The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

I am really new to Competitive Battling. In fact, it's only been like two weeks (Pokémon Shodown). I played the Ubers and OU. OU seemed pretty interesting to me at first, but it got boring soon. I am now playing UU mostly. But here's my OU team, which is the very first competitive battling team I put together. I have underlined aspects I am doubtful about. So rate my team and thank you in advance.

Kitsune (Ninetales) (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature

- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic
- Roar

Notes: Besides the glaringly obvious reason of being the Weather Starter, Ninetales has always been my favorite Pokémon. Too bad it isn't Fire/Ghost. Also, it doesn't learn the coveted Morning Sun and has lackluster Special Attack Stat, while also taking a good amount of damage from Stealth Rock. It's as if GameFreak wanted Ninetales to be the worst Weather Starter. The set itself is used to spread toxic and burn mostly. Warding off Pokémon with Roar and mounting Entry Hazard damage is nice too, but doesn't come into play too often. Ninetales is too frail for that.
Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 180 Spd / 252 SAtk / 72 HP / 4 Def
Modest Nature

- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Notes: A monster under the sun, this late-game sweeping little frog is almost always the second pick of any Drought team. I replaced HP Fire with HP Rock for a few matches and it still helped KO many offensive threats. Is there any way to take care of Heatran, like a Mixed set with Earthquake replacing HP Fire (Growth also boosts the Attack Stat anyway)?
Gengar (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature

- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Notes: In most senses, Gengar is an all-rounder in my team. It helps keep Entry Hazards safe by blocking Rapid Spin. It KOs non-defensive Dragons and even its biggest threat, Alakazam, thanks to Timid. Even when its locked onto a move due to the Specs, it puts a dent in anything that doesn't resist that specific attack. Feel free to suggest a different movepool.

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd

- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball

Notes: Amazingly, this floating fetus has had as many sweeps as primary Sweeper, Venusaur. Although it's best suited to end-game sweeping, with the right switch, mid-game Trick Room is perfect too. I love it when trainers RageQuit or watch in horror as Reuniclus takes apart an entire team, turning their own speed against them. Perhaps adding more to its viability is the fact that it doesn't take damage from Entry Hazards, Weather, Life Orb and Status Conditions, especially in a Metagame infested with these. The only problem here to me is getting KOed at the very first turn of Trick Room, which basically cripples all my other Pokémon. Although very rarely, it helps my Venusaur survive another Weather.
Skarmory (M) @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

Notes: My choice for a suicide lead. It's guaranteed to set up at least 1 layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock. The Custap Berry is the key item here. It helps either to set up another layer of Spikes or kill many unsuspecting switch-ins (Espeon, Volcarona, Alakazam, Infernape and Breloom come to mind). On the lopside, Scizor can freely switch in and set up at least 1 Swords Dance. So, should I replace Brave Bird with Whirlwind, or will that be pointless considering that a lot of leads have Taunt?
Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature

- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Memento

Notes: Arena Trap + Earthquake, that is all. Well, not really. Memento or Reversal depending on the Pokémon that comes up next also works out many times. Jolly helps it outspeed a major portion of the tier. But how about replacing Jolly with Adamant? I don't know if it will still be quick enough with the 252 EVs in Speed.

Queries: Not to sound rude, but please do not suggest that I use a Rain or Sandstorm Team instead. I know that Sun isn't all too rewarding, especially due to Stealth Rock wearing out Ninetales during switch-in contests between Weather Starters, but I'm in it for the fun. Finally, are there good counters to my team? I'd very much like to know if there's a single prominent tactic to break this combination (Other than those damned Critical Hits, of course).​

Last edited:
I must say I enjoy your team a lot. I think this team is more rewarding that Rain. Thankfully you have EQ on Haxorous and Psyshock on Reuniculas to deal with Tentacruel.

For Gengar have you tested out Timid Gengar with Choice specs or Scarf?
With Gengar You want to be quick. I use a Gengar with Black Sludge and it generally outspeeds most things.

