The Motions

A short Intro -

How I even got to such a great team is beyond with so many other failures. I guess it took this team to find my play style. A mix of defense with offense and a lot of annoying? Really this team is rain and while a cliche thing at this point, I'm happy and successful with it to an extent I've never been with any team before. This team has truly been through a lot of changed from Celebi, Scizor, Hydreigon, Keldeo, Abomasnow and many more. This may be my last version of this team because I'm so very satisfied with all the members of it in general.

Now let's begin this RMT - "The Motions" in -

The Great Wall (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

The wall of massiveness or the great wall work for him. While his EV's are more than likely odd to no end his usefullness has earned him a great spot on this team. Support he does, and he does well.

1) Power Whip provides some coverage and finishes off some mon
2) Leech Seed provides support for the team
3) Spikes means hazard support and makes the job of my sweepers easier
4) Thunder Wave shuts down sweepers and support while granting hazard set up

It isn't just his bulk or the fact that he's essentially impacted the metagame in a big way. It's his amazing ability to act as a mixed wall with support that fits this team more perfectly than Politoed does.

Ferrothorn - I wall Heatran in the rain for fun!

Never does he lead, he comes in when key members that could destroy him are not out. He may be bulky but he is not perfect. Sending out 1-3 layers of spikes is his second priority. His first priority lies in Thunder Waving any offense that may switch in. Because my team isn't the fastest, thunder wave gives leeway for Jirachi and everyone else to set up or sweep. Spikes provides the entry hazard damage that makes the entire game so much easier than normal. Leech Seed provides the recovery necesary for my team's survival and when the fool that thought whirlwinding me multiple times was a good idea - finds out he is wrong. Power Whip rounds off the set with some nice coverage taking out Tyranitar and opposing Politoed. Did I mention he makes an excellent pokemon for purposely getting put to sleep.

The Sneak (Donphan) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 108 Atk / 200 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

The sneaky sneak that takes electric damage like he was immune to it. My spinner and my hazards and so much more. His EV's make use of his defense, bulk, and decent attack stack making EQ and Ice Shard hit that much harder while tanking hits decently.

1) Ice Shard for dragons mostly
2) Earthquake for STAB coverage
3) Stealth Rock for hazard damage
4) Rapid Spin for hazard removal

If there was ever a spinner I had not considered for this team, it was Donphan. His general bulk and weakness to grass/water/ice more than likely made me count him out but it was a huge mistake.

Sneaking into the heart of "The Motions"

While setting up stealth rock at times can be a challenge, coming in for an Earthquake that jirachi is about to take means so much more. Between Earthquake and Ice Shard, a lot of my weaknesses are covered by this guy and his great bulk. Ice shard can take out Salamence's that would DD to victory and Stealth Rock can harm all that switch in making my job easier. Earthquake makes for great coverage against opposing Jirachi and Tyrnanitar/Ninetales that would attempt to restore weather. Rapid spin ends the set nicely by providing relief for Thundurus T who would otherwise suffer greatly from stealth rock.

The Boring (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Nasty Plot

His name is a lie, an obvious lie, for he will light your life life up! Introducing Thundurus-Therian the most boring pokemon in existence. He may not outspeed everything but he will absorb and plot to victory! Coming from a very high SAtt coupled with decent speed, he is a very worthy pokemon for this team and far from boring.

1) Grass Knot knocks down walls like Quagsire
2) Thunder for highest STAB possible
3) HP Fire for coverage
4) Nasty Plot for boosting

The reason Thundurus made it over Tornadus was for two reasons. One, he has volt absorb which shuts down Jolteon who can threaten my team and provides recovery. Second, nasty plot with great speed means he can not only set up but destroy the majority of threats that would attempt to kill him aside from Tornadus who outspeeds him great. Being weak to ice isn't a problem at all for this guy.

I keep accidentally letting him get killed lol

He can come in and set up on some of the best walls in the game with no problem and on top of that, outspeeds them all great. Thunderwave gives 25% hp return and only a burn or toxic truly stops a sweep. Scarfed pokemon or Tornadus can pose a problem but others on the team can handle them. What makes Thundurus so amazing is a high SAtt and decent speed. Grass Knot can OHKO the likes of Quagsire and Politoed with ease and with 3 Nasty Plots, decimates some of the bulkiest. Thunder with or with NP still causes high damage and paralysis isn't something to ignore when being able to move means life or death. HP fire creates more coverage and knocks down opposing Ferrothorn and Jirachi with ease. He isn't bulky honestly but his speed and nasty plot make him amazing.

The Nuisance (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 220 HP / 252 SDef / 36 Spd
Gentle Nature
- Water Pulse
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Thunder

Man damn, damn, damn.... "X" has forfeited. I'm used to forfeiting cause I'm bad in general but hey to each their own. The Nuisance was here as part of the core when I first started making the team and has remained throughout. What makes this one so formidable isn't high damage but the ability to shut down almost anyone in it's path.

