XY RU THE PURPLE SQUAD

THE PURPLE SQUAD
Welcome all frens to my first RMT :]. I am showing off the best team I have ever created, the team that got me a 25 game win streak on the RU ladder and peaked at #1. This team is based on my preferred playstyle, semistall; with a 4 poke defensive core and two offensive sweepers, it has the potential to wall almost all threats and still allow for prediction and dynamic play, with late game sweeps as win conditions.

The Team:

Past Changes:

Alomomola Switched for Gligar

Alo wasn't a necessity on my team as I already possessed a wish passer, and I needed a poke to set up stealth rocks and wall physical stuff. The clear answer was gligar. However this meant that I needed a different spinner/defogger.

Hitmonchan Switched for Hitmonlee

Self explanatory. A more interesting note is that I prefer running top over lee, but that will be covered in his description.

Gurdurr Switched for Drapion
This team used to get bopped badly by bulky set up pokes (reuniclus, cresselia, spiritomb, sigilyph, and so on), so I switched out gurdurr (which didn't do much anyways) for SpDef drapion, which goes to town on all those psychic bulky set up pokes.

Aromatisse for Audino
With the addition of the based lord of this team, and the ru and nu tiers as a whole, audino, the team entered its final phase. My main difficulty with aromatisse was that, if I wanted to wish pass, I often had to pass at less than full health, healing the other poke, but leaving aroma incapable of walling that specs poke that threatens my team (banmega, exploud, meloetta, and so on). My defensive structure would crumble. The solution to this was to switch out aromatisse for audino, meaning that audino could wish pass at 60/70 percent and still be able to safely come back in and fulfill its role, thanks to the almighty regenerator.

Delphox for Cresselia
So zoroark and banmega got banned, strengthening a bulky set up poke like CM cresselia exponentially. Noting this, and listening to #BasedMolk, I decided to replace delphox with cress, as cress still performs the role of being the win condition and breaking stall down, while being bulk af and giving me a much needed check to the fire bird of death (not you fletch). And it's worked out. A LOT, CM cress is a threat my gawd.

Spiritomb for Doublade
Playing on the ladder, I began to notice that doublade was serving very little purpose on my team. Most high level teams were prepared for it, and other than spinblocking it did very little. So I decided to switch it out for my favorite ghost type, spiritomb, and decided to run the infiltrator black glasses set so that I could burn certain spinners (hitmontop with foresight, hitmonlee) and pursuit trap specific pokes (meloetta, claydol KEK). Furthermore the sucker punch priority is extremely useful in crippling threats like clawitzer or exploud, where sucker punch from tomb +knock off from drapion can take either out. Also, it is a good check to sub BU braviary, which is a meanie.

HERE WE GO

PURPLE #1 (Gligar) @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

The most common lead. Since the team has toxic spikes, running defog is counterproductive, so gligar fulfills the role of setting up rocks instead of blowing them away. With delphox off the team, knock off proves to be a much more useful move, allowing gligar to counter doublade much easier as well as cripple other threats. Oh yeah, and it's the main defensive wall of the team, so its important to preserve its eviolite if the opponent has physical threats.

PURPLE #2 (Audino) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

The most important poke on the team, and one of the most underrated pokes in the tier. Audino is the main special wall on the team, and supports the rest of the team with status removal and wish passing. The knock off is very useful for item removal of course, and it is also very key as Audino can safely knock off the eviolite on gligar, allowing delphox to OHKO it with its fire blast, which it couldn't do before. In general, if audino goes down early in the game, the defensive core crumbles and the squad self-destructs. DON'T LET THIS THING DIE TILL THE VERY END.

PURPLE #3 (Drapion) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Knock Off
- Taunt

SpDef Drapion is a complete and utter boss. It is the secondary special wall on the team, the counter to bulky set up, the necessary knock off spam, the roar to wreck that damn baton pass, and, a vital part to the team, toxic spikes. In general, the purple squad has some difficulty killing bulky threats. Toxic spikes allow the team to toxic and stall out bulky threats that pose a danger (such as slowking). Drapion is also a very necessary tool to combat full stall teams, as taunt and toxic spikes cut down on recovery. And the speed allows it to creep on sigilyph and taunt it to avoid those nasty burns.

PURPLE #4 (Spiritomb) @ Blackglasses
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/ 4 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sucker Punch
- Pain Split
- Pursuit

PURPLE #5 (Hitmontop) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Toxic

The top in general has a variety of purposes: removing hazards, knock off fodder, and counter to specific threats (cincinno, physical sharpedo, zoroark). The foresight is quite necessary to allow hitmontop to spin on spinblockers (doublade Im talking about you). It is the secondary wall that is very necessary to back up gligar, as it can switch in to absorb the knock offs, intimidate powerful threats, allowing gligar to wall them, and just in general be an awesome g.

