Ground typing is also a warm welcome to the team. Earthquake is there because, well, it's Earthquake, and Stone edge to improve coverage. Slack-Off allows Hippowdon to heal off damage caused, allowing it to continue taking hits.

Well, that's my team. It is a solid team, but it could do a lot better than it has been doing. That is why I ask you, the team raters, to help me with it.

One problem with Gallade is his trash physical defense. Even if you manage to get him jacked on boosts, after a few turns of Life Orb recoil and Sandstorm he'll be very revenge-able (thinking Scizor or Metagross Bullet Punch here, mostly). So I would reallocate 176 of those speed EVs to HP, giving you a spread of 180 HP / 252 Att / 76 Spe. This will allow you to outrun positive nature +1 base 80s after 2 boosts. Higher speed would allow you to function better with just 1 boost, but if you can't get 2 with Ninjask then it's not a very efficient plan anyway.

As for the moveset, I think you're going to need Stone Edge on there. Otherwise I can see Gyarados coming in and ending a sweep very fast. It hits Salamence and Dragonite nearly as hard anyway. Something like Gliscor could still be a problem.

I recently saw what looked like a very effective Lanturn set for OU play, but I don't think you should use it as a special wall, as it has no reliable form of recovery.

As for team structure changes... I don't like the idea of starting with Ninjask. First of all, it's shut down fairly easily. Also, you focus a bit on removing Gallade's counters with Magnezone and Gyarados... but if you start with Ninjask you would have to pass straight to Gallade, which means you won't be dealing with any of his counters.

Also, I don't think you need dedicated physical and special walls. The core of the team (Gallade / Magnezone / Gyarados) is fairly offensive, so I think you want to try to keep on pace with that. Hippowdon is probably hurting you more than helping you with that sand, since Magnezone is your only immunity to it, and it's definitely going to put an end to your Gallade sweep along with Life Orb recoil and priority moves.

I would replace Hippowdon with a Ground-immunity. Your only other is Gyarados, but Gyarados will not last long taking 25% from SR. One thing that could work in this position is Gliscor, as it has Roost for recovery and only takes 12.5% from SR. Uxie has a lot of potential for this team, IMO. It's dedicated to setting up a specific sweep, so Dual Screens could be very helpful. Thunder Wave support could also benefit Gallade if you can't pass speed. It's of an entirely different class, but I'd also recommend Starmie for spinning purposes, as SR bothers Gyara and Ninjask a lot.

I would suggest moving Ninjask back and using an alternate lead. With SR down you can bring Ninjask out later in the game and set up, and you actually have a chance to eliminate some of Gallade's counters.

In summary:
- Change Gallade's spread to 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe.
- Stone Edge > Ice Punch on Gallade.
- Replace Hippowdown.
- Don't use Ninjask as your lead.

Hello

I agree with the above poster about Hippowdon being replaced. You said Skarmory in your team building procces an I think that's an excellent choice. He also has great physical defence, he can set up entry hazards, has access to a reliable recover move and what he has over Hippowdon is an immunity to Ground type moves and the fact he lures out Electric and Fire type moves all who are covered my Lanturn. By luring out the Electric type pokemon early in the game you can deal with them before Gyarados can start his sweep.

I would also like to suggest you'd change your Lanturn's moveset a little. Thunder Wave or Discharge can replace Thunderbolt and Toxic comes in place of Surf (or Ice Beam if Heatran tends to be a problem).

All the rest is already covered by greg3064.
Hope this helped and good luck with the team!

Hello.

Your team itself is a fairly well designed team but i find that your "wall pokemon" will probably be more of a hindrance than a help in agreement with delko I would advise swapping for ground immunity pokemon.

my first suggestion would be to swap your hippowdon with a zapdos if you wish to keep it as a physical wall I would suggest this set-up.

Zapdos

nature - bold
item - leftovers
evs
248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe

Thunderbolt
Roost
Hp Ice
Roar

If you wish to change it to a sweeper i would suggest this set-up

Zapdos
Nature - timid
item - choice scalf
evs
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Thunderbolt
Hp ice
U-turn
heat wave

For your lanturn i would suggest changing it to a Vaporeon if you want a special wall and a Suicune if your looking for an attacker.

Vaporeon

Item leftovers
nature bold
Evs
252 Hp/ 252 SpD / 4 Def

Wish
Protect
Ice Beam
Surf

for your Attacker i suggest a offensive Suicune

item - leftovers
nature - bold
ev4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Calm Mind
Surf
Hidden Power Electric
Ice Beam

As i really dislike ninjask leads i would agree again and say replace your lead with a more useful one to your team the lack of a stealth rocker if you replace hippowdon would mean you could probably do with a SR lead such as swampert or Azelf.

good luck with your team and hope this helped (and yes there All Smogon sets)

You should change your party so instead of using ninjask for speed boosts, make a team about para support. Ninjask is easly stopable, so you should change too something like azelf or aerodactal for SR. then give gallade swords dance (or bulk up). Give t-wave too both lantern and gyarados. Give mangnazone discharge over t-bolt. Change gallade's nature too jolly, so you can out run more threats. Change hippo too porgon2 or defensive zapdos (with t-wave). your goal of this is too paralize everything, so slow gallade can outrun and sweep them. (sorry I sort changed your team alot)

I wouldn't go that overkill. 1-2 Thunder Wave users is plenty; otherwise you're just wasting moveslots.

And if you have 1-2 Thunder Waves on the team, you shouldn't use Discharge over Thunderbolt. The added power on Thunderbolt helps a lot with some neutral hits. Since you have HP Fire over Ice, for example, you can hit +0 Mences with Thunderbolt for at least decent damage.

That still leaves you vulnerable to electric immunities like Grounds, Jolteon, Lanturn, and Electivire. Using a physical Jirachi variant with Body Slam can spread paralysis to those at a 60% rate. Scarfing it seems like it would be best, but that leaves you open to Ghosts, which means something like Rotom is free to status your switch-in and Subtitute Gengar can... set up a sub.

If you go the paralysis route to set up your sweep, definitely do that. But I think you should do something to take care of ghosts anyway, as they will get supereffective STAB on Gallade and may outspeed you without boosts/paralysis. Scarf Tyranitar seems like an alright route but it's sort of risky with Will-o-wisp from Rotom and Focus Blast on Gengar (Jolly ScarfTar outspeeds +0 Gengar, but with a sub up you'll need 2 hits to take it out).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)