National Dex The Knight of the Wind!: A Mega Scizor Hyper Offense Team

:sm/scizor-mega: :sm/tapu-koko: :ss/grimmsnarl: :sm/greninja: :ss/sneasler: :sv/iron-thorns:

Overview:
The team is a hyper-offensive Electric Terrain team that centers around maximizing damage, as five of the six pokemon on the team(the sixth being Grimmsnarl) has the ability to sweep opposing teams. Offensive :scizor-mega: is what I built the team around, and I discovered that it works well on Electric Terrain teams, due to its ability to take on Great Tusk, Gliscor, and Ting-Lu with relative ease. :grimmsnarl: provides screen support, along with allowing its teammates to have an easier time setting up with Parting Shot + Spirit Break. :tapu-koko: is a nice stallbreaker on the team and provides support with Electric Terrain. :greninja: works well with Mega Scizor, which can take care of any pesky Fire types like Heatran, Mega Charizard-Y, and Volcarona(or Iron Moth, which is more threatening in Electric Terrain). :sneasler: and :iron-thorns: both benefit from Electric Terrain, and provide essential coverage for the team. And, as you may have guessed from the title, each of them have some sort of distant relationship with Sonic and the Black Knight(a spin-off from the main series).

Teambuilding Process:

:scizor-mega:
This was a pokemon that I had always loved, and is definitely my favorite Mega by far(sorry Pinsir and Manectric). And, unlike the aforementioned Mega Pinsir and Manectric, it has had a large amount of success throughout its existence. So, I decided to actually build a team around it for once, instead of just including it halfway into the teambuild process.
:scizor-mega: :tapu-koko:
Tapu Koko appreciates Scizor's ability to easily take on Ground types, and Scizor is relieved of the trouble of taking on Dondozo, since Tapu Koko has Thunderbolt + Grass Knot.
:scizor-mega: :tapu-koko: :grimmsnarl:
I was thinking that we needed screen support, and Grimmsnarl came to mind. It also allows us to switch in one of our sweepers safely with Parting Shot and it works well on hyper offense teams.
:scizor-mega: :tapu-koko: :grimmsnarl: :greninja:
At this point, I decided on having another special attacker, and Greninja came to mind. Greninja synergizes well with Scizor, as it takes out any Fire types(like Heatran and Mega Charizard-Y) that will absolutely annihilate Scizor.
:scizor-mega: :tapu-koko: :grimmsnarl: :greninja: :sneasler:
We needed something that could utilize the terrain in a more offensive way than Tapu Koko, and I thought we could use an Unburden sweeper that could hit Fairy types. Only one is capable of doing both of these: Sneasler.
:scizor-mega: :tapu-koko: :grimmsnarl: :greninja: :sneasler: :iron-thorns:
As any good Gen 9 Electric Terrain team, we needed a paradox pokemon. Iron Thorns filled the defensive type requirements, and is just amazing on Electric Terrain.

:sm/scizor-mega:
Knight of the Wind (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Dual Wingbeat

Mega Scizor is the star of the team and it resembles a knight, hence the name "Knight of the Wind". It is indeed fast, with the EV spread meant to allow it to outspeed all Heatrans who are not max speed. Bullet Punch provides Scizor with a way to revenge kill and chip opponents, although it should do more after getting to +2 attack with Swords Dance. Close Combat gives Scizor a way to hit Heatran, along with other Steel types that could wall its Steel STAB. Finally, Dual Wingbeat is one of Scizor's best moves in its arsenal, giving it a total base power move of 120(each hit is 60 base power), thanks to Technician, and gives Scizor a way to 2HKO Great Tusk without boosts.

:sm/tapu-koko:
Tails (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Volt Switch

Tapu Koko is the next part of the team, and provides a both offensive and supportive role on the team, just like Tails from the Sonic Franchise does. The EVs are very offensive, centering around maximizing Tapu Koko's offensive powers, which are further boosted by Choice Specs. Thunderbolt serves as Tapu Koko's main STAB move, and gives it a reliable way to get KOs and deal decent amounts of damage while on Electric Terrain, which is activated by Electric Surge. Dazzling Gleam serves as a secondary STAB move. Personally, I don't see why it doesn't have Moonblast(then again, neither does the other Tapu with a high attack stat, Tapu Bulu). Anyways, Grass Knot serves as a way to deal with Garganacl, and other heavy pokemon that resist Tapu Koko's STABs. Tera Grass gives Tapu Koko a resistance against Ground types, and also gives Grass Knot a STAB boost. Finally, we have Volt Switch, which allows Tapu Koko to deal damage while pivoting out, and provides us with a nice way to chip opponents and pivot around.

