The Eel Deal (help needed)

Hi! I'm not terribly good at the game, but I like playing RU matches. My team has a terrible W/L record and I could do with some advice on how to improve it.

Steelix
Role: Stealth Rock lead, phazer
Relaxed Nature
252 HP, 220 Def, 36 Spe.
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Moveset:-
Gyro Ball (STAB purposes)
Earthquake (STAB after 3 layers of SR)
Stealth Rock (... What else is a Steelix even for?)
Dragon Tail (Spreading SR damage with additional damage)

About this Choice: Steelix is perhaps my favourite pure physical wall, not least because it's a giant metal snake and I like to project a little more than I should. It has the survivability to tank hits from numerous RU sources (except Moltres et al., but that's what Crawdaunt and Galvantula are for), lay Stealth Rock down, and force the opponent to stack SR damage with Dragon Tail. Steelix is everything that I think is good in a lead; his attributes allow me to think of a plan of attack while spreading entry hazards and occasionally doing damage with Earthquake or Gyro Ball, depending on the damage type.

Flareon
Role: Specially Defensive Fire-type because I am clearly some sort of moron, burn spreader
Calm Nature
252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpD.
Ability: Flash Fire
Wish (Healing for sweepers/Steelix)
Protect (Last resort if I need to heal Flareon)
Lava Plume (I like burns. Burns are good.)
Roar (Because it doesn't learn Dragon Tail)

About this Choice: Flareon's a hard team member to play right, but I needed a Wish user and special tank, and I think it's utterly adorable. I only follow one path when using it: switch in, get a wish or Lava Plume off (I much prefer it to Flamethrower because I want to use it to spread status, not do damage), and switch back out again. Yes, Fire-types have a lot of defensive weaknesses, but that's part of the fun! Besides, it can tank hits from Lake Guardians all day, and I cannot stand those douchebags.

Rampardos
Role: Physical wallbreaker, general phys.-based thuggery
Jolly Nature
252 Atk, 4 SpD, 252 Spe.
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Head Smash (Yes, there's the recoil to consider, but it's the best STAB move for this guy)
Zen Headbutt (Coverage)
Earthquake (Like EdgeQuake, but more likely to kill the user)
Fire Punch (Again, coverage)

About this Choice: Rampardos is a simple soul with a simple job, mostly because he's too concussed to remember complex jobs. His task, and the reason I pick him, is to smash walls down with his face. If this is not feasible, other options include smashing the ground with his face to cause an earthquake or punching someone so hard his tiny, stubby fists catch fire. Basically, he's there to clean up stallers and give me more options on the attack, which is why he has a Choice Scarf - I want him to have the speed to get at least something off before switching out. He works well with Flareon in this regard, particularly when Lava Plume's been doing work.

Crawdaunt
Role: DD sweeper and pincher of Lake Guardians
Adamant Nature
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe.
Ability: Adaptability
Dragon Dance (In my admittedly limited experience, this is kinda necessary to be a DD sweeper)
Waterfall (Good bit of physical STAB; Crabhammer is a terrible waste of time)
Crunch (Again, good physical STAB to make the enemy's Uxie do something brown in its underwear)
Superpower (A move of last resort, usually)

About this Choice: I like setting up Dragon Dance on other people and frankly, I think Crawdaunt's about the best one in the tier. His STAB combo is pretty good - taking out a lot of things that give me trouble, like those omnipresent Lake Guardians and stuff like Sigilyph, an occupation made all the easier by his ability. To be honest with you, though, I only took Superpower because I wasn't sure what to put in the final moveslot. Maybe I should've gone with Brick Break or something, but I don't think there are that many screen-abusers in the tier right now.

