SS OU The Clown Police (Gen 8 Stall)

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Hello! Here I have with me a cursed team. Cursed in the sense that it's a stall team; long, strenuous, tiresome... but what if you could capitalize on the opponent? My team is all about getting into your opponent's head and capitalizing on their impatience through means of constant switching, hazard stacking, and Nasty Plot sweeps.

Please, welcome to the stage: The Clown Police.

1574464118174.png

1574464481039.png

honk honk @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Strength Sap
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade

This is a relatively standard Corsola set, but along with the Ferropex core, it's a complete nightmare. Not only is it a reliable Rock setter, but it is able to whittle down physical attackers phenomenally well thanks to Strength Sap (which also serves as recovery) and Will-O-Wisp. Night Shade is an offensive option so Corsola isn't completely passive, which not only serves as a last ditch effort against Taunt, but is also useful for picking off certain Pokemon that are within a certain HP range and overall weakening them for the rest of the squad. Sap and Wisp are also great compliments to the Spdef investment I have allotted into this absolute shit stain. Its pure Ghost typing is a phenomenal compliment to Ferrothorn, Obstagoon, and Hydreigon, all of whom can safely pivot into Corsola to stall out a Dynamax or to create what I call "defensive momentum". Corviknight can also pivot into this screwball if it really wants to.

1574464481039.png

1574464539736.png

joe @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn is a blessing (curse) to this tier. As a nice compliment to Corsola, it provides an extra layer of hazards courtesy of Spikes and provides Thunder Wave support that can be great for Hydreigon in the late game. Thunder Wave's most nifty use, however, is against the tyrannical Gyarados and Hawlucha, of which it cripples beautifully. Full on defense investment is preferred on this set to better wall Gyarados, and is a good compliment to Toxapex and Corsola, which appreciate Ferrothorn's typing and defensive investment. Most notably, however, is its activity in the blursed Ferropex core, of which it plays a key role in (i hate this game). Power Whip is preferred on this build to handle the occasional Unaware Quagsire of which is run in part to counter the Dynamax infestation.
1574464481039.png

1574464953765.png

joseph 2 @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

I hate this dumb thing, but god, is it useful as a pivot. Not only is Toxic Spikes support great for stalling out the opponent and whittling them down while I pivot around a lot, but Haze really rounds the whole squad out. Haze not only bodies setup Pokemon all the more, but it can condition the opponent into a switch, which is great for the squad. Regenerator, Recover, and Black Sludge keep Toxapex alive to do what it does best, and given how useful of a defensive pivot it is, there's no reason this thing shouldn't be rocking with the Clown Police. It's also apart of the fabled Ferropex core, which goes without saying; its SpDef investment, along with Corsola, compliments Ferrothorn's defensive investment and creates a good switching/hazard stacking core between the two. Its defensive typing is also a godsend for the team (TSpike removal is appreciated as well).
1574464481039.png

father @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Atk / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Obstruct
- Parting Shot
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch

Obstagoon is a very niche pick, especially in such a power driven meta. However, this thing has some options my team especially appreciates. For one, its typing. A ghost immunity is not only a great compliment for Corsola, but it also provides for a useful STAB in Dark, which mauls opposing Corsola and rids of its cursed Eviolite. Obstruct is useful not only for its secondary effect (which is great for Ferrothorn's Power Whip), but provides a form of protection that can be used to scout out Dynamaxes and opposing moves as a whole. Additionally, Obstagoon is graced with the incredible Parting Shot, which not only overall weakens the opposition, but, thanks to Obstagoon's lack of speed investment, acts as a slow, safe means of switchout. Obstagoon's resistances and overall solid bulk provide for a great means of pivoting and dealing damage; in fact, it's because of this that it runs Heavy-Duty Boots in order to minimize hazard damage. Thunder Punch is a compliment to Ferrothorn's Thunder Wave in order to handle Hawluchas and Gyarados, and is invested to OHKO a common, offensive Gyarados at max HP.

220+ Atk Mimikyu Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 332-392 (100.3 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(Mimikyu shares Obstagoon's base attack)

Overall, Obstagoon serves as a useful offensive pivot, and has versatile options to support the team.

