SM OU The one hit wonder

Introduction: Hey all. This is my first RMT I've made, but I've been playing for a while and the pokemon that this team is featuring is my favorite pokemon, Shedinja.

Just in case: Shedinja for the few people that don't know, is the one pokemon in the game with the ability wonder guard; only super effective moves can hit the nasty bug, but he only has 1 hp, making him a ONE HIT WONDER hehehe... anyways...

Shedinja:
Shedinja is the core of the team concept and a big player in how I force my enemies hand in making plays. Because Shedinja is only killable using a status move or one of the 5 super effective type attacks, I started with looking at the type coverages I'd want for the very core of this team, listed below in what I consider to be the approximate most to least common (I could easily be wrong, especially on the bottom 3).

1. FIRE
  2. DARK
  3. FLYING
  4. GHOST
  5. ROCK (not counting stealth rocks)
So I need to be sure to have coverage for each of these.

Mc Hammer (Shedinja) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Baton Pass
- X-Scissor
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak

The key moves here in most games being Baton pass and Will-o-wisp. If I know the pokemon that my opponent has in is doesn't have a move of the types above, Shedinja comes in to dodge a hit and force a switch. Using Baton pass gives me a switch after theirs and allows me to counter whatever they bring in for free or if I'm in an unfavorable match up I can switch to shedinja and sacrifice the sash next turn for a fairly free baton pass out. If I expect a big physical threat on their team to be coming in, willo is an excellent choice. Shedinja also happens to be my only priority, so sneak is a nice revenge kill tool if really needed.

Tapu Fini: Looking at the roster of new mons this gen yet again while I planned my first Shedinja team of the season, one of the Tapus caught my eye, Tapu Fini. Resisting fire and dark and having no weaknesses to the other 3 types, it makes a very solid compliment to Shedinja, particularly given it has the bulk to switch in and take a hit and the move defog to clear hazards for the little guy. Its ability bringing in misty terrain to block status effects is a plus.

Not Cloyster (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Taunt

Not much to explain, I gave it special attack instead of special defense even though its my primary special wall and it eats up a lot of attacks regardless.

Espeon: Magic bounce tends to be a common staple to Shedinja based teams. I run shedinja in lower tiers as well and personally don't use the Xatu/Natu tribe, but it's considered typical. Running magic bounce means less stealth rocks and less toxic/willo, which means more Shedinja time.

Espeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

I ran psyshock over psychic because as you'll see this team is lacking much in the way of raw physical attacking power. Hp fire because I needed a fire move on my team, particularly to kill enemy Ferrothorns. Specs for that extra umph and because scarf is meh in my opinion.

Excadrill: In the past I hadn't considered running Excadrill paired with Sheddy, but he does resist flying and double resist rock type. I needed some strong earthquake action, so now he's there.

Simon (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

So given I already have two forms of hazard control, I figured to hell with a squishy rapid spinner and went for more offense. Eq iron head and rock slide all seemed obvious and with the number of faeries running rampant in ou poison jab seemed smart, though I've considered switching to X-scissor, shadow claw or even brick break. Speed seems to be his downfall with the life orb set, however a scarf might be too many choice users, which brings me to my next mon.

Tapu Koko: Initially when I made this team I was using Xurkitree with a scarf. It hit like a truck and was a good volt switcher for momentum. Turns out koko is better in a lot of cases. Covers flying, but not amazingly well. I mentioned before this team is all about switching in from shedinja to have a strong matchup, but you also want to have more than one way to get to shedinja. Tapu Koko gives me just that little bit of prediction games I crave and tends to do pretty well for me.

Hot Cocoa (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thunderbolt for that extra power when needed and hp ice for the coverage I so desperately need and surprise factor. I'm not sure if specs is needed, but it sure does feel good when paired with electric terrain.

Ferrothorn: Finally, I needed two things, a way to punish people for switching away from Shedinja and out of volt switch, and a physical tank. Ladies and gentlemen, the most innovative set you've seen today, a hazard setting Ferrothorn

Hug Machine (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off
- Spikes

Relaxed Nature IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off
- Spikes

I'd consider running power whip over gyro ball, but there's not many water threats that stay in on this thing besides Greninja maybe.

