The OU Stallbreaker

Hey guys, Hobo here and welcome to my second RMT on the Smogon Forums. Today we have a nice stall breaking team that i came up with. (with some help ofc) lol thanks Dread! Anyway, it seems pretty solid so far, although i would like to see if there's anything i could change for the better. Before we get into things though, i would just like to show you this battle i had with a good friend of mine Avarice87. I'd honestly say it's my favorite battle i've had with this team! His RMT will be down below :)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-92493768

Let's get into the team!

upload_2014-2-22_9-55-2.png

Medicham (M) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Psycho Cut
- Fire Punch
- Fake Out

The first member of my team who i built around is mega-medicham. This thing is the definition of a stall breaker! HJK and Psycho Cut are here for obvious reasons, plus they are stab. The two remaining slots, however i'm not sure about. Bullet Punch Fake out is nice for revenge killing and fire punch is nice to hit Aegislash, who otherwise could do good damage to this team. Thoughts on the set however would be much appreciated.

upload_2014-2-22_9-58-24.png

Rhyperior (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 100 Atk / 248 HP / 160 SDef
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Punch

This thing is a monster. Even with no defensive investment, he can still easily take super effective hits thanks to a great ability called solid rock. If you didn't already know, solid rock allows you to take 3/4 damage from super effective hits! Earthquake is great for stab, rock blast to break subs and hit talonflame, dragon tail to phase and shuffle up the opponent's team, especially on a switch, and ice punch is just there for coverage on gliscor and lando.

252+ Atk Choice Band Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: (73.9 - 87.3%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: (80.1 - 94.7%)
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: (39.4 - 46.5%)

It may not always be pretty, but it lives.

upload_2014-2-22_10-13-9.png

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

In my opinion, Greninja is one of the best revenge killers in the current meta-game. With blazing speed and stab on every move, this thing is a nightmare for opposing teams. This set is very standard for Greninja and im sure you all have seen it before. U-turn is nice for momentum although hp fire can work as well to hit scizor, ferrothorn, and forretress.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

I swear, this thing invented the phrase "eating it ap!" A solid check to any physical attack, especially fighting, zapdos can easily switch in and get off an easy defog or hit hard with a stab tbolt. Zapdos is amazing for taking on mega pinsir as well as talonflame, making him key to the team's longevity. This is a defensive set so tbolt and heat wave wont be doing as much as they should, but they definitely get by.

Goodra (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

My lord, I cant even express how much i love this thing. As cool as Greninja is, Goodra is probably my favorite Gen 6 Poke. Its just too cute! Look at it! lol
Anyway, it was really at this point that i sat back and looked at my team. The 2 big weaknesses i saw were water and grass, as Rhyperior unfortunately takes 4x damage from each. Goodra was the first thing that came to mind. With its OUTSTANDING attacking movepool, Goodra can run physical or special sets. I opted for the physical set here as i would actually be able to make use of sap sipper. Assault vest allows him to retain his special bulk, as he doesn't have a good form of recovery to even consider.

upload_2014-2-22_20-53-27.png

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Roar
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

The North Wind himself, Suicune is the final member of my team. The spot was originally awarded to aegislash, but quite honestly he wasn't filling the role my team desperately needed. We lacked a central, defensive pivot that could bridge the gap between zapdos and goodra, who are both weak to ice. Defensive Suicune was recommended to me by Dread Arceus (Seevea) so props to you buddy! The infamous rest/talk set is great for walling physical threats along with scald for the burn chance + stab. Calm mind was originally on this set above roar but unfortunately this turned Suicune into set-up fodder for substitute users.

Aegislash

So yeah, here's the team! I hope you enjoyed reading about it as much as i have putting it together! It's worked pretty well so far like i've said although it could still be better. Any suggestions or improvements would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/burning-attack-peaked-2500.3497821/

Ava's RMT, Check it out! ^

Attachments

Last edited:
Id definetely suggest running 72 HP/ 252 Atk / Rest in Speed for MegaCham. Also consider running Substitute over Bullet Punch, or Drain Punch. The sheer fact of the matter is that MegaCham is a wallbreaker, not a sweeper. Bullet Punch is a pretty weak move even with the massive Attack that MegaCham has. Most walls are also slower than MegaCham, so theres really no need to try and us priority.

