ORAS OU The Fix (OLT Qualifying Team Peak #2 1903 elo)

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion

The Fix

Listened to it alot while laddering XD.

Introduction

Hi guys my name is Sabella somewhat new to competitive scene in OU but today I have an Rmt of a very successful team I used to qualify for Smogons Official Ladder tour. This is part 2 the finale and the original version and the inspiration for njnp anti abr aids rmt. As many of you seeing may know I qualified in cycle 3. Proof can be seen here http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogons-official-ladder-tournament-cycle-4-signups-read-post-253.3549512. Enough of that now the team i used 95% of the time was a team build around Medicham-Mega. I find balance to fit with my conservative play style so this team while having an offensive presence still can check many of the big threats the Oras meta has to offer.

The Team

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch / Thunder Punch

States earlier the focus of this team Mega Medicham. It functions as an amazing wallbreaker in the XY meta but due to Mega Sableye it has lost some shine but I chose to to give it some love. Medicham can 2HKO with a combo of High Jump Kick and Zen Headbutt. Hjk is the main STAB being extremely spammable with no Ghost types on the field. The only drawback is its 90% accracy. Fake Out for chip damage vs offense Zen Headbutt to hit Fairy types and to hit bulky flying types. Bullet Punch for Diance and Weavile to further help vs offense. You can also chose to also run Thunder Punch if u want to hit Slowbro.

Clefable @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 166 Def / 90 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave / Fire blast / Stored Power / Encore
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable is here to beat bulky teams and switch into Kyurem-B and Mega Sableye. It synergizes well with Medicham because Medicham destroys all bulky steel types giving Clefable a much easier time to set up and win. The set is pretty self explanatory. Calm Mind to boost, Thunder Wave to slow mons down, Moonblast as STAB and Soft-boiled for recovery. Fire Blast to help vs Amoongus on stall. Stored Power to also hit amoongus and bypass unaware users. Shed Shell is there so you cannot be trapped by Gothitelle and you can switch out into Weavile and trap Gothitelle with Pursuit.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Weavile a great mon vs offense but used mainly as a good trapper. Weavile comes in on a lot of the switch Rotom can vs into Lati's and other hazard removers. Weavile is used to pressure hazard removal but also trap Starmie, Gengar and Lati as they outspeed Medicham. Taking out a crucial mon on an opponents can be very helpful. Weavile also beats Lando-T which can switch into Medicham at least once. It also can trap the ever popular Tornadus-T which is good Medicham check. The moveset pretty basic. Ice shard for priority, Icicle Crash as main STAB. Knock Off is the other main STAB, hitting bulky psychics and removing items, and Pursuit to trap the mons I mentioned earlier.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Whirlwind
- Earthquake
- Slack Off

Fat Bwoi. Checkin Physical attackers for days man. This is my Bisharp, Mega Lopunny and Tyranitar, Talonflame switch in along with other physical attackers. It is a great check all in this meta and is also my fav rock setter as my X league goons say. So Stealth Rock for hazards and to break sash's. EQ as the main stab to hit Bisharp and Lop. Slack Off for recovery, and Toxic to hit passive set up mons like Mega Slowbro. It can help wear down Pokemon like Keldeo and Cresselia. Whirlwind to phaze out set up sweepers. Finally, it can hit Mega gyarados if it tries to set up. Afterwards, Toxic plus Fake Out can wear it down.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 144 HP / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Iron Tail
- Heat Wave

My pseudo Keldeo switch in and U-turner creating a little Volt-turn core with Rotom as Torn also forces a decent amount of switches. Torn forces pokemon like Heatran, Rotom, Hippowdon, Tyranitar, Rhyperior, and Zapdos to switch in, letting Medicham can come in on all of these mons and either ohko them or put a serious dent in them. Hurricane to hit fighting types and Keldeo also serving as main stab. U-turn for pivot into Medicham for free kills. Knock off to knock off items on stall and knock off crucial items on balance. Heat wave to hit Scizor so it cannot set up as this team is a bit weak to Mega Scizor. Mega Scizor usually finds itself on balanced teams in which Medicham has a field day so its usually not an issue. Heat Wave also hits Ferrothorn and other bulky steel mons that want to switch in. Iron Tail can be used if running Thunder Punch on Medi to hit Diance on the switch in.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Used as my secondary torn and Talonflame switch in and also the second part of my Volt-turn core. This helps getting Weavile in safely, easing prediction. It also checks Lando-T and Sand Rush Excadrill. Hits flying types with Volt Switch, and Hydro Pump is for bulky grounds. Will-o-wisp to burn set up sweepers and Pain Split to keep it healthy. Also used as my Mega Scizor Check as this team is a bit weak to sd scizor

Conclusion:

This team absolutely demolishes offense and balance but struggles vs full stall with Mega Sableye. It was a very fun team to ladder with as no one is really prepared for Medicham anymore. As part of my conclusion I'd like to give a huge shoutout to njnp for taking this team apart and creating his own spin on and asking to do a joint RMT. Also like to shout him out for giving me so much love in his RMT. I'm going to give some other options this team can run to be just as effective vs offense and balance while also having a much easier time vs stall. I will state this team is the I used primarily to ladder with also I did make some changes as you will see below and did a few on ladder with these changes.