PURPLE #6 (Cresselia) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Moonlight

PURPLE #1 (Gligar) @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
Impish Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

PURPLE #2 (Audino) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

PURPLE #3 (Drapion) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Knock Off
- Taunt

PURPLE #5 (Hitmontop) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Toxic

Purple #6 (Cresselia) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Spiritomb @ Black Glasses
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Pain Split

Thanks for looking this team over :]
Leave any thoughts!
-CFB

PS- Shoutouts to Expulso for giving me that SpDef Drapion set way back in the day. Without him this team would never have gotten off the ground. :]

Edits made in purple
Future edits in red

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey CutForBiebarel, nice team!

The main issue that I see with your team is that you don't really have a lot for Fire-types such as Moltres and Delphox, especially when Audino isn't that hard to force out / beat. To fix this, I am going to suggest trying out an Assault Vest Slowking over Audino:

Slowking @ Assault Vest
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

While you lose a Wish passer, you will gain bulkier pivot with more offensive presence, which should greatly benefit your team. The Speed EV is random and to creep other Slowkings and other threats that may speed creep Slowking to beat it one on one, but you can change it if you want. Modest with Max SpA is used to give it as much power as possible. Oh and I think Shiny Slowking is a bit purple too :)

Next, I am going to suggest a faster spread for Doublade:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw

56 Speed EVs is to outspeed 0 Speed Rhyperior, which should help you if you need Doublade to beat Rhyperior more easily. You should also know that for a while now, Rhyperior have been using a lot of speed creep too (idk about ladder, but in tour games they do), so I will leave it to you if you think you should run more Speed or just keep it at 56. Doublade is really bulky as it is too, so more or less HP evs shouldn't change anything :)

Hope I helped!

Hey CutForBiebarel, nice team!

The main issue that I see with your team is that you don't really have a lot for Fire-types such as Moltres and Delphox, especially when Audino isn't that hard to force out / beat. To fix this, I am going to suggest trying out an Assault Vest Slowking over Audino:

Slowking @ Assault Vest
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

While you lose a Wish passer, you will gain bulkier pivot with more offensive presence, which should greatly benefit your team. The Speed EV is random and to creep other Slowkings and other threats that may speed creep Slowking to beat it one on one, but you can change it if you want. Modest with Max SpA is used to give it as much power as possible. Oh and I think Shiny Slowking is a bit purple too :)

Next, I am going to suggest a faster spread for Doublade:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw

56 Speed EVs is to outspeed 0 Speed Rhyperior, which should help you if you need Doublade to beat Rhyperior more easily. You should also know that for a while now, Rhyperior have been using a lot of speed creep too (idk about ladder, but in tour games they do), so I will leave it to you if you think you should run more Speed or just keep it at 56. Doublade is really bulky as it is too, so more or less HP evs shouldn't change anything :)

Hope I helped!
Taken into account. Switching the evs on doublade seems like a good idea. Idk about the slowking tho, audino is kind of my trademark. Delphox really has never given me trouble as audino and drapion can handle it, but moltres is a massive threat to my team, although audino can generally wall it and pp stall its attacks as long as it isnt sub toxic, and if it is, I can generally wish pass into drapion then either taunt, knock off, or whirlwind accordingly. Anyways, thanks for the feedback, Ill try out the new doublade evs.

Hey dude nice team you have here. I'm going to agree with the EV change on Doublade, as Soulgazer said 56 Spe is needed for Rhyperior and that is pretty important in the tier right now. In terms of changes that can made I don't see a lot of room when it comes to the defensive core as changing one member to fix something will just open up a weakness to something else. Delphox while being very good, seems like the most replaceable member. I think you should test out Calm Mind Reuniclus over it, Reuniclus can also serve as the win condition in matches and especially against Stall. You lose the immediate fire power but gain the ability to not be worn down by hazards and access to Recover. Reuniclus also really appreciates Toxic Spikes support which your team offers, this change definitely isn't necessary but I think it's worth you trying out.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast
- Recover

I hope I was able to help.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey CutForBiebarel, cool team (i'm serious audino is p. cool honestly).

Looking at the rates above, i actually disagree with Soulgazer on trying out AV Slowking over Audino. Slowking might patch up your issues with Moltres/Delphox (Moltres moreso, getting to that later), but you lose something thats very, very important to your current team: a reliable wishpasser. This is a pretty stally team and Gligar is the only Pokemon other than Audino that has recovery outside of Leftovers, making the ability to wishpass to keep all of these alive pretty damn important.

However, i do fully support the EV spread change to Doublade, Rhyperior is a very important threat in the current metagame and attempting to Speed Creep it with Sword can net you way more wins than you'd think honestly.

I'm also in support of you trying out Calm Mind Reuniclus, it's a really really cool Pokemon in general and serves the stallbreaking role you were looking for quite well, although you do lose some Speed.

Now to help out with that Moltres weakness i have two suggestions you could try out.

