Walrus The KnightsofSonata I Just Can't Get Enough Cross-server Walrus [Walrein Wins]

24th Place
Submitted by Martin
Score: 4.9

Zeros & Ones by Minutes Til Midnight
Starts off kinda like the THX deep note, then sounds like it’s being played through speakers with a ground loop before cutting off so abruptly that I wondered if it was really a full song. I can tell the buzzing is a failed attempt at an electronic instrument, so this rates as barely bad.
23rd Place
Submitted by Lebossle
Score: 5.6

Pop It by Anamanaguchi ft. meesh
The backing is really good. The vocals… no. Too reminiscent of pitch shifting, especially in the key change.
22nd Place
Submitted by Da Letter El
Score: 6.2

Agitated by Muse
And this is the one where you know DLE didn’t listen to his theme before sending, because he picked THIS over the lush choral harmonies of Drones. I get that the song’s aim is tension and it lives up to that intended vibe, but the vocals kinda sound like they’re sung through a drive thru speaker.
21st Place
Shitposted by shubaka17
Score: 6.4

LOGS by Mister Hayden
Doot doot doot-doot doot-tah doooot doot doot
20th Place
Submitted by MyNameIsNothing
Score: 6.7

Like Acid Rain by Unknown Mortal Orchestra
At first I wasn’t sure about the vocals and I thought those sharp drums could give me a headache. But the real test of judging is how it holds up in the replays. Despite being unenthused at first, I’ve kinda come to like it.
19th Place
Submitted by BLOODYRAIN10001
Score: 7.3

Nuclear Queen by Zach CG
Gee, Blodds! How come your walrus host lets you sub TWO Chase mashups?
18th Place
Submitted by RODAN
Score: 7.6

Pulling Teeth by Green Day
The disconnect between “this sounds like early Beatles” and “wait, this is a Green Day song” is kinda weird.
17th Place
Submitted by Morgan
Score: 7.9

Get Bent by Stop At Nothing
Good shred on the guitars. My ears want to say this song’s a tribute to Sinatra and old school Vegas, but my brain says lolno.
16th Place
Submitted by SketchUp
Score: 8.0

Love Split With Blood by Dog Faced Hermans
A fine example of dissonance well done. Nice jangly chords add to the piece without wrecking it.
15th Place
Submitted by Robert Alfons
Score: 8.1

Outdoor Miner by Wire
Cool, a throwback to the first cat. The change in lead vocals really makes a difference here. I have since been told there’s no change in lead singer. The vocals are still quite nice.
14th Place
Submitted by Jellicent
Score: 8.2

Non-stop Dancing by The Jam
The punk sound of the 70s in a throwback to the early 60s. This is something I could gladly dance to.
13th Place
Submitted by Earlio
Score: 8.3

Salad Days by Mac DeMarco
Man, this reminds me of late 60s music. Makes me miss the golden oldies station I grew up with.
12th Place
Submitted by Adam
Score: 8.4

Burn Fetish by Eyedea & Abilities
I was not expecting this, though I probably should have been. I like the lyricism.
11th Place
Submitted by RandomTurtle
Score: 8.5

Inner Logicby Bad Religion
Bad Religion in good form. Idk what it’s called when a group splits into parts to sing the bridge over the chorus, but I particularly like it.
10th Place
Submitted by Myzozoa
Score: 8.6

The Thin Line by Blondie
I don’t listen to Blondie enough. I should dig through YouTube and go looking for hidden gems like this.
9th Place
Submitted by Isa
Score: 8.7

Include Me Out by Young Marble Giants
I dig this “racquetball against the back wall” percussion and the singer’s voice.
8th Place
Submitted by vonFiedler
Score: 8.8

So Serious by Electric Light Orchestra
ELO has a lot of underrated songs. Is it the generation gap or is it just a matter of underexposure? Idk.
7th Place
Submitted by Aladyyn
Score: 9.0

