Project The OU Underdog Project (Week 17: Gogoat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor Shell over Hydro Pump is team reliant, not one is too better than the other.

Please use Life Orb on Cloyster, it needs every bit of power it can get. Yeah Sash gives it 'guranteed' smash but with like 95 base attack it wants every bit of power it can get, including Life Orb.

Karxrida there I fixed that bit.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hydro lets you get past Mega Metagross after a bit of prior damage + Rocks (not that hard) and a LO, which is a good enough reason to use it. Also Physically Defensive Skarm gets murdered by it, which is important because you don't want to get phazed out.

Specially defensive Skarm is the norm these days tbf, and Skarm does jackshit to you, although the bit about MMetagross is true, that thing should be removed before trying to sweep.
+2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 187-222 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Skarmory: 255-300 (76.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 277-327 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 96-114 (39.8 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
Specially defensive Skarm is the norm these days tbf, and Skarm does jackshit to you, although the bit about MMetagross is true, that thing should be removed before trying to sweep.
+2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 187-222 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Skarmory: 255-300 (76.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 277-327 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 96-114 (39.8 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Whirlwind is what Skarmory can do to you, which is an issue since you'll have to try and set up again. Good luck with that if you were running White Herb for some reason.

Why remove Metagross when you can kill it yourself, plus what the hell is Razor Shell hitting that Icicle Spear and Rock Blast don't already? Heatran and Tyranitar are pretty much it that are high-ranked, and they can still die to Hydro with a bit of prior damage and/or Life Orb.

+2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 302-356 (78.4 - 92.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 276-326 (68.4 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 4 SpA Life Orb Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 393-463 (102 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 4 SpA Life Orb Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 359-424 (89 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

It's really team reliant, so it doesn't really matter. I just prefer running full physical but there are reasons for both.

A couple of things to consider:
  • Physically defensive Skarmory is still cleanly 2HKOed by Icicle Spear, and you are getting a bigger dent into Skarmory should it go for the Whirlwind.
  • Razor Shell has a 50% chance of a defense drop, putting you at net +3. Should you get that drop, Metagross is a clean two-shot. Even if you don't, it's a 60.5% chance, which is far from reliable, granted.
  • Gross still two-shots you with Meteor Mash--a STAB, so it does so even without having to play the "what coverage is Metagross packing today?" game. Cloyster should not be facing Metagross unless it absolutely has to.

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
A couple of things to consider:
  • Physically defensive Skarmory is still cleanly 2HKOed by Icicle Spear, and you are getting a bigger dent into Skarmory should it go for the Whirlwind.
  • Razor Shell has a 50% chance of a defense drop, putting you at net +3. Should you get that drop, Metagross is a clean two-shot. Even if you don't, it's a 60.5% chance, which is far from reliable, granted.
  • Gross still two-shots you with Meteor Mash--a STAB, so it does so even without having to play the "what coverage is Metagross packing today?" game. Cloyster should not be facing Metagross unless it absolutely has to.
Why 2HKO something that can phaze you out when you can OHKO it with Rocks up? Plus you can scout for SpD Skarm based off of the damage it takes from teammates, and it gets OHKO'd by +2 LO Icicle Spear. The merit of Hydro is that you barely need to wear down Metagross to secure your sweep, which is important enough to justify using it.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, so last week, something came up and I completely forgot to update the thread. Oops. Sorry about that!

To make up for it, I've decided to make this week about 2 Pokemon instead of just one. So, this week's Pokemon are Nidoking and Nidoqueen!

Despite their less-than-impressive stats, these two can, thanks to their offensive coverage and the amazing ability that is Sheer Force, be pretty big threats to balanced and bulky offensive teams even in OU. Unfortunately, they both suffer immense competition from Landorus, who is faster, more powerful, and has acess to boosting moves in Calm Mind and Rock Polish. But Nidoking and Nidoqueen have a few tricks up their sleeves, namely, a Poison typing which given them STAB on Sludge Wave enables them to switch into Fiary types more easily, acess to Ice Beam when Landorus hasto rely on HP Ice, and acess to Toxic Spikes. And now, with the LAndorus suspetc test, there's a strong possibility that these two will finally be able to find some OU relevance pretty soon. SO, are Nidoking and Nidoqueen good in OU, and if so, which of the two is better in OU? Let's find out!

