Walrus The Masked Walrus [On Hiatus]

Mask up and get hyped, because this walrus is game changing!

What is Walrus? It's a forum game where you submit songs to me according to various categories and I rank and score them based on how much I like them.

To join, simply sign up by filling out the special Masked Walrus Google form, including YouTube, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, or Vimeo links to your picks.

PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP IN THIS THREAD. ONLY SIGNUPS DONE THROUGH THE GOOGLE FORM WILL BE COUNTED.

One by one, categories will be revealed in the official walrus Discord server and the respective threads. Aim for the highest overall score, or play along for fun and the love of music.

Scores will be logged and tracked via Google spreadsheet. Scoring is done on a 0.0-10.0 points range based on how much I enjoy a song and how well it fits the respective category. My scoring system runs along the same lines as MyAnimeList: 5s are boring, 6s are okay, 7s are good, 8s are great, 9s are awesome, and if you get a 4 or below ya dun goofed. Will anyone send me a 10 point masterpiece? We’ll see…

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This walrus has a special mechanic:

For those of you who don’t know what The Masked Singer is, various celebrities perform cover songs while wearing elaborate costumes to hide their identities and keep the judges guessing as they aim to be the best.

As such, this walrus has 100% anonymous contestants.

Instead of contacting me through the usual methods to submit your songs, you will sign up and submit your songs by filling out a Google form designed specifically for this walrus. When you fill out the form, pick out a simple pseudonym that you’ll be referred to for the entirety of the walrus. The further removed from your usual username and any alts you may have, the better. I won’t know who you are, your competition won’t know who you are, nobody will know who you are until the walrus ends and we all reveal our secret identities.

If you want to add more mystery to your musical history, though, the Google form also contains five optional questions that will let you sprinkle a few clues to your identity into the game. You can answer as many or as few of these questions as you want, and the three questions with the most answers will be included in the walrus. Every third round, one of the Game Changing Questions and the contestants’ answers for that clue will be featured in the reveal (both live and threads).

Furthermore, the three podium finishers of this walrus will each receive a signature banner featuring their username, their submission name, and the Masked Singer judge of their choice. (Banner sizes limited to 500x100. Specific quality level of banners not guaranteed. Host reserves the right to select and use suitable images of the chosen judges.) If the same contestant wins more than one spot in the podium due to alt submissions, they have the right to gift a banner to another contestant of their choosing.

Click here to access the Google form: https://forms.gle/xhWqRtPAyYqp4g687 [NOTE: Form is now closed]

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Additional rules are as follows:
  1. Any categories you fail to submit for will automatically be scored 0. Be sure to fill out the Google form in full.
  2. Any submissions which don't fit the qualifying requirements of their respective category will automatically be scored 0. For example, if I had a category about guitars and you subbed an acapella song, you would catfail.
  3. Do not send me anything from this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QzhnRjOrc9XyTHrcbNOAC4dz70IUKhizvzZK9_rDq8U/edit?usp=sharing
    This is the document I use to track Rules 3 and 4 in my walruses. Be sure to use Ctrl + F to make sure your intended submissions aren’t something I’ve subbed or used before.
    Sending me something from this document will result in a TWO POINT DEDUCTION off your score for that particular round.
  4. Your submission will catfail if I can't bring myself to listen to it in its entirety. This pertains not just to the banlist found in Rule 8, but also to anything pitch shifted/chipmunked, played on a kazoo/vuvuzela/air horn, and/or painfully out of tune.
    I will try to force myself to listen to godawful songs if I have to in this walrus, but if you value scoring high on the leaderboard, then this is not the hill you die on.
  5. If two or more players submit the same song for a category, they will be given a single score and the players involved will tie in that round's rankings. This type of tie will be expressed in dense ranking (eg. 1223) rather than standard competition ranking (eg. 1224).
  6. Because of the nature of this walrus, staggered subs and/or sub swapping will not be possible.
  7. If you send me a 240p or 144p vid and a better version is available, I reserve the right to switch to the better version. I also have a habit of doing this with music videos that vary noticeably from the official audio.
  8. My ban list is Nickelback, Owl City, Operation Ivy, The Neighbourhood, Kings of Leon, US band Backlash (Swedish band Backlash is okay), and Bloodhound Gang. This isn’t the usual overplay banlist, it’s a never-play banlist. As such, refer to Rule 4.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Making An Entrance
Let’s start with something that really lets us know who you are… or who you want us to THINK you are. Send me the song that would play as you walk out onto the actual Masked Singer stage. Think of it like a wrestling theme; the song you’re sending me should be a song you’d want to associate with your anonymous persona.
Example songs used by past Masked Singer contestants:
Rebel Yell by Billy Idol (used by The Turtle)
Who Let The Dogs Out by Baha Men (used by The Rottweiler)

Behind The Mask
The Masked Singer is all about the masks. So send me a song with the word “mask” in the lyrics.
Examples:
Phantom of the Opera by Nightwish
Sad But True by Metallica

