ORAS OU The Mega Mence (Rayquaza?) Wannabe

Hello and this is my first RMT (first post ever) here on Smogon. I have been lurking for a long time however, been around checking Smogon since the days of HGSS. But I've only recently started to play online Pokemon, and that's when I decided I might actually get an account and join the forum. My experience is mostly with Ubers, reaching a peak rank of 86 on the Ubers ladder since ORAS came out. My experience with OU is relatively scarce, and I really need some one to break down my team and pose suggestions.

So here's my team and my thought process behind it:

This is the starting point of my team, Mega Pinsir.

Talonflame and Mega Pinsir share very similar checks and counters, with both having the potential of ripping through teams once those checks and counters are weakened/removed. So having both on the same team pressures the opponent a lot.

With both Pokemon 4x weak to Rock, a Spinner that can handle Rock type attacks very well are badly needed. This is where Excadrill comes in.

One of Excadrill's best partners in crime is Rotom-W, having amazing synergies. It also checks Talonflame, one of the biggest threats that stops Mega Pinsir right in its tracks.

Speaking of synergies, how about Landorus-T and Rotom-W? Both cover each other's weaknesses really well, while also forming the infamous Switch-Turn combo.

Looking at this team now, there is a pretty severe weakness to Water, with 3 weaknesses and only one resist, putting a lot of pressure on Rotom-W which lacks reliable recovery. Ferrothorn is added here to address that issue.

Team Details

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Mega Rayquaza, Mega Salamence, and then… Mega Pinsir? Let’s see: a boosting move, a pretty drawback free Flying STAB, a priority move, and a coverage move (Earthquake). This set is as simple as it can get: maximize Speed to make up for its somewhat lackluster base 105 Speed; Aerilate Frustration off of base 155 Atk and access to Swords Dance makes Mega Pinsir hit even harder than Mega Mence, making it double as a wallbreaker; Quick Attack is a nifty priority that gets STAB and Aerilate, OHKOing things like Keldeo at +2; finally Earthquake to nail the Rock, Electric and Steel types resistant to Flying. It does have a pretty horrible defensive typing and mediocre bulk (particularly on the special side), with no Intimidate or Delta Stream to help it set up. But once it does it is a force to be reckoned with.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

The go to revenge killer, Talonflame’s priority Brave Bird backed by Choice Band is just too good. Flare Blitz is a secondary STAB to handle the Steel types and certain Electric types that resist Brave Bird. U-turn deals decent damage off of CB, and gives the team the initiative in switching. The spread is fairly straightforward, maximizing Attack to make Brave Bird as powerful as possible (it doesn’t need Jolly because Brave Bird already gets priority and at a stellar base 126 speed it is already very fast). Sleep Talk is here to check the likes of Breloom and Amoonguss, with all 3 moves hitting them for solid damage, reducing the impact of Sleep Talk’s randomnss.

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

So I heard two Pokemon on my team are 4x weak to Rock. So I picked a Pokemon that’s 4x resistant to Rock. So I heard SR wrecks my two damage dealers, so I picked one of the best Rapid Spinners in the game. I know the fashion right now is Scarf or Life Orb + Sand Rush, but I don’t really need another something that aims to sweep. Instead, I need something that can reliably Spin away Rocks and Assault Vest seems to be the best fit. Rapid Spin is the defining move of the set; Earthquake is the most powerful STAB, and handles Rotom-W through Mold Breaker; Rock Slide forms the pseudo Quake-Edge coverage; Iron Head is a secondary STAB that nails Fairy types, utilizing its Steel typing and Assault Vest well to check the many specially attacking Fairy types like Gardevoir.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-W and Excadrill have very good synergies, able to handle the Ground, Water and Fire attacks thrown at Excadrill. Volt Switch is the move that defines Rotom-W's role as a pivot, utilizing its good balance of bulk and offense. Hydro Pump is the hardest hitting STAB, used when Rotom-W needs to pull the trigger. A specially defensive spread complements Will-O-Wisp to allow Rotom-W to be fairly bulky on both sides. Finally Pain Split is an unreliable but necessary form of recovery. 44 Spe EVs to outspeed Jolly Belly Drum Azumarill to burn it.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Speaking of balanced offense and defense, how about Landorus-T? Intimidate makes Landorus-T fairly bulky on the physical side, while a base 145 Atk is stellar when going on the offense. 232 Spe EVs and Jolly allows Landorus-T to outspeed Adamant Mega Charizard X. Earthquake and Stone Edge form the famous Quake-Edge coverage. A fast U-turn gives Landorus-T pivoting, forming an excellent core with Rotom-W and Talonflame. Finally, Knock Off is a fairly low risk option when predicting gets a little hard, with added utility to cripple things like Toxic Orb Gliscor or Eviolite Chansey.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn aims to plug certain holes in this team, adding most importantly a Water resist and forming a FWG core with Rotom and Talonflame. Stealth Rock is a self explanatory move. Leech Seed is a very important move on Ferrothorn, providing recovery and forcing the opponent to switch. Power Whip is the main STAB, allowing Ferrothorn to check bulky Water types that this team has trouble with. Gyro Ball is chosen over something like Thunder Wave because with two priority users and a Scarfer, Thunder Wave isn't THAT important to this team. I totally copied this EV spread, but it does give a fairly physically and specially balanced bulk, able to check things like Azumarill, DD Mega Altaria, Mega Gardevoir and Mega Gyarados.

