SM OU The Lad V2

Hello, so around 3 months ago I posted on here with my team, and it was good. It was rated, and A V2 was born from it, which I used from then onward. The V2 of the team did surprisingly well, with a peak on the ladder of 1727, which may not seem so impressive to some, but its the highest I've ever managed considering how poor I am at the game. However, despite all this, I thought I could return and show the V2 of the team to get it rated, and maybe produce a v3 of the team. So with that, here is the team:

1569538444195.png

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes
- Water Shuriken

First off, Ash Greninja. This is my Special sweeper, which is able to hit some bulky mons extra hard thanks to the combination of its powerful STAB Hydro Pump, and the boost from specs. Dark Pulse is also a main STAB, and it can also get me some lucky flinches, which is always good. Water Shuriken is for priority and gets a boost after greninja transforms, and spikes are simply for extra hazards. EV spread is fairly basic. I sometimes run Surf over HP just for sure fire accuracy, but I'm always willing to test my luck, as missing is just a part of the game. Unless it misses 3 times in a row, that's what we call bullshit.

1569538489755.png

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 112 HP / 228 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

Next up we have Mega Mawile, my Physical Wallbreaker and Mega for the team. Play rough is its main attack, with STAB and huge power, it hits pretty much anything for good damage, and gets decent chip on stuff like ferrothorn. Sucker punch is simply for priority. Thunder punch is so mawile can hit steela and pex hard, and is a solid 2hko. Fire Fang is also useful, being able to take down ferrothorn, m-scizor, kartana, and sometimes even magnezone if it lives a hp fire. Mawile is also able to switch in to some physical attackers and get off an intimidate, which helps mawile to take some attacks better after a switch-in. 112 HP EV's are to give it a bit of extra bulk, as its hp is quite poor, but it manages decent defences. 168 in speed to allow it to outspeed some slower mons in the tier and get a heavy hit on them. The rest is dumped into attack just for extra attacking power.

1569539205881.png

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Now, there is Rotom. Rotom is a special wall and quite an important part of the team as it can switch into a lot of things and still hit for decent damage with hydro pump even without any investment in spA. Hydro pump is of course its main STAB attack, and volt switch is STAB and allows rotom to safely pivot out and provide the rest of the team with momentum. Will o Wisp is of course to cripple any physical attackers that could otherwise be a threat. Pain Split is its recovery, even though at times it can be unreliable. Item is Lefties simply for a bit of extra recovery, as I previously mentioned, pain split is sometimes unreliable, but can help with extra damage on those bulky mons.

1569539716487.png

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Defog

Flying in next is Torno-T. Torno is the teams hazard remover as well as some utility. Hurricane is its main stab attack which, despite its low accuracy, is effective against most things that take it neutral. Knock off is to remove items, as well as scout for Z-Crystals. Taunt can be detrimental to some stally mons like ferro, pex, and chansey, which allows Torno to be a decent stallbreaker thanks to a combination of Taunt and Knock Off. Defog is of course, to remove hazards. Hurricane can sometimes be bad due to its awful accuracy, however as I stated before, I'm willing to test my luck. This set notably, is a bit of a wild card, being that it either works really well or just gets offed in a couple of turns. I've had games where it has successfully shut down stalls, some where it hit 5 hurricanes in a row and ko'd half their team, and some where it missed all its hurricanes and got pood on by stone edge.

1569540579197.png

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 6 Spe
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Next to take the stage: Magearna. Mag is my defensive steel type for the team, mainly special. This set isn't very offensive, but given the right situation it can really put the work in.
Flash Cannon is just a standard stab move, which can also drop spdef. Volt switch is to pivot out safely into another teammate. Pain split is for extra recovery, heart swap is to erase any boosts, especially Z-Move Kommo-O and Victini. Once it steals some speed, it can sweep the opponents team pretty nicely, with a +1 for every ko thanks to its ability. 6 speed ivs are to underspeed celesteela so that I volt switch out after it leech seeds, so my switch in doesnt become seeded.

1569540975969.png

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

The final member of the team, it's Garchomp. Chomp is the teams rocker, which is essential for team to get chip on switch ins and break any sashes. He is also the teams Z-Move User, with Rockium-Z and stone edge. Chomp can quite easily get up a Swords Dance nab a ko or two with EQ and Continental Crush, making it the teams physical sweeper as well. However, it is prone to being outsped by scarfers on the opposing team, which will usually end its run, but not before it get a couple of kos. EQ is main STAB, SE is coverage and Z-Move, Rocks are for hazards, and SD is setup. I refused to use Outrage and/or Dragonium Z due to the massive amounts of fairies running around in OU such as Clef and Mag, which can easily switch in and absorb my Z-Move, making it far too risky to run. EV'S are self-explanatory.

So, that's about it, I look forward to reading the feedback, I'm open to all sort of suggestions on how to improve :)
And of course, here is my proof of peak, and an importable version of the team!
https://pokepast.es/ae861047b158acc7
1569541519653.png

Thanks for reading!

