The Goofy Goobers(2017 just got reset) so nvrmind

Hey guys this is my second official team and this one is way more serious than my last. I would walk you threw my team building process but I can do so in a simple sentence. I picked what I believed to be the 6 best and most overused pokemon of OU. That being said I did somewhat structure it around Mega Lucario. But I will talk about the overall success of my team after I introduce everyone. Please read all the way through before commenting.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance

I am deciding to go with crunch because ESpeed is more than enough priority and crunch hits ghosts that wall me pretty hard.I know at first glance you wonder why I have two priorities but with bullet punch getting the adaptability boost it really is just an added bonus to also get extremespeed which outspeeds those pesky talonflames. Anyway the reason I have this set is because I have ran a lot of calcs and seen many others that pretty much show that there are very few pokemon that can switch into two CC from this guy, excepts ghosts.

I really wish I had an archive of battles that this thing has brought me back from, however I hear people complaining that it is OP but I stand on the side where it is the most powerful but not too powerful. The reason I have jolly nature is to outspeed as many things as I can but I am not sure if some of it is unnecessary, maybe you guys can help me with it.]

The weakness that he has are against gliscors and I am pretty sure he gets ice punch so I might switch bullet punch for ice punch any input is appreciated, but he really doesnt have problems with much else, I only bring him in for a quick powerful CC or late game clean up.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EV's: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 SpA
Nature: Sassy
Moveset:
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave

I was thinking about tyranitar or goodra for this role on my team but I ended up going with goodra because of its amazing coverage moves, sizable special attack, and ridiculous special defense. This thing can take LO ice beams from greninja all day and OHKO with a flamethrower. It also likes to switch in on fairies that think they can OHKO with a moonblast but I will eat it up and destroy them with a sludge wave. I was thinking of putting on ice beam but I cant decide what move to get rid of, mainly because of gliscors.

I usually take burns with this if I have to but not having recovery or lefties kind of sucks. but with sap sipper I can come in on a grass type or smeargle and get two quick powerful hits off before they even realize what happened. Gooey just doesnt seem to be worth it because they either die or switch out by the time gooey activates.

Ferrorthorn@ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed
252 HP / 184 Def / 68 SpD
Leftovers
~ Stealth Rock
~ Leech Seed
~ Power Whip
~ Thunder Wave

I dont think this needs too much explaining, while some people think rocky helmet is gimmicky I completely disagree because even if I just want to sack this to a flare blitz or something by the time the recoil, IB, and RH have added up they should be able to be taken down by my luke or talonflame.

I usually try and set up mid game rocks as a general strategy and find it works pretty well if I find myself walling whatever poke is currently out. I am not set in stone on any of these moves so I will really take into consideration any movesets suggested.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Obviously this guy is on my team because he should be on any team that is serious about winning. I really feel like this set gives me two pokemon instead of one. My opponent will spend all game widdling down my health and maybe gets a burn on me only for me to rest and completely reverse all of their progress. Not to mention the great defensive synergy with my ferrorthorn and I can switch in to both of them forever and hardly take any scratches.

I know the ev's are weird but I find myself having to take a lot of tbolts from various threats and the extra bulk comes in handy moreso than any other stat, I think. But I would be open to different ev spread. I personally hate rotom-w but that is why he is on my team, all he does is get me momentum for the rest of my crew to get the job done.

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Kings Shield
- Sacred Sword

I have two words for this guy MIND GAMES, I literally go inception all up in my battles when he comes out. Everybody expects kings shield and then you shadow claw while they boost up and then shadow sneak for the kill, it happens all the time and when I know they will just straight attack I kings shield, Obviously I am not perfect and there gets to be a point where I might as well flip a coin. But nonetheless I have gotten kills that were soley because I out predicted my opponent and it really demoralizes them.

He also is the Perfect counter for lucario, if I know it is a special luke I just send out goodra and flamethrower it. I see a lot of people running swords dance but I dont like going for swords dance I like just shadow clawing on a switch and getting damage off. It is important that you guys understand that he is not a sweeper, his only goal is to maybe get a kill while getting solid damage on offensive threats that can get cleaned up by talonflame or lucario.

Item : Choice Band
Ability : Gale Wing
Nature : Adamant
EV Spread : 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Moveset : U-turn | Brave Bird | Flare Blitz | Roost

The reason I have choice band on this guy is mainly because I kept winning with it and didnt need to take it off for a sharp beak or lefties. I sometimes lead with this if I think they are going to try and get SR up because he can OHKO most of those guys(except they usually have sturdy or sash). But because I dont have a spinner(I'll talk about that later) I usually try and keep him at full health so he can take out two pokes when he comes in even with SR up.