Well I mean; if we're going to compare them it only makes sense to bring up their only relevant difference: Their stats.

81/102/77/85/75/85 - Nidoking
90/92/87/75/85/76 - Nidoqueen

Now we can consider the speed mostly irrelevant due to the fact they have no reliable speed boosting - other than Scarf - and the fact that King ain't exactly outspeeding many top-tier offensive threats Nidoqueen isn't. So the biggest reasons to use one of the other would be:-

Nidoking
  • Can outspeed up to even base 150s like Mega Alakazam with a Scarf set
  • Packs quite a bit more power
Nidoqueen
  • The balk
So from this I'd say Queen fits better on balance teams as a semi-powerful wallbreaker while King fits better on offensive teams in need of a relatively powerful scarfer with variety.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Toxic Spikes

I guess Nidoking / Nidoqueen have niches in being offensive Toxic Spikes wallbreakers, and unlike Dragalge, has means of hitting Steel-types such as Metagross and Skarmory immune to in Earth Power and Fire Blast, respectively. However, I don't think Nidoking is very viable, as it has a bad match-up against a lot of the tier, looking at S and A+ rank it only wins against Clefable and sort of against Mega Sableye and Mega Scizor, and as you said, outclassed quite a bit by Landorus. Lack of Speed really doesn't help its cause, as it's easily picked off by faster threats such as Latios, Keldeo, and Mega Metagross.

Personally, Nidoqueen would probably be more viable, in my opinion. This is due to an increase in bulk, which means it'll have an easier time setting up Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes. It's Speed tier is really awkward too, which means Nidoqueen will probably run a Modest nature whereas Nidoking will opt for Timid for outspeeding base 80s such as Mega Altaria and Dragonite and base 81s such as (Mega) Gyarados. Not the most familiar with how these two work, but I could see Nidoqueen be more of a bulky tank-ish sort of Pokemon, setting up Toxic Spikes and retaliating with powerful STAB moves.

Nido's have decent typing as far as resists go, and that combined with their less than desirable speed leaves them as a fit on bulky offense / balanced teams. What can they offer to these teams, more important that everything else? Toxic Spikes. OU really isn't a Toxic Spikes tier (Ubers is an example of one I think) but the ability to add even regular Poison chip damage on top of SR could be great for a wallbreaker. I think any kind of Nido usage has to go back to Toxic Spikes, as they are pretty outclassed in other regards, and there's even competition there with Dragalge and Tentacruel. Nido's hit harder than Tenta and are a good bit faster than Drag so that's where their small niche lies.

Nido's have decent typing as far as resists go, and that combined with their less than desirable speed leaves them as a fit on bulky offense / balanced teams. What can they offer to these teams, more important that everything else? Toxic Spikes. OU really isn't a Toxic Spikes tier (Ubers is an example of one I think) but the ability to add even regular Poison chip damage on top of SR could be great for a wallbreaker. I think any kind of Nido usage has to go back to Toxic Spikes, as they are pretty outclassed in other regards, and there's even competition there with Dragalge and Tentacruel. Nido's hit harder than Tenta and are a good bit faster than Drag so that's where their small niche lies.
Nidoqueen can also set up Stealth Rock, which is pretty handy (as you noted).

Toxic Spikes/SR and two Filler Moves (Ice Beam/Earth Power/Sludge Wave/Flamethrower let you get past select things) with a purely defensive spread (HP/Defense) could be fairly solid. Dunno if it's worth investing in SpA (seeing as running Black Sludge might be best since you have no reliable recovery).

I have to wonder if it's a small niche. I mean, aside from Lando and Mega Camerupt, there are pretty much no special Sheer Force users in OU. Camerupt works best under Trick Room, a playstyle that waxes and wanes, and Lando is of course on the block. Who knows, these two might actually make it to the tier on usage, let alone viability.