Well-Covered Redux
Take it from the Masked Singer contestants: sometimes you just gotta put your own spin on it. Send me a cover song that sounds noticeably different from its original version. Please include a link to the OG song so I can compare the two while judging.
Examples:
House of the Rising Sun by Jeremy Renner
(compared to House of the Rising Sun by The Animals)
Mad World by Gary Jules
(compared to Mad World by Tears for Fears)

The Star Power Suite: Sing Out
There’s a crucial element without which The Masked Singer wouldn’t be possible. No, I’m not talking about the costumes, I’m talking about the celebrities. Let’s give props to them with this suite of categories. Send me songs about musicians, music, and/or the music industry.
Examples:
4AM Monday by Watsky
Barracuda by Heart

The Star Power Suite: Film Favorites
There’s a crucial element without which The Masked Singer wouldn’t be possible. No, I’m not talking about the costumes, I’m talking about the celebrities. Let’s give props to them with this suite of categories. Send me songs about actors, movies, TV, and/or their respective industries.
Examples:
Lillian by Antsy McClain
Old School Hollywood by SOAD

The Star Power Suite: Play Ball!
There’s a crucial element without which The Masked Singer wouldn’t be possible. No, I’m not talking about the costumes, I’m talking about the celebrities. Let’s give props to them with this suite of categories. Send me songs about athletes and/or sports, including songs written for and/or used by various sports leagues.
Examples:
Come with Me Now by Kongos
Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne

Hidden Talents
Just like how the best unmaskings are the ones you don’t see coming, sometimes the best songs are the ones you aren’t expecting. Send me a song that is a hidden track on its respective album.
Examples:
Arto by System Of A Down
Blood by My Chemical Romance

Obligatory Gamechanger
We’re doing a pretty good job of keeping on theme. But there’s still something missing… We need a surprise twist to shake things up. Submit a song you think walrus host BLOODYRAIN10001 would like. And if you actually are Bloods, how would we know? Well I suppose I might know, since Bloody will be the special guest judge for this round. Not only that, but your submission for this round will receive TWO scores, one from him and one from me. Now THAT’S a gamechanger!
Examples (provided by Bloody himself):
Faceless by Whispered
Heaven by DJ Mariko Goto

Going Out In Style
It’s the finale and you know what that means. We need to end this walrus with a bang. Something grandiose, something BIG. So send me a song that you would describe as bold, epic, or intense. Let's have a spectacular finale and blow the roof off this sucker!
Examples:
Blood on My Name by The Brothers Bright
Nasty by Datsik & Virtual Riot

Q: What’s your taste in music like?
A: Almost everything listed in the walrus use doc linked in the ruleset is something I like. I do have a few songs marked as being subbed to various “bad songs” categories, though you can check the banlist and Rule 4 to see what I can’t stand. Also, some songs are listed twice because the doc specifies between stuff I’ve used and stuff I’ve subbed.

Q: 2 point deduction? Seriously?!
A: I’m kinda putting my neck on the line by sharing this doc. It contains the songs I’ve used for my own walruses- including walruses I have planned for the future- and songs I’ve submitted to others’ walruses. This is the KoC core-a-palooza doc, full of opportunities for people to commit the cardinal sin of throwing my own example songs back in my face. So fucking don’t or you’ll get punished for it.

Q: Can I sign up more than once?
A: Nothing stopping you from doing that and I have no qualms about it in general. Just note that if you send me the same songs in multiple accounts, you'll literally be tying with yourself and where’s the fun in that?

Q: Do I have to submit my songs with anonymous formatting, too?
A: It’s not necessary. Barring part of my last walrus, I usually prefer knowing the title and artist of the song beforehand, since it helps with cross checking qualifiers before their respective judging periods.

Q: Masked Singer, hell yeah! So that means there’s eliminations, right?
A: Not this time. I thought it’d be too much to add eliminations on top of the gimmicks already present in this walrus. If the anonymous contestants format works out well here and people REALLY want to put their scores on the line, maybe I could go out of my way to incorporate some form of eliminations into a Masked Singer Season Two.

Q: What would your Masked Singer theme be?
A: Panic Station or Knights of Cydonia are way too obvious, so… not those. I’d probably completely avoid Muse and a few other bands I’m known to have a penchant for, so as not to tip my hand. Instead, I’d pick a song that has some sort of connection to whatever animal, mythical creature, anthropomorphic foodstuff, etc I’d choose as the basis for my Masked Singer costume. (Though if this were a wrestling theme song category without any anonymity involved, I’d go full-on bastardass heel and pick Ugly Faces by Watsky.)

Q: Seriously, I don’t think you’d make an entire Masked Singer themed walrus if you didn’t have an idea of your own costume and entry song. Spill, you Nick Cannon wannabe.

A: Well, you’re right. I do have an ideal costume (Masksona? Is that a thing?) and I’m willing to tell you all about it… after signups end. Outside of the usual trappings of the walrus format, I try not to actively influence what songs contestants submit. If I say nothing right now, it’s 100% coincidence if someone enters with my chosen alias or sends me my preferred theme song.

Q: That sounds to me like you’re gonna fill out the form and submit songs to your own walrus.
A: You’re overlooking the part where, as people who have spent a lot of time and effort picking out categories, examples, intros, and outros, technically every walrus host submits to their own walrus.