It seems this team has no real awnser to specially defensively TTar. I think Close Combat should replace Earthquake so you can take him down more reliably.

First of all Mega Pinsir is the definition of destruction, set up an SD and start to wreck things. Definitely use it!

In my opinion Assault Vest Excadrill is just not very good, sure it can take resisted hits better but SE hits still OHKOs it, and the moves which Excadrill is weak to are very common. Keldeo, Greninja, Charizard Y, Landorus still OHKOs and it barely survives a Life Orb Thundurus’ Focus Blast. Choice Scarf Excadrill offers more utility as it checks the Latis and hit them with Earthquake, it also outspeeds Talonflame so it can be a decent check to it.

Excadrill (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head

I also suggest that Rotom-W to be physically defensive. You can’t really wall anything with Sp. Def Rotom, yeah you still take a chunk from Latios’ Draco Meteor while Greninja can’t 2HKO even physically def Rotom most of the time so physically defensive Rotom is generally better.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

For Landorus-T, I think it would be better if you also run a physically defensive variant for it's better switch-in to most physical attackers because of its bulk and Leftovers. If you like scarf Landorus-T more, well it's just personal preference but if you happen to change your Excadrill's set to Scarfed might as well change your Landorus-T's set to this too.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn / Stone Edge

Mega Slowbro is a real annoyance, I hate that thing. At first glance I immediately noticed that nothing on your team can really take it on. I suggest to replace Ferrothorn with Greninja. It destroys Mega Slowbro and his dumbass face. Grass Knot takes care of other bulky water types that can be annoying to Pinsir and Talonflame.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot

These are just my opinion hope it helps!

EDIT: removed Talonflame's spread, didn't noticed that you're Choice banded.

Last edited:
If you want to run Scarf Landorus, you may like to go with a 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe EV spread with Jolly nature, which lets you outspeed Mega Beedril and Mega Sceptile.

It seems this team has no real awnser to specially defensively TTar. I think Close Combat should replace Earthquake so you can take him down more reliably.
Change made and liking it.

If you want to run Scarf Landorus, you may like to go with a 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe EV spread with Jolly nature, which lets you outspeed Mega Beedril and Mega Sceptile.
That's a great suggestion. Already made that change.

First of all Mega Pinsir is the definition of destruction, set up an SD and start to wreck things. Definitely use it!

In my opinion Assault Vest Excadrill is just not very good, sure it can take resisted hits better but SE hits still OHKOs it, and the moves which Excadrill is weak to are very common. Keldeo, Greninja, Charizard Y, Landorus still OHKOs and it barely survives a Life Orb Thundurus’ Focus Blast. Choice Scarf Excadrill offers more utility as it checks the Latis and hit them with Earthquake, it also outspeeds Talonflame so it can be a decent check to it.