You thought Kingdra was the king of critical hits. Well, guess what?
YOU WERE WRONG!!!
Behold, the incredibly gimmicky CRIT KING!

"He wears the face of the fallen king as a mask to troll his enemies. He makes n00bs rage quit."

Nidoking (M) @ Scope Lens/Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Focus Energy
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Sucker Punch/Fire Blast/Ice Beam

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A GIMMICK SET. ALTHOUGH IT IS HIGHLY ENTERTAINING USING IT IN LOWER LADDER, I DO NOT SUGGEST YOU USE THIS.
The purpose of this set is to simply threaten something out (such as Ferrothorn) once everything that outspeeds it (which is a lot) is gone. Focus Energy, combined with Scope Lens, gives Nidoking a 100% chance to get a crit. Life Orb, on the other hand, gives you more power if you crit, though you only have a 50% chance to do so.
The last slot if all about preference. Sucker Punch allows Nidoking to hit Psychic/Ghost types that outspeed it, such as Gengar, Latios, and Alakazam. Fire Blast hits bulky steel types that are neutral/immune to Earth Power, such as Ferrothorn and Bronzong. There are other alternatives, such as Ice Beam and Focus Blast.
Here are some rather sexy calcs to go with this.
252 SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn on a critical hit: 540-636 (153.4 - 180.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong on a critical hit: 228-270 (67.4 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Life Orb can net you the OHKO most of the time after stealth rock)
0 Atk Nidoking Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar on a critical hit: 266-314 (102.7 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Nidoking Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios on a critical hit: 214-252 (71.5 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (if Latios has had priot damage from switching into Stealth Rock twice or/and Life Orb recoil, Nidoking can OHKO)
0 Atk Nidoking Sucker Punch vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Mega Alakazam on a critical hit: 250-296 (96.5 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur on a critical hit: 195-231 (53.5 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (assuming it switches in and takes a hit, Nidoking can cleanly 2HKO)
252 SpA Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye on a critical hit: 192-226 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It should be noted that all these calcs deal much more damage with Critical Hit + Life Orb.

As shown by the last few calcs, Nidoking can demolish stall teams once blobs have been taken out (which means Satan Gothitelle makes a good partner for Nidoking) and weakened a bit. Again, this is a gimmick, so don't try to ladder with this any time soon (but if you attempt to, you have balls).

The Nido's (offensively) are things that I figure could see niche usage if not for the fact that their main competition (Landorus) was such a prominent threat not just in comparison, but in its own right. If Lando goes, I could see one of these two finding use as an offensive Toxic Spiker (albeit maybe C- at absolute best), competing with Dragalge on the basis of stronger coverage options with similar main STAB damage and better speed (not sure anything falls inbetween the two notable, but it's there).

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 199-234 (58.3 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 200-238 (58.6 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Adaptability Dragalge Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 186-220 (54.5 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Drag's obviously not running Specs on TS sets, and while Draco Meteor outstrips by a wide margin, that's much less spammable, so I didn't think to compare that immediately. And their Sheer Force boosts coverage while Drag's Adaptability does not.

And while they lose once they come in, these two do threaten the hazard removers in OU if they attempt to switch in (Modest Nidoqueen is about as strong as Neutral Nidoking, to avoid redundant calcs).
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 234-276 (77.7 - 91.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Ice Beam vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 203-239 (63.6 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 187-222 (44.2 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 237-281 (56 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Standard Offensive Hazards outspeeds, so 2HKO suffices)

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 354-421 (83.4 - 99.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (Bulky Spinner used since it's the most resilient Excadrill set with the move. Sand Rush or bleh Scarf can't switch in at all despite outspeeding)

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 231-273 (88.1 - 104.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

The only spinner that switches in safely is Bulky Starmie. That said, it needs prior damage on Queen (King just needs SR and a layer of spikes) to outright win, since Scald won't OHKO on its own and Starmie is 2HKO'd back
0 SpA Starmie Scald vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Nidoking: 242-288 (79.8 - 95%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

That said, Drag could pull some of these off as well, though it doesn't fare as well against Bulky Drill and Mandibuzz
Bulky Excadrill
252+ SpA Dragalge Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 146-174 (34.4 - 41%) -- 87.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Outsped and near always OHKOed by 0 Atk Earthquake, so Excadrill can afford to take another hit, spin, and then attack.

