SV UU The Milkmen - A Spikes Stack Double Unaware Team (Peak 1630)

oh boy, another bice rmt set to a pilotredsky song
:skeledirge: :quagsire: :meowscarada: :tinkaton: :cyclizar: :zapdos-galar:
click me for an importable!

Introduction
The reckoning has occured, and all sorts of powerful new toys, expected and unexpected, have come with it. Skeledirge was the drop that surprised me the most; it seemed like a decent check to the then-suspected Zamazenta, so I expected its usage to spike. Alas, New Toy Syndrome won again, and I decided to try the funny sugar skull gator out, something that I hadn't got an opportunity to when I played early SV OU. I managed to climb to 1630 with this team, not the most impressive achievement but given that ladder is in chaos I'm happy with it.
1688832076449.png

reqs1.PNG

Teambuilding Process
:skeledirge: :quagsire: - I wanted to build around these two because they have incredible synergy, with Skeledirge handling Special threats and Quagsire handling the physical. Quag's ability to spread Toxic was also greatly appreciated by Dirge, especially in the form of Toxic Spikes (which is what I initially used on Quag for my entry hazard).
:skeledirge: :quagsire: :meowscarada: - The team needed an offensive presence as well as some speed, so Meowscarada was a natural choice, especially since it formed a FWG core with Dirge and Quag. Its ability to remove Boots with ease via Knock Off was also an excellent complement to these two. This also put all three Paldean starters on my team (Quaquaval was nuked from orbit).
:skeledirge: :quagsire: :meowscarada: :tinkaton: - At this point, I needed a Stealth Rocker to stack hazards as well as a Fairy-type to check the rampaging Regidrago, Hydreigon, and Galarian Moltres. Tinkaton had all the attributes I needed and then some, threatening setup sweepers with Encore and also removing items with Knock Off.
:skeledirge: :quagsire: :meowscarada: :tinkaton: :cyclizar: - UU's starved for good hazard removal, and with (Toxic) Spikes stacking being the goal of the team, Defog was very anti-synergistic. This gave me only two real options: Donphan or Cyclizar. Due to Donphan having too much overlap with Quagsire in terms of being a physically bulky Ground-type (as well as having a piss-poor Speed stat), Cyclizar was the natural choice. And because we really, really, REALLY hate it when other Pokemon hold items, a third Knock Off user was always welcome.
:skeledirge: :quagsire: :meowscarada: :tinkaton: :cyclizar: :zapdos-galar: - At this point, I needed a true ground immunity as well as a backup check to Meowscarada, as Tinkaton is very prone to getting worn down. Some extra speed was also needed to outrun other Meowscaradas and the like, so scarfed Galarian Zapdos was added as the final member.
:skeledirge: :gastrodon-east: :meowscarada: :tinkaton: :cyclizar: :zapdos-galar: - After a brutal loss to a bulkier team, I shifted towards Spikes over Toxic Spikes due to the fact that they couldn't be absorbed by the likes of Alolan Muk or Galarian Slowbro. I also experimented with Gastrodon over Quagsire after a humiliating, haxy loss to a Galarian Moltres, but my team was ripped to shreds by Swords Dance Iron Hands (who was legal at the time), so I went back to Quagsire.

The Team
SKELE-DDAG

HOME0911_s.png
Bag_Heavy-Duty_Boots_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Unaware
Tera Type:
FairyIC_Tera.png

EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Torch Song
FireIC_SV.png

- Will-O-Wisp
FireIC_SV.png

- Hex
GhostIC_SV.png

- Slack Off
NormalIC_SV.png

Skeledirge, arguably the least expected drop from OU to UU, is the star of the show. Its great bulk combined with Unaware and a crunk signature move lets it muscle through Calm Mind users such as Cresselia with ease. The moves are fairly standard, with 12 Speed EVs being used to outspeed other Skeledirges that run 8 speed. Dirge should generally be brought in against set-up sweepers such as the genies (as long as you aren't predicting an Earth Power from Enamorus) as well as Pokemon that simply can't touch it such as Cresselia. You'll often be Terastallizing Skeledirge due to it becoming Clefable on roids once it becomes a Fairy. However, you'll generally only want to Tera Skeledirge if it's healthy or safe to heal.
COUSIN QUAG
HOME0195.png
Bag_Heavy-Duty_Boots_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Unaware
Tera Type:
PoisonIC_Tera.png

