The Difficult Video Game Boss Fights and How to Beat Them Thread

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
FLAMELURKER (Demon's Souls)

Okay, well, I only know how to beat this guy using magic. However, he was a very difficult boss and I thought that I should give a spot of help! First off, you NEED to equip some light armor and not be overburdened. Rolling is crucial!!

Next, your rings. I always use Adjudicator's Shield (it's in 5-1. If you can get past the skeletons it's pretty early on -- check out the wiki) + Regenerator's Ring + Cling Ring. You get some pretty ridiculous HP healing this way, and so if you can avoid Flamelurker, you are doing well. It means that you can stay on the defensive. I also use a Crescent Moon Falchion +5 (you can get a standard CMF at the very beginning of 5-1) and if melee situation arises, I use that.

Make sure that you have a LOT of good grasses (respective to what HP you are at; Crescent Moon Grass doesn't do shit at high level). Also get some Spices to replenish your magic. As for spells, your standard-royal-beginner-spell Soul Arrow will do fine.

Now, for the actual battle. Always keep your shield up, unless you need to recover stamina and are in no immediate danger. Know where your Spices and Grasses are. Stay locked onto Flamelurker -- you do NOT want to lose site of him! He's fast and powerful. Just roll to dodge his attacks, avoid him any way possible, and fire off a couple of Soul Arrows.

When he goes into BERSERK MODE, just try to beat him as quickly as possible. This doesn't mean that you should leave yourself wide open to attack, because he WILL one-shot you. Play carefully, but look hard for opportunities to fire off a Soul Arrow or two. It shouldn't take much to KO him once he's in this stage.

Good luck!

Boss: King Hippo
Game: Punch-Out featuring Mr. Dream (NES)
How to beat him: I have no freaking idea. I've beaten him countless times on the Wii version, but the NES one I can never seem to get his pants down. Help D:

1) Stand at far edge of range with a high-Res unit
2) Bumrush with anybody who doesn't get ORKOed (using 1- and 2-range appropriately)
3) ???
4) Dead.

If you don't want to get a map/don't remember where he is, 0) Torch staff and light the area near him up.
I think I made it to him once without dying, then I just tried to tank his every hit with Marcus and healed with Pent, but the only strategy I can think of after that is ensure that he hits 25 times without killing you in order to wear out his weapon. Yeah, fun.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Boss: King Hippo
Game: Punch-Out featuring Mr. Dream (NES)
How to beat him: I have no freaking idea. I've beaten him countless times on the Wii version, but the NES one I can never seem to get his pants down. Help D:
Wait until he flashes and shakes and winds up for one of those big punches, then punch him in the mouth when it's open. He'll drop his pants, and you'll get 8 punches at the belly button.

I think I made it to him once without dying, then I just tried to tank his every hit with Marcus and healed with Pent, but the only strategy I can think of after that is ensure that he hits 25 times without killing you in order to wear out his weapon. Yeah, fun.
Your problem is that you're using Marcus, who sucks.

Fuck. This. Guy.

How to beat: Ice Arrows and prayer. Mostly prayer. In fact, just prayer. Not even the Ice Arrows will help you out.

Your problem is that you're using Marcus, who sucks.
Re: Earlier: Do that, but when you see Lloyd, whale on him with everybody who doesn't die to him in one round, and make sure to do all of that in the same round. Pro tip: Have high-Defense units attack at 1-range (where Light Brand is Physical) and high-Resistance units attack at 2-range (where Light Brand is Special). He should drop fairly quickly; he isn't particularly bulky (ESPECIALLY if you're whipping out Marcus and another decent lancer or two, plus Pent). ZERG RUSH HIS SORRY ASS!!

Re: Latter: Your problem is that you're NOT using Marcus, who kicks ninety kinds of ass.

Fuck. This. Guy.

How to beat: Ice Arrows and prayer. Mostly prayer. In fact, just prayer. Not even the Ice Arrows will help you out.
For this one, I think I can help a tad.

Target either of his hands and shoot a quick arrow, then target the other while dodging its slapping attacks. After you've shot both hands, he'll get ready to charge at you shortly afterwords, so target the eye while he's preparing his attack and shoot it right as it draws near. Then, go to town with Jump Attacks or normal sword slashes. Since the sheild isn't used much if at all during this fight, the Giant's Knife or Biggoron's Sword can help speed things up. If you're arrow aim and reflexes aren't the best, try donning the Hoverboots so that the bouncing of the stage doesn't disrupt your aim.

I have no idea how one could get stuck on Bongo Bongo, he's like the easiest boss there is.

With King Hippo down, I'm currently stuck on the next challenger...

Boss: Great Tiger
Game: Punch-Out featuring Mr. Dream and Punch-Out!! (Wii)
How to beat him: I can't.
In the NES one, I have NO idea how to avoid his illusion attack, it's just too damn fast.