Mandibuzz
252+ SpA Draco Plate Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 284-336 (67.1 - 79.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Fares okay on very hazard heavy teams which will have SR, but Mandibuzz can Roost after eating the first Draco and/or Defog on the switch

I'm admittedly grasping at straws for advantages, but Nidoking and Nidoqueen might find a niche as TS setters matching up better against some fatter balance teams and their hazard removers. However, I think this is only if Landorus goes, not only for removing their main SF competition, but also since Landorus's presence generally hinders the usage of these types of fat teams due to the risk of him breaking them.

I've used Nidoking and Nidoqueen in UU before but that was a long time ago. Anyways, the only reason I actually remember these two is because of their freaking gigantic offensive movepools with things like Sludge Wave/Bomb, Earth Power, Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, and even Surf. This gives them some insane coverage to work with. Their main competition in OU is Landorus who is being suspected right now (I'm guessing 80% majority ban lol) so if Landorus is banned these two might actually be ranked. Not only will they become the only (maybe) viable non-Mega Sheer Force user (special SF user), but they also have some utility in Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes, the former which is pretty much a must on any competent team and the latter which is good for wearing down the plethora of balanced teams right now. These two traits combined with actual offensive presence unlike Forretress (lol) and Smeargle (lol even more) might actually make them viable.

However, if Landorus doesn't get banned...well they still have TSpikes over it, as well as a more colourful movepool but I highly doubt that would make them viable. As a TSpiker they face competition from Tentacruel and Dragalge. Tentacruel also has Rapid Spin and the ability check fairies and Gengar while Dragalge also checks Gengar + a bunch of others like Thundurus, Zard Y, and Keldeo. Nidoqueen is a bit more defensive as opposed to offensive but I don't think it'll be checking much outside of some fairies and maybe some physical attackers that I'm not remembering.

Anyways, that's all I have to say for now.

I've used Nidoking and Nidoqueen in UU before but that was a long time ago. Anyways, the only reason I actually remember these two is because of their freaking gigantic offensive movepools with things like Sludge Wave/Bomb, Earth Power, Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, and even Surf. This gives them some insane coverage to work with. Their main competition in OU is Landorus who is being suspected right now (I'm guessing 80% majority ban lol) so if Landorus is banned these two might actually be ranked. Not only will they become the only (maybe) viable non-Mega Sheer Force user (special SF user), but they also have some utility in Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes, the former which is pretty much a must on any competent team and the latter which is good for wearing down the plethora of balanced teams right now. These two traits combined with actual offensive presence unlike Forretress (lol) and Smeargle (lol even more) might actually make them viable.

However, if Landorus doesn't get banned...well they still have TSpikes over it, as well as a more colourful movepool but I highly doubt that would make them viable. As a TSpiker they face competition from Tentacruel and Dragalge. Tentacruel also has Rapid Spin and the ability check fairies and Gengar while Dragalge also checks Gengar + a bunch of others like Thundurus, Zard Y, and Keldeo. Nidoqueen is a bit more defensive as opposed to offensive but I don't think it'll be checking much outside of some fairies and maybe some physical attackers that I'm not remembering.

Anyways, that's all I have to say for now.

Granted, he's a Physical set-up sweeper, but this is another competition for mon for SF, boasting a similar speed tier, and a higher main offense without mentioning boosting moves. Nidos' main advantages are hazards and a ridiculous movepool, but yeah, as all out SF attackers go, Feraligatr here still presents some competiton.