Aimless Arrow by Converge
That is some damn fine guitar. The vocals have an angsty timbre that complements the lyrics quite well.
6th Place
Submitted by Walrein
Score: 9.1

Home Of The Strange by Young The Giant
What can I say, I’m a sucker for vocal harmonies.
5th Place
Submitted by acidphoenix
Score: 9.2

Door Number Three by Sara Bareilles
The rhythm in the verses is pretty catchy and I love the metaphors in the lyrics. Bit of a Regina Spektor vibe.
4th Place
Submitted by Granny Pie
Score: 9.3

CNR by Weird Al Yankovic
[3:16 PM] Granny Pie: Charles Nelson Reilly is indeed a superhero, and nobody can ever tell me otherwise.
3rd Place
Submitted by LightWolf
Score: 9.4

DanganRonpa V3 Full Version by Masafumi Takada
Light’s bringing some serious funk here. It’s got that layered progression that grabs one’s attention, plus a killer groove. This is the kind of vgm that makes me think of my favorite rhythm games.
2nd Place
Submitted by Lord Gaius
Score: 9.5

Them Bones by Alice In Chains

This is the kind of sweet, sweet pandery goodness that can only be improved upon with a voice over narration by Anthony Bourdain. What is it about Alice in Chains that makes me melt into a happy puddle?
1st Place
Submitted by Steven Snype
Score: 9.6

Tessellate by Tokyo Police Club
The bell-like tones of the intro hooked me, then the vocals carried me along. This band is scratching an itch I didn’t even know I had, so much so that I added them to Pandora before I was even halfway done with judging.

Walrein, 1st!
Lord Gaius, 2nd!
Steven Snype, 3rd!

And we’re finally coming full circle, from the world map to the music map! Our final round will take place within the next two weeks, day and time TBD.

And now for our double outro:

KnightsofSonata: I'll be skyping with my grandparents to wish them a happy anniversary tomorrow, so the reveal has been moved forward to 3pm cst. If I can't make that for whatever reason, expect the reveal at 7pm cst.
KnightsofSonata: And to all people who save daylight by mandatory custom, don't forget about springing forward!

KnightsofSonata: We don't have enough songs for an Honorable Mentions round like last time, but I still want to do a bonus round to wrap up the walrus. And I will! Look forward to the Madcap Recap Finale, featuring a special surprise!

Final Round: Points On The, Uh, Other Map

I was thinking of using the same transparency format as in School Daze Redux, but instead the source artists will be listed alongside the score. The songs for the headers and outro were also sourced using the Music Map website.

The Map: Blondie

The Map: The Black Keys

23rd Place
Submitted by Da Letter El
Score: 6.7
The Map: Eagles of Death Me- *shot*
jk, it’s Muse

Hey by The Pixies

Last time I heard this song, it was being used as the instrumental in a mashup with Rihanna’s song Diamonds. I understand now why the masher cherry picked that guitar line and discarded the vocals.

14th Place
Submitted by LightWolf
Score: 8.4
The Map: Asian Kung-Fu Generation

Complication by ROOKiEZ is PUNK’D

It was a bitch and a half for Light and I to try and find working links to this song. My brain is telling me that this song is similar to the style of an American pop punk band I like, but is otherwise blanking on which band.

12th Place
Submitted by Robert Alfons
Score: 8.6
The Map: Johann Sebastian Bach

String Quartet No. 5 by Béla Bartók and performed by Takács Quartet

In my last walrus, there were times when long subs made my heart sink. But not this one. This is pretty fire and has a firm hold on my attention even when I try to use it as background music for other tasks. (Whether or not Robert wanted to see people fidget their way through a thirty minute fullplay is another matter altogether.)

7th Place
Submitted by RODAN
Score: 9.1
The Map: Nine Inch Nails

Just A Man by Faith No More

Chill and reminiscent of lounge music in the verse, then like flipping a switch it becomes an impassioned choir-backed chorus. This song grew on me hard and fast in the replays, rocketing up the round’s ranking much like Rodan himself rocketed up the leaderboard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)