Q: Does it have to be “mask” verbatim?
A: Near-match words like masked, masks, etc. qualify for Behind The Mask. However, there’s plenty of exact match options to choose from, so as tempting as it would be to send me a song with a synonym like Balaclava by Arctic Monkeys, that wouldn’t qualify.

Q: Do remixes count for Well-Covered?
A: They didn’t in the original (which was back in my first walrus). I think the twist in this redux isn’t so narrow that I would have to open it to remixes as well. But don’t let it stop you from sending me remixes in other categories.

Q: What about remastered versions?
A: Remasters of your cover song and/or og song are just fine.

Q: Gary Jules isn’t the original? Mind. Blown.
A: Sometimes the most popular version of a song can be mistaken for the original when it’s actually a cover. This is the other reason I want you to include the source song with your sub.

Q: Sports songs? I don’t know any sports songs!
A: Well, if you remember a popular song that was played in, say… a FIFA World Cup match or a Superbowl halftime show? That’d count. Heck, the only reason I know that Kongos song is because it was a staple of Nascar broadcasts.

Q: Are pregap tracks hidden tracks?
A: Yes, pregap tracks qualify for Hidden Talents.

Q: Since when is dubstep bold and spicy, I mean epic?
A: Just wanted to show that you don’t have to lock yourself into a specific genre for the cat. Also, did you even listen to that song? It’s freaking Datsik, of course it goes hard.

Q: Where’s your usual list of headers and outros?
A: Since they’re listed in the link located in the regular rules, I’ve marked them for visibility/searchability. Use control+F and the word “masked” in the Use List doc to find them. Also, the header and outro Bloody picked are Augmented Ojii-chan by Dempagumi.inc and Angel Eyes by Brisk & Ham.

Deadline for sending in your submissions is October 1st. There is no contestant cap and multiple/alt submissions are encouraged!

Last edited:
NOTE: Since Well-Covered Redux is about songs that sound noticeably different from the songs being covered, there is no issue with sending a cover version of a song from the Walrus Use List linked in the rules.

Just be aware that there are quite a few cover songs in that list, and Rule 3 will still apply to those specific cover songs.

Our Current Contestants List:

1. Amethyst
  2. Nikki
  3. Pasta
  4. The Cyclopes
  5. Hanuman
  6. Princess Bumblebee
  7. Lily of the Valley
  8. Cockroach
  9. The Blown Cover
  10. The Cartoon Hero
  11. Curly Insides
  12. Golden Retriever
  13. Pichu the Former Star
  14. Brickboy
  15. Cloud
  16. Kermit
  17. Tabby Cat
  18. Sugar
  19. White Rabbit

Last edited:
After one week of signups, I have checked and logged six contestants' songs. That's 0.86 contestants per day! Come on in, don't be shy! Whether you're joining for the first time or considering multisubbing a walrus for the twelfth time, all are welcome to the Masked Walrus stage!

Signups have been slow going, but we have 8 contestants so far. The fewest contestants in a single season of the US version of The Masked Singer is 12, so I want to aim for at least that many. But I can't do it without YOU!

Also, Season 10 gonna start before signups end lol

Note: In keeping with the theme of the walrus, I've decided to incorporate all five Game Changing Clues into the game by doing a Roster Reveal post at the end of signups. Similar to how one or two clues are briefly revealed in infographic style when a contestant first walks out on stage, the Roster Reveal will include the answers to two of the clues.

Answering any of the Game Changing Clue questions is still optional.

Dear The B,

I've accommodated your request, but don't worry about it. This is all in good fun and even the matter of your concern is apropos to the theme. So don't sweat it and enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
KnightsofCydonia/Panic Station

The initial goal has been met. We now have 12 contestants! But we still have over a month left for signups, which is plenty of time for you to join up or send in an alt submission.

The number of contestants that will compete in the upcoming Season 10 is 16. So let's make that our first stretch goal!

Note: Radio/Video by The Cog is Dead has been spontaneously added as a bonus outro to Category 3 and as such falls under Rule 3 even though it's not on the Use List atm. I will strive to keep you informed of any other spontaneous additions to headers and outros in the future to prevent accidental rule breaks.

Hello everyone, and welcome to... The Masked Walrus!

I'm your host, MC Punk Zombie.

I am super stoked to be hosting this walrus for y'all. Our lineup is STACKED with anonymous contestants looking to razzle dazzle us in nine series themed categories and win a magnificent... banner image for their signature.

Okay, okay, so it's not as impressive as The Golden Mask Trophy, but hey, it's something!

Over the past two months, we have collected submissions from 19 contestants eager to shine in the limelight while leaving us guessing as to whose wheelhouses these songs are coming from.

