BW OU The Level 1 Trolls

Hello, this is my first RMT. This team is based on annoying the opponent but works despite being gimmicky.

Team Building Process:

I wanted to base a team around an annoying critter, Cottonee / Monmen so that was my first Pokemon.

I immediately knew that Grass-Types would be trouble due to immunity to leech seed. Weather-Starters also broke Cottonee's Focus Sash, so I needed something to deal with both too. In comes Blaziken with his new Dream World ability.

I wanted to cover Blaziken's weaknesses so that he can support Cottonee, so I added Rotom-W, who resisted Flying, Ground and Water. He also helps deal with things like Jellicent and his Volt Switch lets me safely bring in Cottonee and ease predictions. This also added a Special Attacker to my team.

At this point, I was quite stumped on what to add to the team because it looked pretty good so far, but then I realized that Whimsicott did not evolve by Level-Up. Instead, it just needed a Sunny Stone. Having two Pokemon that play the same role on the team makes it twice as fun. He also has a few nice purposes outside of doing what Cottonee does, which I will reveal later.

I realized that Rapid Spin, Priority, Magic Mirror and switching foes cause problems for my team. I added Shandera so that he can trap things and eliminate them while resisting Bullet Punch and being immune to Mach Punch and Rapid Spin. Espeon and Xatu won't enjoy not being able to flee either.

Ferrothorn is the last member to be added to my team. His weaknesses are covered by the rest of the team members and I needed something bulky to take a few hits while ensuring some Leech Seed support for Cottonee and Whimiscott. He can also lay down Spikes to prevent too much switching.

Cottonee (TrollJr) @ Focus Sash (Level 1)

Ability: Prankster (Mischievous Heart)
EV / IV: 0 HP IV, 0 Defense IV
Nature: Hasty
Move 1: Leech Seed
Move 2: Substitute
Move 3: Encore
Move 4: Endeavor

This guy is pretty much what my team is based around. Because of his ability Prankster, all his moves that are not attacks get an increased priority. He is usually my lead unless I can see a Pokemon that brings weather or has Fake Out / Priority in the opposing lead spot. This also applies to when I see a Xatu or Espeon, knowing they have the ability Magic Mirror. Leech Seed and Substitutes are staples on this set and are mainly it's reason of success. I usually use Leech Seed on the first turn as my Focus Sash will save me from any attack. I would be healed back to full health at the end of the turn by the health sapped from my opponent. I can then immediately use Substitute and stall out the opponent. Encore lets my Cottonee set up again outside the lead spot if he can trap the opponent on a non-attacking move. The use of Stealth Rocks are also quite common on leads, so I usually get a free turn by using Encore. Endeavor takes the last spot of Cottonee for Taunt users and the occasional free turn. If my opponent Taunts me right after I use Leech Seed, I can immediately go for the free KO by lowering his HP nearly to 1 and let Leech Seed pick him off.

0 HP IVs allow me to have 11 HP at Level 1, which means I can set up 5 Substitutes with 2 HP each which many other Pokemon cannot do without Leftovers. 0 Defense IVs forces Download users to get an Attack boost instead of a Special Attack.

Blaziken @ Leftovers (Level 100)

Ability: Speed Boost
EV / IV: 76 HP, 252 Attack, 180 Speed
Nature: Jolly
Move 1: Substitute
Move 2: Toxic
Move 3: Flare Blitz
Move 4: Hi Jump Kick

Blaziken is here to support Cottonee and defeat foes that Cottonee cannot deal with. Hi Jump Kick can defeat Abomasnow and Tyranitar off the bat. Hippowdon won't like Toxic and I usually scout out if they are going to attack me with a Substitute on Cottonee. If they do not, and instead use Stealth Rock, they become Encore bait and they are no long a problem, meaning I won't have to bring in Blaziken. Substitute is also to scout for Ghosts aiming to come in on a Hi Jump Kick. Flare Blitz is a powerful STAB to hit Grass-types like Ferrothorn and Serperior with. Toxic lets me wear down Jellicent behind a Substitute.

The 180 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed Base 130 Speed Pokemon after a Speed Boost. Max Attack is there to hit as hard as possible with my two STABs. The rest of the EVs are put there for bulk to take Tyranitar's Crunches and Blizzards from Abomasnow.

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs (Level 100)

Ability: Levitate
EV / IV: 156 HP, 196 Special Attack, 156 Speed
Nature: Modest
Move 1: Hydro Pump
Move 2: Thunderbolt
Move 3: Hidden Power [Fire]
Move 4: Volt Switch

Rotom-W gives me a Special Attacker and he resists 3 out of 4 of Blaziken's weaknesses. The change in Generation 5 gave Rotom-W the ability to fight back against Tyranitars with his new STAB Hydro Pump. Thunderbolt is there for coverage and secondary STAB. Hidden Power [Fire] allows me to deal with things like Ferrothorn and Scizor, who loves trying to Bullet Punch my Cottonee.

