The Sandy Days of Heatran

Team Origin:
I was in a Skype chat with my opponent for a monotype tourney that we were both in the finals for. During this chat, we were talking about another tournament he was in where he lost in the finals and how Dugtrio was a bit of a nuisance to him. He wanted to make a team around Hippowdon since it doesn't get hosed to Dugtrio due to its great bulk. So we made the team. Little did I know that our team would become maybe my favorite team to run.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Hippowdon is the defensive buff of this team being able to sponge Terrakion's hits beautifully while being able to set up hazards and recover. Earthquake is Hippowdon's STAB move of choice. Stealth Rocks is mandatory for the metagame due to all the threats in OU like Kyurem-Black & Volcarona. Slack Off is on the Hippo to recover lost health during battle. I carry Whirlwind over Ice Fang to phaze out stat boosters. I don't need to worry about Landorus-T or Latios that much because I am built enough to sponge any of their hits.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

If I had to choose an MVP for this team, Celebi may have to be it as she has helped me out in many cases. Her specially defensive prowess is used to sponge hits from threats like Rotom-W, Keldeo, Thundurus-T, etc. Giga Drain is Celebi's STAB move as it will allow her to regain health from various threats in rain teams. Recover is used to recover health on switches or if I know Celebi can tank a hit and Recover. Thunder Wave is on here to cripple fast threats or threats on the switch. Baton Pass over U-Turn is a little peculiar, but I carry it for one reason: Pursuit. If Celebi uses U-Turn, Scizor or Tyranitar can still nail her with Pursuit and ruin my day. Baton Pass isn't affected by Pursuit and I can have Hippowdon tank a Pursuit from Scizor or Tyranitar.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Superpower

Scizor is my main buster for various Dragon types, Psychics, and Kyurem-Black. Bullet Punch is for Priority and to nail Kyurem-Black and Terrakion for super effective damage. Pursuit is used for Celebi (whom I ironically gave BP for this EXACT reason), the Lati Twins, and other Psychics. U-Turn is key for Scizor to give the team switch initiative and go out to something that can handle the threat on the other side of the field. Superpower is mandatory to leave a heavy hit on the various steels out there.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 120 SAtk / 52 SDef / 88 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The first of two trump cards on this team (and the one that I think is most open for change). This Rotom-W's EV spread was recommended for me to tank Hurricanes from Tornadus while being able to outspeed Adamant Scizor and nail it with HP Fire (which is why I have HP Fire on this set outside being able to nail steels & Abomasnow along with other various Grass types). Hydro Pump is Rotom's best STAB for this set being able to nail threats like Ninetales for Super Effective Damage (although the damage is nerfed due to the sun). Volt Switch has a place on the set to gain initiative for the team and start VoltTurn chains with Scizor. I run the Resto-Chesto strategy to bluff the Choice item and when the opportunity strikes, Rest up and get back my health. Counterproductive to what my sand team is doing, but it works well.

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 8 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

I originally had a Jellicent in this spot to block Rapid Spin, but Jellicent was holding the team back a little bit. The Will-O-Wisp access was nice, but at the end of the day, Starmie has taken Jellicent's place and has been doing good in it. Scald is Starmie's primary STAB move and is great for getting burns on whatever. Rapid Spin is mandatory for blowing away those problematic hazards. Recover's on the set to gain more opportunities to spin again (or if I need Starmie to beat Keldeo). Psyshock rounds out the set nailing Fighting types like Breloom or Terrakion or poison types like Toxicroak and Venusaur on the switch. The EV spread was chosen for Starmie to tank unboosted Terrakion's Stone Edge while outspeeding Base 111s.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is the 2nd trump card of my team. The origin behind choosing ScarfTran was kinda simple. While we were making the team, I was like "Hey, let's make Heatran Scarfed. That way we can beat Dugtrios without Focus Sashes and Venusaurs without Earthquake." Very few have seen it coming. In fact, my first battle with this team, I busted a Life Orbed Dugtrio and seized momentum for the rest of the match. Modest is over Timid for extra power and Aerodactyl and Jolteon are non-issues for this team. I run dual-STAB in the form of Overheat & Flamethrower to basically roast stuff. Overheat to nail anything that wants to switch in (bar opposing Heatrans) and Flamethrower if I know that I can take out the opposition and if I don't want to miss really. Earth Power has its spot on the set to hurt Steels like opposing Heatrans. Hidden Power Ice rounds out the set to dent Landorus-T, Gliscor, and the various dragons that plague the tier bar Kyurem-B.

Conclusion:
Ever since I made this team with my friend, RobotnikIsSexy, this team has become probably my favorite team to run in OU. Some things I'd like to point out for it. 1: SUN TEAMS WITH SASHED DUGTRIO AND VENUSAUR ARE A PROBLEM! If Heatran dies too early to Dugtrio, Venusaur can open a hurt can on this team. 2: Kyurem-Black with Substitute can be VERY problematic for this team. I've experienced this first hand as Sub 3 Attacks Kyurem-Black has manhandled this team a few times. I hope you guys like this team and if you have any changes you'd recommend, please inform me.

PS: If you want spoilers for the tournament, I wound up on the wrong end of a RP Lando-I sweep and lost 2-0. However, I made it to the finals of a 24 man monotype tourney with a Magikarp (I brought the Karp for lolz...that coupled the facts that I like to bring silly stuff to monotype matches and I wanted to joke around by trying to win a tournament with a Magikarp) so that wasn't so bad. :P

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 8 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Superpower

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 120 SAtk / 52 SDef / 88 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)