:ss/grimmsnarl:
Knuckles (Grimmsnarl) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Spirit Break
- Parting Shot

Grimmsnarl provides a role that is nice to have on a hyper-offensive team: screen support. Never have I been more thankful than when my Iron Thorns tanks a Close Combat, activates Weakness Policy, and destroys the opponent, all because of Grimmsnarl's Reflect. This is a defensive EV spread, prioritizing special bulk over physical, and it has Tera Fire for resisting Steel type moves. Light Screen and Reflect are the classic Screen pairing seen on almost every pokemon built for screen support(except Aurora Veil users, who have to be special). Spirit Break gives Grimmsnarl a damaging move to use when the situation becomes favorable, and Parting Shot provides Grimmsnarl with its favorite way of pivoting out to a teammate, making the team have an easier time at sweeping the opponent.

:ss/greninja:
Shadow (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Greninja is a ninja(duh), and is a dark type. Know what else is dark? Shadow the Hedgehog from the Sonic franchise! Anyways, this set is a basic Greninja set, which is meant for maximum damage output to activate Battle Bond as soon as possible. Greninja's offensive profile is further bolstered by the Life Orb. Water Shuriken gives Greninja the ability to revenge kill with ease, although Water Shuriken has almost let us down multiple times throughout my test runs. Dark Pulse gives Greninja a Dark STAB move, and diversifies its moveset. Ice Beam is Greninja choice coverage move, and hits Grass and Flying types for consistent damage. Finally, Hydro Pump is Greninja's most powerful STAB option in its arsenal, and has never failed me in history(unlike a certain Focus Blast).

:sv/sneasler:
Sonic (Sneasler) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
Tera Type: Flying
Jolly Nature
- Dire Claw
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat

Unburden Sneasler is probably the Unburden user in the metagame, and is indeed worthy of the title "Sonic." Electric Seed, of course, is to activate the ability Unburden. It also gets a nice defense boost, which is always nice. The EV spread, like almost everything on the team, is made for maximum damage and speed, which is especially true for Sneasler, which gets a massive speed boost once Unburden is activated. Dire Claw serves as a secondary STAB move, and has saved me more than once when the opponent has suddenly been put to sleep by its secondary effect. Sneasler used to have Night Slash, but I replaced it with Acrobatics after testing the team. Acrobatics is great, especially when it is boosted by Tera Flying, and it goes well with Unburden, giving Sneasler a 110 base power Flying move to hit other Fighting types like Great Tusk(gonna keep bringing this up). Swords Dance is just a boosting move, although it may not be necessary, but I just like to have it, just in case there is a chance for Sneasler to set up. Finally, Close Combat gives Sneasler a very strong Fighting STAB that can be clicked more often than Dire Claw.

:sv/iron-thorns:
Black Knight (Iron Thorns) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Wild Charge
- Ice Punch

The nickname may or may not make sense to some people, but it doesn't matter. Iron Thorns gives the team another abuser of Electric Terrain, and is a good pokemon in its own right. Weakness Policy replaced Booster Energy, as I found Iron Thorns taking super-effective hits way more than I anticipated, especially on stall teams with Dondozo. The moveset is mainly focusing on making Iron Thorns fast enough to outspeed most pokemon when at +1 speed, with minimal defense to allow it to live super-effective moves from not-so offensive pokemon. Tera Flying allows Iron Thorns to get the jump on pokemon that thought they could just spam Earthquake or Close Combat, giving Iron Thorns the opportunity to get a second(or third) Dragon Dance, which allows Iron Thorns to just bulldoze through teams. Stone Edge is its main STAB move, allowing it to either 2HKO or OHKO almost everything in the game when at +1. Wild Charge is a secondary STAB move that I sometimes refrain from using in certain situations(like when Iron Thorns is poisoned), since it has recoil damage. Finally, Ice Punch allows Iron Thorns to hit Ground types that would usually threaten it with a 4x effective Ground move.

