Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast / Destiny Bond

Trick Room Gengar. I was inspired to nominate this when I recalled a BSS tour replay featuring this set (unfortunately do not remember which tour or who was using this, but do note that this set is not my own.) This allows you to outspeed foes you normally would not have been able to when under Trick Room, or would otherwise have had to risk a speed tie with. Pokemon such as Scarf Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, and opposing Mega Gengar are examples against which this set can prevail. Gengarite does what it does, while Focus Sash allows you to get off a guaranteed TR or act as an emergency revenge killer. Focus Blast hits foes such as Heatran and Mega Kangaskhan for more damage, while Destiny Bond allows you to take down a foe of your choice. I may update this spread later with more dedicated ones, but for now you must put up with my simple and suboptimal EVs.

Last edited:
Reserving Reflect Type

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb
- Reflect Type
- Protect
- Perish Song

The problem with Perish Trap is that it hates Pursuit. You could run Disable, but that won't stop Z-Moves and predictions. But with Reflect Type: You can copy Tyranitar and Muk's typing, and take minimal damage when you switch.

Last edited:
Since there aren't very many noms this week, I'll nominate a set myself.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Disable

This is pretty much your average sub disable Gengar set. You set up sub and the disable your opponent's move and then click a STAB move until they faint. This set is especially good against choice-locked mons, since they can't switch out and end up struggling to death after you disable them.

Submissions are now closed! There are to be no edits of your own Pokemon, nor are there to be any new submissions. A few quick things to note;
  • Voting will close on 4/11 at 9:00pm EST (GMT-5), where the next subject will also be announced
  • You can't vote for your own submission
  • You can only change your vote once, so think carefully before doing so
  • You can vote even if you haven't made a submission. It is expected that you vote if you did submit yourself, but not compulsory

Gengar @ Gengarite / Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast / Destiny Bond

Trick Room Gengar. I was inspired to nominate this when I recalled a BSS tour replay featuring this set (unfortunately do not remember which tour or who was using this, but do note that this set is not my own.) This allows you to outspeed foes you normally would not have been able to when under Trick Room, or would otherwise have had to risk a speed tie with. Pokemon such as Scarf Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, and opposing Mega Gengar are examples against which this set can prevail. Gengarite does what it does, while Focus Sash allows you to get off a guaranteed TR or act as an emergency revenge killer. Focus Blast hits foes such as Heatran and Mega Kangaskhan for more damage, while Destiny Bond allows you to take down a foe of your choice. I may update this spread later with more dedicated ones, but for now you must put up with my simple and suboptimal EVs.
Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb
- Reflect Type
- Protect
- Perish Song

The problem with Perish Trap is that it hates Pursuit. You could run Disable, but that won't stop Z-Moves and predictions. But with Reflect Type: You can copy Tyranitar and Muk's typing, and take minimal damage when you switch.
Since there aren't very many noms this week, I'll nominate a set myself.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Disable

This is pretty much your average sub disable Gengar set. You set up sub and the disable your opponent's move and then click a STAB move until they faint. This set is especially good against choice-locked mons, since they can't switch out and end up struggling to death after you disable them.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Squash's SubDisable

I have virtually zero experience with any Gengar that isn't Taunt Destiny Bond but I think this is what I would've nommed

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
The Squash's SubDisable

I think this set is the least unreliable (Trick Room) and the least situational (Reflect Type.) Admittedly Reflect Type could be nice to solidify your stall MU, but I think SubDisable will come into play more often.

Congratulations to The Squash for winning this week's Next Best Thing! Your submission will be logged in the Archive!
This week's subject is another one of the tenacious tapus: Tapu Koko! Tapu Koko is one of Battle Spot's premier mons thanks to it's amazing speed, great ability, and ability to fire off extra powerful thunderbolts. Tapu Koko is one of the best mons in battle spot and makes a great addition to most teams. So, with all that in mind, what is The Next Best Thing (TM) for Tapu Koko?

You have until Sunday (4/14) at 9:00 p.m. EST (GMT-5) to post your submissions. Best of luck to everyone!

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt / filler
- Volt Switch / U-turn

While this set won't accomplish much on its own, if you pair it with various sweepers they can get a lot more setup going under screens than they could otherwise, making them much more threatening.

Last edited:

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Nature's Madness is kinda rare on Koko nowadays, but it's a nice option to put stuff in Thunderbolt/Gigavolt Havoc/HP Ice range, and Taunt denies fat mons their recovery. The item is Electrium over Tapunium Z due to the immediate offensive pressure of the former. Dazziling Gleam can be run over HP Ice, but the latter does the same damage to Garchomp, Salamence and Hippowdon while hitting Landorus and Gliscor harder.