EVs:
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
PoisonIC_SV.png

- Earthquake
GroundIC_SV.png

- Recover
NormalIC_SV.png

- Spikes
GroundIC_SV.png

The other cornerstone of this team, Quagsire may have been booted out of OU by its rotund Paldean cousin, but that doesn't mean he can't kick ass in UU. Quagsire often forces out Pokemon such as Tinkaton, giving many opportunities to set up Spikes. Once again this is a fairly standard set; 8 Speed EVs are used to creep other Quagsire, though they could easily be put back into bulk. While Quag can force many threats out, if there's a big threat to this team such as Hisuian Arcanine that Quag checks, then you'll want to try and stay as healthy as possible. Tera Poison helps against Meowscarada and Quaquaval, with the added bonus of making Toxic always accurate.
DO NOT THE CAT
HOME0908.png
Bag_Choice_Band_SV_Sprite.png

Ability
: Protean
Tera Type:
DarkIC_Tera.png

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
GrassIC_SV.png

- Knock Off
DarkIC_SV.png

- U-Turn
BugIC_SV.png

- Sucker Punch
DarkIC_SV.png

Meowscarada may not help fight against the stereotype that cats are mean, but it does certainly dispel the rumor that they're lazy, for the Magician Pokemon is excellent at forcing progress. It gets so many opportunities to click Knock Off (backed by STAB and a decent attack bolstered by Choice Band) by virtue of forcing so many switches. Meowscarada's fourth slot is basically free, so I went with Sucker Punch to help against speed-boosting threats such as Battle Bond Greninja and Hisuian Braviary. You'll rarely want to Terastallize Meowscarada due to losing the ability to use Protean, but Dark helps bolster Meowscarada's Knock Offs and Sucker Punches to absurd levels. Ghost or Fairy can also be used to give Meowscarada a resistance to Breloom's Mach Punches.
NOISETTE
HOME0959.png
Bag_Leftovers_SV_Sprite.png

Ability
: Mold Breaker
Tera Type:
DarkIC_Tera.png

EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 172 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
RockIC_SV.png

- Gigaton Hammer
SteelIC_SV.png

- Knock Off
DarkIC_SV.png

- Encore
NormalIC_SV.png

The Princess of UU may have been knocked down a peg thanks to power creep, but that doesn't mean it's no longer a good support Pokemon. If anything, Tinkaton's fantastic typing is almost required in this meta due to threats such as Meowscarada, Kleavor, and Galarian Moltres. Once again this is a fairly standard set, 8 Speed EVs outrun other Tinkaton, you get the deal. Encore is chosen over Thunder Wave due to its ability to shut down many setup sweepers as well as Skeledirges trying to get a free heal or Will-O-Wisp off. If the opponent has a threat Tinkaton is vital to checking, then be sure to preserve it (and its Leftovers) as much as possible; at the same time, you need to know when you just can't preserve Tinkaton and need to sacrifice it.
2003 TOYOTA CAMRY
HOME0967.png
Bag_Assault_Vest_SV_Sprite.png

Ability
: Regenerator
Tera Type:
FairyIC_Tera.png

EVs: 184 HP / 144 SpD / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
DragonIC_SV.png

- Knock Off
DarkIC_SV.png

- U-Turn
BugIC_SV.png

- Rapid Spin
NormalIC_SV.png

Returning from my previous RMT is Cyclizar, running a near-identical set due to the lack of good spinners right now. That doesn't mean Cyclizar is bad; Assault Vest Cyclizar is still a solid check against the Genies (minus Enamorus) as well as Skeledirge and Hydreigons that lack Draco Meteor. Speaking of which, Draco is the attacking move of choice due to its neutral coverage, but Dragon Tail can also be run to threaten non-Terastallized Skeledirge after a Knock Off with hazards up. Tera Fairy is run over Tera Steel due to the prominence of threats such as Hydreigon and Regidrago right now. The spread has also changed since last time, emphasizing special bulk over HP. Timid is also run over Hasty so as to not cut into Cyclizar's already-poor physical bulk. Cyclizar is best at spinning against special attackers that aren't Fairy-type; once again if you anticipate a Ghost-type switch in, use Knock Off to at least force progress.
FRAZZLE DAZZLE
HOME0145G_s.png
Bag_Choice_Scarf_SV_Sprite.png