This probably isn't the most helpful, but in the USM OU Spread Compedium, there is a interesting torn-t pivot spread by ada.

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 88 HP / 164 Def / 32 SpA / 8 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature

Explanation:
  • 88hp & 164 def - more def is preferred cuz max hp is garb on its frailness
  • this allows it do cool things such as eat a chomp outrage after rox etc.
  • but the real reason is to survive a medi ice punch from full (super situational ik but it could save a life so yeah...)
  • the hp also gives it a nice number, odd divisible by 3.
  • 88hp + 8spD - this allows it to survive LO protean gren ice beam from full (actually very useful for lead mus)
  • 216 speed to outpace scarf tar - don't go lower
  • 28 spA lets it ohko 0/4 lopunny
  • 32 is for the 2hko on 0/0 landot
  • jk. that's a 3hko after factoring in miss

Your Chomp can't break past Cele or Skar, especially if they're carrying Toxic(more likely the latter).
Especially spdef Cele can wall most of your team, barring Rotom-W but you're only carrying Volt Switch and here;
0 SpA Rotom-Wash Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 116-138 (29.2 - 34.7%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Cele stalls out Chomp, and then it proceeds to wall your team.
Skar is less of a threat cuz of your Rotom, but it's still a notable mon.
I suggest transferring your Rotom-W to be offensive, you already have a defogger and a special wall,
but for you magearna, I suggest you compress two roles into one; AV magearna, but you'll want to max your phsydef, and it will hard counter rain teams.

Last edited:
Your Chomp can't break past Cele or Skar, especially if they're carrying Toxic(more likely the latter).
Especially spdef Cele can wall most of your team, barring Rotom-W but you're only carrying Volt Switch and here;
0 SpA Rotom-Wash Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 116-138 (29.2 - 34.7%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Cele stalls out Chomp, and then it proceeds to wall your team.
Skar is less of a threat cuz of your Rotom, but it's still a notable mon.
I suggest transferring your Rotom-W to be defensive, you already have a defogger and a special wall,
but for you magearna, I suggest you compress two roles into one; AV magearna, but you'll want to max your phsydef, and it will hard counter rain teams.
Thanks for the advice, I will try out the Magearna. Also, I have MMawile for Steela and Skarm, since T punch hits them nicely, and it can take a flamethrower from steela. also, the speed investment lets me outpseed -spe steela.

Thanks for the advice, I will try out the Magearna. Also, I have MMawile for Steela and Skarm, since T punch hits them nicely, and it can take a flamethrower from steela. also, the speed investment lets me outpseed -spe steela.
Oh that;s true.
I ran some calcs, and MMawile usually 2-shots both, rarely 3-shots Skar.
However, having the rest of your team getting walled is not a good recipe.
Idk, maybe garchomp can work, maybe I'm being overdramatic cuz MMawile is used as a late-game cleaner anyways
Here are calcs;
228+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 172-204 (51.4 - 61%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
228+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Celesteela: 288-340 (72.5 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

i think u should switch your hydro pump to surf for your ash gren because you already has a lot of low accuracy moves
sorry for my bad english and congratulations for this amazing team

Oh that;s true.
I ran some calcs, and MMawile usually 2-shots both, rarely 3-shots Skar.
However, having the rest of your team getting walled is not a good recipe.
Idk, maybe garchomp can work, maybe I'm being overdramatic cuz MMawile is used as a late-game cleaner anyways
Here are calcs;
228+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 172-204 (51.4 - 61%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
228+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Celesteela: 288-340 (72.5 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
idk but you cant be too careful these days

i think u should switch your hydro pump to surf for your ash gren because you already has a lot of low accuracy moves
sorry for my bad english and congratulations for this amazing team
Thank you :)
and sometimes i switch up hp on ash gren BECAUSE of the low accuracy, as surf can sometimes be more effective but im always willing to test my luck when its needed.

737373elj is banned, but he noticed this RMT and asked me to say that the Garchomp could run Fire Fang if you still have problems with Skarm or Steela. However, he does not know what to place it over. But maybe Fire Fang on Mawile is enough.
The team looks good to me though. :)

Cool team buddy :) I don't think you need to change anything because its already good. And yeah can you give me the link to the older version of the team please? I wanna check out both...

737373elj is banned, but he noticed this RMT and asked me to say that the Garchomp could run Fire Fang if you still have problems with Skarm or Steela. However, he does not know what to place it over. But maybe Fire Fang on Mawile is enough.
The team looks good to me though. :)
Thank you for the advice, and I'm sorry that he got banned

Gee! Thanks :) Also, your team has no choice scarfer, just asking how to revenge kill other scarfer and pokemon faster than gren?
Can't really say as I've rarely had that problem. Usually I'd just bring in gren or megamaw and hit them with that priority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)