Without further ado, here are our 19 Masked Walrus contestants in alphabetical order:

Third Favorite Hobby: Math

Third Favorite Hobby: Singing in forum mafia
Never play a ____ song in public: Walrus Use List

Third Favorite Hobby: Reading, but Forum Mafia is NOT my 2nd favorite hobby.
Never play a ____ song in public: boy genius

Never play a ____ song in public: Taylor Swift

Third Favorite Hobby: putting things in my mouth
Never play a ____ song in public: bad

[ERROR: CLUES NOT FOUND]

Third Favorite Hobby: Netflix and chill
Never play a ____ song in public: a cursing heavy song

Third Favorite Hobby: Losing in Anni
Never play a ____ song in public: Uncle Jimmy and the Fucksticks

Third Favorite Hobby: cooking
Never play a ____ song in public: Arctic Monkeys

Third Favorite Hobby: drawing/painting
Never play a ____ song in public: kpop

Third Favorite Hobby: SS OU
Never play a ____ song in public: jazz (usually)

Third Favorite Hobby: strategy board games
Never play a ____ song in public: anime

Third Favorite Hobby: vehicular manslaughter with a 2001 Chevrolet Trailblazer on December 1st, 2008.
Never play a ____ song in public: Literally put nothing there the sentence works fine as is due to a little thing I like to call 'hating other human beings!'

Third Favorite Hobby: Keeping up with current affairs. I mean, brushing my hair, because I'm a princess!
Never play a ____ song in public: Kanye West

Third Favorite Hobby: writing fanfic

Third Favorite Hobby: climbing
Never play a ____ song in public: Carly Rae Jepsen

I sincerely apologize to anyone who's bothered by the inconsistency of the impromptu crop jobs seen above.

And now for the moment you've all been waiting for: when the heck is this punk MC gonna do his first reveal? As apropos to me as it would be to start the walrus in TBD mode, I've actually set a date for Round 1. (Knock wood that my busy schedule this month doesn't lead to a delay or two.)

Round 1
Making An Entrance
Thursday 10/12 2pm CDT (7pm GMT)

Hello, everyone, and welcome to The Masked Walrus! I'm your host MC Punk Zombie. Did you enjoy my walk-in song? Quite fitting for a zombie, am I right?

I am glad and proud to be hosting a walrus based on one of my favorite shows, albeit a stripped down version. Honestly, I wish we had an actual panel of four judges for this walrus, but, well... I ain't got the je ne sais Quas required for that. Man, the Smogonites aren't even gonna get that one.

What we do have in store for this reveal are a ton of ties and bit of a diatri- I mean, running theme to the writeups.

One thing to note for this walrus: we're changing our thread format slightly, beyond the new hostly gabber that I'm trying out. While the entries in the lineup will be spoiled as usual, these spoilers will be marked by the respective contestants' names instead of the titles of the songs they submitted. So if you're curious about why someone did so well or so poorly... you'll just have to open the spoiler and take a look.

Anyway, without further ado, let's wrap up our icebreaker and get down to brass tacks.

Episode 1: Making An Entrance

Our header is Funkytown by Lipps. Inc (used by The Taco).

19th Place
Submitted by Kermit
Score: 4.4

Axel F by Crazy Frog

Moose, is that you? Or are you just someone to whom we should never pass the aux. Can I just pretend you sent me Disco Frog or Movin’ Right Along and we never speak of this again?
18th Place
Submitted by Golden Retriever
Score: 7.7

Zombie by The Cranberries

As you heard earlier, this isn’t my idea of a zombie’s intro music. Pretty weird choice for a golden retriever, too. The song itself is pleasant enough, but I don’t think this is a good dogfit or a good catfit.

17th Place
Submitted by Hanuman
Score: 7.9

Harambe by Young Thug

Hanuman is the Hindu god of wisdom, strength, courage, devotion, and self-discipline. Harambe is the Millennial and Zoomer god of tragic optimism, vaguely ominous portents, worst timeline theory, and postmodern apocalypticism.

I have no idea what this song has to do with either of them. This seems entirely like the wrong category for this song. I kinda want you to send me this again in a future walrus so I can try to do right by it. But here it’s just wrong.
16th Place
Submitted by Lily of the Valley
Score: 8.2

Poison by Alice Cooper

More like Lily of the Valley of the Shadow of Death.

This song is kinda mid, tho, and I’d probably be saying that even if Alice hadn’t pissed me off recently.
Tied for 14th Place
Submitted by Pichu the Former Star
Score: 8.3

Might as Well by Scott Wozniak

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is what you said to yourself when you joined this walrus. This is so benignly cheesy that I actually kinda like it. I’m getting some Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog vibes, or at least Commentary! The Musical.

But is there an actual former star here coming out of retirement for day/world saving and also some semblance of catfit? Idk, man. It ain’t Pokemon music, that’s for sure.
Tied for 14th Place
Submitted by White Rabbit

Cherub Rock by Smashing Pumpkins

You have a whole damn song named after you. You know that, right? This is a fine enough sub, but this makes about as much sense as walking out to Remember The Name. Is Jefferson Airplane too good for you or what?
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by The Blown Cover
Score: 8.4

Caffeine by Jeff Williams & Casey Lee Williams feat. Lamar Hall

Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by Cockroach

Spoiler by Hyper

Oh, this sounds familiar. Is this an actual wrestling theme or have I heard it somewhere else? Oh, wait, it’s Cyberpunk music. It’s good as all-purpose entrance music, but it’s missing that specific Cockroach connection.
11th Place
Submitted by Pasta
Score: 8.5

Sidewinder by Taisei Iwasaki

>never play an anime song in public

What does Pasta think the vc is, I wonder.