Threats:
I didn't really find anything in particular that could destroy my team, but one thing that consistently threw a wrench into my strategy was Choice Scarf Landorus-T.
Landorus-Therian
:ss/landorus-therian:
That was the only thing I saw that could avoid Greninja's Ice Beam and +1 Iron Thorn's Ice Punch, and deal super-effective damage against both(U-Turn and Earthquake).
Dondozo
:sv/dondozo:
When my team's checks for this thing would be removed, it would basically just wall the rest of my team, and would require me to make inconsistent plays that would work once and never again
Sun Teams
:ss/venusaur: :sm/charizard-mega-y: :sv/lilligant-hisui:
If I didn't make the right choices, these team styles would just ruin me.

Replays:

Last edited:

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
:sm/scizor-mega: :sm/tapu-koko: :ss/grimmsnarl: :sm/greninja: :ss/sneasler: :sv/iron-thorns:

Overview:
The team is a hyper-offensive Electric Terrain team that centers around maximizing damage, as five of the six pokemon on the team(the sixth being Grimmsnarl) has the ability to sweep opposing teams. Offensive :scizor-mega: is what I built the team around, and I discovered that it works well on Electric Terrain teams, due to its ability to take on Great Tusk, Gliscor, and Ting-Lu with relative ease. :grimmsnarl: provides screen support, along with allowing its teammates to have an easier time setting up with Parting Shot + Spirit Break. :tapu-koko: is a nice stallbreaker on the team and provides support with Electric Terrain. :greninja: works well with Mega Scizor, which can take care of any pesky Fire types like Heatran, Mega Charizard-Y, and Volcarona(or Iron Moth, which is more threatening in Electric Terrain). :sneasler: and :iron-thorns: both benefit from Electric Terrain, and provide essential coverage for the team. And, as you may have guessed from the title, each of them have some sort of distant relationship with Sonic and the Black Knight(a spin-off from the main series).

Teambuilding Process:

:scizor-mega:
This was a pokemon that I had always loved, and is definitely my favorite Mega by far(sorry Pinsir and Manectric). And, unlike the aforementioned Mega Pinsir and Manectric, it has had a large amount of success throughout its existence. So, I decided to actually build a team around it for once, instead of just including it halfway into the teambuild process.
:scizor-mega: :tapu-koko:
Tapu Koko appreciates Scizor's ability to easily take on Ground types, and Scizor is relieved of the trouble of taking on Dondozo, since Tapu Koko has Thunderbolt + Grass Knot.
:scizor-mega: :tapu-koko: :grimmsnarl:
I was thinking that we needed screen support, and Grimmsnarl came to mind. It also allows us to switch in one of our sweepers safely with Parting Shot and it works well on hyper offense teams.
:scizor-mega: :tapu-koko: :grimmsnarl: :greninja:
At this point, I decided on having another special attacker, and Greninja came to mind. Greninja synergizes well with Scizor, as it takes out any Fire types(like Heatran and Mega Charizard-Y) that will absolutely annihilate Scizor.
:scizor-mega: :tapu-koko: :grimmsnarl: :greninja: :sneasler:
We needed something that could utilize the terrain in a more offensive way than Tapu Koko, and I thought we could use an Unburden sweeper that could hit Fairy types. Only one is capable of doing both of these: Sneasler.
:scizor-mega: :tapu-koko: :grimmsnarl: :greninja: :sneasler: :iron-thorns:
As any good Gen 9 Electric Terrain team, we needed a paradox pokemon. Iron Thorns filled the defensive type requirements, and is just amazing on Electric Terrain.