Hmm, it would be nice to know which sets are blacklisted (i.e. too meta to be the "next best" thing) before I make a suggestion.

Tapu Koko @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power Ice
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn

This is a dedicated lure. If you're like me, you pack AV Bulu, Mega Venusaur or some other bulky Grass-type on every team as a splashable switch-in to Koko - and you're probably swearing about the random bastard who once nailed you with this already. =P For best results, pair with Pokemon like Gyarados and Greninja, both to guarantee that they bring their Grass-type and to go wild once it's out of the way.

252 Atk Tapu Koko Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 178-210 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 168-198 (89.8 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 124-148 (66.3 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 180-212 (81.4 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 208-246 (114.2 - 135.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Oh, and it can land unexpected KOs on Blazikens and Volcaronas who think they can set up as you're forced out, too.

Last edited:

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry / Electric Seed
EVs: 76 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ice / Dazzling Gleam

Calm Mind allows Tapu Koko to set up on forced switches from Pokemon such as Celesteela and Tapu Fini and Roost allows you to set up repeatedly. The given spread is lets you survive a +1 Waterfall from Mega Gyarados, outspeed +Speed-natured base 120s, and coincidentally end up with 252 SpA! Shuca Berry allows you to survive most, if not all, unboosted EQs from common Pokemon. When using Electric Seed, a spread of 68 Def / 244 SpA / 180 Spe allows you to escape the OHKO from Choice Scarf Garchomp's Earthquake.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't wanna sound like a dick, but if you aren't sure if something is meta / common then you probably don't play enough. I don't want to whitelist / blacklist things that aren't in analyses / have a certain usage rate because sometimes we're slow on analyses and setting a hard line for usage can get really tricky. If you're playing the game you can interpret that information though and make an informed post.

That said, if you aren't sure then just ask on Discord or something before posting. I even did that when I was thinking of HP Ice Volc for the Lure thread and ended up not posting about it...

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader

hippo killer (Tapu Koko) @ Grassium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tired of losing to Mence/Koko/Aegi teams? Wish you could totally MISH those Hippowdons with your Tapu Koko? Have no fear, Grassium-Z Koko is here! With just one CM you can blow back all but the most specially defensive of Hippos guaranteed, and proceed to break through your opponent's team with powered up Thunderbolts and HP Ices. The EVs are optimized for CM boosts (aka even stats in SpA and SpD).

+1 244 SpA Tapu Koko Bloom Doom (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 194-230 (90.2 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+1 244 SpA Tapu Koko Bloom Doom (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Hippowdon: 200-236 (93 - 109.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+1 244 SpA Tapu Koko Bloom Doom (160 BP) vs. 228 HP / 140+ SpD Hippowdon: 218-258 (102.8 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
- The latter two calcs are popular spreads for SpD Hippos, so this set of calcs illustrates worst case scenario and most likely scenarios.

+1 244 SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 212 HP / 156 SpD Mega Salamence: 156-184 (79.1 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- SpD Mence isn't Roost stalling this Koko!

244 SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Landorus-T: 88-108 (44.8 - 55.1%) -- 60.2% chance to 2HKO
- Not the best, but we take those

+1 244 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield in Electric Terrain: 99-117 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. +1 4 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 70-84 (47.9 - 57.5%) -- 40.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Gonna post a meme set just for the sake of posting something that's never been used before.

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry/Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Iron Defense
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Now you might be thinking "sobad, walled by every ground type, what a garbage set etc." but hear me out. Pair this with t-spikes (toxapex or greninja) and you'll eventually be able to take down grounds like hippo, swampert, and garchomp. Shuca lets you get to +4 defense against hippo and chomp before their earthquakes start to do super effective damage, and by that time you can easily roost off the damage. Same EV spread as chemcoops up above (too lazy to calc eq damages) but you could easily take some evs out of sp att and put that into hp in order to guarantee landorus and garchomp don't 2hko you with eq at +4 defense. If at this point you're still not convinced that this is the next best tapu koko set... you're absolutely right, congrats you can recognize a terrible set when you see one, but at least nobody can say im not original.

Calcs:
0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. +4 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 50-60 (34.4 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. +4 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 66-80 (45.5 - 55.1%) -- 60.2% chance to 2HKO

Sorry Leader Wallace and PPB but your submissions aren't valid.