For Haxorus if you coul get 1 DD off I would consider to Outrage if I had the chance (Only if steel types were nearly dead.)

I'm thinking of how to deal with the EON duo. Gengar looks like the only think that could potentially kill a Latios.

Ninetails: Has the potential to beast 1 or 2 pokes. How often does s/he die attempting to Nasty Plot of Hypnosis?

Also no HP Ice? perhaps you don't need it :)

I must say I enjoy your team a lot. I think this team is more rewarding that Rain. Thankfully you have EQ on Haxorous and Psyshock on Reuniculas to deal with Tentacruel.

For Gengar have you tested out Timid Gengar with Choice specs or Scarf?
With Gengar You want to be quick. I use a Gengar with Black Sludge and it generally outspeeds most things.

For Haxorus if you coul get 1 DD off I would consider to Outrage if I had the chance (Only if steel types were nearly dead.)

I'm thinking of how to deal with the EON duo. Gengar looks like the only think that could potentially kill a Latios.

Ninetails: Has the potential to beast 1 or 2 pokes. How often does s/he die attempting to Nasty Plot of Hypnosis?

Also no HP Ice? perhaps you don't need it :)
Thanks, first of all.

- I haven't tried out Specs, but the Scarf sure helps outspeed Modest Alakazam and most Dragons. I'll certainly try using Specs and see if it comes into play more than Scarf.

- Yeah, I'm thinking of switching to Outrage too. Dragon Claw isn't nearly as effective on Defensive mons.

- The Eon Duo and Heatran are by far the most annoying counters in all my battles. I thought Scarfed Moxie Salamence would deal with it, but being locked into one move, especially if it's Earthquake, is suicide in most cases.

- Ninetales mostly faces other Weather Starters in battle. Or Heatran. So no need for HP Ice there. Even if I did have one, most Dragons still outspeed Ninetales. I get a good amount of chances to set up a Nasty Plot. Hypnosis on the other hand, not so much. Am I better off carrying a Will-O-Wisp?

Thanks, first of all.

- I haven't tried out Specs, but the Scarf sure helps outspeed Modest Alakazam and most Dragons. I'll certainly try using Specs and see if it comes into play more than Scarf.

- Yeah, I'm thinking of switching to Outrage too. Dragon Claw isn't nearly as effective on Defensive mons.

- The Eon Duo and Heatran are by far the most annoying counters in all my battles. I thought Scarfed Moxie Salamence would deal with it, but being locked into one move, especially if it's Earthquake, is suicide in most cases.

- Ninetales mostly faces other Weather Starters in battle. Or Heatran. So no need for HP Ice there. Even if I did have one, most Dragons still outspeed Ninetales. I get a good amount of chances to set up a Nasty Plot. Hypnosis on the other hand, not so much. Am I better off carrying a Will-O-Wisp?
- If Gengar (with Scarf) outspeeds Alakazam's I would say keep the scarf, but do the testing at first to see which you like more. You will find which works best for your team.

- (You could skip this advice) Perhaps you could use a terrakion (with a pinch berry, or sitrius berry?) as a stealth rocker, with CC, X Scissor, and another attack (I do not know how viable this would be.) But I take it you want 1 Sr, and 1 layer of spikes to make KOing easier. (I dont think Terrakion can learn roar because having roar is always useful to ruin set up sweepers like that Fire Bug. Volcorona) BraveBird Everything.

- Dealing with other weathers you are right about that friend. Dealing with T-tar the best thing to do with that is to burn it most of the time or hit it with a fighting attack. Ninetales has great Speed, and Special D. One thing some people do is have sunny day (or rain) on a second Pokemon to screen with teams. HP-Ice could be used to stop Gliscors / Landouros, but so could the Will-o-wisp. (When ever I burn a Gliscor I feel so happy.) the balloon makes you safe from ground attacks. You already have Sleep Powder on Venusaur. I can see you going for Hypnosis, and using Nasty Plot then attempt a sweep. Alternatively you could use a Substitute, and attempt to get a kill on a Toed (Via Solarbeam or weaker grass attack) trying to switch in.