With Choice Specs equiped, a Modest Nature and 196 Special Attack EVs, Rotom-W can 1HKO Bold 252/0 Jellicent with Thunderbolt without Stealth Rock up. (Factoring Special Attack drop from Hidden Power [Fire]) 156 Speed EVs lets Rotom-W outspeed many things, including max speed Tyranitar and things that EV just to outpace max speed Tyranitar. (Factoring in the Speed drop from Hidden Power [Fire]) The rest of the EVs are placed into HP to boost Rotom-W's bulk to switch into attacks multiple times.

Whimsicott (Troll) @ Balloon (Level 2)

Ability: Prankster
EV / IV: 252 Spe / 0 Defense IV
Nature: Hasty
Move 1: Encore
Move 2: Leech Seed
Move 3: Endeavor
Move 4: Substitute

This is basicly a second Cottonee and is my second Level 1 on the team. In the case that I have to sacrefice either Whimsicott or Cottonee, I usually use Leech Seed so that my other little bugger can come in and immediately stall with Substitute. Whimsicott's item is what makes him interesting though. My team has a few Ground-type weaknesses, which Whimsicott can easily come in on and then Encore them for a free turn, which I use for Leech Seed, setting up itself and Cottonee for stalling. As explained earlier, Substitute and Leech Seed are staples and Encore is a must for trapping Ground-type moves and set-up moves. Endeavor is for Taunt users and to be used together with Leech Seed to score kills for the team.

The EVs for Whimsicott is slightly different from Cottonee's. Whimsicott's HP stat is too high for 11 HP substitutes, so I boosted it's HP up to 15 at Level 2 so that it can at least make 4 Substitutes. 0 Defense IVs are for Download users. The Speed EVs let me outrun other Level 1 and 2 Pokemon.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf (Level 100)

Ability: Shadow Tag
EV / IV: 252 Special Attack, 204 Speed, 52 HP
Nature: Modest
Move 1: Shadow Ball
Move 2: Overheat
Move 3: Energy Ball
Move 4: Hidden Power [Fighting]

Shandera fills in the fifth slot of my team and he is the reason this team is played in Dream World OU instead of Standard OU. (His ability has not been released yet) He serves as a revenge-killer and traps things that cause my Whimsicott and Cottonee trouble. Scizor and Breloom is roasted by Overheat and Conkeldurr is seriously dented if not taken down. Things like Ferrothorn, Forretress and other Grass-types won't enjoy taking one either. Shadow Ball is a second STAB and deals with Ghost-types that are immune to Cottonee and Whimsicott's Endeavors as well as Magic Mirror users like Xatu and Espeon. Energy Ball is mainly just filler, but it helps against some Water pokemon. Hidden Power Fighting is mainly to dent Tyranitar. His immunity to Rapid Spin (Ruins Leech Seed), immunity and resistance to common Priority (Killing Whimsicott or Cottonee before they can do anything), ability to trap (Stops and defeats the opposing counter to Whimsicott and Cottonee), lure Ground-type attacks (For Whimsicott to abuse), as well as revenge-kill things make Chandelure an important member of my team.

204 Speed EVs lets me outspeed Choice Scarf Tyranitar and Pokemon with base 116 Speed. (Yes, not 115) Max Special Attack EVs with a Modest Nature allows me to 1HKO Espeon with Shadow Ball before it can do anything. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP for bulk as usual.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers (Level 100)

Ability: Iron Thorns
EV / IV: 252 HP, 48 Defense, 208 Special Defense
Nature: Impish
Move 1: Leech Seed
Move 2: Spikes / Stealth Rock
Move 3: Thunder Wave
Move 4: Power Whip

As I mentioned earlier, I needed a bulky Pokemon for my last slot to take hits because Blaziken, Shandera, and Rotom-W are not exactly meant to take hits even though they have some bulk invested in them. Ferrothorn gives my team some entry hazards that prevent the opponent from switching out of Leech Seed too much. Ferrothorn can also supply Leech Seed himself, letting Whimsicott or Cottonee come in without having to set up some themselves. Thunder Wave has a chance of Paralyzing my opponent, which may give Blaziken, Whimsicott or Cottonee free Substitutes to abuse. Power Whip rounds up the set because Gyro Ball does not work well with Thunder Wave and Power Whip is the next most powerful attack. Another bonus about Ferrothorn is that he can finish off Pokemon who have been Endeavored with Iron Thorns. This lets me beat things with Magic Guard and Grass-types as well.

The EVs are from the current OU Analysis for Ferrothorn, allowing a good amount of bulk on both spectrums. I did not run a 0 Speed IV with a Relaxed / Sassy nature because I am not using Gyro Ball and it gives me a head start against other Ferrothorns.