1) Water Pulse gets boosted in the rain and 40% chance to confuse
2) Iron Head has a 60% chance to flinch plus it's STAB
3) Wish, support Jirachi or anyone else
4) Thunder 60% chance to paralyze with perfect accuracy

Walls should beware, as well anything switching in, or requiring set up. If you aren't electric or ground, you'll go through hell. What makes this cute thing the annoyance and the foundation of my team is Serene Grace.

Serene Grace and You - An Informative RMT

Thunder once or twice or three times to paralyze. Iron head if you might hit like a truck or Water Pulse for confusion. Then proceed to iron head or Thunder away. Rinse and repeat. That's how Jirachi essentially functions on my team while using Wish for survival and support. Only walls like Gastrodon or offensive threats like Thundurus T pose a problem to this guy (Gliscor requires a switch out). Between confusion/paralysis/flinch most people just let the mon die or forfeit because Jirachi effectively shuts down most threats. While earthquake can pose a problem, switching to Miltank can normally solve the problem. But always remember "The Nuisance" is shutting you down.

The Rain (Politoed) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Toxic

When it rains it pours and when it pours, STAB Scalds hurt, maybe even burn. The Rain is the lead and the support in many ways and an invaluable team member. But to some extent he falls into the crowd with of uselessness as far as usefulness goes. But support and a nice bulk is all I ask of him.

1) Scald is STAB and boosted with a chance for a burn
2) Ice beam is for coverage mostly
3) Encore can force switch outs or allow me to set up
4) Toxic to weaken switch ins or weather inducers

If it wasn't for this pokemon, Jirachi and Ferrothorn would go through hell. Reducing fire damage by 50% saves them so much and completely accurate Hurricanes and Thunders just makes life peachy. In all seriousness without this pokemon hell would break loose.

Between just coming out and starting the rain and either sleeping or Perishing someone, he finds usefulness in hitting dragons for decent damage and holding of Thundurus and Tornadus for a couple of hits while weakening or killing them. Scald burns those that I want crippled later on while Encore forces switch outs or allows me to set up effectively. While plagued by physical abuse plus special abuse due to weaknesses it still finds a place in the team aside from keeping the rain up. It's all about support!

The Cliche (Azumarill) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

You expect it in this metagame to not only see a rain team but a rain team with Tornadus on it. Sadly I've had to employ the help of this awkward looking creature in aiding my team to a satisfying victory.

1) Aqua Jet for priority STAB revenge killing and finishing
2) Waterfall for STAB
3) Ice Punch for coverage
4) Superpower makes some nice damage and can finish off those weak to it

Let's pretend that he's bulky with 200 on all base stats and that he makes all my dreams come true. Half of it would be true but still a lie. He's still slow and still disgust me with his defensive stats but that attack and bulk are to be praised more than anything - so here's how I made my team a walking cliche.

Cliches - A Clever TV Trope Or Just A Sad Attempt At Victory

I don't think there's anything more fun in life than a 50 round battle ending in Azumarill Aqua Jetting to victory. While I can't think of anything more fun, one thing does come to mind. He hits hard with a Aqua Jet of base 90 after rain and STAB, he messes people up. Superpower choice banded also hits hard as hell and can demolish a Ferrothorn or Blissey with ease. Ice Punch hits unsuspecting dragon switch ins like dragonite for massive damage and gives good coverage in general. A STAB Waterfall with a power of 180 combined with rain is just deadly especially when choice banded, imagine being flinched. All in all the set isn't as amazing as something Keldeo may have but is still effective nonetheless.

An even shorter outro plus a small threat list -

I'd like to thank everyone for reading this RMT I made and appreciate suggestions and criticism that do come with RMT's I'd like to thank Tornadus T for taking that critical Ice Fang from Gliscor and Jirachi for paralyzing the opponents Jirachi only to get hit by a Thunderwave.

P.S. I hate you Tornadus T

Threats -
  • Cloyster
  • Gastrodon
  • Ferrothorn
  • Starmie
  • Genesect
  • Blissey
  • Keldeo
  • Blissey
  • The guy with the Worry Seed Ferrothorn
  • Volcarona
  • Trick Room
  • Jolteon
    • Thundurus
    • Staraptor
    • Landorous/T
    • Gliscor
    • Salamence
    • Honchrow
    • Terrakion
    • Riolu
    • Metagross
    • Snorlax with Belly Drum
  • http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue21/featured_rmt_ou

No Time to finish this RMT ATM! - Updated!
*Updated Threat List
*Updated RMT and Images
*Updated descriptions and replies to suggestions
*Added in Ferrothorn/Donphan/Thudurus T/Azumarill

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

Nice team! It's cool to see someone use a Miltank. Your team is really weak to Ground types: EdgeQuake hits 2/3 of your team super effectively- and you don't have a single resist. Terrakion is also a huge threat- it gets STAB on Stone Edge, it gets EQ, and it's Close Combat quickly disposes of Politoed and Miltank. Tentacruel seems like the weakest link in your team- it only adds to your weakness of ground and Electric. I think replacing it with Forretress is a better idea.