Other Options

Togekiss @ Shed Shell
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell

If you chose to make any changes you can use Togekiss over Clefable. Serving a very similar function as Clefable as a way to beat mega Sableye and absorbing status just as Clefable does. Shed Shell is to prevent goth trap and pursuit with Weavile as said before. Toge can beat Amoongus easier and flinch its way thru stall while also breaking thru Mega Slowbro too.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Defog

This can used over Tornadus-T as a much better switch in to Keldeo. It also provides hazard support in which the original version didn't have. Hazards weren't a real issue to the team but none the less support is still nice. Medicham and Latias go nicely together as Medicham destroys many of the steel types that like to switch into latios. Draco is there for spam STAB. psychic as other STAB. Defog for hazard support and Healing Wish to get another shot around with Medicham or Toge.

Replays

I will leave some replays to show the team vs various styles
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-268785589 vs Tewmew also cycle 3 qualifier congrats
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-268777497 vs BKC
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-268767379 vs Unamed
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-268811395 vs corumba
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-273354361 My friend hingo vs cleaner the rotom washs stall. This is the toge + lati version effectively shitting on stall.

Threats to the Team

Sableye-Mega

Immune to Medicham's STABs, and it's very hard to break full stall core.

Mega Slowbro

One of the true Medicham counters in the game. This team's weak to CM bro.

Keldeo

Not a huge threat but well played Keldeo can be annoying as I don't have a stable switch in. Torn can switch into any move but can but worn down by Scald burns.

Mega Gyarados

While not being a massive threat because of Fake Out and Rotom it has the ability to be a huge threat if setting up vs Hippowdon. If it flinches Clefable I can get full blown swept by this.​

Ok Time to end this but not without shouting out all my true mates.

While I'll say I didn't really have any help building this team I did have an amazing group of support behind me while trying to qualify.

Shoutouts go to all my X League bois Air Jak 11, Pk-Kaiser, iwanka, arifeen, ashaury azelea30, iGlack and many more im forgetting for rooting me on the whole time and believing me. I dont think I could have done it without u guys believing in me.
Shoutout to my dudes Freeroamer, scpinion mah main bitch Anttya and the rest of the monotype staff that was rooing me on.
Shoutout to Balto for getting me hyped up whenever i would ladder and shoutout to my man bushtush for my ego boosts all the time XD.
Shoutout to all the BOF homies rooting me on as i was laddering WCAR, Somalia, logic and the rest of you who make me wan to elevate my game everyday.
Please use the team and enjoy it!!
Special shout to njnp again for encouraging me to do this RMT and show everyone where the hype started.
bc hes a bitch I LOVE YOU ASHAURY
BIG Ass shoutout to my wdff bois Fortune, Geotal, Based God Josh, Cnorth, MattyBrollic, and Laxuy. Thanks for the support guys
Special Shout to Anttya for editting and making this look amazing
Shout out to blackbloodz for being fucking awful =)

Importable

Last edited:
This really is a nice team Sabella.

- One thing I would suggest changing your Tornadus's nature to Timid if it is not running Iron Tail. U-turn and Knock Off are not very strong and with the added physical bulk, Tornadus-T becomes a more reliable switch into Lai@s, and it is also able to eat up priority moves a bit better which can be crucial.

-Also, have you considered whirlwind on Hippo? I'm usually not a big fan of whirlwind, but it can help you phase out mons like SD Mega Scizor, thus allowing you to pressure it and deter it from setting up again later on. It does make you weaker to M-Slowbro, but it sort of depends on what you think is more important to check.

Serious congrats on the incredible accomplishment. Very proud of you, friend! =]

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Very solid team and grats for qualifying.
I have one little idea on how to deal with stall and CM Mega Slowbro better. You can try running Encore over Thunder Wave on Clefable, so you have more options against stall. Locking Slowbro into Slack off/Calm Mind can force it out, because you outspeed all the time. With 60 Base speed Clefable can Encore stally Pokemon (Quagsire, Hippowdon, Chansey, opposing Clefable,...) into a healing or supportive move and can act as a Stallbreaker, aswell as creating safe switchin opportunities for Medicham.
Keeping Tornadus over Latias helps the team executing its strategy of bringing in Medicham, although it would make the team vulnerable to Keldeo and Char Y.
As you said the U-Turn might give Medicham safe switchin opportunities, pressuring the opponent a lot. If I had to choose, I'd use Latias, because mainly Hippo and Weavile hate Rocks+Spikes.