As dope as this song is, it’s lacking in pastanality. There actually are some suitable pasta-related songs out there if you go looking for them.
10th Place
Submitted by The Cyclopes
Score: 8.6

A Jack With One Eye by Texas Is The Reason

I’ll admit it may be hard to come up with something that can hold its own against the previous Cyclops walk-in song Cyclops Rock, but I was expecting more songs this round that had some sort of lyrical connection to their respective contestants. Even The Taco had a pun to reach for in his walk-in song (talk about it/taco ‘bout it). This one has the potential to go over the heads of hypothetical viewers who aren’t already familiar with Texas Is The Reason. Or at least cause a sudden activity spike on Shazam and a bunch of people going “Ohhhh, because it’s called A Jack With One Eye”. Good thing I like this song, cuz this isn't a category where titles can carry.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by Amethyst
Score: 8.7

Legendary Stray by DEMONDICE

Is it too much to ask for a tongue in cheek sub of Run The Jewels? Or Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? I feel kinda bad about robbing an awesome song like this over the lack of catfit.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by Brickboy

The Wall by Heet Mob

You took the category description literally and still fit the cat to a tee. Now the only question is how much I like it.
Tied for 7th Place
Submitted by Curly Insides

Serotonin by girl in red

So is Curly Insides a reference to brains? I was thinking intestines, but the whole point of this is I don’t really know. Oh, this is one of those songs that you never wanna see used by an ad company. (I really oughta make a walrus category about that.) I’m not exactly sure Fox’d let you air this, either, despite the potential catfit. But I dig it nonetheless.
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by Princess Bumblebee
Score: 8.8

Nah Neh Nah by Vaya Con Dios

There is an air of casual elegance in these lyrics that could suit a princess. This is making me picture her royal highness with some high class 1920s couture incorporated into her costume design, and ngl that’d be cute as hell.
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by Sugar

Sugar by Sufjan Stevens

Okay, so no kombucha mushroom people. But plenty of Sufjan Stevens to come.
Tied for 3rd Place
Submitted by Cloud
Score: 8.9

Haunted House by Sir Babygirl

I’m guessing that “And I can't tell if I'm drowning or floating / So I just keep on going, going” is the cloudy reference here. Not the strongest of connections, but hey, it’s something. It also helps that this kinda slaps.
Tied for 3rd Place
Submitted by Nikki

Nikki by Forever The Sickest Kids

Now this is what I’m talking about when I mean catfit. That chorus would work well for an entrance song for Nikki. The Robot walks out to Mr. Roboto and you go “Yup, that’s a robot”. Nikki walks out to her own name and you go “Yep, that must be Nikki”. It’s as simple as that.
2nd Place
Submitted by Tabby Cat
Score: 9.2

The Lovecats by The Cure

Jaunty and fun. This kitty has some catfit to it, too. I can definitely picture it as a walk-in song on The Masked Singer. This one’s gonna get stuck in my head, isn’t it?
1st Place
Submitted by The Cartoon Hero
Score: 9.4

CARTOON HEROES (Speedy Mix) by Barbie Young

The pitch here is actually enjoyable. It’s energetic, it’s apropos to the character, it’s got me dancing in my chair. This reminds me of the moments in the S10 premiere where I’d sit up and pay attention when a perfectly fitting walk-in song came on. I’ve been resisting the urge to keep coming back to it, but it’s been stuck in my head regardless.

Our outro is Black Betty by Ram Jam (used by The Deer).

Introductions are over!

The Cartoon Hero, Tabby Cat, Cloud, and Nikki have made a good first impression. But we’re only just getting started.

Next round is Behind The Mask. Friday the 13th is a bit too soon for the next reveal, so how about Thursday the 19th at 2pm CDT (7pm UTC)?

Unfortunately, my busy schedule this month is preventing me from judging this round on time. More unfortunately, my busy schedule this month is keeping from delaying the reveal to any date before Tuesday the 24th.

I am so sorry this is late. October was super busy and hectic for me. Thankfully that's all behind me now, so now I can delay future reveals for entirely different, more exciting reasons.

Episode 2: Behind The Mask

Our header is The Phoenix by Fall Out Boy.

19th Place
Submitted by Hanuman
Score: 8.0

Forest Families by The Knife

Seems like bog standard electronica at first. Even when there’s an opportunity in the bridge to open up the synth and do something interesting with it, it doesn’t happen. It’s the vocals that carry this, but not far enough. I’d say it’s a Lebossle read, but I think Leb would be a little insulted if I did.
18th Place
Score: 8.2

Lost My Way by Sickick

Mm. Chipmunk sampling. Not entirely unpleasant here, but you’re always taking a risk with me when you send something pitched up. The risk didn’t pay off this time.
17th Place
Submitted by Nikki

prom dress by mxmtoon

Prom is overrated, says the dork who didn’t go. I can’t tell if this is mainstream pop or indie pop, cuz the instruments are trying to do both. If I don’t concentrate on this one, I end up zoning out on the lyrics.
16th Place

