The Everything NHL Thread

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think what Solace meant was that it was supposed to be in the low $70s, but it didn't happen.
Yeah, it was projected at $71 million but the agreement went down to $69 million, while it looked like a lot of teams planned for more space.

I hope Vanek comes back honestly! After Montreal skewered him, he praised JT/KO and he seemed to enjoy being on their line.....

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
holy shit the Sabres bought out Ehrhoff

Pens should PROOOOOBABLY be looking to pick him up right the fuck now

For the people (not on here, fans in general) who criticize players with NTCs for trying to hand pick their destinations, how ignorant could you possibly be? No, players don't have families or personal lives at all.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, that's a terrible byproduct of the celebrity culture: people see well-known athletes/actors/musicians/etc. not as living, breathing persons, but as a face on a webpage or magazine cover. That's why it's so easy for people to root for the downfalls of the Lohans and the Biebers, even though those poor souls are in actuality ruining their own lives in profound ways.

OrbitingDeath

formerly SkylarGreen
For a moment I saw him being on a line with Stamkos and Drouin, could have been nice. And just like that he was traded again.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
Wow. And they unloaded Nate Thompson. NThey only got a 2015 6th back for Gagner/Crombeen, which makes me think that was a way to shed contracts. Crombeen was an anchor on that team, good for them he's gone. Hopefully, they're making room for Brett Connolly and to re-sign Ryan Callahan (though I've always found him to be overrated and he'll get too much money).

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Wow. And they unloaded Nate Thompson. NThey only got a 2015 6th back for Gagner/Crombeen, which makes me think that was a way to shed contracts. Crombeen was an anchor on that team, good for them he's gone. Hopefully, they're making room for Brett Connolly and to re-sign Ryan Callahan (though I've always found him to be overrated and he'll get too much money).
Cally is already resigned at 5.8 for 6 years. Tampa is looking really good this year, one more depth forward and another solid dman and I think they can put up a strong fight come playoffs.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Parenteau and a 5th rounder to Montreal for Briere. Habs definitely come out on top on this one, Parenteau must have wanted out on short notice and the Avs didn't want to lose him for nothing.

Coach Roy didn't seem to like PAP much at all, that's the main reason for the trade. That and he also has a year more than Danny and saves us some cash. Pap is probably the better player, but I'm not upset about the trade.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Coach Roy didn't seem to like PAP much at all, that's the main reason for the trade. That and he also has a year more than Danny and saves us some cash. Pap is probably the better player, but I'm not upset about the trade.
Briere is middling for sure. He was a healthy scratch at times during the season on a Habs team that isn't too offensively packed.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have a bad feeling the Oilers are going to hand someone a ridiculous contract, like David Clarkson level ridiculous. Nikita Nikitin for 4.5 mil? What the fuck?

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
They signed Greiss, yes I do have pull within the Penguins organization and yes, it is because of my Pokemon skills.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Soooo, thoughts on the Subban and Toews/Kane signings?
No thoughts on Toews and Kane but Subban's was just a ton of money for a guy who is in my eyes the Spezza of defence. Huge talent but not a ton of hockey sense, and he got more than he wanted through arbitration? How does that work?

Well, arbitration would only give him a 2-year contract, after which he would be UFA and UFA years are generally worth more than RFA years (or something like that).
Also I think it was appropriate for a guy like Subban: he's a franchise player, exciting on the eyes, will earn a shitton of money for the organization AND is one of the league's top defensemen at such young age + he's super competitive and striving to improve all the time. Though it might be a slight overpayment (but then again, new CBA, cap will go up etc), a player like Subban is certainly worth it in my eyes.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Well, arbitration would only give him a 2-year contract, after which he would be UFA and UFA years are generally worth more than RFA years (or something like that).
Also I think it was appropriate for a guy like Subban: he's a franchise player, exciting on the eyes, will earn a shitton of money for the organization AND is one of the league's top defensemen at such young age + he's super competitive and striving to improve all the time. Though it might be a slight overpayment (but then again, new CBA, cap will go up etc), a player like Subban is certainly worth it in my eyes.
I'm glad they got him because he has improved but it is way too much for a player who hasn't proven himself as a franchise player like Toews or Kane just yet. All of the Habs fans I know hate Subban's with a passion.

He won the Norris, how much more does a defenseman have to prove himself? He got a bridge deal to show what he's capable of and he delivered. He's one of the most exciting players in the league (how can any Habs fans hate him, seriously?), he's a perfect specimen of the modern NHL defenseman in a similar vein as Karlsson, Doughty etc. I really think he's already proven that he is the go-to guy for the team and that he (together with Price) is the guy that the Habs team will be formed around.

He's gonna lead the Canadiens to a Cup one day, I guarantee it.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
I completely agree that he is a great D-man and he proved that he is the team's star but I don't think he earned 8.5 million. And people from Quebec just hate everything :/

Soooo, thoughts on the Subban and Toews/Kane signings?
Toews and Kane deserve those contracts, even though they eat up a lot of cap space.

I'm torn with Subban, though. My first reaction is to say he's not worth that contract at all, but when you consider the team he's on, you can argue that it's appropriate. Subban is the guy that makes the Habs relevant (Price to an extent, as well), and overpaid or not, he's still pretty damn good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)