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
thx for shoutout but your team is too weak to Bish with Iron Head flinches D:

jk this is a nice team and a nice representation of balance in the current meta with it's solid backbone supplemented by some threats, I personally prefer the Latias version over the one with Torn-T because it allows you to take sand off hippo because Zard Y isn't as huge a threat as it is to this version, but it's just personal preference I guess. It does make you weaker to stuff like LO Starmie so I can understand the pros for each variant. gj on team and qualifying

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Yeah i hated the fact i was so weak to char y the best was for me to end up dealing with was chip it down and then pursuit trap with weavile. Shui3 ty for that encore idea it was something that had crossed my mind ive only used it a few times tho so wasnt sure how itd work. Ill give it a shot

Nedor

thiccc
Hey Sabella, congratulations on the ladder peak, qualifying for OLT, as well as the extremely solid build. I agree with the previous rate mentioning Encore over Thunder Wave on Clefable as it would help more with bulky CM sweepers but in return you'd lose access to speed control which is imperative when using a slower wallbreaker like Mega Medicham so it wouldn't be dead weight against offensively paced teams (Hyper Offense, Bulky Offense, Balanced Offense, etc.) Aside from that point, I have multiple suggestions that will change the overall goal of the team slightly, but it will be beneficial to the build.

As mentioned previously, bulky Calm Mind sweepers such as Clefable, Mega Slowbro, and Suicune are extremely threatening to this build as your main balance breakers in Weavile and M-Medi are set-up fodder and unfortunately lose 1v1 to them. Timid Zard-Y is capable of dismantling this team with some ease, as it's speed tier is the same as Medichams. Additionally, since this prominent wallbreaker is typically found on hazard stacking balanced builds, your only way of "checking" it which is Hippowdon gets pressured immensely is eventually overwhelmed. Another balance breaker that this team greatly struggles with is all variants of Mega Gardevoir (Wisp / CM / Encore / Taunt + 3 Attacks.) If this mon is capable of getting a free switch through common pivots used alongside it such as CB Scizor, defensive Landorus-T or Rotom-W, it essentially gets a free kill. At this point, mainly powerful wallbreakers as well as set-up sweepers found on fatter builds are problematic but this can be mended with just a few changes.

Running mixed defense Rotom-Heat over Rotom-W would enable you to check Mega Gardevoir, Mega Charizard-Y (especially since it isn't Pursuit trappable like Lati@s), most variants of Talonflame, as well as Nasty Plot Thundurus so Hippowdon doesn't get pressured, or even lured by Grass Knot. Thunder Wave should be ran over Will-o-Wisp which grants you speed control and the ability not to lose to SD Mega Scizor due to Overheat. Now, going back to the point on Suicune, CM Clefable and CM Mega Slowbro being problematic, T-Wave Rotom-H also lets you freely run Encore + CM on Clefable which is capable of setting up and beating both of those 1v1. Since a Water resist is now mandatory and the build is fairly weak to TG Manaphy, running Latias over Tornadus-T would be beneficial as it provides role compression as well as hazard removal. The team is pressured by hazards greatly and puts lots of strain on the defensive backbone which would eventually collapse. Although you lose an extra pivot to bring in M-Medicham and Weavile in safely, Rotom-H baits in things such as Lati@s which then gets Pursuit trapped, and Heatran which would allow you to keep weakening the opposing team.

A tiny nitpick I have is running Stone Edge > Whirlwind / Toxic on Hippowdon which would support the team in checking a plethora of threats such as LO Gengar, SpDef Taunt + Wisp Talonflame, Volcarona, and Nasty Plot Thundurus (in case Rotom-H and Latias get weakened severely. 12 Speed is now being run on Clefable to creep standard Choice Banded Azumarill as well as opposing Clefable.
-----

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers | Levitate
Bold Nature | 248 HP / 108 Def / 144 SpD / 8 Spe
• Overheat
• Pain Split
• Volt Switch
• Thunder Wave

Clefable @ Leftovers | Magic Guard
Calm Nature | 252 HP / 160 Def / 84 SpD / 12 Spe
• Moonblast
• Encore
• Calm Mind
• Soft-Boiled

Latias @ Life Orb | Levitate
Timid Nature | 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
• Draco Meteor
• Psyshock
• Defog
• Roost

tl;dr:
--------
Encore > Thunder Wave

Standard Latias >
AV Tornadus-Therian
Mixed defense Rotom-Heat >
Rotom-Wash

---------

edit: oops, messed up some of the formatting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)