Submissions are now closed! There are to be no edits of your own Pokemon, nor are there to be any new submissions. A few quick things to note;
  • Voting will close on 4/19 at 9:00pm EST (GMT-5), where the next subject will also be announced
  • You can't vote for your own submission
  • You can only change your vote once, so think carefully before doing so
  • You can vote even if you haven't made a submission. It is expected that you vote if you did submit yourself, but not compulsory

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt / filler
- Volt Switch / U-turn

While this set won't accomplish much on its own, if you pair it with various sweepers they can get a lot more setup going under screens than they could otherwise, making them much more threatening.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Nature's Madness is kinda rare on Koko nowadays, but it's a nice option to put stuff in Thunderbolt/Gigavolt Havoc/HP Ice range, and Taunt denies fat mons their recovery. The item is Electrium over Tapunium Z due to the immediate offensive pressure of the former. Dazziling Gleam can be run over HP Ice, but the latter does the same damage to Garchomp, Salamence and Hippowdon while hitting Landorus and Gliscor harder.

Tapu Koko @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power Ice
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn

252 Atk Tapu Koko Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 178-210 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Venusaur-Mega: 168-198 (89.8 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 124-148 (66.3 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 180-212 (81.4 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 208-246 (114.2 - 135.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This is a dedicated lure. If you're like me, you pack AV Bulu, Mega Venusaur or some other bulky Grass-type on every team as a splashable switch-in to Koko - and you're probably swearing about the random bastard who once nailed you with this already. =P For best results, pair with Pokemon like Gyarados and Greninja, both to guarantee that they bring their Grass-type and to go wild once it's out of the way.

Oh, and it can land unexpected KOs on Blazikens and Volcaronas who think they can set up as you're forced out, too.

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry / Electric Seed
EVs: 76 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ice / Dazzling Gleam

Calm Mind allows Tapu Koko to set up on forced switches from Pokemon such as Celesteela and Tapu Fini and Roost allows you to set up repeatedly. The given spread is lets you survive a +1 Waterfall from Mega Gyarados, outspeed +Speed-natured base 120s, and coincidentally end up with 252 SpA! Shuca Berry allows you to survive most, if not all, unboosted EQs from common Pokemon. When using Electric Seed, a spread of 68 Def / 244 SpA / 180 Spe allows you to escape the OHKO from Choice Scarf Garchomp's Earthquake.

hippo killer (Tapu Koko) @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tired of losing to Mence/Koko/Aegi teams? Wish you could totally MISH those Hippowdons with your Tapu Koko? Have no fear, Grassium-Z Koko is here! With just one CM you can blow back all but the most specially defensive of Hippos guaranteed, and proceed to break through your opponent's team with powered up Thunderbolts and HP Ices. The EVs are optimized for CM boosts (aka even stats in SpA and SpD).

+1 244 SpA Tapu Koko Bloom Doom (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 194-230 (90.2 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+1 244 SpA Tapu Koko Bloom Doom (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Hippowdon: 200-236 (93 - 109.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+1 244 SpA Tapu Koko Bloom Doom (160 BP) vs. 228 HP / 140+ SpD Hippowdon: 218-258 (102.8 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
- The latter two calcs are popular spreads for SpD Hippos, so this set of calcs illustrates worst case scenario and most likely scenarios.

+1 244 SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 212 HP / 156 SpD Mega Salamence: 156-184 (79.1 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- SpD Mence isn't Roost stalling this Koko!

244 SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Landorus-T: 88-108 (44.8 - 55.1%) -- 60.2% chance to 2HKO
- Not the best, but we take those

+1 244 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield in Electric Terrain: 99-117 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. +1 4 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 70-84 (47.9 - 57.5%) -- 40.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Gonna post a meme set just for the sake of posting something that's never been used before.

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry/Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Iron Defense
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Now you might be thinking "sobad, walled by every ground type, what a garbage set etc." but hear me out. Pair this with t-spikes (toxapex or greninja) and you'll eventually be able to take down grounds like hippo, swampert, and garchomp. Shuca lets you get to +4 defense against hippo and chomp before their earthquakes start to do super effective damage, and by that time you can easily roost off the damage. Same EV spread as chemcoops up above (too lazy to calc eq damages) but you could easily take some evs out of sp att and put that into hp in order to guarantee landorus and garchomp don't 2hko you with eq at +4 defense. If at this point you're still not convinced that this is the next best tapu koko set... you're absolutely right, congrats you can recognize a terrible set when you see one, but at least nobody can say im not original.

Calcs:
0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. +4 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 50-60 (34.4 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. +4 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 66-80 (45.5 - 55.1%) -- 60.2% chance to 2HKO

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
Voting for Darkinium's Calm Mind set. While I don't think it's the best set on this list, I have to vote for it since the Dual Screens, Flyinium Z, and NM sets are all either analysis sets or are common enough that I don't think they shouldn't be considered for "Next Best Thing"

My favourite is Darkinium's CM.

Dual Screens is probably the best set up there but also pretty common. What I would say is I'd probably use a slightly different EV spread if you are running a more offensive CM:

Tapu Koko
EVs: 76 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature

The only real difference is that it allows you to outspeed greninja as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)