He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask) by Lordi

I tend to dig raw vocals- some genres just shine more with some rawness- but I swear I can hear him gargling his own spit. I wanna reach through the internet and hand him a hot cup of honey lemon tea.
15th Place
Submitted by Pasta

Mask Your Soul by Blu & Exile

Mmm, not bad. My attention’s a little split with the descant, and that flute sample makes it feel like a polyphony instead of just a descant. Wow, that was short.
14th Place
Submitted by Brickboy

Mask by Dream

This guy, huh? His voice has some of that raw quality that’d work well in punk rock or something indie. Or grunge if it hadn’t died out. Tbh I think I’d like this song a little more if the backing wasn’t so polished.
Tied for 12th Place

I'm Your Man by Leonard Cohen

The basso profundo is nice and velvety, if a tiny bit monotone in the verses.
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by

Behind the Mask by Yellow Magic Orchestra

Ah, yes, YMO. The grandfather of electronica sure knows how to compute a tune.
Tied for 10th Place

Beneath The Mask by Shoji Meguro, Rike Schmalz & Lyn

I’ve dipped into the og Shin Megami Tensei before, but I still have the Persona series on my gamer bucket list. Which, uh, maybe I’d do 5 first just for the music.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by Cloud

Gold for Bread by Blitzen Trapper

Reminds me a bit of The Travelling Wilburys for some reason. Might remind me of a lot of things that my brain is struggling to name.
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by Kermit

Animal Mask by The Mountain Goats

So I’m guessing you’re an MUer. Or you picked this because you’re trying for a froggy theme sub. The combo of slightly raspy tenor and steel guitar is doing something groovy to me.
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by Tabby Cat

Strange Fire by Indigo Girls

Those are some nice harmonies. I was a little tentative at first, but this grew on me quite quickly.
Tied for 5th Place
Submitted by Amethyst
Score: 9.0

A Mask of My Own Face by Lemon Demon

Was Punchy regretting missing out on Tiebreaker or is Lemon Demon just that cool? Hmmm… at least the latter is certain.
Tied for 5th Place

Behind The Mask by Anarchy Club

I’m strongly confident in my Golden Retriever read. The only thing that gives me some small doubt- some tiny, minuscule, Ken-Jeong-pulls-out-a-magnifying-glass-for-comedic-effect doubt- is that there’s a Twenty One Pilots song that qualifies for this category and Goldie didn’t go for it. How much of a fool am I to expect someone to toss their core at me and give no fucks? Granted, if anyone would, Laurel would. But then again, why would I willingly deprive myself of this song?
Tied for 5th Place

The Spy and the Liar by Puddles Pity Party

Sending me one of my more offbeat favorite artists, I’m thinking this must not be your first go-round with me. Aura, maybe? Ooh, this is rather nice.
4th Place
Score: 9.1

I'm Still Standing by Elton John

For a hot moment, I mistakenly thought I had the Rocketman version of this song in the Use List. Not that I would’ve applied Rule 3 to the original version. Or that that would have any effect on how much I enjoy this song.
3rd Place
Submitted by Cockroach
Score: 9.2

Undisclosed Desires by Muse

This is a pretty hefty pander, Cockroach. Do I need to do another Four On The Floor Walrus?
2nd Place
Submitted by Sugar
Score: 9.3

Be Brave by My Brightest Diamond

This is the only non-Sufjan song Sugar sent in, but some wiki diving shows Shara Nova’s worked with Sufjan before. Good effort in trying to keep up the theme. Great effort in aiming for the podium.
1st Place
Score: 9.4

MVSK by Kep1er

This is FUNKY. Ooh, that stereoscopic effect just grabbed me like whoa! I’m dancing in my chair.

Our outro is Plush by Stone Temple Pilots.

Dis guy’s done with the disguises!

The Cartoon Hero remains the toast of the masquerade, while Sugar and Tabby Cat are moving in mysterious ways up the leaderboard.

Next episode is Well-Covered Redux. Since there’s extra work in this round, I’ll need two weeks for this one. So let’s set the reveal for Thursday November 9th at 2pm CDT (7pm UTC).

Welcome to Covers Week on The Masked Walrus! Technically every week is Covers Week on The Masked Singer, but it's nice to get a chance to enjoy one of my favorite walrus categories.

But this isn't just any Covers Week, this episode is Well-Covered Redux, where the covers we'll be listening to are noticeably different from their original versions.

BUT FIRST!

IT'S TIME FOR A GAME CHANGING CLUE​

Every three episodes, we'll be attempting to unravel some of the mystery behind our anonymous contestants by revealing their answers to one of the Game Changing Questions found in the signups form, along with my thoughts on the matter and/or some identity reads.. Note that these questions were optional and some players this round didn't answer this week's clue. Heck, a few of them chose not to answer any clues at all. Way to keep up that air of je nais se quoi! Also note that these are the contestants' unedited, verbatim answers. Straight from the horse's mouth. Or the, uh, the bumblebee's... proboscis? I don't know, let's just skip the biology lesson and move on.

This week's Game Changing Question is: Which musician/band would you want to spend a weekend with?