Been thinking about how these two would fair if lando I left ou. Honestly both nidos are pretty decent toxic spike setters and I think nidoqueen has a niche over dragalge as it resists fairy while having more general speed.(but nidoqueens speed is still meh) also nidoqueens got some good mixed bulk so that's cool. its pretty weird how both rats have crazy coverage. Nidoking on the other hand seems more useful for more offensive teams and last time I checked nidoking has potential still for a lo set. Want to point out he gets sucker punch so that's something. Also this thing has pretty good potential fore lireing stuff as its even got some physical moves that can seriously surprise others. Also WHY DOES NIDOKING LEARN CONFUSION?

nidoqueen is a good pokemon. with defensive ev spreads it checks a lot of stuff while also getting up both tspikes + stealth rock. poison stab is nice for clefable which it hits hard even without investment due to sheer force. i run physically defensive with a little bit of speed and toxic spikes / stealth rock / sludge wave / earth power and it's been working really well for me so far, tspikes + sr on its own is a nice niche but the good physical bulk invested as well as the poison and ground stabs make it actually really nice.

as for nidoking well i'm sure that'll be pretty decent after landorus gets banned because it's really difficult to switch into an unknown set of earth power / sludge wave / fire blast | ice beam | thunderbolt | sucker punch

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This week's Pokemon is Haxorus!

When Haxorus was revealed, people immediately noticed its huge attack stat, which back then was higher than that of any non-legendary with the exception of Rampardos, and unlike Rampardos, it had ways to boost its attack via Dragon Dance and Swords Dance. However, as the generation went on, it became more and more obvious that Haxorus wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Becuase, despite its raw power, its lack of bulk, speed, and secondary typing meant that it had a very hard time setting itself apart from other Dragon Dancers such as Dragonite, Gyarados and Salamence. This got even worse in XY and then in ORAS, when a bunch of Megas gave it, and other DDers, very fierce competition.

However, Haxorus still has a few tricks up its sleeve. Its access to Swords Dance can turn it into a potent wallbreaker, and although it suffers from fierce competition from Garchomp in that departement due to its far higher bulk and acess to STAB Earthquake, Haxorus sets itself apart from it by its acess to Taunt, which can cause huge trouble for defensive Pokemon like Skarmory and Slowbro which often rely on status moves to check it, and are unable to recover against it. And,thanks to Mold Breaker, it can Taunt Sableye and not have its boosts blocked by Quagsire. So, are these advanatges enough to give it some edge over its competition?

Haxorus also has Poison Jab, which when combined with Mold Breaker gives it a way of threatening Unaware Clefable:

+2 252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 336-396 (85.4 - 100.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (keep in mind that's the wall set)

It needs to predict that switch and grab the +2, of course, and hopefully you're not facing the physically-defensive set without rocks up. But this is yet another thing Haxorus can do well--arguably not as well as Mold Breaker Taunt, but it's something.

Haxorus's access to the coveted mold breaker is enough of an advantage over other dragons as it lets it bypass unaware clefable which can stop physical dragons not called charizard x and it ignores levitate so you can hit rotom-w without resorting to outrage. It also unlike the mega dragon dancers does not take up a mega slot and unlike dragonite it lacks a rock weakness which both of these advantages are pretty damn relevant. It's speed is also much better sitting at 97 compared to 80. Hopefully won't get shot down for this but I find taunt on haxorus really overrated and overhyped as while it can bypass mega Sableye's magic bounce courtesy to mold breaker this is a risky play as most sableye's often run foul play which rips it to shreds. Sure you can troll hippo chesnaught and skarm with it but you miss out on poison jab which is a lot more important as it lets you bop mega Altaria and for clefable which are much more threatening to haxorus then hippo is and giving mega altaria a free turn is much worse then letting hippo chesnaught and skarmory get a free turn.