:sm/scizor-mega:
Knight of the Wind (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Dual Wingbeat

Mega Scizor is the star of the team and it resembles a knight, hence the name "Knight of the Wind". It is indeed fast, with the EV spread meant to allow it to outspeed all Heatrans who are not max speed. Bullet Punch provides Scizor with a way to revenge kill and chip opponents, although it should do more after getting to +2 attack with Swords Dance. Close Combat gives Scizor a way to hit Heatran, along with other Steel types that could wall its Steel STAB. Finally, Dual Wingbeat is one of Scizor's best moves in its arsenal, giving it a total base power move of 120(each hit is 60 base power), thanks to Technician, and gives Scizor a way to 2HKO Great Tusk without boosts.

:sm/tapu-koko:
Tails (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Volt Switch

Tapu Koko is the next part of the team, and provides a both offensive and supportive role on the team, just like Tails from the Sonic Franchise does. The EVs are very offensive, centering around maximizing Tapu Koko's offensive powers, which are further boosted by Choice Specs. Thunderbolt serves as Tapu Koko's main STAB move, and gives it a reliable way to get KOs and deal decent amounts of damage while on Electric Terrain, which is activated by Electric Surge. Dazzling Gleam serves as a secondary STAB move. Personally, I don't see why it doesn't have Moonblast(then again, neither does the other Tapu with a high attack stat, Tapu Bulu). Anyways, Grass Knot serves as a way to deal with Garganacl, and other heavy pokemon that resist Tapu Koko's STABs. Tera Grass gives Tapu Koko a resistance against Ground types, and also gives Grass Knot a STAB boost. Finally, we have Volt Switch, which allows Tapu Koko to deal damage while pivoting out, and provides us with a nice way to chip opponents and pivot around.

:ss/grimmsnarl:
Knuckles (Grimmsnarl) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Spirit Break
- Parting Shot

Grimmsnarl provides a role that is nice to have on a hyper-offensive team: screen support. Never have I been more thankful than when my Iron Thorns tanks a Close Combat, activates Weakness Policy, and destroys the opponent, all because of Grimmsnarl's Reflect. This is a defensive EV spread, prioritizing special bulk over physical, and it has Tera Fire for resisting Steel type moves. Light Screen and Reflect are the classic Screen pairing seen on almost every pokemon built for screen support(except Aurora Veil users, who have to be special). Spirit Break gives Grimmsnarl a damaging move to use when the situation becomes favorable, and Parting Shot provides Grimmsnarl with its favorite way of pivoting out to a teammate, making the team have an easier time at sweeping the opponent.

:ss/greninja:
Shadow (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Greninja is a ninja(duh), and is a dark type. Know what else is dark? Shadow the Hedgehog from the Sonic franchise! Anyways, this set is a basic Greninja set, which is meant for maximum damage output to activate Battle Bond as soon as possible. Greninja's offensive profile is further bolstered by the Life Orb. Water Shuriken gives Greninja the ability to revenge kill with ease, although Water Shuriken has almost let us down multiple times throughout my test runs. Dark Pulse gives Greninja a Dark STAB move, and diversifies its moveset. Ice Beam is Greninja choice coverage move, and hits Grass and Flying types for consistent damage. Finally, Hydro Pump is Greninja's most powerful STAB option in its arsenal, and has never failed me in history(unlike a certain Focus Blast).

:sv/sneasler:
Sonic (Sneasler) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
Jolly Nature
- Dire Claw
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat

Unburden Sneasler is probably the Unburden user in the metagame, and is indeed worthy of the title "Sonic." Electric Seed, of course, is to activate the ability Unburden. It also gets a nice defense boost, which is always nice. The EV spread, like almost everything on the team, is made for maximum damage and speed, which is especially true for Sneasler, which gets a massive speed boost once Unburden is activated. Dire Claw serves as a secondary STAB move, and has saved me more than once when the opponent has suddenly been put to sleep by its secondary effect. Sneasler used to have Night Slash, but I replaced it with Acrobatics after testing the team. Acrobatics is great, especially when it is boosted by Tera Flying, and it goes well with Unburden, giving Sneasler a 110 base power Flying move to hit other Fighting types like Great Tusk(gonna keep bringing this up). Swords Dance is just a boosting move, although it may not be necessary, but I just like to have it, just in case there is a chance for Sneasler to set up. Finally, Close Combat gives Sneasler a very strong Fighting STAB that can be clicked more often than Dire Claw.