Substitute is great, as you can bring MegaCham in on something like a MegaSaur, and sub on the switch. Really helps easing prediction, although it will wittle down your HP, especially when factoring in potential HJK misses. Alternatively, Fake Out can be pretty clutch in certain situatons, or Drain Punch can be considered for the fourth move to restore any HP. The other three move options are pretty solid options.

Physical Goodra is ehh. Ive seen that in a majority of matches, alot of people just end up burning Goodra, rendering Sap Sipper boosts not as useful. Having two assault vest users is also slightly redundant. Maybe just change Rypherior to Lefties with SR instead? SR helps where down Thundy, TFlame, and MPInsir, which you can force out with Zapdos making them take even more damage when they come back in.

For Aegislash I would recommend a Quiet nature over Brave. I find that while WP is frightening, Spooky Plate is much more consistent.

Since this Aegislash set typically is employed as a wall breaker, and you already hve a fantastic one in the form of MegaCham, I would try using a set-up sweeper, which your team lacks.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 88 Atk / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Rash Nature
- Autotomize
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ice
- Iron Head / Sacred Sword

Point is to stay in Shield Form, and set up an Autonomize. Basically outspeeds everything up to Positive natured base 130s. Kills shit. Will leave you vulnerable to opposing Aegislash, but those can be wittled down by greninja, Rhypherior, and Zapdos.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
The main threat I see is DD Gyarados/Mega Gyarados, who can OHKO everything after a single Dragon Dance, bar Goodra (who can't return with an OHKO). To deal with this, I would suggest changing Aegislash > Suicune. Unlike Aegislash, Suicune isn't relying on Weakness Policy to get its boosts, and it takes very little from DDos's attacks (about 40%~ from a +1 EQ on regular LO DDos, who actually hits harder than the mega). Another thing to be noted is that it still beats SS Cloyster, and as an added bonus, can tank a hit from +1 Mega Charizard X (note that it returns about 30%~ to it). Set:
Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
Hope I helped =]

Nice team dude. First off, Fire Punch of Bullet Punch imo on Medicham. It's a safer, more reliable way to hit Scizor and Ferrothorn, as well as at least denting Aegislash on the switch before being forced out. I personally like Megahorn on Rhyperior for Espeon, as it's very unexpected, and can break Baton Pass chains. I feel like something better could be used over Aegislash, as you don't seem to be completely sold on him. Maybe Haxorus, or even Mixed Infernape. Just something to consider. Love you dude!

Firstly, I feel like you really need to have rocks on this team only because I feel it would help deal with talonflame who ohkos Greninja. Also, I feel like it would have a Charizard X weakness after a boost. & as far as the weakness policy goes... I've never really been a huge fan tbh, I recommend Spooky Plate with 26 attk ev's and max special Attk rest in Hp. & partly I agree with Seeva with the Suicune as well. Goodra can deal some much needed damage to Mega Gya... But again after a boost he kinda has a party with your team.

Hey guys, thanks for all of the support with my team! I decided to go with the defensive suicune set suggested by Dread (Seevea). Unfortunately i dont see how im going to get stealth rocks on this team. Only option is Rhyperior and he really relies on that AV. Well see though i guess...

Very nice team!!! Not bad at all!!! Let's get started:

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Evs: 140 Atk / 116 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Psycho Cut / Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch / Ice Punch

Mega-Medicham isn't really a sweeper, he is a wall breaker. Bullet Punch is useless because most of the pokemons you will face with this guy will be slower then it. Substitute is a great way to avoid status conditions. Letting Mega-Medicham go in on a pokemon that you know is going to switch out is the perfect time to set up this "shield." Drain Punch can easily regain the health that you lost from substitutes and attacks with Mega-Medicham's massive attack thanks to Pure Power. The best move between Psycho Cut and Zen Headbutt in my opinion is Psycho Cut because of the perfect accuracy and high-crit rate, but if you want a tad more power and the chance of flinch against a little bit of an accuracy drop, use Zen Headbutt. Thunder Punch hits flying type as hard as Ice Punch, has more cover, hits bulky Water types, and is a has 100% chance to OHKO Talonflame which pretty much destroys more than half of your team. If you feel that Gliscor and Landorus(-T) is more of a threat then Talonflame, Ice Punch is the preferable option.
.140 ATK + Pure Power Medicham Mega Thunder Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 334-394 (112 - 132.2%) - guaranteed OHKO
140 ATK + Pure Power Medicham Mega Thunder Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 360-424 (120.8 - 142.2%) - guaranteed OHKO
140+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 242-288 (100 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
140+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clawitzer: 304-358 (87.8 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Rhyperior is okay with Assault Vest, but I personally think that he is better Leftovers tank. Here is a set:

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SDef / 100 Def
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Roar / Dragon Tail

Rhyperior can easily setup Stealth Rock on non-Water/Grass types, survive some hits, and deal a good amount of damage. It also checks Talonflame, Electric types, and even some Steel types thanks to Solid Rock ability. Earthquake has great coverage with the rock type move of you choice, while hitting hard with the STAB. Rock Slide is the preferable option because of the better accuracy and the 30% chance to flinch. Stone Edge is a little more powerful than Rock Slide, but has horrible accuracy. Roar/Dragon Tail can phase Baton Passing chains and do Stealth Rock damage. I usually use Roar because of the 100% accuracy, but if you want a little damage against some accuracy, use Dragon Tail. Here is some of the damage Rhyperior can take:
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 157-186 (36.1 - 42.8%)
252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 121-144 (27.8 - 33.1%)
252+ SpA Ludicolo Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 156+ SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 363-432 (83.6 - 99.5%)
4 SpA Milotic Scald vs. 252 HP / 156+ SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 306-360 (70.5 - 82.9%)

Greninja's set is just fine. Nothing I can think of I can do to improve Zapdos in any way possible. Goodra's set is...okay. It is not very great set in my opinion for Assaut Vest Goodra. I think that a special Goodra would work better. Infestation is great on an Assault Vest pokemon! For Goodra, I would probably use Infestation, Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, and Dragon Pulse. I would think that the Gooey ability is more useful than Sap Sipper because you already resist Grass type moves, and it slows down all pokemon who uses Physical moves on Goodra (that kinds of makes-up for Goodra's poor defense). Maybe 252 HP, lots of Defense Evs, a little Special Attack EVs, and a Bold Nature? I agree with the other commenters about Autotomize Aegislash.
I am just giving you different options for you pokemons. Hope I helped :)

EDIT: Just read about your Aegislash --> Suicune change. Just ignore the Aegislash section.

Thanks for rating! I really like a lot of the ideas you had, including that mega cham set. Quite a few people have been recommending substitute, so ill definitely have to try it out! As for the rhyperior set, i definitely would like the stealth rocks, however AV has saved me many times. Id compare him to conkeldurr in that regard.

Thanks for rating! I really like a lot of the ideas you had, including that mega cham set. Quite a few people have been recommending substitute, so ill definitely have to try it out! As for the rhyperior set, i definitely would like the stealth rocks, however AV has saved me many times. Id compare him to conkeldurr in that regard.
The Rhyperior Assault Vest or the Stealth Rock set is completly your choice. Some matches you will win thanks to Assault Vest, while some matches you will win thanks to the Stealth Rock damage. It is just what you think will be more helpful in the long run.

Last edited:
After testing Sub on Mega Cham, ive decided i dont really care for it when i can just OHKO Rotom Wash with HJK. Bullet Punch/Fake out it is. Gonna test both out now to see which one of those I like better. The rest of the team has done pretty nicely, no complaints.

Thanks for the rate TFL! A lot of people have been wanting me to change Rhyperior's set so stealth rocks, although i love AV. With Av, he can live a mega zard Y's Solarbeam and take less than 50% from a solar powered Helio's focus blast. That being said, with this many people suggesting rocks, i think im gonna test it out for a while. Probable gonna replace dragon tail, even tho it is nice for phasing, as he needs the Ice Punch for chomp, lando, and gliscor.
Also testing out BP on Mega Cham like stated above ^ although ik you didnt see that so ill just disregard. :)

Thanks andyschrijvers! I appreciate the support with the team! And petrico, i believe you are referring to Outrage on Goodra? 1. That is a physical Goodra so Outrage is the best stab it gets 2. Fairy switches are easy to predict so thats not really an issue. Thanks for the comment tho

AustinJ

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
A minor thing that could be beneficial is Discharge over Thunderbolt. The 30% paralysis is great in exchange for just 10 BP.

Thanks for commenting AustinJ! That's actually not a bad idea, something i easily overlooked. I'm gonna go run some calcs on Discharge>Thunderbolt with no SPA investment, to see how it looks. Definitely think i will make that change tho :)

Just as a note, sableye shits on this team... Trying to work something out now, thoughts would be much appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)