1574464481039.png

1574466221625.png

polka dot afro @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse

Perhaps the Pokemon that benefits the most from the build of the squad, Hydreigon, the boomer buster of a thousand suns. Most people would scoff at the thought of a setup sweeper on a stall based build, but through my hours of labbing the team, I've discovered that Hydreigon benefits tremendously from the conditioning the stall build has on the opponents. Substitute is a fantastic way of capitalizing on predicted switches and makes use of the conditioning stall has on the opponent by grooming an aggressive play out of the opposition. With this in mind, Hydreigon only needs one Nasty Plot to begin wrecking house. Earth Power and Dark Pulse provides magnanimous coverage for the types they hold, and can dent if not blatantly knock out most top threats. The conditioning of the build in conjunction with Substitute creates absolute devastation in the opponents, and can even win games early on if played patiently yet particularly. Leftovers is also held for this reason; it gives Hydreigon much needed passive recovery, and also maximizes Substitute potential. It also helps that it has a ground immunity as courtesy of Levitate, which makes it great as a switch in on Galarian Darmanitan's begrudging Earthquakes.
1574464481039.png

1574466737580.png

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Roost

The pivot of the squad; Corviknight. Despite seeming very passive, Corviknight, Obstagoon, and Toxapex in conjunction with one another are great pivots, as they both almost perfectly cover each others' weaknesses in the form of direct immunities (or beefy resistances). They together are phenomenal for conditioning the opponent into a thoughtlessly aggressive playstyle. The EV spread is so Corviknight is able to outspeed uninvested Base 70s, which is great for most variants of Mantine and some variants of Bisharp (Skarmory too, if it were here). The rest goes into beefing its HP and Defense stats. It runs Defog as a last ditch effort for hazard control if the opponent is able to get Spikes/Rocks up, and U-Turn is for momentum and to maximize Corviknight's pivoting potential. Lastly, Taunt is a boon against Corsola and the similarly common Ferropex core as a means to stall break opposing stall (also to just outright prevent conversely defensive play). Corviknight's defensive typing is also much appreciated and adds an extra layer of defensive backbone to the team.

All in all, this team is very funny. Before you go, though, allow me to show you some funny replays I've saved with this awful team. They're not very high ladder, but they show just how annoying and blatantly infuriating the team can be.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1014793076 (Hydreigon bby)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1014801623 (Someone's panicking...)

Thanks for reading! If you want to make people cry, you can find the importable here.

Corsola-Galar @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Strength Sap
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

Obstagoon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Atk / 44 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Obstruct
- Parting Shot
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Roost

Attachments

that's honestly hilarious. does parting shot actually work like that in the games? Because holy cannoli that's something i was not expecting
No clue I don't have the game but I had no clue that would happen haha but now I know what to do vs mirror armor

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
Yo mangarrow,

You got a decent team here. FerroPex+Corsola is a great core, and I like your take on it. However, I see that your team has potential to be improved, and my aim is exactly to do this. Ok, let's go straight into my first SS OU rate!!

Major Changes
:ditto:>
: so, the only major change I'm going to suggest is putting Ditto over Obstagoon. Ditto, in my opinion, is nearly mandatory on semistall teams like yours in order to provide a strong form of counterplay to a lot of snowballing sweepers that terrorize the metagame. One of the greatest Ditto's assets is its ability to pull of reverse sweeps, which can sometimes be rather easy to set up if your opponent is careless enough. Even just the presence of Ditto will put a ton of pressure on offensive players, giving you more freedom in actions. Overall, the purple blob would be way more valuable addition to your team than the very niche and not good Pokemon named Obstagoon.

