The Screening Process is Fun [OU]

So this team was originally built around setting up an Empoleon sweep. I don't use the Toxic Spikes mentioned in the analysis because I tried out that strategy and I found that most Pokemon in today's metagame are either Levitating, Steel, or are already easily KO'd by Empoleon (there may be a few exceptions but I found TSpikes not to work well). Anyway, while building the team, I found that Infernape was a HUGE problem for me. This led me to the addition to Latias. I didn't want to run the usual Latias sets because then that makes me weaker to Blissey who Empoleon cannot beat and since I'm setting up for a sweep, I thought it'd be best to have a supporting set. I use the Dual Screens mainly to set up my other wall-breakers and once the opponent's team is all nice and squishy, I go in for the kill with Empoleon.

Well this team isn't like regular teams and I think that's where my problems start. I don't try to counter everything in the meta. This team is really offensive and all of my defenses come from switching in Rotom-h, Salamence, or Infernape on a resisted attack while having Dual Screens up. This strategy has worked great for me when it is successful but when it backfires, boy does it backfire. Ideally, I'd like to keep the same strategy but I'm welling to change the sets most Pokemon and even the Pokemon picks of everyone except Latias and Empoleon.

Well enough set up (thats what my team does haha); here's the team!

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/236 Atk/12 Def/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Explosion / Meteor Mash
---

Standard LeadGross. I've used a lot of leads with this team but ever since I added Latias, I felt that this lead was essential to getting Dual Screens up early. Against most leads, I always set Rocks on turn 1, even if the opposing lead is another Gross or Swampert. I know they'll EQ me but the point of this team and this lead is build momentum. I usually eat an EQ, set up Rocks, and switch to Latias who resists everything Metagross. I'm trying out Explosion over Meteor Mash right now but I'm not liking it since now I don't have access to a powerful STAB move and I want to keep EQ since I always have this guy late game because I always switch him out in the beginning. I'm thinking of dropping Explosion. I chose Occa Berry because it's important to get Rocks up on turn one and Heatran leads might deny me this if I don't have the Berry.

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch
---

The first wave sweeper. Physical-Life Orb Nape is great at catching opponents off guard. I use him over MixNape because I wanted a strong, decieving sweeper. Stone Edge gets a 2HKO on Gyarados and usually forces him out right after he switches in on me and I use Mach Punch in the last slot because it is so useful to have. It stops opposing Empoleon sweeps and can really save me from Scizor. Flare Blitz OHKOs Rotoms trying to come in on Close Combat. Dual Screens don't really do as much for this guy as it does with the rest of my team because of Close Combat's defense drops but it does allow him to switch in easier and to survive an attack if I switch him in safely.

Infernape is like an Ace for me because he can shuffle the opponent's team thanks to the physical set being used and because he can threaten to inflict huge damage on the likes of Celebi, Blissey, Gyarados, and nonscarfed-Rotoms who can potentially stop or hold up Empoleon's sweep. I max speed to revenge those opposing Napes who try to force the speed tie. I usually bring Infernape in after someone on my team has died and while Dual Screens is up.

Latias (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spd/4 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Wish
- Draco Meteor / Roar
---

The opening act for my whole team. Latias is pretty much the core of my whole team and it the battle gets hard when she dies early. The Dual Screens provide my whole team with extra defenses necessary for their move sets to be maximized. Dual Screens have won me so many battles it's crazy that they aren't used as much. Well anyway, the Dual Screens are pretty much for Empoleon, Rotom, Infernape, and Salamence. I usually don't switch Metagross in while the Screens are up but I will if he's alive and I need him to check an opposing Pokemon. Wish is a god-send to this team since most of them time, I'll sweep through two oppoesing Pokemon with the likes of Rotom or Salamence through Dual Screens and then later on, I can pass them a Wish and maybe one Screen to finish off the game. Light Clay is necessary for this stratgy to be effective.

I've lost one game due to not being able to attack (Latias was the last Pokemon I had left) and I hated it. I added Draco Meteor just because Latias will never be in long and won't mind the attack drop. She also won't be attacking much so the low PP doesn't really matter. However, I hardly use Meteor and I find myself wanting Roar just to stop anything that tries to set up on her once the realize what I'm doing. I never really use that fourth move though.

Rotom-h @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 64 HP/212 Spd/232 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Charge Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
---

Rotom-h is awesome at the mind games. Everyone and their mothers are so afraid of Overheat and WoW that they switch to Heatran or Blissey while I sub up. It's really amazing. 1v1, Rotom will beat Blissey and Heatran's who aren't Scarf'd. HP Fighting is needed for all of those Lukes and TTars switching into me hoping to set up or revenge me. The EVs let me outspeed said Luke and 2HKO TTar. This guy can rip through teams with Dual Screens thanks to his resistances and immunities.

Rotom-h helps the team the same way Infernape does by handling some counters that Empoleon has while sweeping through a Pokemon or two on the opposing team. Although I can't directly switch Rotom-h in on Blissey because of Twave and Toxic, I can predict around those moves and throw up a Sub when she tries to status me. If they stay in on my sub then I'm definetly getting a kill with Rotom because Bliss fails to one-shot my subs. With Dual Screens, Rotom also handles and sets up on Vaporeon and Gyarados as well as setting up on many other Pokemon thanks to the ability of Subs not breaking in one-shot thanks to the Screens.

Empoleon (M) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 12 HP/12 Def/232 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Substitute
- Surf
- Ice Beam
---

The star of the show! Empoleon is the most effective sweeper I've ever used and his strategy is simple. Come in on something that's forced to switched (I love opposing Latias'), Agility as they switch, then sub down to Petaya boost to end up with a +1 SAtk and +2 Spe with a Torrent boosted Surf. I chose Ice Beam because I hate Celebi and Dragons who resist both Grass and Water attacks. The Dual Screens help this guy so much because I can potentially end up with the aformentioned stat boosts as well as a sub. I usually end all my games sweeping with this guy. So many resistances, so powerful and with Dual Screens, this strategy is full-proof if it goes off.

Salamence (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Claw
---
The oddball pick but a necessary one. Empoleon cannot OHKO Swampert and Gyarados and can't even beat Vaporeon. In fact, almost all bulkywaters beat Emp. Blissey and Snorlax all mess up Empoleon too and usually, these guys love switching in on Salamence cause they can handle his Outrages or Meteors but that's what I exploit. CBOutrage 2HKOs or OHKOs all of these guys. Salamence is also a great pick for Dual Screens thanks to his bulk, Intimidate, and power. It's hard to counter Salamence when you're facing CBOutrage or EQ while you're only doing 30-40%. Dragon Claw is a great attack for ripping in common counters to Mence and I usually choose it as his opening attacks to draw out any steel types that may be potential counters to this set.

I don't really like using a choice item on this team because it forces me switch out even with screens up but this guy always gets a kill if played correctly thanks to the unexpected CB. He also handles all the mentioned bulkywaters and Blissey who stop Emp. I use this guy to create holes in the team before opening up with Emp.

Well that's the team. I hope I explained enough to make it clear how I use the team and what the strategy is. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)