6 people didn't answer this clue: Amethyst, Cockroach, The Cartoon Hero, Golden Retriever, Pichu the Former Star, and Sugar

Here are the other contestants' answers in order of signup chronology.

Mayday Parade
My thoughts: Wasn't there someone who subbed Mayday Parade in one of my past walruses? I can't remember, so I'd have to go looking.
Porter Robinson seems like a guy you could just kind of chill with and play some video games or watch some shows with
My thoughts: Well. I know one guy who might give that answer. Et tu, Blodde?

Wait, I just remembered that was basically Latin for "fuck you". I retract that. Not the Bloody read, just the pithy remark.
Any band my friends are already in since I like hanging out with my friends :)
My thoughts: So we're starting a band?

I have a read on this slot, but you'll see it in their song's writeup later.
Lynyrd Skynyrd (pre-hiatus) because my social skills aren't great.
My thoughts: Mood. I don't have a read here yet, but yeah, big mood.
My own band, obviously. "Princess Bumblebee and the Nectar Glands"
My thoughts: Hmmm. I think I heard about that. Weren't they interviewed by Buzzfeed?

Black Sabbath, because they were my introduction to the heavy metal genre
My thoughts: Lily sure seems to be into heavy metal. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and mention that one of the biggest metalheads I've had in my past walruses is Aladyyn. Or it could be someone trying to do a metal themed alt sub.
The Wiggles
My thoughts: Yep, yep. He fucking would, wouldn't he?

It would either be half•alive or Imagine Dragons. A lot of their songs feel relatable to me. I think I would comfortable enough around either of them.
My thoughts: Now this brings another blast from the past to mind. Iirc, Hitmonleet used to sub Imagine Dragons to me. Is he still hanging around Circus Maximus?
My best friend's band. I don't really have a desire to meet artists I like on a personal level.
My thoughts: I can respect that. I also can't get a read on you for the life of me.
The band I play with, because they're nice people
My thoughts: So who's up for subbing Cloud and the Storm Fronts to my next walrus?
boygenius because I like their sense of humor and general vibe as people
My thoughts: Oh, so you are an MUer.
can my girlfriend count as a one-man band. she plays the bass. and piano
My thoughts: Lovecats, indeed.
Snoop would be a fun time
My thoughts: Hell, yeah. Hell yeah. It doesn't even matter that Snoop quit smoking. He's down for anything, he's into everything, and it would be hella fun to hang with him.

And that's it for our first Game Changing Clue! We'll have our next one at the start of Episode 6, The Star Power Suite: Play Ball! Until then, you'll just have to get your reads from the music itself.

And speaking of music, we'll be back with the reveal in our next post.

Episode 3: Well-Covered Redux

Our header is Immigrant Song by Karen O ft. Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, a cover of Immigrant Songby Led Zeppelin.

19th Place
Score: 7.5

Girls Just Wanna Bop Time After Time by Necrocomiccon (Volume Warning, don't listen on headphones)

A cover of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, She Bop, and Time After Time, all by Cyndi Lauper

Unconventional, yes, but I’m counting it. Those guitars want to murder my ears. How the hell do I score this. It’s not exactly a bad song, but it is a song where I’m scared to hit the repeat button and risk my hearing further. Let’s just imagine where it would be if it wasn’t trying to make me go deaf and then take a point off for trying to make me go deaf.
18th Place
Submitted by Cloud
Score: 7.8

More Than This by Angel Olsen

A cover of More Than This by Roxy Music

Ngl, when I first read the title, I mistook it for a cover of More Than Words by Extreme. Blame it on my roots, I guess, cuz my mind went straight to the 90s. Tbh, both these songs make me wish I’d gotten to listen to More Than Words instead.
17th Place
Submitted by Brickboy
Score: 7.9

By The Time I Get To Phoenix by Isaac Hayes

A cover of By The Time I Get To Phoenix by Johnny Rivers

Is this a termi tell? I looked at the timestamp and it feels like a termi tell. Well, you definitely can’t say it sounds like the original. This intro is not grabbing me at all. When does the song happen? Okay, those instruments kinda make up for the boredom. Mostly.
16th Place

Fallen Kingdom by CaptainSparklez

A parody cover of Viva La Vida by Coldplay

Yeah, I’m counting parodies for this round. I’m usually not a hardass about qualifiers and if this doesn’t get me to start being a hardass about qualifiers then nothing will. And changing the lyrics IS a noticeable difference. Tbh, I’ve been thinking about getting a copy of Minecraft for the Switch. I used to think voxel style graphics didn’t appeal to me, but watching one of my favorite Twitch streamers play it has changed my mind. And it helps that I’m rather fond of survival crafting mechanics. (Post-edit: bought it, enjoying it, built myself a brutalist house out of diorite.)
15th Place
Submitted by Hanuman

The Model by Big Black

A cover of Das Model by Kraftwerk

So I may or may not have screwed things up a little. The OG link Hanuman sent was deleted, and I can’t remember if they sent in the German or English version of the original song. I can only assume German, since 1) the logical inference is that Kraftwerk would have recorded it in German first and 2) the difference is more noticeable. If I’m wrong, oops, I accidentally increased your qualifier strength in a round where I haven’t been considering qualifier strength in the score. No harm, no foul, right?
14th Place
Submitted by White Rabbit