:sv/iron-thorns:
Black Knight (Iron Thorns) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Wild Charge
- Ice Punch

The nickname may or may not make sense to some people, but it doesn't matter. Iron Thorns gives the team another abuser of Electric Terrain, and is a good pokemon in its own right. Weakness Policy replaced Booster Energy, as I found Iron Thorns taking super-effective hits way more than I anticipated, especially on stall teams with Dondozo. The moveset is mainly focusing on making Iron Thorns fast enough to outspeed most pokemon when at +1 speed, with minimal defense to allow it to live super-effective moves from not-so offensive pokemon. Tera Flying allows Iron Thorns to get the jump on pokemon that thought they could just spam Earthquake or Close Combat, giving Iron Thorns the opportunity to get a second(or third) Dragon Dance, which allows Iron Thorns to just bulldoze through teams. Stone Edge is its main STAB move, allowing it to either 2HKO or OHKO almost everything in the game when at +1. Wild Charge is a secondary STAB move that I sometimes refrain from using in certain situations(like when Iron Thorns is poisoned), since it has recoil damage. Finally, Ice Punch allows Iron Thorns to hit Ground types that would usually threaten it with a 4x effective Ground move.

Threats:
I didn't really find anything in particular that could destroy my team, but one thing that consistently threw a wrench into my strategy was Choice Scarf Landorus-T.
Landorus-Therian
:ss/landorus-therian:
That was the only thing I saw that could avoid Greninja's Ice Beam and +1 Iron Thorn's Ice Punch, and deal super-effective damage against both(U-Turn and Earthquake).
Dondozo
:sv/dondozo:
When my team's checks for this thing would be removed, it would basically just wall the rest of my team, and would require me to make inconsistent plays that would work once and never again
Sun Teams
:ss/venusaur: :sm/charizard-mega-y: :sv/lilligant-hisui:
If I didn't make the right choices, these team styles would just ruin me.

Replays:
Hi! I have a few suggestions that would improve this team:

:grimmsnarl: -> :iron-valiant:
1. I think compressing Grimm and Koko into a single slot would improve this team a lot. Koko under screens is not very consistent especially since its Choice Specs, so a core such as Screens Koko + Valiant would be much more consistent for this team style:

:iron valiant:
Iron Valiant @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind

:tapu koko:
Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Taunt

:air balloon: over :weakness policy:
2. This team having no ground immunes makes it a lot harder to pilot, and Thorns doesn't have the typing / bulk to live hits well under WP (4x ground weakness, not enough bulk to tank stuff like rain either under screens), I would suggest going Air Balloon if you want to work with Thorns.

https://pokepast.es/097a70948c917e39

This is the updated paste, let me know if this works out for you!

Last edited:
Hi! I have a few suggestions that would improve this team:

:grimmsnarl: -> :iron-valiant:
1. I think compressing Grimm and Koko into a single slot would improve this team a lot. Koko under screens is not very consistent especially since its Choice Specs, so a core such as Screens Koko + Valiant would be much more consistent for this team style:

:iron valiant:
Iron Valiant @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind

:tapu koko:
Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Taunt

:air balloon: over :weakness policy:
2. This team having no ground immunes makes it a lot harder to pilot, and Thorns doesn't have the typing / bulk to live hits well under WP (4x ground weakness, not enough bulk to tank stuff like rain either under screens), I would suggest going Air Balloon if you want to work with Thorns.

https://pokepast.es/097a70948c917e39

This is the updated paste, let me know if this works out for you!
Grimmsnarl does have two things over Tapu Koko: Parting Shot + Prankster. Grimmsnarl can always set up at least one screen before getting Taunted, due to Prankster's priority to status. Tapu Koko relies on being faster than the opposing Taunt user And Parting Shot does improve a situation under screens.
Since this is the situation after screens are set-up and Parting Shot is used:
-1 252+ Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Iron Thorns through Reflect: 266-314 (77.7 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
That is purely situational though.
Also, I like using Tapu Koko in a more offensive role, since it has the ability to hit more things and threaten, potentially winning the game sometimes.
And though having no ground immunities makes it hard to use, I built the team to best cover this, and it has worked well nonetheless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)