Excadrill (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head

I also suggest that Rotom-W to be physically defensive. You can’t really wall anything with Sp. Def Rotom, yeah you still take a chunk from Latios’ Draco Meteor while Greninja can’t 2HKO even physically def Rotom most of the time so physically defensive Rotom is generally better.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

For Landorus-T, I think it would be better if you also run a physically defensive variant for it's better switch-in to most physical attackers because of its bulk and Leftovers. If you like scarf Landorus-T more, well it's just personal preference but if you happen to change your Excadrill's set to Scarfed might as well change your Landorus-T's set to this too.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn / Stone Edge

Mega Slowbro is a real annoyance, I hate that thing. At first glance I immediately noticed that nothing on your team can really take it on. I suggest to replace Ferrothorn with Greninja. It destroys Mega Slowbro and his dumbass face. Grass Knot takes care of other bulky water types that can be annoying to Pinsir and Talonflame.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot

These are just my opinion hope it helps!

EDIT: removed Talonflame's spread, didn't noticed that you're Choice banded.
The reasons I don't want Scarf Excadrill:

1. Being locked into any of its moves has severe drop backs. Earthquake has quite a few immunities that the opponent can take advantage of; Rapid Spin is extremely risky considering how Magnezone is pretty popular. Not getting its moved locked allows Excadrill to still spin away hazards without being a sitting duck to things like Magnezone or Rotom-W.

2. Losing Excadrill early on could be very problematic, because SR wrecks both of my main win conditions. If Excadrill is lost before the opponent's hazard setter dies, then the game is pretty much forfeit.

I do like the reasoning for your Rotom spread though, and I'm gonna make that change and try it out.

Greninja is an interesting option (if running Greninja, I'd just switch to physically defensive Lando-T to fit in Rocks). It certainly solves Mega Slowbro very well. But is there any way for it to dent Clefable and Ferrothorn?

Just as a nitpick, the EVs on his Rotom-W spread should be moved to Defense. Moreover, if you want Greninja to dent Clefable and Ferrothorn, give it Gunk Shot to pwn the former and/or HP Fire to wreck the latter. You can give up Grass Knot as it is not necessary there.

DittoDrawer said:
But is there any way for it to dent Clefable and Ferrothorn?
Run Gunk Shot. Grass Knot deals with bulky waters like Swampert and Quagsire which is hard to do with Pinsir and Talonflame while Dark Pulse helps to do damage to Mew. You can keep which one you think is the more useful. You don't need to have HP Fire on Greninja since Talonflame and Mega Pinsir handles Ferrothorn very well.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot / Dark Pulse

beats*
i was just exaggerating there. but it does when it got to +2.
Still doesn't. With Ferro in rocks are up or will be up. Plus, Pinsir needs 1 turn to setup a SD, and he could receive damage. With no means of recovering, taking RockyHelmet + IronBarb damage will wear him down quickly.

HydraDE said:
Still doesn't. With Ferro in rocks are up or will be up. Plus, Pinsir needs 1 turn to setup a SD, and he could receive damage. With no means of recovering, taking RockyHelmet + IronBarb damage will wear him down quickly.
you can get the SD boost from the many switches that Mega Pinsir forces, like when you forced the opponent to go to Ferrothorn, and finish it up with a +2 Close Combat next turn. i will not go directly on my Mega Pinsir when the opposing Ferrothorn is on the field just to be Leech Seeded or damaged. rocks should be almost always need to be off the field when using a team with 2 pokemon that are 4x weak to it.

you can get the SD boost from the many switches that Mega Pinsir forces, like when you forced the opponent to go to Ferrothorn, and finish it up with a +2 Close Combat next turn. i will not go directly on my Mega Pinsir when the opposing Ferrothorn is on the field just to be Leech Seeded or damaged. rocks should be almost always need to be off the field when using a team with 2 pokemon that are 4x weak to it.
You cannot rely on a +2 Pinsir alone to take down Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn will easily come in and out setting rocks, but no one expect greninja to carry HP fire. Say, they could predict a close combat and get in Lando-T for free. With HP fire, instead, you kill it easily making room for Pinsir to sweep. Grass Knot is less useful having Rotom-W, Ferrothorn and Landorus to deal with Waters/Grounds.

Moreover, he specifically asked a way to dent Clefable and Ferrothorn, so I guess Gunk Shot and/or HP Fire are the moves he need, and he can use them instead of the less useful Grass Knot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)