Stopped playing the Wii version when I got to GT too, he's just SOOO hard.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I have no idea how one could get stuck on Bongo Bongo, he's like the easiest boss there is.

Seriously. I find Bongo Bongo FUN.

With King Hippo down, I'm currently stuck on the next challenger...

Boss: Great Tiger
Game: Punch-Out featuring Mr. Dream and Punch-Out!! (Wii)
How to beat him: I can't.
In the NES one, I have NO idea how to avoid his illusion attack, it's just too damn fast.

Stopped playing the Wii version when I got to GT too, he's just SOOO hard.
Dude is so easy. When he hops back to do his illusion attack, hold down (or whatever block is on the Wii version) for each of his attacks. Block each one and he'll be dizzied, smack him in the face for a knockdown.

It's nuts how I haven't played that game in 15 years, yet remember all of it.

Giving help: To clear Boss Battles mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl on Intense difficulty, use Pokemon Trainer's Charizard the whole time, and spam Rock Smash. This is how I did it.

Also, general advice that will help you in any boss battle in any game: Don't get hit.

-------------------------

Asking for help: In Kid Icarus: Uprising, has anyone actually completed Boss Battles mode on Hard? I have no idea how I'll ever complete such a daunting challenge, even with my current weapon which is very good.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
Giving help: To clear Boss Battles mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl on Intense difficulty, use Pokemon Trainer's Charizard the whole time, and spam Rock Smash. This is how I did it.

Also, general advice that will help you in any boss battle in any game: Don't get hit.
I actually just dusted off Brawl two days ago and tried this again, I still haven't beaten it on Very Hard or Intense. I can get to Tabuu no problem, and I can take care of him pretty well, but I keep blowing my timing on the Red Rings of Death.

what's really frustrating about that is that it takes at least 10 minutes just to get to the guy (only to be killed in one hit by any of his moves)

You are bad, and you should feel bad for endorsing the use of the single most detrimental character in that game.
You're stuck in an FE6 mindset. Marcus in FE7 is a wonderful unit. His only bad points are his relatively low speed and resistance.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
You're stuck in an FE6 mindset. Marcus in FE7 is a wonderful unit. His only bad points are his relatively low speed and resistance.
Average stats for lv 20 Marcus 43.35 HP 20.7 Str 24.5 Skl 15.75 Speed 13.7 Luck 12.85 Def 14.65 Res

Marcus is quite poor. Good skill, mediocre HP, Str, and Res. Terrible Speed, Luck, and Defense. Obviously, he's fine in basically any mode but Hector Hard Mode, but that goes for about every character in the game so... yeah.

On topic: I can't really think of a hard Fire Emblem Boss (certainly not Lloyd). Maybe Berserk Ashnard on Path of Radiance Hard Mode? Decent Ike + Royal + Physic Staves make it very manageable though. Fire Emblem bosses are usually very easy, it is getting to them that is the harder part.

Average stats for lv 20 Marcus 43.35 HP 20.7 Str 24.5 Skl 15.75 Speed 13.7 Luck 12.85 Def 14.65 Res

Marcus is quite poor. Good skill, mediocre HP, Str, and Res. Terrible Speed, Luck, and Defense. Obviously, he's fine in basically any mode but Hector Hard Mode, but that goes for about every character in the game so... yeah.

On topic: I can't really think of a hard Fire Emblem Boss (certainly not Lloyd). Maybe Berserk Ashnard on Path of Radiance Hard Mode? Decent Ike + Royal + Physic Staves make it very manageable though. Fire Emblem bosses are usually very easy, it is getting to them that is the harder part.
Marcus is basically essential in Hector Hard Mode if you want a good ranking though, especially in the early chapters.

Berserk Ashnard is easily cheesed by Wrath/Resolve Ike, but I agree with the rest of your statement there with one exception off the top of my head: Dheginsea in Radiant Dawn. Fuck that guy.

You are bad, and you should feel bad for endorsing the use of the single most detrimental character in that game.

Except that, even if he doesn't grow much, his contributions in the early- and midgame are so huge that it's incredibly difficult to do well on HHM without him.

He's also absolutely vital for FE6 Hard, just saying.

I actually just dusted off Brawl two days ago and tried this again, I still haven't beaten it on Very Hard or Intense. I can get to Tabuu no problem, and I can take care of him pretty well, but I keep blowing my timing on the Red Rings of Death.
I always stay near the middle of the platform and alternate sideways dodges (e.g. left-right-left). It seems easier to time it that way.

In response to Fire Emblem stuff, most bosses are a lot safer if you use the counter-attack-only technique. It's especially good if you use an Angelic Robe on a magic user so it can survive one hit from particular bosses (then just heal and wait again). I've only played the GBA FE games, so I don't know about others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)