Minor Changes
: my first minor suggestion is changing your Corviknight's set to Bulk Up one instead of utility. This will give you a bulky win condition which can capitalize on threats like Excadrill and Mimikyu and appreciates all the hazards your team lays while still providing a lot of defensive utility. Bulk Up Corviknight also makes for a nice Dynamaxer, since Flying is a good offensive type, and Speed boosts coupled with Bulk Up boosts make Corviknight insanely hard to stop. Regarding the ability, I find Pressure more useful than Mirror Armor, since it can stall out Toxapex's Haze, which otherwise wouldn't let Corviknight set up, as well as other moves like Ferrothorn's hazards. I also suggest a specially defensive EV spread in 248 HP / 208 SpD / 52 Spe with a Careful nature, since Bulk Up boosts Defense anyway. As you can see, I kept your Speed benchmark.
: I suggest you to make your Corsola-G's spread a physically defensive one: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with a Bold nature. This spread enables Corsola-G to take full advantage of its Strength Sap and to withstand powerful blows from the likes of Gyarados and Darmanitan-G.
: removing Earth Power in favor of Flash Cannon improves your Hydreigon's matchup versus Fairies like Grimmsnarl and Clefable.

~~~

That's all for my rate! The improved version of your team is more suited to the current state of metagame. While it definitely has some tough matchups, most of the time you will have enough tools to turn the battle in your favor and win it. I hope you'll enjoy this version of your squad! Have a good day! Below you can find the importable - just click the sprites.

Last edited:

Alstone

Banned deucer.
I am agreeing with Egor on the ability on Corvinknight, tagging along that I believe Pressure is a better ability for it when it uses Defog. All of the pokemon that have been clicking Stealth Rock have been things Corvinknight beats on it's own (Hippowdon, Excadrill, Ferrothorn). Pressure kind of makes you think twice about wasting a move that have a valuable Power Point numbers. If Stealth Rock has 32 PP and Pressure decreases it to where you only can use 16, and you have 24 Defog Power Points, that basic math is simple to where you can always go and click Corvinknight whenever you find out who your opponents Stealth Rocker is. Test it out!

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Yo mangarrow,

You got a decent team here. FerroPex+Corsola is a great core, and I like your take on it. However, I see that your team has potential to be improved, and my aim is exactly to do this. Ok, let's go straight into my first SS OU rate!!

Major Changes
: so, the only major change I'm going to suggest is putting Ditto over Obstagoon. Ditto, in my opinion, is nearly mandatory on semistall teams like yours in order to provide a strong form of counterplay to a lot of snowballing sweepers that terrorize the metagame. One of the greatest Ditto's assets is its ability to pull of reverse sweeps, which can sometimes be rather easy to set up if your opponent is careless enough. Even just the presence of Ditto will put a ton of pressure on offensive players, giving you more freedom in actions. Overall, the purple blob would be way more valuable addition to your team than the very niche and not good Pokemon named Obstagoon.

Minor Changes
: my first minor suggestion is changing your Corviknight's set to Bulk Up one instead of utility. This will give you a bulky win condition which can capitalize on threats like Excadrill and Mimikyu and appreciates all the hazards your team lays while still providing a lot of defensive utility. Bulk Up Corviknight also makes for a nice Dynamaxer, since Flying is a good offensive type, and Speed boosts coupled with Bulk Up boosts make Corviknight insanely hard to stop. Regarding the ability, I find Pressure more useful than Mirror Armor, since it can stall out Toxapex's Haze, which otherwise wouldn't let Corviknight set up, as well as other moves like Ferrothorn's hazards. I also suggest a specially defensive EV spread in 248 HP / 208 SpD / 52 Spe with a Careful nature, since Bulk Up boosts Defense anyway. As you can see, I kept your Speed benchmark.
: I suggest you to make your Corsola-G's spread a physically defensive one: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD with a Bold nature. This spread enables Corsola-G to take full advantage of its Strength Sap and to withstand powerful blows from the likes of Gyarados and Darmanitan-G.
: removing Earth Power in favor of Flash Cannon improves your Hydreigon's matchup versus Fairies like Grimmsnarl and Clefable.

~~~

That's all for my rate! The improved version of your team is more suited to the current state of metagame. While it definitely has some tough matchups, most of the time you will have enough tools to turn the battle in your favor and win it. I hope you'll enjoy this version of your squad! Have a good day! Below you can find the importable - just click the sprites.
Those are actually some phenomenal suggestions!! I really appreciate the effort you put into breaking down my team; I'll be implementing all of these suggestions for sure. Thank you very much! :>

How does this team deal with sub sweepers?
Yo mangarrow,

Major Changes

Minor Changes

~~~

Ngl obstagoon kinda shit on your team.. bulk up set has zero switchins and your only counterplay is losing a mon and revenging with ditto/hydre, which kinda sucks for stall.. id say try to fit body press on corviknight.. it's a niche pick sure but you pretty much lose to it at screen preview.

Sub NP hydreigon also destroys you, not very common but you're bound to see a few of these bad boys on the ladder at some point

what kind of heavy revisions are you thinking? i really like the idea of the team, but i would like to see a version of it that would work in the current meta

ausma

token smogon furry
OU Forum Leader
guys please let this team die. it was made in the pre-home/dlc dynamax meta and trust me when i say it is extremely outdated and needs a complete overhaul to even have a shot at succeeding in the current metagame

Yes please
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Taunt

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Curse
- Waterfall
- Recover
- Amnesia

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Charge Beam
- Stored Power
- Soft-Boiled

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Roost

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Taunt

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Curse
- Waterfall
- Recover
- Amnesia

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Charge Beam
- Stored Power
- Soft-Boiled

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Roost
This was a month ago so uh might not work anymore but give it a try
Edit : just ran it a few times again and it still seems to be working great

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)