Bad Moon Risin’ by 16 Horsepower

A cover of Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival

No rage and ruin here. But I think it must be said that it’s not hard to make a Bad Moon Rising cover sound better than CCR. Now, if you can manage to top Have You Ever Seen The Rain?, then I’ll be impressed.
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by Pasta

Fade Into You by Frank Watkinson

A cover of Fade Into You by Mazzy Star

I actually zoned out a little on the original. The cover does a better job of capturing my attention. I wonder if the vc will smooth out the tape hiss.
Tied for 12th Place
Submitted by Tabby Cat

Oops!... I Did It Again by Freedom Fry

A cover of Oops!... I Did It Again by Britney Spears

The last time I heard a cover of this song, it was Children of Bodom. Wait, the weird conversation in the middle of the Children of Bodom version wasn’t a non sequitur? News to me. Enough about Children of Bodom, let’s focus on this. This is one of those covers that take a perky song and give it a more somber vibe. Which is a take I can always respect when it’s done well. Tbh, it also helps that he didn’t fish The Heart of the Ocean out of the Atlantic for her.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by Amethyst

Charlotte by Chonny Jash

A cover of Charlotte by The Kite Machine (TW: flashing lights in video)

I was very tempted to listen to Chonny Jash’s cover of Charlie’s Inferno before this. Maybe you should’ve tried to convince me that The Kite Machine was the cover. The OG is a straight up bop. I’m fascinated by the fact that this is 70% drum cover. I do like this bridge solo better than the OG’s bridge solo. Now I’m REALLY tempted to go listen to Chonny’s Inferno.
Tied for 10th Place
Submitted by Cockroach

Tragedy by Celldweller

A cover of Tragedy by The BeeGees

The BeeGees don’t get enough appreciation beyond their top two. This OG slaps so hard your momma just woke up with a mystery bruise. And yet here you are, trying to outdo a hidden gem of disco.

Tied for 8th Place

Dancing On My Own by Callum Scott

A cover of Dancing On My Own by Robyn

Iirc, The Kangaroo covered this song on The Masked Singer. That’s some, uh, BIG SHOES to fill. (Hey, come on, I’m the host of a Masked Singer themed walrus. I gotta get in as many cheesy puns as I can to keep up with Nick Cannon.) I like how leaving the pronoun untouched makes this gay as hell in one way or another.

The timestamp says 4:49 and it cuts off mid note at 4:15. What is this highway robbery?
Tied for 8th Place
Submitted by Nikki

Go The Distance by Nanobii ft. Lindsey Marie

A cover of Go The Distance by Michael Bolton

Hey, go easy, this is my childhood you’re poking at. Then again, this is pretty snazzy.
Tied for 6th Place

Holy Diver by Burning Witches

A cover of Holy Diver by Dio[

Okay, this rocks. That guitar solo was like buttah.
Tied for 6th Place
Submitted by Sugar

Free Man in Paris by Sufjan Stevens

A cover of Free Man in Paris by Joni Mitchell

I just flat out love the original. Joni Mitchell fucking earned her tribute album. That being said, Sufjan and his dynamic horns are doing a pretty decent job of holding a candle to it.
Tied for 4th Place

Feel Good Inc. by NateWantsToBattle ft. Shofu

A cover of Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz

Hold on, I have a meme for this

Seriously though, I’m really digging this. Honestly, mysterious stranger who I totally don’t know, you should have gotten into walrus sooner. I’d have loved to see what you’d bring to the table in Tiebreaker or 4OTF.
Tied for 4th Place

Are "Friends" Electric? by An Pierlé

A cover of Are "Friends" Electric? by Tubeway Army

Ah, okay, melancholy minimalist piano and vocals. That’s practically its own genre tbh. This song is like what goes through Regina Spektor’s head when she feels sad. This seems like a song I can sincerely respect.
3rd Place
Score: 9.1

Waters of March by Marisa Monte & David Byrne

A cover of Águas de Março by Antônio Carlos Jobim & Elis Regina

Bloody made a MNIN read on The Cyclopes during the last live reveal. This is why I agree with him. Kinda wish the song continued through the credits. That was rather captivating.
2nd Place
Score: 9.3

Hitchin’ A Ride by Waterparks

A cover of Hitchin’ A Ride by Green Day

During the qualifier check, I learned about the existence of the album Green Day Bluegrass Volume 2: The Bluegrass Tribute. Perhaps we are both kicking ourselves over the fomo now. Or maybe missing out on this song is the real fomo. “Wow, not as good as the original.” Are you kidding me?
1st Place
Submitted by Kermit
Score: 9.5

Rainbow Connection by Weezer & Hayley Williams

A cover of Rainbow Connection by Kermit the Frog

Yeah, this is why I didn’t mention Rainbow Connection in the Episode 1 writeup. What an excellent cover. This is making me feel all mushy inside.

Our outro is Red Right Hand by Arctic Monkeys, a cover of Red Right Hand by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)