Gimmick

Electric potential
Haxorus's access to the coveted mold breaker is enough of an advantage over other dragons as it lets it bypass unaware clefable which can stop physical dragons not called charizard x and it ignores levitate so you can hit rotom-w without resorting to outrage. It also unlike the mega dragon dancers does not take up a mega slot and unlike dragonite it lacks a rock weakness which both of these advantages are pretty damn relevant. It's speed is also much better sitting at 97 compared to 80. Hopefully won't get shot down for this but I find taunt on haxorus really overrated and overhyped as while it can bypass mega Sableye's magic bounce courtesy to mold breaker this is a risky play as most sableye's often run foul play which rips it to shreds. Sure you can troll hippo chesnaught and skarm with it but you miss out on poison jab which is a lot more important as it lets you bop mega Altaria and for clefable which are much more threatening to haxorus then hippo is and giving mega altaria a free turn is much worse then letting hippo chesnaught and skarmory get a free turn.
I'm not shooting you down or anything, but I disagree with the fact that Taunt is overrated. This is especially pertinent to the current Landorus-I suspect test going on because some people are saying that Stall and Balance would become too difficult to deal with if Landorus leaves OU. Taunt SD Haxorus is a great counterargument to that statement as it can singlehandedly beat slower, defensive teams all on its own with minimal support--especially thanks to Mold Breaker muscling its way past Unaware Quagsire and Clefable. Here's a set that I actually used a bit in the suspect test ladder:

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Outrage
- Superpower

I don't recommend running that EV spread on just any team since it's pretty slow, but one of the teams I was using struggled with Balance and Stall, so I decided it was only necessary to outspeed Jolly Bisharp. Superpower was my coverage move of choice as it can deal with Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Skarmory in just one move. Lum Berry was nice for setting up on weak Scalds from stuff like Slowbro, Quagsire, and Alomomola. Plus, Haxorus is strong enough to really make Lum Berry useful:

+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 318-375 (80.7 - 95.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+4 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 268-316 (80.2 - 94.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 378-445 (95.9 - 112.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

That's also why I decided on Outrage over Dragon Claw. If my opponent had a Fairy type in the first place, I wasn't going to set up anyway. About +4 on Skarmory--what usually happened was Stall tended to switch into Skarmory as I set up an SD and then proceeded to Whirlwind which is when you Taunt. Then, as they Brave Bird, you can set up to +4 and then OHKO Skarm.

One last thing: Haxorus excels on Sticky Web teams, which I think was a discussion point on the viability rankings thread. Sticky Web allows Haxorus to run SD vs more offensive teams as it's like going for Dragon Dance, but having its attack boosted by 2 stages (only against opposing grounded Pokemon ofc). In that case, I'd run enough speed to outspeed -1 Timid Mega Sceptile as well as Poison Jab over Taunt to hit Fairies. I think Dragon / Poison / Fighting is perfect coverage, so an unprepared opponent can easily lose half their team to this extremely powerful monster. Plus, one of the most common Choice Scarf Pokemon in the tier, Landorus-T, is outsped by a Jolly Haxorus at +1, so there is some merit to its Dragon Dance set.

Haxorus does not come without its faults, though. Mono Dragon typing leaves it with a pretty mediocre typing for a set-up sweeper, resisting only Water, Grass, and Fire (edit: thank you pika pal, it also resists Electric which is nice for Rotom-W and non HP Ice Zapdos). Grass type moves, espcially in ORAS OU, tend to be pretty weak in the first place while the most popular Water move has a 30% chance to Burn. Resisting Fire is nice, but Fire types are pretty barren in OU and most of them have other moves that can hit Haxorus excruciatingly hard, such as Talonflame's Brave Bird. Unlike Dragonite, Haxorus's ability doesn't grant it an easy Dragon Dance. Unlike M-Altaria, Haxorus has no immunities and has less-than-decent bulk, weighing in at 76/90/70 as opposed to M-Altaria's 75/110/105. It's obvious that Haxorus faces competition from the other notorious Dragons in OU and can really only play an offensive role, whereas the others have quite a few other sets up their sleeves. Zard-X can be bulky wisp, Dragonite can use bulky DD, special, or the parashuffler set, Altaria can be bulky DD or special, Garchomp can be a Tank, SR Lead, SD, or Mixed Mega, and Lati@s has access to Defog. However, Haxorus has something over them, and that is Taunt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)