Ability
: Defiant
Tera Type:
FlyingIC_Tera.png

EVs:
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
FlyingIC_SV.png

- Close Combat
FightingIC_SV.png

- Thunderous Kick
FightingIC_SV.png

- U-Turn
BugIC_SV.png

This bird is fucked up bruh. With a near-unresisted STAB combination, Galarian Zapdos is an excellent Choice Scarf user in a tier where those are few and far between. Thunderous Kick is used over coverage due to being a safer alternative to Close Combat with the added bonus of dropping the defense of Pokemon such as Hippowdon and the uncommon Diancie. Tera Flying is used over Tera Fighting due to Flying having less good resists in the tier than Fighting, but if you don't like taking extra recoil then Fighting can be used instead. I like to lead with Gapdos due to it being the fastest member of my team and its ability to pivot out safely, but sometimes it's best to preserve its HP as much as possible, especially if the opponent has a threat such as Breloom on the team.
Other Options
Since this meta is in flux and prominent mons will probably be banned very soon, here are some other potential options for this team:
:quagsire: --> :gastrodon-east:
If (when) Iron Hands goes, Gastrodon can definitely be slotted over Quagsire, as it has better overall bulk. Sludge Bomb is recommended over Ice Beam due to its meaty 30% poison chance (which Hex Skeledirge appreciates) as well as the threat of other Tera Fairy Skeledirges. It's probably the better option anyway; the main reason why I'm not running it is because of the threat SD Iron Hands poses. See the bottom of the RMT.
:skeledirge: -->
Bag_unknown_Sprite.png

Dirge's fate is definitely up in the air and the community seems divided over whether it's the most broken thing ever or an essential glue in UU. Dirge is probably the #1 hardest member to replace due to its unique set of attributes being essential to the team. The closest member I can think of is maybe Glowbro or Bulk Up Ceruledge?
:zapdos-galar: :choice-scarf: --> :choice-band:
Once some of the faster threats leave, one can opt to swap out Zapdos's Scarf for a Band in order to threaten more teams, especially with Brave Bird having so few resists.
:meowscarada: :choice-band: --> :heavy-duty-boots: / :choice-scarf:
If one opts to make Gapdos banded then Meowscarada should have its item swapped. Heavy-Duty Boots makes it easier to pivot while Choice Scarf gets the jump on other Scarfers & Meowscaradas. You can even run Trick if you're feeling cheeky.
Threatlist
:haxorus:
Public enemy number one, Haxorus can ignore my Unaware core's abilities with Mold Breaker and then effortlessly sweep the team. Though mercifully uncommon, it's definitely an underrated threat, Your best bet is to Tera Fairy something, try to get two Will-O-Wisps off, then pray to God.
:scizor:

With Tera Fire, Trailblaze, and Thief, Scizor becomes an incredible threat to this team; after a Swords Dance, your best bet is to Tera Quagsire and hope for the best.
:hydreigon:
What team doesn't this guy threaten? Its wide movepool and high attacking power makes it difficult to scout out. However, many Hydreigon don't run all the coverage it wants, meaning Cyclizar or Tinkaton can check it decently.
:breloom:
This team struggles with Spore + Mach Punch, but if you sacrifice something to sleep and send in Skeledirge or Gapdos, you'll probably be fine.
:meowscarada:
While I have Tinkaton and Gapdos, the former is easily chipped and the latter gets eviscerated by Play Rough. Be careful of the uncommon Scarf sets with Gapdos.
:regidrago:
Just plain annoying to switch into with its absurd Draco Meteors and decently strong Earth Powers (seriously who okayed giving it that). That said Tinkaton is usually only 3HKO'd by Earth Power, and it can be played around with Tera.
:arcanine-hisui:

Also really annoying, especially with Tera Normal Double Edge. Forcing a tera on a fragile mon is a good thing however, just be careful not to get picked off by Extreme Speed.
Conclusion
Post-HOME SV UU is the meta of all time, and it's about to be altered quite a bit with the upcoming quickbans. If Skeledirge gets banned then this team may be invalidated, but otherwise it'll probably improve after the bans. I hope you guys enjoyed this team, and here's a few shoutouts to a few cool dudes:
The pia server for helping me get into UU and helping me deal with severe tilt
Peses222, ThatOneApple, ImDoneThrowing, sleestacks and starbitstorm for also helping with tilt and improving my plays, as well as with building the team
Roxyroxyroxy for testing teams and being fun to play against
Liz Angeles, Typh, Corporate Donkey and Rasche for helping me realize my mistakes when playing, such as me being a bit rash
Other misc. shoutouts: Mossy Sandwich udongirl Mandibuladel5555 Queen of Bean Mimilucha Totomon Hulavuta Darkinium Thick Fat Azumarill Theorymon ramydos Lily Mova Weakness Policy Contrary Quanyails

Replays
:zapdos-galar:vs. Totomon:mew:
:quagsire:vs. Mimilucha:ceruledge:

:iron-hands:Post-Ban Update:gastrodon-east:
With Iron Hands gone, Gastrodon is now a viable option over Quagsire with its better bulk and offensive presence. However it worsens your matchup against Tinkaton and Quaquaval slightly. Here's the alternate version with Gastrodon over Quagsire.​

Last edited:

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
https://pokepast.es/4adf708bb4aa25f7

Here’s a quick rate for your team. The combination of those two unaware Pokémon is awesome, but it is really awkward for a more offensive team like this.

what I’ve opted to do is nuke gapdos from the team and add wish pass to pair with a defensively invested tinkaton which helps vs meow. I’ve also changed your meow to boots because choice banded doesn’t fit this structure. Gapdos imo isn’t that good of a Pokémon unless you specifically build around it pairing it with knock spam or hazards or future sight.

wish pass gives this team the longevity to knock enough of the opposing team to then set hazards and pivot around and eventually win. Either you take this bulky path towards balance or you go a more offensive route while keeping gapdos. Feel free to tag me with any questions.

https://pokepast.es/4adf708bb4aa25f7

Here’s a quick rate for your team. The combination of those two unaware Pokémon is awesome, but it is really awkward for a more offensive team like this.

what I’ve opted to do is nuke gapdos from the team and add wish pass to pair with a defensively invested tinkaton which helps vs meow. I’ve also changed your meow to boots because choice banded doesn’t fit this structure. Gapdos imo isn’t that good of a Pokémon unless you specifically build around it pairing it with knock spam or hazards or future sight.

wish pass gives this team the longevity to knock enough of the opposing team to then set hazards and pivot around and eventually win. Either you take this bulky path towards balance or you go a more offensive route while keeping gapdos. Feel free to tag me with any questions.
Thanks! I'd rather go a slightly more offensive route with Gapdos cause it's a really strong mon rn (what no good physical flying resists does to a tier). I've thought about going Gastrodon over Quagsire (as mentioned before) but this makes me vulnerable to Pokemon like Quaquaval. i have everything against that duck

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Thanks! I'd rather go a slightly more offensive route with Gapdos cause it's a really strong mon rn (what no good physical flying resists does to a tier). I've thought about going Gastrodon over Quagsire (as mentioned before) but this makes me vulnerable to Pokemon like Quaquaval. i have everything against that duck
Okay so, my suggestion for the gapdos route is this: https://pokepast.es/98098935603470ca

On this team you now have future sight + banded gapdos which better lets you utilize its strength. You keep your rapid spin and additional knock off user and add toxic spikes onto meow to add additional pressure against bulky teams. You lose speed but you still have 3 pivots and maintain just as much immediate breaking power. This is just a quick build off some thoughts I had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)