The Next Best Thing - Croagunk

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
apt-get wins almost cleanly. Stay tuned for next mon.

ITS TIRTOUGA

Last edited:
Tirtouga @ Liechi Berry
Trait: Sturdy
Level: 5
EVs: 180 Spd / 84 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Flail
- Stone Edge

prepare for trouble

with one turn of setup, you are facing a +3 attack, +2 speed cute little turtle, having stab priority as usual, but also a 200 base power move (Waterfall is only 120 including STAB). Yeah, just picture cases where standard tirtouga fails and input flail and see how it changes the situation. This set has, like all sweepers, some problems, most noteably hail damage, fake out and steel types, but that's where the other 5 mons come into play (magnemite, wynaut, hippo) The latter can set up Stealth Rocks too which eases tirtouga's sweep.

imo flail should become the 1st option on the analysis i'm dead serious

edit: you can also run protect over aqua jet if you're more worried about fake out than other priority/scarfers

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tirtouga @ Eviolite
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 164 HP / 132 Atk / 12 Def / 156 SDef / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

I remember I used Curse Tirtouga ages ago before the unbanning of the big 3, and it's actually not bad. Use it in sand and at+1 it reaches 24/33/28 Defenses making it really durable despite lacking recovery. Aqua Jet is perfect with Curse to bypass it's dreadful speed. EdgeQuake provides standard coverage, Stone Edge, with EQ used to OHKO Gunk at +1 (who btw only does 25% to tirt with drain punch at +1)

(if someone posts Iron Tail, chances are you'll get my vote btw)

Last edited:

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Tirtouga @ Water Gem
EVs: 4 HP / 216 Atk / 12 Def / 16 SAtk / 12 SDef / 184 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail

(That's the best spread I could come up with HP fire's fucked up IVs, so sorry if it's somewhat inefficient, but it still does its job.)

+2 16 SpA Tirtouga Hidden Power Fire vs. 164 HP / 148 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 20-28 (86.95 - 121.73%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO
(20, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 28)

+2 212+ Atk Water Gem Tirtouga Aqua Tail vs. 156 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 24-28 (104.34 - 121.73%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 212+ Atk Water Gem Tirtouga Aqua Tail vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Timburr: 28-34 (112 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 212+ Atk Water Gem Tirtouga Aqua Tail vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Porygon: 21-25 (80.76 - 96.15%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

this tirtouga set is designed to catch off-guards its checks and counters, namely fighting-types, Ferroseed, and most physical walls. Water Gem might be a bit strange, but it's the only way to OHKO the new defensive spread for Foo. Ferro is also OHKOed by HP fire with these EVs, meaning you can prepare a sweep for something that hates Ferroseed or fighting-types, like Pawniard.

Great set apt-get, I was thinking about the same solution against Ferroseed. If I can still be useful, I can suggest you to consider EQ (if team has a good defense vs Murkow). Earthquake can be very useful vs Croagunk, due to its immunity to water-move and non-effectiveness about Stone Edge.

Tirtouga @ Eviolite
EVs: 212 Atk / 180 Spd / 4 HP / 12 Def / 76 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

SR/Smash Tirtouga, similar to the set Dweebles can run. The priority with this set is obviously to have rocks if you don't have it already in your team, but still be able to Smash if you find an opening.

apt-get

Great set apt-get, I was thinking about the same solution against Ferroseed. If I can still be useful, I can suggest you to consider EQ (if team has a good defense vs Murkow). Earthquake can be very useful vs Croagunk, due to its immunity to water-move and non-effectiveness about Stone Edge.
Croagunk beats you anyway with vacuum wave so there's no point in EQ.

Croagunk beats you anyway with vacuum wave so there's no point in EQ.
IMHO, it's half-true.

Croagunk (Bulk Up)
0- SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. -2 4 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Tirtouga: 9-10 (40.9 - 45.45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Croagunt (Bulky Offensive)
108+ SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. -2 4 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Tirtouga: 10-15 (45.45 - 68.18%) -- 99.61% chance to 2HKO

apt-get

IMHO, it's half-true.

Croagunk (Bulk Up)
0- SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. -2 4 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Tirtouga: 9-10 (40.9 - 45.45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Croagunt (Bulky Offensive)
108+ SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. -2 4 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Tirtouga: 10-15 (45.45 - 68.18%) -- 99.61% chance to 2HKO
I don't use eviolite.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Tirtouga @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 SDef / 212 Atk / 60 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Earthquake
- Waterfall/stone edge
This tirtouga is sort of a wierded-up mess between the offensive smash and defensive variants, but it finds a comfortable middle ground on teams that like to switch a lot. (regenerator teams, volt-turn, bulky attacking teams, etc.) It can even find itself swimming..levitating...whatever onto more offensive teams as a bulky attacker. The odd thing about this set, though, is that it has knock off. This is one of the most annoying, but also most game-changing aspects of this tirtouga. It can knock off eviolites, life orbs, choice items, and still have time to rip holes in the opponents team by effectively making it stronger, by removing eviolite, or more defensively built by killing off the offensive items. EQ is a necessity on every tirtouga set, imo, because croagunk destroys it w-out it. aqua jet is your priority for finishing off pokes that get smashed by waterfall/stone edge, and they can't do much in return. the EV spread it has gives it great special bulk, while still retaining great physical bulk. even Croagunk, one of it's most common counters, is pathetic against our little shining shell:
108+ SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Tirtouga: 6-9 (28.57 - 42.85%) -- 61.55% chance to 3HKO
even magnemite fails to OHKO it:
240 SpA Magnemite Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Tirtouga: 13-18 (61.9 - 85.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
and it isn't bad offensively either.....
212 Atk Tirtouga Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Misdreavus: 16-19 (72.72 - 86.36%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212 Atk Tirtouga Waterfall vs. 132 HP / 212+ Def Eviolite Hippopotas: 14-18 (56 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
All-in-all, this annoying turtle will make a great acquaintance on both offensive and more defensive teams alike, and it has found a good spot on mine. :)

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
the nature is Impish, not Adamant. Srry if there was any confusion. Also i didn't see the edit button (herp-a-derp), so this post would make no sense if I went back and changed it now :I

Last edited:
Tirtouga @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 76 SDef / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

ok this is the bulky Shell Smash set with one key change: Knock off! The way this set works is by Knocking off the Eviolites when walls try to switch into Tirtouga expecting a Shell Smash, Mienfoo, Lileep, Porygon, etc can all live a +2 hit from this set, but with their eviolites Knocked off Mienfoo can be ohko'd and Porygon and Lileep have around a 70% chance of being ohko'd by Stone Edge with a layer of hazards up. This set also works well for knocking of the Choice Scarf of Pokémon that can outspeed it at +2 like Misdreavus and Chinchou letting you be able to get past them with a Shell Smash later on in the match. With an Eviolite and Solid Rock Tirtouga will be healthy enough to Shell Smash, even if it has Knocked off a few Eviolites. Of course the main problem with this set is it can no longer threat sand

Definitely Chieliee, it's the only set that will beat Foongus and Shroomish at full health, both of which would normally survive a +2 Stone Edge otherwise and KO from the get go without dancing around them, and there are way better Minefoo lures than Tirtouga (Flying Gem Acrobatics Aipom, Swords Dance Psycho Cut Pawniard or even just Life Orb Pawniard, etc.) especially since Water Gem is one use.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Um sorry forgot about this. Apt-get wins by a small margin over Chieliee, and gets yet another win.

Next mon is Porygon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)