Data The Grand Tournament: Sinnoh Mythos [R3 SIGNUPS OPEN]

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
The Grand Tournament: Sinnoh Mythos
:ss/heatran: :ss/manaphy: :ss/shaymin-sky:

Before I get into the details of the announcement and all that, allow me to give some background, especially for those of you who don't frequent the discord and had no idea that anything was even coming. Sometime around 4-6 months ago I decided I wanted to update the tournament system here in BBP so that they fit better with both how the game is played currently but also work better around their time taken, so we can prevent those ever so frequent scenarios where tournaments just wall out to consecutive DQs in the closing rounds. Alright, with that little preamble out the way, details time.

What is it?
The Grand Tournament is a revamp on the tournament format designed with primarily around the Swiss Format for matchmaking and tournament progression. Here's a quick explanation of the format:
  • Swiss Format: No eliminations occur during the tournament. Players are simply ranked by "score," which is primarily match score (wins, losses, ties) but also can have other determining factors as tiebreakers, and then matchmade into the future round using their score going into that round.
  • Why Swiss?: Elimination doesn't necessarily suit neither desired engagement from all players nor the currently limited size of our playerbase. Besides, who doesn't love getting to play in all rounds of a tournament? Logistically however, it does open up potential finally for pre-seeding in future events, not certain if this will be used, it's just a noted benefit should we think it's necessary

How does it work?
Starting here, and 2 months after the starting date the ongoing round, I will post announcing the new round and its associated arena. For this first round, there's roughly 3 weeks between this announcement and when the matches will begin, simply because this is a whole lot of new information being dumped here at once. Future rounds will only have 2 weeks between the announcement and the beginning of the round.

Match Format
B4P3 Singles
DQ: 36h (48h for the ref)
Time Limit: 60 days
All Abilities
All Items
Three Substitutions
One Mega Evolution
Five Chills / Two Recoveries
One Z-Move
Arena: Lake Verity
:ss/mesprit:
The resting place of Mesprit, a Pokemon known in legend for teaching humankind about joy and sorrow. They will be watching over you alll in this match, to make sure that you don't forget your connection to your Pokemon's emotions.

Arena Effects
- Alternates between Joy and Sorrow each round:
Joy: All Moves deal 1 less damage
Sorrow: All Moves deal 1 more damage
These effects do not affect fixed-damage moves
- Round 1 of the match is always Sorrow.

Nature Power: Confusion
Secret Power: Confusion
Camouflage: Psychic

If a match exceeds its time limit, it will be scored based on remaining HP percentage, rounded down to the nearest whole number. This does mean there's possibilities for ties, it is what it is. Also, just to remind everyone, using a self-KO move as your way of securing the final KO you need in a match will be a loss for you if you have no replacement Pokemon.

As for details regarding the Swiss format for this:
  • Matchups and rankings are done based on W/L/T record for the duration of the tournament.
  • Wins: 1 / Losses: 0 / Ties: 0.5 - just in case this ends up mattering for some reason
  • Tiebreakers for placement: Head-to-Head record > Average match time (in rounds) > Average HP% remaining (losses count as 0% for this metric) > Average match time (in days)

Entry into the tournament itself will cost 8 JC, as well as the standard 2 JC per fight. The rewards for players and refs per battle has not been adjusted. Also, one final detail, players are allowed to opt to not participate in every round, as well as to join in on a later round than the first. It just keeps everything fluid. There will be 5 rounds, so keep that in mind as well.

Rewards!
Alright let's talk everyone's favorite topic: rewards! Rewards for this are based on win count:
  • 1 Win: 15 RC
  • 2 Wins: One of your Pokemon can be progressed to Stage 4
  • 3 Wins: One of your Pokemon can be progressed to Stage 4
  • 4 Wins: One of your Pokemon can be progressed to Stage 5
  • 5 Wins: One of your Pokemon can be progressed to Stage 5
Additionally, first place overall will get their choice between Heatran, Manaphy, and Shaymin (Gracidea included). Second place overall gets their pick of the Lake Trio (Azelf, Mesprit, Uxie). While the first and second place overall rewards obviously cannot be claimed until the end of the event, the win count rewards are eligible to be claimed as soon as you qualify for them, to avoid unnecessarily holding rewards "hostage."