Species Clause - Using two of the same Pokemon is not allowed. Whimsicott =/= Cottonee.

@ Zebstrika and Cottonee
Weather does not really worry me outside the lead spot because that prevents me from setting up Leech Seed right away. (Sandstorm will kill me before the Leech Seed heals me)

Rapid Spin, I did think about, though only for Toxic Spikes. Stealth Rocks and Spikes don't exactly bother me because I can heal back to full health with 1 Leech Seed recovery.

Are you the same nubknightz who goes to stuy??

Anyways......

This is a pretty good team, and you should definitely use the advice the people before me have given. Without a doubt.

Good catch. I'm going to change it to 100 (With Proteins) and see how it goes.
Actually, they've changed the mechanics so EVs are automatically recaluculated when you get them, not on level up; and you can also use feathers/wings to increase EVs without levelling up.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Haha, I hate lvl 1 pokes >_<
Try out Aron:

Aron @ Shell Bell (lvl1)
Nature: Jolly (Pretty sure it doesnt matter)
EVs:
Moves:
~ Substitute
~ Endeavour
~ Toxic
~ Swagger

Haha. This dude is even more annoying than Monmen because it is immune to Sandstorm, and has Sturdy, which is like having an automatic Focus Sash! Endeavour heals Aron, and the rest of the set is pretty much filler. Substitute can be used for the annoying factor, and Toxic is useful for poisoning Ghost-type Pokemon that come in to block endeavour, notably Jellicent. Swagger can be cool to add confusion to the mix, but try to use it on mainly Special attackers.

Good Luck with the team! (and good luck not getting raged at ;D)

@ Spencer
Yes. Hi.

@ Mooo
Aron has problems with Entry Hazards which are very common though. I have another team with Aron already but it isn't as successful.

Haha, I hate lvl 1 pokes >_<
Try out Aron:

Aron @ Shell Bell (lvl1)
Nature: Jolly (Pretty sure it doesnt matter)
EVs:
Moves:
~ Substitute
~ Endeavour
~ Toxic
~ Swagger

Haha. This dude is even more annoying than Monmen because it is immune to Sandstorm, and has Sturdy, which is like having an automatic Focus Sash! Endeavour heals Aron, and the rest of the set is pretty much filler. Substitute can be used for the annoying factor, and Toxic is useful for poisoning Ghost-type Pokemon that come in to block endeavour, notably Jellicent. Swagger can be cool to add confusion to the mix, but try to use it on mainly Special attackers.

Good Luck with the team! (and good luck not getting raged at ;D)
I saw an epic Aron set with most of the same stuff as this, but it also had a Hippopotas in it.

Hippopotas @ Sand Rock (lvl1)
Nature: Random
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs:
Moves:
~ Toxic
~ Sandstorm

This Hippopotas is just to set up Sandstorm. If the foe does not try to kill it and sets up, poison it with toxic. If the sandstorm runs out before his death, just set up another one.

Aron @ Shell Bell (lvl1)
Ability: Sturdy
EVs/IVs: 0 HP IVs or EVs
Moves:
~Endeavor
~Toxic

This is the trolly part. The foe will attempt to knock out Aron but it will hang on thanks to sturdy. You'll use Endeavor to bring the foe down to it being at extremely low HP (That's why we gave it 0 HP IVs). The foe will get hurt by Sandstorm/Toxic and die due to no HP IVs. Aron will then recover with the Shell Bell.

This set can be countered by many things...
~Ghost Types
~Rock, Ground, or Steel Types
~Weather Teams
~Trick/Knock off
~Multi-strike Moves
~Lots of other things

I saw an epic Aron set with most of the same stuff as this, but it also had a Hippopotas in it.

Hippopotas @ Sand Rock (lvl1)
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs:
Moves:
~ Toxic
~ Sandstorm

This Hippopotas is just to set up Sandstorm. If the foe does not try to kill it and sets up, poison it with toxic. If the sandstorm runs out before his death, just set up another one.

Aron @ Shell Bell (lvl1)
Ability: Sturdy
EVs/IVs: 0 HP IVs or EVs
Moves:
~Endeavor
~Toxic

This is the trolly part. The foe will attempt to knock out Aron but it will hang on thanks to sturdy. You'll use Endeavor to bring the foe down to it being at extremely low HP (That's why we gave it 0 HP IVs). The foe will get hurt by Sandstorm/Toxic and die due to no HP IVs. Aron will then recover with the Shell Bell.

This set can be countered by many things...
~Ghost Types
~Rock, Ground, or Steel Types
~Weather Teams
~Trick/Knock off
~Multi-strike Moves
~Lots of other things
Just so you know this thread is 3 years dead o3o

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)