Threats to the team I've encountered and weaknesses:
  • Celesteele with autotomotize: Destroys pretty much everything on my team, potential to clean sweep.

• Fire: I've only got one thing to resist a strong hit from a fire type. If Fini goes down it could end up game over

• Ash greninja: If it gets a kill and shedinja with sash isn't around to stop it. It's a big threat.

• The common ground types: I need to be able to keep momentum with Koko, if I volt switch and they bring in a ground type, I get punished for it.

• Volcorona: sets up for free and destroys the team

I'd love to hear some actual ratings and feedback from you all. :)

P.S. 'shedinja is bad is not feed back'

Mc Hammer (Shedinja) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Baton Pass
- X-Scissor
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak

Not Cloyster (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Taunt

Simon (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

Hot Cocoa (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Espeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off
- Spikes

Last edited:
For a team centered around shedinja, it looks pretty good. Nevertheless, I have some ideas.

To Adress the issues you brought up, another water type added to the team would be a major help. It covers Celesteelia's main stab, resists Fiery Dance, Water Shuriken, and hits super effective on ground. Mantine might be a good pick to add, as it's bulky, walls the threats you discussed, and has a Ground immunity. Also, Hazard removal is not needed on it because of Espeon and Fini, but is a nice option to have.

Adding a pivot mon to your team would also be fantastic for Shedinja. Koko getting U-Turn would help, but I think adding Lando might be a nice alternative to Ferrothorn. It can run a similar set, and has resistances that would still help.

Also you forgot to give Shedinja max HP.

Last edited:
I think you're probably spot on for the recommendation of a water type, but I don't think that mantine is a great fit, or maybe I'm just biased against mantine. If I had to drop a mon right now, based on the way my games have been playing out, I'd drop Excadrill. Excadrill's roll right now is often to make a safer switch into an electric user like magnezone and force a switch, which shedinja can't always do.

So it breaks down to wanting a ground type and a water type that is physical... Mega Swampert does jump to mind, thoughts?

Edit: Giga drain on volc would be a problem still though

Edit 2: oh it's not out yet

Last edited:
Ok baby, I'm seeing your team right here, and I'm just gonna tell you right here. Shedinja offense isn't good but if you insist on running it, I'll tell you how to fix your team.

First of all is the sets my g, the sets. Get rid of Specs on Koko, Choiced Electric types are snacks in this metagame, Ground types are everywhere and you basically lose all of your momentum when you lock yourself into a move and are forced to hardswitch out, which is an L because you basically have 5 team members. On top of that your team has no answer for Ferrothorn, so the Expert Belt set will help with that and lure it.

Expert Belt >>> Choice Specs
Hidden Power Fire >>> Hidden Power Ice

On Espeon, again the Choice Specs. People usually run checks for a much heavier hitter that hardly needs a boosting item (see: Tapu Lele.) Once again, freedom of attacks is also key. I would also take a move over Shadow Ball since every Steel Psychic thats getting hit by it is effectively countered by Shedinja, and change your Hidden Power so you can actually beat the more common Stealth Rock setters.

Choice Scarf >>> Choice Specs
Hidden Power Ice >>> Hidden Power Fire
Trick >>> Shadow Ball

Now that I've gotten potential set changes out of the way, I'm going to have to switch some mons around.

First of all, you honestly have no wincon. You just chip your opponents away looks like the strategy, and your stall matchup appears to be incredibly weak. So over Excadrill, I would run SubCoil Zygarde w/ Toxic, this set also punishes a lot of Ground types that trouble you by taking advtantage of their physical orientation, as well as being a soft check to Celesteelas and Zardys.

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 240 HP / 212 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
-Substitute
-Thousand Arrows
-Coil
-Toxic

Next, I'm going to agree with Hanken and say run Mantine over Fini. Mantine has the benefit of reliable recovery, as well as access to Defog and being able to hardwall threats like Greninja, Volcarona and QD Pheromosa which basically just wins if you can't keep your Shedinja.

[
]
Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
-Scald
-Defog
-Roost
-Haze

In short:

Expert Belt HP Fire Koko > Specs HP Ice Koko

Choice Scarf Trick Espeon > Specs Shadow Ball Espeon

SubCoil Zygarde > Excadrill

Mantine > Fini

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)