Try a sub on your Ninetails. and another move like Nasty Plot, HP Ice, Toxic or Will-O-Wisp. If you go for sub it might be important to use Lefty's, even if it is an offensive Ninetails.. with Toxic or HP ICE you would be walled by Heatran.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is a cool team, and it's well formatted. Don't really know why it has so few rates.

I actually played this team last night with my own sun team (under the alt Dr. Von Doom) and it was a pretty good match!

There are a few issues that i see with the team though, mostly with the sets of your Pokémon. The lack of a spinner really bothers me. Yes, you have Taunt on Skarmory, but that won't stop lead Garchomp or lead Terrakion from setting up rocks and ruining your team's day. I think A regular defensive Forretress over Skarmory would be more beneficial to your team, since it can spin away hazards as well as tank Dragon hits, which your team hates since Skarmory is a suicide lead. Also, Haxorus just doesn't seem to do much for the team. It is powerful, sure, but it's Dragon Claw is actually not as strong as Dragonite's Outrage, and it doesn't benefit from the sun at all. I suggest you change Haxorus for Dragonite. Dragon Dance Dragonite finds it much easier to set up than Haxorus does, thanks to Multiscale and its superior bulk. It also benefits from sun more than Haxorus does since it can lure in Heatran (who commonly switches in thinking you have Fire Punch) and can OHKO it with Earthquake.

Finally there are a lot of minor edits I would suggest. I think Ninetales should be the defensive set, and give it Roar. This gives you a bit of insurance against things like CM Latias and Volcarona. Right now, without Dragonite, Volcarona destroys your team. Roar will somewhat help deal with this, and will give you more opportunities to set up SR, after which, Extremespeed from Dragonite can KO. Next, Reuniclus should use the standard Psychic / Shadow Ball / Focus Blast set, as Energy Ball gives you much worse coverage and Reuniclus doesn't exactly lure in Politoed anyway. Always go Timid over Modest on Gengar. Always. Finally, change Venusaur to a Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb / Hidden Power Fire / Growth set. You have Reuniclus, Gengar, and Dragonite to kill heatran for you, and Venusaur can eliminate the Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Jirachi that give them all trouble. Sleep Powder is cool, but Venusaur just doesn't have room for it most of the time.

Anyway, I hope I was able to help. Like I said, this is a cool sun team. Let me know how the changes work out for you!

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed
- Dragon Dance

Ninetales @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Spd / 120 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Sunny Day
- Roar
- Will-O-Wisp

Sleep Powder, Black Sludge---> Sludge Bomb, Life Orb
252 SAtk / 72 HP / 180 Spe Timid

Energy Ball ---> Shadow Ball

Modest---> Timid

Hello.
That's a pretty nice sun team you got there.
Following the previous post(make all the changes listed), you won't have a reliable way to outright beat heatran. So consider replacing reuniclus with dugtrio or you can lure it with earthquake on d nite. However, I feel that trapping it is more reliable, and dugtrio can beat heatran bar lava plume burn/magma storm trapper set/scarf set. Aside from that, great team.

Yes to everything this guy said
This is a cool team, and it's well formatted. Don't really know why it has so few rates.

I actually played this team last night with my own sun team (under the alt Dr. Von Doom) and it was a pretty good match!

There are a few issues that i see with the team though, mostly with the sets of your Pokémon. The lack of a spinner really bothers me. Yes, you have Taunt on Skarmory, but that won't stop lead Garchomp or lead Terrakion from setting up rocks and ruining your team's day. I think A regular defensive Forretress over Skarmory would be more beneficial to your team, since it can spin away hazards as well as tank Dragon hits, which your team hates since Skarmory is a suicide lead. Also, Haxorus just doesn't seem to do much for the team. It is powerful, sure, but it's Dragon Claw is actually not as strong as Dragonite's Outrage, and it doesn't benefit from the sun at all. I suggest you change Haxorus for Dragonite. Dragon Dance Dragonite finds it much easier to set up than Haxorus does, thanks to Multiscale and its superior bulk. It also benefits from sun more than Haxorus does since it can lure in Heatran (who commonly switches in thinking you have Fire Punch) and can OHKO it with Earthquake.