Galvantula
Role: Nasty buzzy thing and bane of bulky Water-types
Timid Nature
252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe.
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Compoundeyes
Thunder (Compoundeyes raises its accuracy to 91%, which makes the move a ton more viable given it has STAB as well)
Bug Buzz (The other STAB move and annoyer of Lake Guardians)
Hidden Power Ground (Coverage)
Giga Drain (Coverage and healing, because Life Orbs can damage one's health)

About this Choice: I really like Galvantula as a special sweeper. It's not exactly bulky, and it has a weakness to Fire, but with a 91%-accurate STAB Thunder, it doesn't matter. Electric's a really good attacking type right now, and it's always nice to see a Moltres get fried alive by a massive great thunderbolt. This choice is about doing damage quickly and getting out even faster, switching into an attack (if possible with a Wish coming in shortly thereafter) and blasting the offending monster apart with a seriously powerful move. On the off chance that Galvantula has to stay in, then it can either heal or smash the opponent into the floor with GIANT LIGHTNING BOLTS.

Eelektross
Role: Biggest badass in the entire frickin' universe. Eelektross is the ultrapimp. Bow down to the king afore he splits yo' ass like a ripe melon in Fruit Ninja, the game you should be playing if you think you can step to Eelektross. Also a bulky physical attacker if you want to be boring about it.
Careful Nature
252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 SpD
Ability: Levitate
Coil (Pimp Daddy E will wait you out. You will bounce off him and then he will wreck yo' ass good.)
Wild Charge (See that clawed hand, kid? That's Pimp Daddy E's slapping hand. It is for schooling punk-ass fools who try to step to him.)
Drain Punch (While Pimp Daddy E laughs heartily at your cute little tickles, they build up over time. This is what happens when you make Daddy mad.)
Return (Pimp Daddy E will deliver a 102-power pimp slap should anyone step to him)

About this Choice: ... You dare question me? PIMP DADDY E WILL SCHOOL YO' DUMB ASS GOOD

Joking aside, the reason I use Eelektross is because, well, he's a bulky Electric-type with decent stats and an ability that means he doesn't have any weaknesses. Sure, there isn't much in the way of resistances either, but that doesn't really matter. All he's about it tanking the initial hit to set up a Coil boost, then hanging in to get off Wild Charges and healing off some damage with Drain Punch when viable. It was a toss-up between Return and Aqua Tail, but this is what the site said to use so... yeah. Maybe I should go AT. After all, Coil does raise Accuracy.

---

Despite the indisputable majesty of Eelektross, I tend to lose. A lot. As the kids say, wat do?

You're violating rule #2 of the RMT rules.

You need atleast 3 lines of info about all of your pokemon, so we know what it does and how you think with the team.

Fighting pokemon go to town on your team with their coverage moves they can easily smash through as we'll as your team being very slow besides galvantula, which puts a lot o pressure on him to come in with hazards up. I suggest a jolly scarf scyther (over ramparados) it allows you to have a potent revenge killer and maybe since several pokemon on your team are weak to rocks you could put a defensive sandslash with rapid spin and rocks over your steelix.
Oh and btw you say you put 3 layers of SR, it only goes for 1 layer.

Ah, yeah. My bad. Keep getting it confused with Spikes. Dumb CCC is dumb.

And yeah, they are a bit on the pudgy side. To be honest, I picked the Pokemon I vaguely know how to use - I've no idea how to properly use a revenge killer or what should be switched in where, so that's why the Scyther you mentioned got left out of the original lineup (which is a shame, because I run a mono-Bug OU team in which Scizor is an important part).

Let me guess, though; for fighting Pokémon, you'd suggest one of the Hitmons?

I would suggest sub-bulk up Gallade over crawdaunt as it fits your more bulky aspect of the team and he also takes care of a lot of your problems with his outstanding bulk.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey colourcodedchaos, I have a few suggestions I think could help.

1)Galvantula is already stealth rock weak and vulnerable to spikes. I would suggest using an expert belt over life orb, it bluffs the choice item, and takes Galvantula off of a timer.

2)Eelektross is a great mon, but you already have a physical set up sweeper and a real lack of special attackers.

I suggest:

Eelektross @leftovers
Modest Nature
252 HP/252 SpA/4 SDef
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Giga Drain
-Volt Switch/U-turn/Acid Spray

3) You have no priority on this team, which is extremely important in all of the meta-games, especially since your scarfer will be outsped by all other scarfers.

So, I'm going to suggest the Offensive Swords dance set on Gallade, or the Bulky Swords dance Set with Shadow Sneak. You need that priority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)