Forretress @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed nature
~Rapid Spin
~Stealth Rock
~Gyro Ball
~Hidden Power Ice

Forretress does a lot of the things Tentacruel does- it spins, acts as a wall, and it can set hazards. However, it can also take on Terrakion- it's Gyro Ball is an OHKO. Hidden Power Ice lets you nail Landoru-T and Dragon types- both who are also pretty big threats to this team.

Now, there are just a few minor changes I would suggest. First off, Politoed needs a better ev spread- I suggest you give it a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Bold. This allows it to take a lot of hard physical attacks for your team- and because you have Jirachi, you don't need another strong special wall.

Because your team is a bit weak to Tyranitar, I think you should change Tornadus-T's set into something more mixed, so it can hit Tyranitar.

Tornadus-T @ Life Orb
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive nature
~Hurricane
~Grass Knot
~U-Turn
~Superpower

Heat Wave is not necessary- you have Magnezone to take care of steel types for you. U-Turn allows you to scout and regain HP while still attacking. Superpower hits Tyranitar hard- enough for an OHKO if it doesn't carry Chople Berry.

Finally, I think Magnezone needs an Air Balloon. That allows it to wall the rare Choice Banded Ferrothorn all day. It also lets you escape Dugtrio- who would destroy you if you didn't have a balloon.

Nice team, hope I helped!

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hello, cool team you got here.

I see that you can use a bit of a different spread on Politoed. I would use 252 HP / 80 SDef / 176 Def Bold to give equal bulk. I would also use Toxic over Hypnosis to hit bulky water switch ins like Rotom-W, and other dragons and pink blobs Chansey and Blissey with status, scaring them off. I would also use Grass Knot over Heat Wave on Tornadus - T to hit Gastrodon, a registered threat. I would also put U-Turn over Taunt to gain momentum. I would also use a different Magnezone spread of 148 HP / 252 SAtk / 108 Spe Modest nature Thunder / Volt Switch / Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Fire @ Choice Specs to make the most use out of the mock VoltTurn core you have, while also trapping the steels that give Tornadus - T trouble.

Now I notice how much trouble you have with Keldeo, Ferrothorn, Gastrodon, Volcarona, and Blissey who basically walls your entire team. It is for this reason I suggest using Calm Mind Keldeo over Milktank to break stall and aid in defeating Blissey. I also suggest using Ferrothorn over Jirachi to provide a answer to Gastrodon and Starmie. It also provides both Stealth Rock and Spikes support for your team to make use of.

Keldeo @ Leftovers | Justified
252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Dark

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers | Iron Barbs
252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

I want to thank the both of you for your responses and I ended up with some nice team members.

@PDC
Running Ferrothorn now with some EV changes and some move changes. Also running the Politoed spread you suggested as well.

@Electro
Running the Tornadus set with no problems. Loving the Forretress set as well.

I did make some bigger changes overall to the entire team as a whole with a slightly bigger threat list.

*Side note - the ladder competition at night is so much more different than the day time competition. The night side showed me a lot of flaws in how I play and gave me some threats to look out for. I will be updating this RMT with my new team.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey cool team man :)

Saw a quick change that could help you with a few of your key threats, replace Tornadus-T with Terrakion.

The set would be:

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

This set gives your team immense physical power; specifically Terrakion can be used to muscle through threats like Blissey, Ferrothorn, Volcarona, even Gastrodon and Genesect.

The double dancing set also allows for on the spot sweeping, using either boosting move to dominate your opposing team. While Choice Band is tempting I often find that being able to switch between Close Combat and Stone Edge to good to pass up.

Also if you find this change to make you more weak to Keldeo, try switching Thundurus-T to a Scarf set.

Hope that helps!

Hey cool team man :)

Saw a quick change that could help you with a few of your key threats, replace Tornadus-T with Terrakion.

The set would be:

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

This set gives your team immense physical power; specifically Terrakion can be used to muscle through threats like Blissey, Ferrothorn, Volcarona, even Gastrodon and Genesect.

The double dancing set also allows for on the spot sweeping, using either boosting move to dominate your opposing team. While Choice Band is tempting I often find that being able to switch between Close Combat and Stone Edge to good to pass up.

Also if you find this change to make you more weak to Keldeo, try switching Thundurus-T to a Scarf set.

Hope that helps!

I had actually considered Terrakion at one point but dropped the idea in favor of the Thundurus T set I have currently. Plus Azumarill does his job, just slower lol.

Thank you for the feedback, it's an interesting set to say the least - it seems like Terrakion is less and less popular than he used to be but he would add too many EQ weaknesses for me.

Keep the RMT's coming though please!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)