-----------

Phew, that was a mouthful to get through. This is just an announcement post, and to give time to gauge out any concerns or anything else.

Here's the current timeline of events:
- Announcement Post (this one): 1/1
- Signups begin: 1/7
- Signups close, matchups are determined: 1/17
- Round 1 begins: 1/31

:arceus: Happy New Years! :arceus:

Last edited by a moderator:

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
For the sake of saving myself effort atm (sorry guys, I've been extremely busy these last 7 days or so), just gonna turn this thread into the signups for round 1.

Some procedural things:
- Include a link to your claim that is paying for entry into the tournament in your signup post. It does not have to be an approved claim, but it does need to be in the queue to be approved in order for the entry into the tournament to be approved.
- Reminder that this does cost 8 JC
- No other information in this thread has changed.

Last edited:
My understanding of this tournament's policies is somewhat flawed right now. Will players be submitting a fixed squad from which to draw their four Pokemon for each battle, as in prior tournaments, or can any four be chosen from their profiles? Also, why must I pay to play each round when I've already been charged an entry fee?

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
My understanding of this tournament's policies is somewhat flawed right now. Will players be submitting a fixed squad from which to draw their four Pokemon for each battle, as in prior tournaments, or can any four be chosen from their profiles? Also, why must I pay to play each round when I've already been charged an entry fee?
Fixed squad: no. You'll send a squad of your choosing to each round. The locked team model is flawed as its inable to keep up with how the game changes from time to time.

Paying an entry fee: Without an entry fee, this is hardly distinguishable from just any chain of 5 battles (same reason why all RPs have an entry price spike. Additionally, JC has to go somewhere. The economy outside of these specific places with spiked entry cost is extremely JC-positive. Hell, even the tournament across its full duration is going to end up JC-positive.

Fixed squad: no. You'll send a squad of your choosing to each round. The locked team model is flawed as its inable to keep up with how the game changes from time to time.

Paying an entry fee: Without an entry fee, this is hardly distinguishable from just any chain of 5 battles (same reason why all RPs have an entry price spike. Additionally, JC has to go somewhere. The economy outside of these specific places with spiked entry cost is extremely JC-positive. Hell, even the tournament across its full duration is going to end up JC-positive.
Thanks. I'll note that my objection was to the per-round payment rather than the entry fee, epecially because eliminating five rounds' worth of JC payments and awards results in a less JC-positive system than does adding an 8-JC tax, but what you've said is fair enough.

Signing up.

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
Thanks. I'll note that my objection was to the per-round payment rather than the entry fee, epecially because eliminating five rounds' worth of JC payments and awards results in a less JC-positive system than does adding an 8-JC tax, but what you've said is fair enough.

Signing up.
Ah my bad, didn't realize I responded to the wrong part of the objection, but I'm glad that I managed to explain the importance of both parts of the payment either way :D

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Apologies for the delays, here are the pairings:

Florina Liastacia vs Dogfish44 [Ref: epicdrill]
nightblitz42 vs S0L1D G0LD [Ref: Mowtom]
Mowtom vs TMan87 [Ref: Florina Liastacia]
LouisCyphre vs epicdrill [Ref: Maxim]
Rextreff vs Maxim [Ref: TMan87]
TheEver vs HydrogenHydreigon [Ref: Gemini Taurus]
Gemini Taurus vs P2X7 [Ref: TheEver]

All pairings have been done randomly and I can provide screens if needed.
With that said, matches will start on Jan 31st, midnight UTC!

Jay's edit:

alll matches need to be in the main forum, and tagged with the Tournament tag for easy finding.
Title format: [GT1 R1] Player vs Player

Last edited by a moderator:

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
After much anticipation, signups for the second round are now open! If you already paid your 8 JC entry cost, then you get in for free! Otherwise, pay up!

Signups will close at that date!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)