The first and simplest suggestion is just to use either Stone Edge or Toxic over Mach Punch on Hitmontop. You mention Mach Punch comes in handy because its unexpected, but from personal experience i really don't see it :/. Both Stone Edge and Toxic allow you to kill or cripple Moltres on the switch in, either outright luring it out if you predict correctly, or making it think twice about coming in again later on in the game. With this you're limiting the amount of ways Moltres can really switch in safely (it already has to worry about Gligar U-turning to Audino, Drapion's Knock Off, etc), and therefore helping deal with it as a threat.

My second suggestion is to try out Calm Mind Cresselia over Delphox. Cresselia is *extremely* bulky, and because of this doesn't even need full defensive investment to avoid the 2HKO from Moltres Fire Blast after Stealth Rock damage, giving you another potential check to the fire bird. Because of Cresselia's incredible bulk, it still functions as a win condition for your team too, although its lack of power means it needs to set up more than Delphox or Reuniclus to pose a real offensive threat (and its vulnerability to Toxic means stall teams have an easier time with it than Reuniclus, although Heal Bell helps a little bit here).

Between Cresselia, Moltres no longer getting a free switch in to Hitmontop, and your Knock Off users ensuring Moltres will have to sacrifice a bit of its Firepower to switch in safely, you should have an easier time against the fire bird.

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast / Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

The EVs ensure Life Orb Moltres will never 2HKO with Fire Blast or Hurricane after Stealth Rock without a crit.[/IMG]

Additional Note: if you ever feel like you're struggling with Doublade with or without these changes, adding Knock Off on Gligar should do the trick

EDIT: OH just one last thing, i'd suggest changing Drapion's EV Spread slightly so it always outspeeds max speed Modest Exploud instead of speed tying with it, this ensures that you can Knock Off its Eviolite before it Boombursts 1v1, making it much less threatening to the rest of your team, especially if you decide to use Cresselia.

Last edited:
Hey CutForBiebarel, cool team (i'm serious audino is p. cool honestly).

Looking at the rates above, i actually disagree with Soulgazer on trying out AV Slowking over Audino. Slowking might patch up your issues with Moltres/Delphox (Moltres moreso, getting to that later), but you lose something thats very, very important to your current team: a reliable wishpasser. This is a pretty stally team and Gligar is the only Pokemon other than Audino that has recovery outside of Leftovers, making the ability to wishpass to keep all of these alive pretty damn important.

However, i do fully support the EV spread change to Doublade, Rhyperior is a very important threat in the current metagame and attempting to Speed Creep it with Sword can net you way more wins than you'd think honestly.

I'm also in support of you trying out Calm Mind Reuniclus, it's a really really cool Pokemon in general and serves the stallbreaking role you were looking for quite well, although you do lose some Speed.

Now to help out with that Moltres weakness i have two suggestions you could try out.

The first and simplest suggestion is just to use either Stone Edge or Toxic over Mach Punch on Hitmontop. You mention Mach Punch comes in handy because its unexpected, but from personal experience i really don't see it :/. Both Stone Edge and Toxic allow you to kill or cripple Moltres on the switch in, either outright luring it out if you predict correctly, or making it think twice about coming in again later on in the game. With this you're limiting the amount of ways Moltres can really switch in safely (it already has to worry about Gligar U-turning to Audino, Drapion's Knock Off, etc), and therefore helping deal with it as a threat.

My second suggestion is to try out Calm Mind Cresselia over Delphox. Cresselia is *extremely* bulky, and because of this doesn't even need full defensive investment to avoid the 2HKO from Moltres Fire Blast after Stealth Rock damage, giving you another potential check to the fire bird. Because of Cresselia's incredible bulk, it still functions as a win condition for your team too, although its lack of power means it needs to set up more than Delphox or Reuniclus to pose a real offensive threat (and its vulnerability to Toxic means stall teams have an easier time with it than Reuniclus, although Heal Bell helps a little bit here).

Between Cresselia, Moltres no longer getting a free switch in to Hitmontop, and your Knock Off users ensuring Moltres will have to sacrifice a bit of its Firepower to switch in safely, you should have an easier time against the fire bird.

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast / Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

The EVs ensure Life Orb Moltres will never 2HKO with Fire Blast or Hurricane after Stealth Rock without a crit.[/IMG]

Additional Note: if you ever feel like you're struggling with Doublade with or without these changes, adding Knock Off on Gligar should do the trick

EDIT: OH just one last thing, i'd suggest changing Drapion's EV Spread slightly so it always outspeeds max speed Modest Exploud instead of speed tying with it, this ensures that you can Knock Off its Eviolite before it Boombursts 1v1, making it much less threatening to the rest of your team, especially if you decide to use Cresselia.
Thanks for the suggestions Molk, I tried out the knock off on gligar, cress set, and toxic on hitmontop, and they all are working out very well. But with knock off on gligar and drap, I don't really think running it on audino is a very good option. Any suggestions for a fourth move? (I'm thinking like return or toxic).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)