Comments about the team:
So right away you notice I dont have a defogger/spinner, I realize that it is a problem but I just dont like having to worry about getting a spinner in and having to worry about them blocking it, or letting them get off a free attack because I am worried about hazards. The only thing that hates rocks is talonflame but he usually never takes a hit anyway and kills himself after taking a few things with him.

Next is Goodra seems kind of awkward on the team but I have my defensive sore of ferro and rotom and my offensive core of luke, aegi, and talon, so I wanted a wall/attacker and like I said it came down to tyranitar and goodra, but I mainly just didnt want to deal with sand.

Threats:
Stall teams, Stall Teams, STALL TEAMS. I absolutely hate these things because even if I win the game I find myself 1-200 turns in and I just hated every second of it. I dont know how to counter them without completely changing my team. Especially with my lack of cleric or spinner.

Another threat are teams that are very similar to mine or HO teams that punch holes in my team early on. I really would appreciate help on how to deal with these things.

Closing comments about teams performance

I am currently at 2017 in the ladder and just lost after about a 35 win streak, It was mainly because I lost my luke by playing like an idiot. This is the first time I was able to break the 2000's so I think that is a testament to this team. But anyway I dont know what else to say, other than I hope you guys test this team out because it does not take a very good player to do very well with this team. Like I alluded to in the beginning, I made this team to point out that prebankOU is getting pretty stale for me because I either use a team like this or I lose to a team like this. I hope this RMT will bring awareness to how powerful this team can be while at the same time helping me perfect it. My goal would be for this to be like a starter team for newbies to the meta game.

Thanks so much for sticking with me threw all that and thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Mega Scizor

p.s I will be looking over it for mistakes tomorrow but I just want to post it.

Last edited:
I don't think Bullet Punch and Extreme Speed together is necessary for Lucario because you will be walled and KOed back by Aegislash so I think Crunch over Bullet Punch is a better option. Extremespeed can hit neutrally Togekiss and Azumarill which is what bullet punch is for but it can also hit talonflame for a KO after +2 while Bullet Punch won't be able to do it and Talonflame will KO hard back.

I don't think Bullet Punch and Extreme Speed together is necessary for Lucario because you will be walled and KOed back by Aegislash so I think Crunch over Bullet Punch is a better option. Extremespeed can hit neutrally Togekiss and Azumarill which is what bullet punch is for but it can also hit talonflame for a KO after +2 while Bullet Punch won't be able to do it and Talonflame will KO hard back.
Yeah I agree, especially because unless fairies carry fire blast they cant hurt lucario. Ill definitely switch that, in fact ill just update it.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, obviously I got the request, and this team seems pretty cool! I like the fwg core, and luke sweep, even if your team is a little Landorus-t weak, as well as charizard Y weak. Charizard Y enjoys breaking apart your defensive core in Ferrothorn/ Rotom, but sucks against Goodra. However, Goodra has no form of recovery, so it can easily get broken through throughout the match. Ferrothorn is also a risky stealth rock setter because how it can easily get broken through this metagame.

My first change is using Rotom-H. The fire/electric typing gives you a solid switchin to strong attackers like Charizard Y, Genesect, etc to name two. It still provides you momentum with Volt Switch, and essentially preserves your core defensively AND offensively. However the stealth rocks weakness is kinda phooey, and stealth rocks really wears you down between goodra, talonflame, and rotom H.

This leads to my next suggestion of Skarmory>Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn just isnt as good this generation, at least in my opinion. There are better Grass types, and better steel types. It also really doesnt do much outside setting up Stealth Rock, which you would rather have Defog, at least in my opinion. Alternatively you can run both, and do a non attacking set. Taunt bait isnt really a thing, as Skarm's Brave Birds do like, zero damage and just whittle skarm down. Things like Gyarados that run taunt beat skarmory anyway.

Drop Sludge Wave for Ice Beam in my opinion. The only common fairies are togekiss and Azumarill, which hit just as hard with thunderbolt. The Ability to hit Landorus and Gliscor really hard is excellent considering Goodra is your most common switch in to Landorus-i. Plus Boltbeam.

Run Shadow Ball>Shadow Claw as this allows you to punch holes in teams. Also switch your HP Evs to SpA, as you want to boost your moves as much as possible. Lastly, run Jolly 144 Spe on Talonflame. This outsoeeds opposing Mega Lucario, allowing you to get the jump in them and ko with Flare Blitz (NP Variants). Hope I helped with your team man! Good luck! Also, its really hard to fix a team against an entire playstyle (i.e. HO). Specific threats would probably be better for other raters!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)