Finally there are a lot of minor edits I would suggest. I think Ninetales should be the defensive set, and give it Roar. This gives you a bit of insurance against things like CM Latias and Volcarona. Right now, without Dragonite, Volcarona destroys your team. Roar will somewhat help deal with this, and will give you more opportunities to set up SR, after which, Extremespeed from Dragonite can KO. Next, Reuniclus should use the standard Psychic / Shadow Ball / Focus Blast set, as Energy Ball gives you much worse coverage and Reuniclus doesn't exactly lure in Politoed anyway. Always go Timid over Modest on Gengar. Always. Finally, change Venusaur to a Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb / Hidden Power Fire / Growth set. You have Reuniclus, Gengar, and Dragonite to kill heatran for you, and Venusaur can eliminate the Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Jirachi that give them all trouble. Sleep Powder is cool, but Venusaur just doesn't have room for it most of the time.

Anyway, I hope I was able to help. Like I said, this is a cool sun team. Let me know how the changes work out for you!

Forretress @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed
- Dragon Dance

Ninetales @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Spd / 120 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Sunny Day
- Roar
- Will-O-Wisp

Sleep Powder, Black Sludge---> Sludge Bomb, Life Orb
252 SAtk / 72 HP / 180 Spe Timid

Energy Ball ---> Shadow Ball

Modest---> Timid
------------------------
Hello.
That's a pretty nice sun team you got there.
Following the previous post(make all the changes listed), you won't have a reliable way to outright beat heatran. So consider replacing reuniclus with dugtrio or you can lure it with earthquake on d nite. However, I feel that trapping it is more reliable, and dugtrio can beat heatran bar lava plume burn/magma storm trapper set/scarf set. Aside from that, great team.
Kingler could you explain (in detail how Dugtrio would benefit this team?) Adding Dugtrio would change the team too much (IMO) Reuniclus is a sleeping sweeper. Everyone will be trying to kill Venusaur and D-nite. Dugtrio can usually take down 1 pokemon but is also dispatch quite quickly.

Yes to everything this guy said

------------------------

Kingler could you explain (in detail how Dugtrio would benefit this team?) Adding Dugtrio would change the team too much (IMO) Reuniclus is a sleeping sweeper. Everyone will be trying to kill Venusaur and D-nite. Dugtrio can usually take down 1 pokemon but is also dispatch quite quickly.
Dugtrio helps get rid of pesky heatran. If you put dugtrio instead of OTR reun, you are free to run the superior fire punch over earthquake on dragonite. Factoring dugtrio, that's unresisted. Also it gets rid of tyranitar, also a problem for ninetales and such. I don't really need to elaborate on this, I hope?

Dugtrio helps get rid of pesky heatran. If you put dugtrio instead of OTR reun, you are free to run the superior fire punch over earthquake on dragonite. Factoring dugtrio, that's unresisted. Also it gets rid of tyranitar, also a problem for ninetales and such. I don't really need to elaborate on this, I hope?
Understood. Thank you :)

Thanks to everyone, especially to Kingler and Halcyon of light. I'll try the changes suggested.

I'm reluctant to drop Reuniclus, because as mentioned, it has had as many sweeps as Venusaur under the sun, which is quite a lot. Besides it also doesn't take damage from Entry Hazards, Weather, Life Orb and Status Conditions. In a Metagame infested with these, it's too much to give up on.

I have edited the first post to match my current team and movesets. As you can see, I took some of both the advices. Then again, OU is getting boring real soon, with the limited Pokémon to play with. I hope X&Y introduce some nice OU mons to brighten the situation. I'll probably be forming my UU team soon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)